Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Beat the Chasers is back for a second season.

This is by far one of the most painful losses ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ubCShlLnc
Douglas Squasoni
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I'm sad that we only have this week of new shows from Alex. I have a lingering sense of finality and resolution, a feeling that something is going to change this week and it will never be the same again.

It is not the feeling I want to have with the political circus going on.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Albert Thakur's tribute to Alex (re-posted from Facebook with permission):

Just wanting to share a bit about the amazing journey I've been fortunate to experience since being on the show and the legacy of Alex Trebek.
This week are the last episodes with someone who touched all our lives.

Since being on the show, I have received countless messages of love and people sharing how they connected with others in their lives and how for thirty minutes each day, they would forget about their troubles and just enjoy.

To compete in Jeopardy! was a dream of mine since I was a 7 year old new immigrant to the USA. My whole family would gather around our little 13 inch TV and we'd try to guess answers and daily doubles and we'd eat dinner and with full mouths yell the final Jeopardy answer.
I am really sad Alex Trebek died, but I am also really happy I got to tell a stranger how much he meant to me and to see how much it moved him too. You know, there's so much divisiveness going on, but an amazing thing happened after Alex died - at least from my perspective - it made a lot of people let go of some of that charge. It reminded people of being kids and sitting with their families. It reminded people of kindness.

So to me, Jeopardy! was one of the last true games. There was no illegal doping. No scandals. No cheating. To win, was winning something money couldn't buy. It was pure.

I don't know who the next host will be, but I hope they continue being a steward of a game I have loved as long as I have spoken English.
I know this is a bit long, but we share a common bond. We have all had the privilege of competing on the greatest game played in modern times. The greatest pure game in modern times, with one of the most human of hosts. I am truly blessed and honored to be in your company.
Thank you all for entertaining me and making me mad and making me root for you and breaking my heart when you didn't win for all these years. Also, wherever you are, thank you Alex Trebek.

With love,
Burt Thakur
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:06 am Albert Thakur's tribute to Alex (re-posted from Facebook with permission):

Just wanting to share a bit about the amazing journey I've been fortunate to experience since being on the show and the legacy of Alex Trebek.
This week are the last episodes with someone who touched all our lives.

Since being on the show, I have received countless messages of love and people sharing how they connected with others in their lives and how for thirty minutes each day, they would forget about their troubles and just enjoy.

To compete in Jeopardy! was a dream of mine since I was a 7 year old new immigrant to the USA. My whole family would gather around our little 13 inch TV and we'd try to guess answers and daily doubles and we'd eat dinner and with full mouths yell the final Jeopardy answer.
I am really sad Alex Trebek died, but I am also really happy I got to tell a stranger how much he meant to me and to see how much it moved him too. You know, there's so much divisiveness going on, but an amazing thing happened after Alex died - at least from my perspective - it made a lot of people let go of some of that charge. It reminded people of being kids and sitting with their families. It reminded people of kindness.

So to me, Jeopardy! was one of the last true games. There was no illegal doping. No scandals. No cheating. To win, was winning something money couldn't buy. It was pure.

I don't know who the next host will be, but I hope they continue being a steward of a game I have loved as long as I have spoken English.
I know this is a bit long, but we share a common bond. We have all had the privilege of competing on the greatest game played in modern times. The greatest pure game in modern times, with one of the most human of hosts. I am truly blessed and honored to be in your company.
Thank you all for entertaining me and making me mad and making me root for you and breaking my heart when you didn't win for all these years. Also, wherever you are, thank you Alex Trebek.

With love,
Burt Thakur
Thanks for getting Burt's permission to share that -- it helps remind us to look at the positives even during a tough week. My grandmother left a message to be read at her funeral saying something like, "Don't mourn that I am gone, celebrate that I was here." She would have applauded Burt's message.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

A silly thing to preserve, but I wanted a shot of Alex on my DVR grid while he's still there.
Spoiler
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:29 pm A silly thing to preserve, but I wanted a shot of Alex on my DVR grid while he's still there.
Spoiler
A little surreal seeing his picture on a listing for Monday knowing he won’t be there.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

So weird... Bye Bye Birdie on IMDB? 7 514 ratings. The Accountant (generic Ben Affleck action flick that you probably didn't even know existed in 2016 when it came out), 259 139.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:33 pm So weird... Bye Bye Birdie on IMDB? 7 514 ratings. The Accountant (generic Ben Affleck action flick that you probably didn't even know existed in 2016 when it came out), 259 139.
The kind of people who give movie ratings on IMDB tend to be the kind of people who would have seen "The Accountant" but not "Bye Bye Birdie."
Volante

Post by Volante »

trainman wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:05 pm
Volante wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 6:33 pm So weird... Bye Bye Birdie on IMDB? 7 514 ratings. The Accountant (generic Ben Affleck action flick that you probably didn't even know existed in 2016 when it came out), 259 139.
The kind of people who give movie ratings on IMDB tend to be the kind of people who would have seen "The Accountant" but not "Bye Bye Birdie."
I'm sure recency is a factor as well. "I've seen this, I can go rate it now" is...well...how I'm doing this. But if you've seen BBB before IMDB, it takes extra time to want or care to search up films just to rate them. (Heck, I know I haven't rated all the Disney classics I've seen)

