Tuesday, April 4, 2006 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 4, 2006 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 4, 2006 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GERMAN AMERICANS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He famously remarked, "We are all the President's men", giving Woodward & Bernstein their title

Craig Mobley: 1800+1800=3600
Michael Falk: 16200+1201=17401 (New Champ)
Lizard Hogge: 16800-13200= 3600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Henry Kissinger (Lizard – Einstien)

Daily Doubles
Michael: 2600-1000
Michael: 5000+2000
Lizard: 7000+7000

Coryats
Craig: 1800
Michael: 17200
Lizard: 11000

Combined: 30,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Craig: 1000
Michael: 3400
Lizard: 3000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ah, the classic, "I'd like to shoot the wad, Alex". :lol:

Michael caught a break when Lizard could not solve the quite gettable FJ! clue and it led to riches and more appearances.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

There was some discussion last time about Alex's reading the clue in a German accent, though he dropped it about halfway through, if I remember right. He reportedly said afterward that he became suddenly concerned about leading the contestants. Falk said that he was so focused on reading that he didn't notice, and I don't think Lizzard showed up to weigh in, so I wonder. I think I may have suggested Nixon's "Berlin Wall" of Haldeman and Ehrlichman as worthy of consideration before conceding that they didn't speak with foreign accents and that in any case both had passed their freshness dates by 2006, especially Ehrlichman, as we had been treated to the "Haldeman tapes" not that long before.
I'm smart and I want respect.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

53 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Salud), Protein, Shopaholic, Al Gore, Northeastern, Mount Kenya, Animal Crackers, Painting

NHO Holly Hunter and William Hurt film. That should not have been a $200 clue in my opinion.

Stacy's Mom is the only Fountains of Wayne song I know.

Have heard of "Born in East L.A.", couldn't pull it out though.

I actually do pretty well with very old films, but have not heard of "Sidewalks of New York".

Pretty sure I knew Hays Office at one time, but it wouldn't come to me at the moment.
Douglas Squasoni
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: WWII, "M"edicine, N to N,
Daily Doubles: :( :D :D
kept having to swat away skoal & slainte, couldn't think of salud. :?
knew of Hays Code, but didn't realize the censorship office was called the Hays Office. :x
trash: Muskie, Shopaholic, clip-on, Northeastern, Mt. Kenya,
FJ: Had Kissinger. :mrgreen:
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:04 pm I actually do pretty well with very old films, but have not heard of "Sidewalks of New York".
I'm guessing you were supposed to extrapolate the movie title from the song (albeit the 1894 song). Looking it up now, I see the movie was the biggest box office success of all Buster Keaton's films, though of course not quite the most essential Jeopardy knowledge.

"Sidewalks of London" was a 1938 film with Charles Laughton. I actually watched it on youtube not long ago. Odd, since I thought they didn't use the term "sidewalk" over there. There is even a question posted on Quora "why do Americans have a special word for sidewalk?"
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:04 pm NHO Holly Hunter and William Hurt film. That should not have been a $200 clue in my opinion.
Back in 2006 I suspect it still should have. Maybe not today. I don't know. It was nominated for Best Picture (lost to The Last Emperor) and Hunter was nominated for Best Actress (lost to Cher for Moonstruck) and Hurt was nominated for Best Actor (lost to Michael Douglas in Wall Street) and Albert Brooks was nominated for Best Supporting Actor (lost to Sean Connery for The Untouchables). Brooks was miffed at the time for being relegated to the "supporting" nomination when his character was more central than Hurt's and, if I recall, had the same amount of screen time. But it sort of fit with the themes of the movie that they guy with the real talent who was doing all the work didn't get recognized and the glitzy self-promoter did.

Interesting in a random way that we had two 1987 films in two different categories.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I’m guessing this the only instance of a player named Lizard on the show.

Fun to see Michael’s joy at winning the game. The Sesame Street people were fun as well.

Instaget FJ.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:06 pm I’m guessing this the only instance of a player named Lizard on the show.
Can confirm, at least from what's available in the Archive.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex mentioned the game from the day before had a bad J round and a bad FJ round. He was right about that. The total score going into FJ was -$200. Is that a record? Paging cheezyguy.

And the Wagering Vikings will love third place’s bet in FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Once again, no guess on FJ! and no idea how it's gettable.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Second episode in a row in this series with a Lindbergh-related clue, this time in J!.

I like Lizard.

For a split second, I thought "naranja" was "marijuana"

Was one of those eggs drooling yolk?

Also, "eggs are incredibly in rich in this" was a bad clue

Wasn't Captain Spaulding the character played by Loudon Wainwright III on a few episodes of M*A*S*H?

Surprised no one picked up "clip-on tie" from "rub-on tan"

I initially said "ape" then got "gorilla" right before Lizard rang in. But I'm curious, would "ape" have been accepted as is or garnered a BMS? Because I can see an argument both ways. I think the best argument against ape is "well, then how broad do you go? a primate? mammal? chordate? animal? living thing?" and I don't think you can clearly define a bright line, though you can argue that ape might be within wherever the line is.

Coryat: $44,000

J: 23R7P. Got DD. 5/5 on World War II and "S"panol. 4/5 on Chick Lit.

DJ: 25R5P. 2/2 on DDs. 5/5 on "M"edicine, Opera, Laying Things, and African Explorer. 2/5 on Captain Spaulding.

FJ: Instaget. German-American in the Nixon administration? Too easy.

LT: Ed Muskie, Dick Vermeil, Shopaholic, clip-on tie, Northeastern, Mt. Kenya, Hays (which was a reasonable guess from my knowledge of the Hays Code, but I didn't actually positively know that the organization responsible for enforcing it had the same name)
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Lefty wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:38 am There was some discussion last time about Alex's reading the clue in a German accent, though he dropped it about halfway through, if I remember right. He reportedly said afterward that he became suddenly concerned about leading the contestants. Falk said that he was so focused on reading that he didn't notice, and I don't think Lizzard showed up to weigh in, so I wonder.
The clue explicitly said "German-American," though, so while Kissinger's accent is well-known if there had been any other German-Americans (as opposed to Americans of German descent) at a top level in the administration it could have just as easily have led to them.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:07 pm Alex mentioned the game from the day before had a bad J round and a bad FJ round. He was right about that. The total score going into FJ was -$200. Is that a record? Paging cheezyguy.
That is one of only two games in the Archive where the contestants had a negative total going into DJ; in the other one the players had a combined -$1,400.

ETA: Thank you Michael for saying "S"PAÑOL correctly (más o menos) after Alex and Craig goofed it up.
Last edited by cheezguyty on Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

The post-credits outtakes with Alex and Elmo were delightful.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:50 pm For a split second, I thought "naranja" was "marijuana"
Same here! If it had just flashed on the screen, I'd have sworn that's what I saw. But then a few of the letters changed or switched places and naranja popped into focus.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

I'll be checking the box that says Alex's German accent helped me get this one. My first thought was Ehrlichman. Then I thought of Haldeman and wasn't sure if I should switch. As I debated that, I reran the clue in my head and remembered the accent and knew that it had to be Kissinger. I don't think I'd have gone there without the hint.