Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by morbeedo »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:59 am I was upset that Kristin didn't go for it when offered the $425,000. If a TOCer won't take this (and have a good chance of succeeding), who will?
On top of that, she went for the lower offer and left ~$50k on the table. I've never seen anyone take the lower offer on the GSN version, though the $$ is pitifully low by comparison.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:05 am
Woppy T wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:59 am I was upset that Kristin didn't go for it when offered the $425,000. If a TOCer won't take this (and have a good chance of succeeding), who will?
On top of that, she went for the lower offer and left ~$50k on the table. I've never seen anyone take the lower offer on the GSN version, though the $$ is pitifully low by comparison.
Remember if you take a higher offer to the Final Chase and win, you only get to keep (roughly) half of it. (Since she already had one teammate qualified) So the $50k you're going for is only half yours, essentially risking $75k in the hopes of getting another $25. And I too thought she might take the higher offer but after she missed the first two questions it was a good thing she didn't!

Even James Holzhauer, probably the best contestant ever on the GSN version, didn't take the higher offer. It stunned me at the time but after thinking about it, he had both other players already in the FInal Chase so he'd have been splitting the extra money he earned 3 ways which significantly lowers the reward-to-risk ratio.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Brooke can certainly read questions faster than Sara.

I thought a few of the questions in the multiple choice round bordered on the ridiculously obscure, although I guess not to Ken. I wonder how the difficulty level will come across to the primetime audience trying to play along at home.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:52 am
morbeedo wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:05 am
Remember if you take a higher offer to the Final Chase and win, you only get to keep (roughly) half of it. (Since she already had one teammate qualified) So the $50k you're going for is only half yours, essentially risking $75k in the hopes of getting another $25. And I too thought she might take the higher offer but after she missed the first two questions it was a good thing she didn't!

Even James Holzhauer, probably the best contestant ever on the GSN version, didn't take the higher offer. It stunned me at the time but after thinking about it, he had both other players already in the FInal Chase so he'd have been splitting the extra money he earned 3 ways which significantly lowers the reward-to-risk ratio.
When James turned down that offer, he gave a brief shake of the head and said 'not enough.' I think he had a set value in mind that would determine whether he would take the risk, and the beast did not meet that threshold with his offer. Pretty sure he would have taken the offer had it met his predetermined number or ratio.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Sarah Haines makes it seem like she doesn’t know the answers herself. Brooke was much, much better. The monetary amounts here are crazy! For an hour show it’d be better if there was a fourth player. That first guy didn’t belong up there.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:42 pm Sarah Haines makes it seem like she doesn’t know the answers herself. Brooke was much, much better. The monetary amounts here are crazy! For an hour show it’d be better if there was a fourth player. That first guy didn’t belong up there.
For crazy money how about the haul on Celebrity WoF last night?
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:59 am KJ's attempts to taunt the contestants didn't really work for me; I think James will be a better chaser in this regard.
Agreed. He doesn't play the bully very well, despite allegations to the contrary from the torch and pitchfork crowd on social media.
--
Drowning in the pool
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

ParrotRob wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:18 am
rockyboy34 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:03 am One thing that confused my dad was why the chaser never got to see the answer choices, but the player could.
What do you mean? During the multiple choice rounds?
Yes. The multiple choice rounds.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

rockyboy34 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:31 pm
rockyboy34 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:03 am One thing that confused my dad was why the chaser never got to see the answer choices, but the player could.
Why would you think he couldn't?
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

rockyboy34 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:02 am I think they’re gonna rotate the chasers instead of all 3 in one episode.
I can state this with absolute certainty. (Although two who don't play are going to be in that backstage area giving things the "MST3K" treatment.)
Spoiler
Episode scheduled for January 14 (production number 105): the chaser is James
Episode scheduled for January 21 (production number 107): the chase is Brad
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:45 pm
Johnblue wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:42 pm Sarah Haines makes it seem like she doesn’t know the answers herself. Brooke was much, much better. The monetary amounts here are crazy! For an hour show it’d be better if there was a fourth player. That first guy didn’t belong up there.
Tony Hawk is a very quiet celebrity. I enjoyed that episode but The Chase and The Hustler were more entertaining.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Johnblue wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:41 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 1:45 pm
Tony Hawk is a very quiet celebrity. I enjoyed that episode but The Chase and The Hustler were more entertaining.
My personal rankings for the shows on the ABC block:

1. The Chase
2. Celebrity WOF
3. The Hustler
It's the end of the journey that counts.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

ParrotRob wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:01 pm
Woppy T wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:59 am KJ's attempts to taunt the contestants didn't really work for me; I think James will be a better chaser in this regard.
Agreed. He doesn't play the bully very well, despite allegations to the contrary from the torch and pitchfork crowd on social media.
Ken doesn't really do the trash-talking thing well. Certainly not at a Mark Labett level. Which is probably just as well; if I ever had to go head-to-head with Ken I don't think I'd be able to resist pointing out that I had no trouble coming up with "H&R Block" on that fateful day (or with "cloche hat" a couple of minutes earlier, the clue that kept day 75 from being a runaway for him).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm glad Kristin got a good haul, but I really didn't like this version. I didn't like the host at all, the kibbitzing from backstage was ridiculous, Ken (God bless 'em) just ain't The Beast for trash talk (The Professor? Say huh?!? And if that's his nickname, I can only imagine what they can come up with for James), and the questions leaned toward too much pop trash. Other than the bigger money, I thought it was inferior to the GSN version in every respect. Unless it's someone I know on there, I can't see putting myself through watching it again, especially not for a full hour.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:29 am (The Professor? Say huh?!? And if that's his nickname, I can only imagine what they can come up with for James)
The nicknames have shown up in advertising. James is The High Roller, Brad is The Buzzsaw.

In 2019 not long after James's run ended, someone in Twitter said they saw his Chase episode and asked him to "get them to reboot" the show with him as "the new beast," and James responded that he could be The House (always wins), The High Roller (demands bigger stakes), or The Barracuda (deadly underbite).
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

rockyboy34 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:31 pm
How do you know he didn't? Surely he had a monitor up there in front of him in his console...
--
Drowning in the pool
yclept

Post by yclept »

1. The money a strong team can win on this version could be quite high. ABC probably doesn’t care because there will be many episodes where they aren’t paying anyone anything;
2. I don’t mind Sarah as the host. Is she Brooke? No, but Brooke is pretty much top-of-the-line when it comes to rapid fire quizzers. Sarah has room to grow more comfortable;
3. Ken: A bit of a mellow chaser. I have no problems with this, as having three chasers with different personalities can be good for the show.

Overall, I like it just as much as I loved the GSN version. And why wouldn’t I? Different host, more money - but a game that is being played exactly the same way.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

alietr wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:29 am I'm glad Kristin got a good haul, but I really didn't like this version. I didn't like the host at all, the kibbitzing from backstage was ridiculous, Ken (God bless 'em) just ain't The Beast for trash talk (The Professor? Say huh?!? And if that's his nickname, I can only imagine what they can come up with for James), and the questions leaned toward too much pop trash. Other than the bigger money, I thought it was inferior to the GSN version in every respect. Unless it's someone I know on there, I can't see putting myself through watching it again, especially not for a full hour.
I had a similar reaction to a lesser degree. Except the kibbitzing. Ridiculous is the right word. And the bigger money, which I thought was a drawback. It limits their ability to give "big" offers because the numbers are already big. In the original, an offer of £70,000 seems huge when the base value is £1,000. When the base value is $25,000, you'd have to offer millions to get the same effect. (FWIW, I didn't see the GSN version, but I have seen the British version on YouTube).

I may give it another shot. I think part of my distaste for the host is that she has to overexplain everything because the show is "new". But I'd much rather see Craig Ferguson on this show than the other show (which I'm not going to watch). The fact that Ferguson is British is coincidental. He was likeable in his late night show and he was likeable (award-winning, even) in his previous game show.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeffwolfe wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:01 pm ...
The fact that Ferguson is British is coincidental. He was likeable in his late night show and he was likeable (award-winning, even) in his previous game show.
That should be ABC's new show. Have people come up to Ferguson and tell him to his face, "You're British."

Whichever contestant remains on their feet gets money.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Comments about Sarah Haines improving over time worry me, because Thursday's episode was actually the very last one taped.