Tho apparently this isn't unusual for the genre. The Music Man is only around 15k, Oklahoma 11k and Annie Get Your Gun isn't even at 5k. Even Best Picture Oliver! can only wrangle up 35k. (On the other side of the coin, Shawshank Redemption and Inception break 2 mil)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:38 pm
I'm sure recency is a factor as well. "I've seen this, I can go rate it now" is...well...how I'm doing this. But if you've seen BBB before IMDB, it takes extra time to want or care to search up films just to rate them. (Heck, I know I haven't rated all the Disney classics I've seen)

Tho apparently this isn't unusual for the genre. The Music Man is only around 15k, Oklahoma 11k and Annie Get Your Gun isn't even at 5k. Even Best Picture Oliver! can only wrangle up 35k. (On the other side of the coin, Shawshank Redemption and Inception break 2 mil)
You're talking about the number of ratings? What's the average rating for each? That might actually be indicative of something...(Though probably not...) Last I checked, Turner Classic Movies did not get blockbuster ratings. And speaking of Blockbuster, when it was a thing I remember people said nearly all its circulation was recent hits. Most Americans are not cineastes. But they like to rate things on the internet.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:41 amMost Americans are not cineastes. But they like to rate things on the internet.
+1
Volante

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:41 am

You're talking about the number of ratings? What's the average rating for each? That might actually be indicative of something...(Though probably not...) Last I checked, Turner Classic Movies did not get blockbuster ratings. And speaking of Blockbuster, when it was a thing I remember people said nearly all its circulation was recent hits. Most Americans are not cineastes. But they like to rate things on the internet.
Total ratings. And the actual rating isn't actually indicative. Even with those limited numbers, the scores felt reasonable. (E.g., BBB is at 6.6. I rated higher, as I particularly liked the camp and choreography but it's hardly perfect and does lose steam by in the final act) It's like a real world demonstration that a proper selection of 1000 is enough to sample 350,000,000.

This: "Most Americans are not cineastes. But they like to rate things on the internet." is why I'm surprised though at how low the total ratings are
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:10 am
davey wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:41 am

Total ratings. And the actual rating isn't actually indicative. Even with those limited numbers, the scores felt reasonable. (E.g., BBB is at 6.6. I rated higher, as I particularly liked the camp and choreography but it's hardly perfect and does lose steam by in the final act) It's like a real world demonstration that a proper selection of 1000 is enough to sample 350,000,000.

This: "Most Americans are not cineastes. But they like to rate things on the internet." is why I'm surprised though at how low the total ratings are
Sorry, I'm not following you. I went to the imdb pages but I don't see what you're referring to. I don't know what those numbers you first quoted are, and I don't know what the difference is between number of ratings and total ratings. Are you saying that you're surprised that fewer people have seen and rated Bye Bye Birdie than have seen and rated The Accountant?
Volante

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:54 am Sorry, I'm not following you. I went to the imdb pages but I don't see what you're referring to. I don't know what those numbers you first quoted are, and I don't know what the difference is between number of ratings and total ratings. Are you saying that you're surprised that fewer people have seen and rated Bye Bye Birdie than have seen and rated The Accountant?
Yes, basically. As BBB is older, and maybe not a -classic- per se, it's not nothing, I figured there should've been a reasonable number of votes. I mean, more than 7,516 people have seen it for certain.

I have the older layout, where user rating and total number of ratings are underneath the rating/release date line:
BBBimdb.jpg
BBBimdb.jpg (19.63 KiB) Viewed 3491 times
I'm not really surprised The Accountant has more ratings, as it's easier to think of rating it after you've seen it and for most of Birdie's existence...IMDb didn't. But it's just how wide the spread is.
davey

Post by davey »

I'd say it's just a matter of availability. You have to seek out Bye Bye Birdie. The Accountant is a recent mass market product.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

davey wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:36 pm I'd say it's just a matter of availability. You have to seek out Bye Bye Birdie. The Accountant is a recent mass market product.
Not much of a seek, available for rental on both YouTube and Amazon.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:51 pm
davey wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:36 pm I'd say it's just a matter of availability. You have to seek out Bye Bye Birdie. The Accountant is a recent mass market product.
Not much of a seek, available for rental on both YouTube and Amazon.
But you have to know to look for it. There hasn't been a flashy X0th anniversary re-release Blu-Ray for example to spark any new interest (and those couple references in Family Guy ain't cutting it for the masses).

I mean, take Trouble In Paradise...1932 film that (if my Berkeley film class professor from 2000 was accurate) wasn't available on any home video form at all, ever* (to rewatch it, you had to reserve the theater; they only had a film print). But it's at 13,000 ratings. What likely happened? Criterion released it on DVD in 2003 which introduced people to it during the age of IMDB.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Bye Bye Birdie on Letterboxd has 7400 ratings, the Accountant has 98k. wierd.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex has been removed from the J! graphic on my DVR (spoiler to reduce size of post):
Spoiler
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:40 am Of the three POTI (my new invention for plural form of POTUS :;), I'm sure BHO is the only one I'd want to hear sing. But he's more Smokey Robinson than Lou Rawls. BHO would be a great J! host, but we would only get a 35 clue day :lol:
Well, if you want to hear Obama sing: