FJs for the 12/21/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 12/21/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:47 pm

After his public comments were criticized by FDR, he resigned his Air Corps Reserve commission in April 1941
78%
He famously remarked, "We are all the President's men", giving Woodward & Bernstein their title
88%
After giving birth in Paris, American Marjorie Karmel wrote "Thank You" him & co-founded an organization now named for him
67%
He is quoted as saying, "Another such victory over the Romans, and we are undone"
70%
His headstone, using a line from one of his scripts, says, "I'm a writer but then nobody's perfect"
50%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
22%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
WORLD LIT $1600: This Utopian land of Samuel Butler's was located in New Zealand
43%
THE AFRICAN EXPLORER $2000: On July 21, 1796 Mungo Park became the first European to sight this long West African river
23%
SCIENTISTS $1600: In 1628 this Brit published his study "On the Motion of the Heart and of the Blood in Animals"
35%
Hannibal was my incorrect guess for the FJ! clue that reran on Thursday.
10%
Hitchcock was my incorrect guess for the FJ! clue that reran on Friday.
12%
Trebek's attempt at a German accent helped me solve the FJ! clue that reran on Tuesday.
25%
HISTORIC SUPREME COURT DECISIONS? $2000: A "fearsome" kilt wearer dukes it out with a '70s sitcom junk dealer - I had (dread) Scott though not Sanford.
3%
HISTORIC SUPREME COURT DECISIONS? $2000: A "fearsome" kilt wearer dukes it out with a '70s sitcom junk dealer - I had Sanford though not (dread) Scott.
35%
At least one of the five games was new to me to see for the first time.
52%
I am certain I had seen all five games prior to this week.
22%

Total votes: 60

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 12/21/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

10/14/04 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS AMERICANS

10/14/04 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After his public comments were criticized by FDR, he resigned his Air Corps Reserve commission in April 1941

4/4/06 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GERMAN AMERICANS

4/4/06 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He famously remarked, "We are all the President's men", giving Woodward & Bernstein their title

9/27/07 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEN OF MEDICINE

9/27/07 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
After giving birth in Paris, American Marjorie Karmel wrote "Thank You" him & co-founded an organization now named for him

11/6/07 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC NAMES

11/6/07 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He is quoted as saying, "Another such victory over the Romans, and we are undone"

1/15/09 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WRITER/DIRECTORS

1/15/09 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
His headstone, using a line from one of his scripts, says, "I'm a writer but then nobody's perfect"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Charles Lindbergh
Henry Kissinger
Fernand Lamaze
Pyrrhus
Billy Wilder

The players were 9/15 (60.00%) with a 1-2-1-3-2 success pattern.  

The extra clues have one each correct by Ken, Michael & Celeste.

WORLD LIT $1600: This Utopian land of Samuel Butler's was located in New Zealand

THE AFRICAN EXPLORER $2000: On July 21, 1796 Mungo Park became the first European to sight this long West African river

SCIENTISTS $1600: In 1628 this Brit published his study "On the Motion of the Heart and of the Blood in Animals"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Erewhon
Niger
Harvey

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 12/21/20 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Wilbur Wright & Billy Mitchell
Did not need Trebek’s German.
Hannibal both times

Sanford & not Scott

Definitely seen all five games before this week.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :(

Alas, it took reaching into the past to get me my first 5/5 in a while...
I probably saw them all, but I don't think I had an HDTV in 2007 so it was great to see those shots of Machu Picchu... :)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Not sure how the German accent would have helped; the category was literally GERMAN AMERICANS.

Have only ever heard of William Harvey through my flashcards, but I'll take it any way I can get it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:
:( :x :| Had Shangri-La, Congo, didn't have a guess.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(

No guesses on the misses.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:

Have seen all the episodes before, but Billy Wilder didn't stick.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Louis Pasteur to not leave it blank.

I generally play off the Clue of the Day, so I didn't have the accent to help Tuesday. Still an instaget.
Dre(a)d Scot(t) clicked eventually. San(d)ford never would have.
All five games were new to me this week.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:10 pm
Not sure how the German accent would have helped; the category was literally GERMAN AMERICANS.
"German Americans" need not imply German-born, and neither Ehrlichman nor Haldeman spoke with a foreign accent. Kissinger did (and probably still does). It definitely helped me at the time.

----:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ----

I may not have got Harvey the first time, and I may have said Congo or clammed on the river question.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:| :| :|

Wed - nothin
Fri - Blake Edwards

Pretty sure Erehwon would have been a DD get.
100% sure Niger would have been a DD get (think answer was given before I could shake off Congo)
0% chance on Harvey

First three definitely new to me. Pyrrhus feels like it was familiar. And I started taking records in 2010, so it's not out of possibility I saw 2009 in a more casual way as well. Just no evidence.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :| :|

5 for 5 week. I don't recall seeing any of these before, but I may have. It's highly unlikely I saw all five, so I checked the box saying at least one was new.

Lindbergh was an easy guess based on the time period and a clue asking for a famous airman. Once his name came to mind, I remembered that he had the reputation of being an anti-semite and a Hitler supporter, which suggested I was on the right track. For Kissinger, the German accent steered me in the right direction. It wasn't just any German accent, it was a Kissinger accent. Without it, I think I'd have coin-flipped between Ehrlichman and Haldeman based on the category. Lamaze seemed like a good childbirth-related guess. Lacking anything better, I went with it. I knew the Pyrrhic victory was named after comments by a famous general. I wasn't sure his name was Pyrrhus, but that seemed the most likely Latin name to map to Pyrrhic. (Turns out he was Greek and Pyrrhus is a Latinization of Pyrrhos. I'll take it anyway.) I think of Billy Wilder as a director more than a writer, but the Some Like It Hot reference forced me to make the correct guess.

Samuel Butler + Utopia = Nowhere spelled backwards (or close) = Erewhon. That's a trivia staple that I've known since A.P. English in 1982. Didn't know the West African river and probably would have guessed Congo on a DD. Forgot about the Niger. No guess on the 1628 Brit. Name was not familiar on reveal.

Got Sandford from Sanford and Son but no lock on Dred. Also didn't get Roe v. Wade because I didn't understand the category.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

And once again I'm the only one keeping a clue from going 100%
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

On Tuesday, I spent the entire thirty seconds with this image at the forefront of my mind...

...while suffering a complete brain lock on the name.

But during those thirty seconds, I was able to quote verbatim, "No one must know I dropped them in the toilet. Not I, the man who drafted the Paris Peace Accords." Priorities, I suppose.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

One thing to mention that I always find astounding, no matter how many times I'm reminded: Henry Kissinger is still alive. Yes. Look it up if you don't believe me.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:32 am One thing to mention that I always find astounding, no matter how many times I'm reminded: Henry Kissinger is still alive. Yes. Look it up if you don't believe me.
Alive and still being consulted like a guru... :roll: And still working to rid himself of that accent, no doubt... :)
https://www.businessinsider.com/henry-k ... on-2020-11
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x :mrgreen:
:x :x :x

Guessed Patton on Thursday.

I had both Dred Scott and Sanford.

The German accent helped but I am certain I get it anyway.

I don’t recall seeing any of these before.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The category was German Americans. I didn't need the accent.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

(week of reruns—I'm including this parenthetical bit so I don't count it if I'm looking through my posting history for FJ performance)
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I was between Hughes and Lindbergh on Monday and chose wrong. I got FJ on Tuesday mostly due to remembering it from J! Archive. I'm only sure I saw Friday's show on TV previously (and I missed that FJ the first time around, not even recognizing the movie reference, but got it right this time, and I saw Some Like It Hot just this year IIRC). Yes, even the ToC game was probably a first viewing, even though I do remember seeing 2007 ToC games as they first aired and/or reran.

I was trying to say Volta for the African river, but made my wrong answer even worse by saying Volga. Harvey I knew from this game's FJ in the Archive.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Lefty wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:37 pm
mas3cf wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:10 pm
"German Americans" need not imply German-born
How widespread is this usage?

Like, I would never call myself German American, despite being raised in a household where German was spoken from time to time (my father was the son of immigrants, he grew up speaking it at home all the time and, figuring that bilingualism is in general beneficial and that German was the obvious choice since he was fluent in it, used it with my sister and I as a sometimes alternative to English, though not to the extent that we ever became fluent ourselves) and having an unambiguously German name; I'm an American of German descent. My dissertation adviser, who was born and raised in West Germany to German parents and recently became a US citizen, is a German American.

I can't recall ever hearing "German American" used except to describe people like my adviser. Obviously my direct experience isn't necessarily representative, though, which is why I'm asking.