The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by MDaunt »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:57 pm I also considered jewelry as a small item whose weight could add up quickly.
I'll take a couple of pocketfuls if it gets to be too much for you.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:57 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:35 am Spoken like someone who's never had to move a box of books. They're dense, and efficient space-fillers to boot (I mean, in a way besides density, as they're generally flat and rectangular), and many people have enough to fill a few boxes, so it's really easy to bite off more than you can chew.
I HAVE had to move books, but I also own a lot of other small things that can add up in weight quickly. CDs, VHS tapes, DVDs. I also considered jewelry as a small item whose weight could add up quickly.
I've carried all those things in quantity before, and it's not even close. Books are much heavier. I've filled my car with books before and the car rode noticeably lower because of all the weight.

High quality jewelry might be relatively heavy, but as others have mentioned, you're never going to have enough of it to matter. Costume jewelry is light, so even if you somehow had a huge box of it, it's not going to be a problem to carry around.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:04 pm But they're not from any other state. Only California has a Kern or Imperial County. To me, Imperial County is well-known enough to be a Pavlov for California.
Come on, how do you expect me to Pavlov a generic-ass name like that? It's one of the plainest names a county could possibly have.

I have had to move books many times, but it just wasn't on my radar whatsoever. Overthinking? Underthinking?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:44 pm Once again, no guess on FJ! and no idea how it's gettable.
Henry Kissinger was born in Germany. He was Secretary of State under Richard Nixon. Woodward and Bernstein wrote a book called “All the President’s Men” which was about the Watergate scandal during the Nixon administration. It was made into a popular movie.

That’s how I got it.
cthulhu
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cthulhu »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:50 am
DBear wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:04 pm But they're not from any other state. Only California has a Kern or Imperial County. To me, Imperial County is well-known enough to be a Pavlov for California.
Come on, how do you expect me to Pavlov a generic-ass name like that? It's one of the plainest names a county could possibly have.

I have had to move books many times, but it just wasn't on my radar whatsoever. Overthinking? Underthinking?
Having a sense of state county names is just one of those things that pays off. Not every question has to have a TOM.

For moving books, if you’ve purchased moving boxes before, it’s not unusual for the small box (usually dimensions 12x12x18 inches) to be called a book box, and if you’ve ever packed a medium sized box of books full then tried to pick it up... :?
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Regarding the FJ for Monday 21 Dec 2020 aka Thursday 14 Oct 2004, TPH said in the game day thread (which I’m replying to in this thread):
I will say though that I had no friggin' clue on FJ! and don't see how this one was gettable.
The category was Famous Americans, clue was “After his public comments were criticized by FDR, he resigned his Air Corps Reserve commission in April 1941”

Here’s my TOM for this one:
  • timeframe: just prior to US entry into WW2; we were already supporting the British heavily with Lend-Lease (historical fact that a J! Player needs to know)
  • A Famous American said something that FDR, the US President and strong advocate of supporting the Brits and being opposed to the Axis powers, was critical of (restatement of the clue)
  • Reasonable assumption the Famous American said something against US involvement in a European conflict
  • Famous American was apparently a pilot as well
  • Charles Lindbergh was pretty well-known as one who publicly opposed US involvement in what was called by some a European conflict, and was also a famous aviator who could reasonably be assumed to be in the Air Corps Reserve (two facts that should be in a J! player’s databank)
  • Hence, Charles Lindbergh is a good choice for the answer
Eminently gettable in 5-10 seconds, assuming one knows some basic history about US involvement in WW2 and the debates about said involvement prior to Pearl Harbor. And the J! writers love WW2; it, the Civil War, and the Revolutionary War need to be high on the list of American history knowledge for J! contestants.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

cthulhu wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:50 am Regarding the FJ for Monday 21 Dec 2020 aka Thursday 14 Oct 2004, TPH said in the game day thread (which I’m replying to in this thread):
I will say though that I had no friggin' clue on FJ! and don't see how this one was gettable.
The category was Famous Americans, clue was “After his public comments were criticized by FDR, he resigned his Air Corps Reserve commission in April 1941”

Here’s my TOM for this one:
  • timeframe: just prior to US entry into WW2; we were already supporting the British heavily with Lend-Lease (historical fact that a J! Player needs to know)
  • A Famous American said something that FDR, the US President and strong advocate of supporting the Brits and being opposed to the Axis powers, was critical of (restatement of the clue)
  • Reasonable assumption the Famous American said something against US involvement in a European conflict
  • Famous American was apparently a pilot as well
  • Charles Lindbergh was pretty well-known as one who publicly opposed US involvement in what was called by some a European conflict, and was also a famous aviator who could reasonably be assumed to be in the Air Corps Reserve (two facts that should be in a J! player’s databank)
  • Hence, Charles Lindbergh is a good choice for the answer
Eminently gettable in 5-10 seconds, assuming one knows some basic history about US involvement in WW2 and the debates about said involvement prior to Pearl Harbor. And the J! writers love WW2; it, the Civil War, and the Revolutionary War need to be high on the list of American history knowledge for J! contestants.
That sounds like about six billion hoops you have to jump through just to get to that answer. There's literally no way to grind out THAT FRIGGIN' MUCH INFO in 30 seconds. I have no idea how anyone can sort through all of THAT spaghetti in 30 HOURS. What the hell do you think I am? Watson?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:54 am literally
You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

I parsed it while reading the clue (I missed the show and first saw the clue in this thread).

