Tuesday, April 4, 2006 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, April 4, 2006 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:31 pm The post-credits outtakes with Alex and Elmo were delightful.
Weren't they just? The context of Alex's recent passing just added to the sweetness of the moment--a lovely memory that you get to hang onto and play back when you're feeling blue.

I assume in the clues that was Caroll Spinney doing Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch. So we get a second tribute there to man who passed a year ago, December 8.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:44 pm Once again, no guess on FJ! and no idea how it's gettable.
My dad actually got FJ! right. Somewhat of a lucky guess right there.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:48 pm
ElendilPickle wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:31 pm The post-credits outtakes with Alex and Elmo were delightful.
Weren't they just? The context of Alex's recent passing just added to the sweetness of the moment--a lovely memory that you get to hang onto and play back when you're feeling blue.
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMJse7RCe/
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:06 pm
Fun to see Michael’s joy at winning the game.
Yes, but did the situation really call for a Zerg cam? I thought that was usually reserved for shocking endings.
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

Loved the shout-out to Fountains of Wayne (RIP Adam Schlesinger), although the song it came from, “Hey, Julie”, is a bit of a deeper cut from a band that I begrudgingly have to call a one-hit wonder. (Although the song was on the same album as “Stacy’s Mom”)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:59 pm
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:04 pm NHO Holly Hunter and William Hurt film. That should not have been a $200 clue in my opinion.
Back in 2006 I suspect it still should have. Maybe not today. I don't know. It was nominated for Best Picture (lost to The Last Emperor) and Hunter was nominated for Best Actress (lost to Cher for Moonstruck) and Hurt was nominated for Best Actor (lost to Michael Douglas in Wall Street) and Albert Brooks was nominated for Best Supporting Actor (lost to Sean Connery for The Untouchables). Brooks was miffed at the time for being relegated to the "supporting" nomination when his character was more central than Hurt's and, if I recall, had the same amount of screen time. But it sort of fit with the themes of the movie that they guy with the real talent who was doing all the work didn't get recognized and the glitzy self-promoter did.

Interesting in a random way that we had two 1987 films in two different categories.
Definitely a significant film, and the fake tears are at the heart of it, much talked about at the time (and really a bit of a spoiler...).
1987 was also the year Raising Arizona was released, so those 2 performances made Holly Hunter a star.

Loved those outtakes with Elmo!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

QBall wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:51 pm Loved the shout-out to Fountains of Wayne (RIP Adam Schlesinger), although the song it came from, “Hey, Julie”, is a bit of a deeper cut from a band that I begrudgingly have to call a one-hit wonder. (Although the song was on the same album as “Stacy’s Mom”)
Didn't have to even know the song, though. The category did all the heavy lifting: GETTING ATTACHED
What kind of tie -attaches- to a person?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:00 am Ah, the classic, "I'd like to shoot the wad, Alex". :lol:

Michael caught a break when Lizard could not solve the quite gettable FJ! clue and it led to riches and more appearances.
Well, it is not as if Lizard showed much confidence in himself by wagering to guarantee second if he missed rather than a win if he was right.

It was especially bizarre after shooting the wad on the DD.

Megan Maxwell paid dearly for doing that 13 years ago yesterday, but it was sure nice for eventual TOC semi-finalist Cora Peck. :D

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2241

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kShtzigkV6A

Oh well, Megan survived:

https://www.therazoronline.com/news-det ... mId=237455
Last edited by mjhunt on Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

This was a fun game. Good to see. Michael was really into the game. The outtakes with Elmo and Alex were nice.

I didn't focus on the clue correctly and said Beethoven instead of Fidelio. I tried to go with Ehrlichman.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:04 pm Stacy's Mom is the only Fountains of Wayne song I know.
Me too (although I had heard of them by the time that song came out, so there's probably an earlier song of theirs that I was familiar with), but I'm a bit of a poet, and I saw the opportunity for parallelism with "rub-on tan," so I was able to guess the missing lyric.

I think Lizard belongs in some hall of fame for memorable J! contestants who never won a game. (He and Daniel Weissman can be the inaugural inductees.)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I guess Lizard is a fine name for someone who communicates with iguanas.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:37 pm I think Lizard belongs in some hall of fame for memorable J! contestants who never won a game. (He and Daniel Weissman can be the inaugural inductees.)
How could you forget John Munson, the self-proclaimed gadabout who drew his name to look like a wiener? I remember really rooting for him, but I can't remember the specifics. I probably just didn't like the returning champ.

I'd also vote for Abby O'Reilly, who made Alex laugh.

https://youtu.be/irNdCSvyRNg

And of course there's the concrete-eating goat girl. Did she win her game and spoil her chances for induction?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

mjhunt wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Michael caught a break when Lizard could not solve the quite gettable FJ! clue and it led to riches and more appearances.
Well, it is not as if Lizard showed much confidence in himself by wagering to guarantee second if he missed rather than a win if he was right.
Lizard would have won by $12,599 if he had come up with Kissinger.
If Michael does a damn fool thing like wagering over 12,600, Lizard has guaranteed to return as co-champion, if Craig doubles up on a singleton.
I wouldn't blame Lizard for wanting to play Craig again, after mopping the floor with him in this match and Alex having mentioned he played poorly in the previous game.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I don't know what Lizard's parents were thinking ...

Lizard was nice enough, but he was driving me crazy with each pick with his extra verbiage ... "I'd like ... please".

If you know Michael, that's his normal speed.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

I figured Lizard was his nickname, based on his love of iguanas. Does anybody know otherwise?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:09 am
mjhunt wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Michael caught a break when Lizard could not solve the quite gettable FJ! clue and it led to riches and more appearances.
If Michael does a damn fool thing like wagering over 12,600, Lizard has guaranteed to return as co-champion, if Craig doubles up on a singleton.
I wouldn't blame Lizard for wanting to play Craig again, after mopping the floor with him in this match and Alex having mentioned he played poorly in the previous game.
And in the other game linked above, Meghan made the error of assuming Cora would bet so not to let third back in the game.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

mjhunt wrote:
I see what you're saying. Under the right circumstances, Lizard's wager could have worked to his advantage when covering an all-in bet by Michael would not have.

I don't know. Maybe it's psychological, but I just don't think that if I were in the lead, I could bring myself to risk losing even if I knew the answer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mjhunt wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:14 am
mjhunt wrote:
I see what you're saying. Under the right circumstances, Lizard's wager could have worked to his advantage when covering an all-in bet by Michael would not have.

I don't know. Maybe it's psychological, but I just don't think that if I were in the lead, I could bring myself to risk losing even if I knew the answer.
Exactly. Just like in Cora’s game, he was assuming second place would make a “logical” wager. It would have worked if he had gotten FJ right.

That being said, I agree with you completely. Always make the MSB from the lead. Simply double second place’s score and see how far behind you are. Then add a dollar to that amount. Betting less than that just opens you up to getting passed from behind.

I also wouldn’t add anything to that amount. Rounding up to the next $100 usually won’t be a problem but you never know.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bump for today’s reply.