Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Golf »

talkingaway wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 am Now, Ken skipping practice? That's absolutely fine. I can't imagine getting bored of playing J!, but maybe by the 15th dress rehearsal, it gets old. Plus, if they keep using the same small set of clues that rotate every 3 or 4 taping days, it could be kinda pointless.
jeffwolfe wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:02 am Doing 10 shows a week is a grind. Jennings has said that. Saving your energy for when it really counts makes sense to me. After a while, practicing Jeopardy! would be pointless even if the clues were entirely new. For someone in Jennings's position, he would want to practice enough to keep his rhythm, but not so much as to detract from his real games.
There's also a psychological aspect to skipping practice, many contestants would be unnerved by such an act. Basically telling them I'm so good I don't need practice, but you all go right ahead.

I sat out the last three FF questions during rehearsal, at least some of the other 9 took note. There are many ways to gain advantages in competition.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Jeopardy! uploaded a new promo on YouTube. It shows that for the guest-hosted episodes, Johnny Gilbert will say, "Here is the guest host of Jeopardy!..."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Golf wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:14 pm
talkingaway wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 am Now, Ken skipping practice? That's absolutely fine. I can't imagine getting bored of playing J!, but maybe by the 15th dress rehearsal, it gets old. Plus, if they keep using the same small set of clues that rotate every 3 or 4 taping days, it could be kinda pointless.
jeffwolfe wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:02 am Doing 10 shows a week is a grind. Jennings has said that. Saving your energy for when it really counts makes sense to me. After a while, practicing Jeopardy! would be pointless even if the clues were entirely new. For someone in Jennings's position, he would want to practice enough to keep his rhythm, but not so much as to detract from his real games.
There's also a psychological aspect to skipping practice, many contestants would be unnerved by such an act. Basically telling them I'm so good I don't need practice, but you all go right ahead.

I sat out the last three FF questions during rehearsal, at least some of the other 9 took note. There are many ways to gain advantages in competition.
Did you make it to the hot seat on the first attempt?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I saw that Ken will be introduced as the “guest host”.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Now I'm thinking the obvious choice for new host is Chris Rock.
georgetrev
Contributor

Post by georgetrev »

Add Aaron Rodgers to the list.

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

That's cool but when are they going to announce some more people who might actually become permanent host
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Thanks! I will add him to the list.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I'll be charitable and volunteer to take Archiving duty that week so Mark doesn't have to.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

As far from a fan of Aaron Rodgers I can respect that he played J! well and have no objection to his hosting a game. One is fine by me and he does not need a week. Pipes are fine. Letting the contestants be the star of the show? I'm not sure his ego can do that. I won't pile on, but I will enjoy soaking up some of the negative comments about the news.

Watch your step on the set, Aaron. Can I wish for there to be a Macbeth TS? ;)
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:48 pm I'll be charitable and volunteer to take Archiving duty that week so Mark doesn't have to.
Ha! Thanks. Good one. So it's one day and five shows or just one episode?
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:47 pm That's cool but when are they going to announce some more people who might actually become permanent host
Ken Jennings was first announced as a guest host on Nov. 24th ;)
Last edited by brucejoel199 on Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Most insiders at this point believe that Ken is not under consideration for the permanent role.
Andy Saunders
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:52 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:48 pm I'll be charitable and volunteer to take Archiving duty that week so Mark doesn't have to.
Ha! Thanks. Good one. So it's one day and five shows or just one episode?
I assume that anyone saying "one show" misinterpreted the remarks in confusion over the show's taping schedule.
Andy Saunders
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Kind of looking forward to Aaron Rodgers.

Pat McAfee's on-air persona (I can make no claims about his personality in real life) is one that I find off-putting (it's extremely "bro"-y, though he does at least manage to pull it off without actually being an asshole), but I listen to his show nonetheless because he's actually a good interviewer with a knack for getting his subjects to go off the usual pro-athlete media script--and because of who he is and where his network lies, he gets a disproportionate number of current and former Colts players, coaches, and stuff which I as a Colts fan appreciate.

All this to say, the Tuesday Aaron Rodgers segments are always the highlight of the week. He's incredibly engaging, and I have no doubt the contestant interviews will be lively.
Last edited by Euphonium on Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:03 pm Most insiders at this point believe that Ken is not under consideration for the permanent role.
What are we defining as "insiders" here, & how have they come to this supposed conclusion? Because just last week, others referred to as "industry insiders" were expressing their belief that Ken is definitely the favorite to start serving as the permanent host at the beginning of S38. Not to mention, with the show having already contracted him to be a "consulting producer" (notably featuring on-camera appearances, which many took as evidence that the show was beginning to groom him as the next host) even before he guest-hosted, it seems evident that S&P issues certainly haven't been playing as big a role in these considerations as many of us would've previously assumed they'd be. Remember, many people - &, I freely admit, myself chief among them - thought for the longest time that there was no chance he'd ever be hired by the show (let alone to be host) because of the obviously inherent S&P nightmare that would presumably ensue... & then they hired him anyway, & then - after that - they had him host anyway. Given all of this (as well as the recent insensitivity apology that could definitely be seen as a not-so-subtle indicator that he's trying to clean up his image for some reason, perhaps to still be in line for a certain job), it just doesn't seem like there are significant indicators that he's not under consideration for the permanent role, while there seem to be more than a few that he indeed is.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Certainly an interesting pick. This is the first person we’ve seen mentioned that isn’t a professional interviewer or TV show host. But he is funny on the State Farm commercials so he should be fine.

Obviously he isn’t going to quit his day job to do be the new Jeopardy host and I guess he won’t record his shows until after his season is over. He just turned 37 so he has a few years left. This could be an audition to a post-playing career behind a mike.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I Think Aaron Rodgers hosting Jeopardy sounds like a great idea. He would potentially bring a lot of fans into the mix since he would appeal to non-nerds and academics, I can see the potential for a lot of new viewers who wouldn’t normally watch the show. I also think he has the basic qualifications, people could seek him out to be a presenter for basically anything and it would work. The only drawback is we might lose Vikings fans.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

brucejoel199 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:47 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:03 pm Most insiders at this point believe that Ken is not under consideration for the permanent role.
What are we defining as "insiders" here, & how have they come to this supposed conclusion? Because just last week, others referred to as "industry insiders" were expressing their belief that Ken is definitely the favorite to start serving as the permanent host at the beginning of S38. Not to mention, with the show having already contracted him to be a "consulting producer" (notably featuring on-camera appearances, which many took as evidence that the show was beginning to groom him as the next host) even before he guest-hosted, it seems evident that S&P issues certainly haven't been playing as big a role in these considerations as many of us would've previously assumed they'd be. Remember, many people - &, I freely admit, myself chief among them - thought for the longest time that there was no chance he'd ever be hired by the show (let alone to be host) because of the obviously inherent S&P nightmare that would presumably ensue... & then they hired him anyway, & then - after that - they had him host anyway. Given all of this (as well as the recent insensitivity apology that could definitely be seen as a not-so-subtle indicator that he's trying to clean up his image for some reason, perhaps to still be in line for a certain job), it just doesn't seem like there are significant indicators that he's not under consideration for the permanent role, while there seem to be more than a few that he indeed is.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-a ... tie-couric

"Jennings is part of the Jeopardy family, but he does not fit into the parameters of the search, according to people who have been briefed on it. Sony is said to be looking for “A-list” names — well-known TV or movie stars — who would be consistent with the “Jeopardy!” brand, which is basically a television quiz show for intelligent people."
Andy Saunders