Actually, the category gets you started. Famous Americans.
Air Corps Reserve = Aviator
April 1941 = Pre-WWII

I instantly thought of Lindbergh as a famous pre-WWII aviator. Briefly considered whether he would've been too old for the reserves 14 years after his famous flight. But didn't have anything better. Didn't need anything better.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew about Lindbergh being an isolationist so that made it easier. I admit it makes it more difficult if you don’t know about it. However, I can’t name many pilots who were alive in 1941 that would be high profile enough to attract attention from FDR.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:35 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 am NHO "Dissent collar". That was a very weird clue.
RBG always (as far as I can tell) wore a lacy collar with her judge's robes. It's not that a "dissent collar" is really a thing; it's just that collars were a thing for her and, I guess, she had specific ones that she wore for dissents. I knew what the clue was going for, but I clammed because I didn't think of them as collars and didn't know what to call them.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:32 am Moving for $400 could have been anything. How did you get books out of that clue?
Spoken like someone who's never had to move a box of books. They're dense, and efficient space-fillers to boot (I mean, in a way besides density, as they're generally flat and rectangular), and many people have enough to fill a few boxes, so it's really easy to bite off more than you can chew.
(arriving late to the thread :))

I never heard of dissent collar, and on reveal of the answer, assumed it was a real fashion object. I'm just finding out here it has something to do with jurisprudence.

My reflex answer for the moving question was dishes, not books. A lot more downside to overloading dishes than books. Don't ask me how I know :). If you are smart enough to have books, do you need advice from U-haul?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Now "dishes," that's an understandable neg.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

jeffwolfe wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 8:23 am I parsed it while reading the clue (I missed the show and first saw the clue in this thread).

Actually, the category gets you started. Famous Americans.
Air Corps Reserve = Aviator
April 1941 = Pre-WWII

I instantly thought of Lindbergh as a famous pre-WWII aviator. Briefly considered whether he would've been too old for the reserves 14 years after his famous flight. But didn't have anything better. Didn't need anything better.
This took me a bit of thinking during the 30 seconds as I didn't immediately have the Lindbergh anti-war stance in mind, but I told myself they have to be asking for someone that is famous for being a pilot, or otherwise associated with flying, that's why the Air Corps clue is in there. I thought about Howard Hughes, seemed unlikely, Chuck Yeager, a strong maybe, Ted Williams was a fighter pilot but no way they are asking for that, and also considered the early Mercury astronauts, like John Glenn or Alan Shepherd (likely too young but close!) but felt someone associated with airplanes was definitely a likelier bet, then once I thought of Lindbergh I locked it in with pretty strong certainty.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:54 am There's literally no way to grind out THAT FRIGGIN' MUCH INFO in 30 seconds.
Yet many people did. I spelled it out in a lot of detail, but it can also be summarized as “Pre-WW2 famous aviator who had views different from FDR - sounds like Lindbergh!” But you have to know some stuff and be able to link a few things together.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

cthulhu wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 7:56 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:54 am There's literally no way to grind out THAT FRIGGIN' MUCH INFO in 30 seconds.
Yet many people did. I spelled it out in a lot of detail, but it can also be summarized as “Pre-WW2 famous aviator who had views different from FDR - sounds like Lindbergh!” But you have to know some stuff and be able to link a few things together.
Here is how I got it:

- Aviator
- Famous
- Was around in 1941

Charles Lindbergh!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:40 pm Now "dishes," that's an understandable neg.
I said dishes. Thank you for understanding.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Lindbergh pretty famously was a proponent of so-called "America First" ideology in the run-up to the US's entry to WW2. There's a reason Philip Roth chose him to be the candidate who defeats FDR to become a pro-Nazi president in his alt-history novel The Plot Against America.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

teapot37 wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:12 pm Lindbergh pretty famously was a proponent of so-called "America First" ideology in the run-up to the US's entry to WW2. There's a reason Philip Roth chose him to be the candidate who defeats FDR to become a pro-Nazi president in his alt-history novel The Plot Against America.
Right everyone keeps saying this but I'm not sure why it's in the TPH thread. "You should know all the pertinent facts in the clue and then you will know the correct response" is not exactly useful advice. "Guess a pilot who was already famous in 1941" (Air Corps=pilot) I would say is a better "layman's" approach to this clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm Man, these FJ!s just aren't twigging with me at all. What connection did I miss this time?
Lots of books (especially when given a Colonial America date) = Jefferson.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm Man, these FJ!s just aren't twigging with me at all. What connection did I miss this time?
Lots of books (especially when given a Colonial America date) = Jefferson.
First time I've ever had to make that match.