Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:03 pm I was just playing this Sporcle quiz: https://www.sporcle.com/games/MSUKent/p ... a-face-iii and now I've got a question. Why did Noël Coward pronounce his first name with only one syllable or am I wrong about the pronunciation? The presence of the ë would suggest it should be pronounced No-el. Hmm...
The quote here suggests he thought it's 2 syllables, though he didn't accent the 2d as the French do.
https://books.google.com/books?id=tMrIW ... t+Nool!%22)&source=bl&ots=aibf8vF_rZ&sig=ACfU3U3kbKXji577Arfi_saDmbARgCMkaA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjy8YGz19jtAhVOrFkKHSrNAHkQ6AEwC3oECBsQAg#v=onepage&q=I%20didn't%20put%20the%20dots%20over%20the%20'e'%20in%20No%C3%ABl.%20The%20language%20did.%20Otherwise%20it's%20not%20No%C3%ABl%20but%20Nool!%22)&f=false
The short answer is that people can spell and say their names however they want. Timothée Chalamet was on Saturday Night Live last weekend and said his own name as if it had no accent at all. I've heard others painstakingly say it is as if he were French, but apparently that's not his deal...
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:20 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:03 pm I was just playing this Sporcle quiz: https://www.sporcle.com/games/MSUKent/p ... a-face-iii and now I've got a question. Why did Noël Coward pronounce his first name with only one syllable or am I wrong about the pronunciation? The presence of the ë would suggest it should be pronounced No-el. Hmm...
The quote here suggests he thought it's 2 syllables, though he didn't accent the 2d as the French do.
https://books.google.com/books?id=tMrIW ... t+Nool!%22)&source=bl&ots=aibf8vF_rZ&sig=ACfU3U3kbKXji577Arfi_saDmbARgCMkaA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjy8YGz19jtAhVOrFkKHSrNAHkQ6AEwC3oECBsQAg#v=onepage&q=I%20didn't%20put%20the%20dots%20over%20the%20'e'%20in%20No%C3%ABl.%20The%20language%20did.%20Otherwise%20it's%20not%20No%C3%ABl%20but%20Nool!%22)&f=false
The short answer is that people can spell and say their names however they want. Timothée Chalamet was on Saturday Night Live last weekend and said his own name as if it had no accent at all. I've heard others painstakingly say it is as if he were French, but apparently that's not his deal...
It was his last name that was but one syllable. At least, according to Rodgers and Hart.
I'm smart and I want respect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Lefty wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:44 pm
davey wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:20 pm
It was his last name that was but one syllable. At least, according to Rodgers and Hart.
Their opinion was divided on that point. Hart wrote it as one but Rodgers scored it as two.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Huh, I've returned 1988 discs to NetFlix since I started. Unfortunately, nothing really -classic- in the next 50 or so on my queue to make #2000 remarkable. (There are 360 to choose from, but I try not to overly shuffle the queue...I apparently picked that order for a reason...4 years ago...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

There's probably a thread where this is on topic, but I can't find it, and it's probably not worth bumping it anyway, so I'll post here: in the J! contestants Facebook group Zach Newkirk alluded to having recently returned to the studio, so presumably he no longer has unfinished business on that front.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Here is NBC's original 2-page press release announcing a certain forthcoming daytime game show, and a follow-up release listing the show's credits. (Not a full credit roll, because they don't list the full roster of technical crew members.) It moved to its more familiar noon time slot 18 months after its premiere.

opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

In retrospect, we probably should have started the lockdown a little sooner and let it go on a little longer. But you know what they say about hindsight.
Golf

Post by Golf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:42 pm In retrospect, we probably should have started the lockdown a little sooner and let it go on a little longer. But you know what they say about hindsight.
Everybody knew we lifted the lockdown too early as I believe all 50 states opened before CDC guidelines suggested. But people chose the economy over lives.

A few Asian countries have shown the pandemic could be muted with proper actions from all. But far too many westerners believe in freedom of choice no matter the risk or consequence. We never had a chance.

Hopefully those in charge now realize how woefully unprepared we were for something like this and are taking steps to change.

This year can’t end soon enough.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Golf wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:21 pmBut far too many westerners believe in freedom of choice no matter the risk or consequence.
Specifically, the "freedom" to inflict upon others the consequences of the risks you alone chose to take. Which, of course, isn't part of any coherent conception of "freedom" anyway, but then coherency was never their forte.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:21 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:42 pm In retrospect, we probably should have started the lockdown a little sooner and let it go on a little longer. But you know what they say about hindsight.
Everybody knew we lifted the lockdown too early as I believe all 50 states opened before CDC guidelines suggested. But people chose the economy over lives.

A few Asian countries have shown the pandemic could be muted with proper actions from all. But far too many westerners believe in freedom of choice no matter the risk or consequence. We never had a chance.

Hopefully those in charge now realize how woefully unprepared we were for something like this and are taking steps to change.

Nothing is going to change just because it is 2021. A year is an artificial human concept to break time into manageable units. People’s behavior isn’t going to change. If anything, it will get worse after January 20 due to certain individuals inability to accept reality. The rancor from the disloyal opposition the next four years will be insane.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:21 pm

And New Zealand! Kiwis kicked its butt.

(...everything I want to say about us, domestically...well... ... ... ...I don't want to get banned...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:21 pm A year is an artificial human concept to break time into manageable units.
Where one year ends and the next begins is arbitrary, but the unit itself isn't.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Geez, folks. It was a JOKE. Get it?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Happy New Year to one and all Boardies. May the new year grant you health, success, and happiness (and certainly compared to last year).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:39 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:21 pm A year is an artificial human concept to break time into manageable units.
Where one year ends and the next begins is arbitrary, but the unit itself isn't.
I get that, but it just drives me crazy when people speak of a year as if it a completely separate event. Life isn’t any different today than it was yesterday. Things evolve over time and politics swing back and forth from left to right but it has nothing to do with a number on a calendar.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:26 am
seaborgium wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:39 pm
I get that, but it just drives me crazy when people speak of a year as if it a completely separate event. Life isn’t any different today than it was yesterday. Things evolve over time and politics swing back and forth from left to right but it has nothing to do with a number on a calendar.
https://www.gocomics.com/garfield/1980/01/01
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Game show fans may have to give the DVRs a workout next week from January 3 - 7.

Prime time on the main networks:
Millionaire x 4
The Hustler x 2
Ellen's Game of Games x 2
Supermarket Sweep
The Wall
The Masked Dancer
Name That Tune
The Price is Right at Night
Celebrity Wheel of Fortune (Leslie Jones, Chandra Wilson & Tony Hawk)
The Chase

That's 15 hours.

For me that's only the possible entrees as appetizers & desserts may include various levels of speeding thru:
TPIR
Master Minds
The Challenge
Hell's Kitchen
Go-Big Show
Shark Tank
Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Penn and Teller: Fool Us

The easier path is of course a big red X through all of the above and keeping it simple with the last five Alex Trebek episodes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 1:54 pm Game show fans may have to give the DVRs a workout next week from January 3 - 7.

Prime time on the main networks:
Millionaire x 4
The Hustler x 2
Ellen's Game of Games x 2
Supermarket Sweep
The Wall
The Masked Dancer
Name That Tune
The Price is Right at Night
Celebrity Wheel of Fortune (Leslie Jones, Chandra Wilson & Tony Hawk)
The Chase

That's 15 hours.

For me that's only the possible entrees as appetizers & desserts may include various levels of speeding thru:
TPIR
Master Minds
The Challenge
Hell's Kitchen
Go-Big Show
Shark Tank
Whose Line Is It Anyway?
Penn and Teller: Fool Us

The easier path is of course a big red X through all of the above and keeping it simple with the last five Alex Trebek episodes.
My list is much shorter than yours. The Wall, The Chase, Master Minds, and Shark Tank.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:13 pm Geez, folks. It was a JOKE. Get it?
I got it right away and was amazed that everyone took you seriously.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

georgespelvin wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:31 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:13 pm Geez, folks. It was a JOKE. Get it?
I got it right away and was amazed that everyone took you seriously.
One person responded seriously, and subsequent posts were serious responses to the serious response.