FJs for the 1/4/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/4/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:50 pm

When the title character tells him that a great adventure may win him an island he can govern, he leaves his family
23%
The names of these 2 states honor a king & his father, who was executed in 1649
66%
Released in 2017, this movie is the highest-grossing film in the U.S. that's set during World War I
29%
4 songs from this 1968 musical made the Billboard Top 10, including one with an astrological theme that was No. 1 for 6 weeks
86%
Dr. Margaret Todd gave science this word for different forms of one basic substance; it's from the Greek for "equal" & "place"  
65%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
4%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
3%
A REAL PRIZE $800 box DD: 300,000 euros go to the winner of the LVMH Prize for someone under 40 in this profession with at least 2 collections
28%
CAVEAT SCULPTOR $2000: In 1884 this great French sculptor was commissioned to create "The Burghers of Calais"
66%
BODY LANGUAGE $1000: The second of Thornton Wilder's 2 Pulitzer Prize-winning plays mentions these 2 body parts
21%
Robinson Crusoe was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
11%
Friday was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
21%
Gulliver was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
23%
Don Quixote was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
7%
Georgia was part of my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
16%
Louisiana was part of my incorrect guess for the Tuesday FJ! clue.
5%
I have seen the movie Wonder Woman and I was correct for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
24%
I have not seen the movie Wonder Woman and I was correct for the Wednesday FJ! clue.  
4%
I have seen the movie Wonder Woman and yet I was incorrect for the Wednesday FJ! clue.  
29%
I have seen a stage and/or film version of Hair.
29%
4 songs from this 1968 musical made the Billboard Top 10, including one with an astrological theme that was No. 1 for 6 weeks - I think I would have still solved the clue correctly with "astrological" omitted from the wording.
35%
4 songs from this 1968 musical made the Billboard Top 10, including one with an astrological theme that was No. 1 for 6 weeks - I do not think I would have solved the clue correctly with "astrological" omitted from the wording.  
43%
Isomer was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
2%

Total votes: 92

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 1/4/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY CHARACTERS OF THE 1600s

1/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When the title character tells him that a great adventure may win him an island he can govern, he leaves his family

1/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE NAME ORIGINS

1/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The names of these 2 states honor a king & his father, who was executed in 1649

1/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BLOCKBUSTER MOVIES

1/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Released in 2017, this movie is the highest-grossing film in the U.S. that's set during
World War I

1/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MUSICALS

1/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
4 songs from this 1968 musical made the Billboard Top 10, including one with an astrological theme that was No. 1 for 6 weeks

1/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN & SCIENCE

1/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Dr. Margaret Todd gave science this word for different forms of one basic substance; it's from the Greek for "equal" & "place"

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Sancho Panza
North & South Carolina
Wonder Woman
Hair
isotope
The players were 4/14 (28.57%) with a 0-0-0-2-2 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested missed Daily Double followed by two the players got correct.

A REAL PRIZE $800 box DD: 300,000 euros go to the winner of the LVMH Prize for someone under 40 in this profession with at least 2 collections

CAVEAT SCULPTOR $2000: In 1884 this great French sculptor was commissioned to create "The Burghers of Calais"

BODY LANGUAGE $1000: The second of Thornton Wilder's 2 Pulitzer Prize-winning plays mentions these 2 body parts

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
fashion designer
Rodin
skin & teeth

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 1/4/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Saw Wonder Woman last month and probably a miss otherwise.

Did not need “astrological” to get Hair although the Forrest Gump soundtrack is probably my closest exposure to it.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :|

Mon - Gulliver (*probably heard it as "this title char" not "the..." which would explain a lot.)
Wed - 1917 , Have not seen WW yet (looks like I'll have to hit Suicide Squad first; have seen MoS and BvS)
Thu - Would not have gotten Hair without 'astrological'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Considered Crusoe, but it didn't make sense and he's the title character. The other four I immediately zoomed in on the correct answer.

Saw Wonder Woman; I probably don't get that clue otherwise.

I've also seen Hair, and I definitely would not have connected it and "Aquarius" otherwise. Without "astrological" pointing to "Aquarius" I'm left to fumble and guess the first musical that I'm not convinced was earlier or later, and I don't think I get it.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Leander

Post by Leander »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Friday on Monday
No guess on Friday

Have seen Wonder Woman, and the sequel

I know I have seen at least parts of the movie version of Hair, never saw a stage version.
Probably needed astrological, which made it an instaget, but not entirely sure.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:| :| :|

Coulda woulda shoulda didna on Monday's FJ. Precalled Don Quixote off the category. But I saw that the clue wanted the name of someone who wasn't the title character. For some reason that led me to conclude that Don Quixote was a dead end and I began searching elsewhere. I knew Robinson Crusoe was 18th century, so I didn't waste time there. I checked in with Gulliver (also 18th century as it turns out, but I wasn't sure) and mentally wrote him down even though he's the title character. I continued frantically spinning my wheels for the rest of the think music. I was trying to think of a work where the title character was not the main character--kind of like how The Three Musketeers is really about a fourth musketeer named d'Artagnan. When the music ended, I paused the game to collect my thoughts. That took the pressure off and within 5 seconds I had Sancho Panza and knew it had to be correct. I think the mention of an island helped throw me off, but this was still a quite gettable FJ.

Headed straight to the Carolinas on Tuesday without any of the detours or pitfalls that bedeviled others.

Considered 1917 and Dunkirk for Tuesday but knew they didn't fit the clue. Turned my thoughts to superhero movies in the Avengers line and considered Captain America for a bit but didn't think he worked either for the release date or in-movie timeframe specified. Moved over to Wonder Woman and tried to remember when that was set. (We saw it in the theater but it didn't make a lasting impression.) By the end of the think music I'd decided to stick with Wonder Woman and was pretty confident.

The astrological TOM was a dead giveaway on Thursday. I'd have been lost without it. Got isotope off my knowledge of Greek roots.

No real chance on the LVMH prize in any event. But the talk of "collections" that had just occurred in the contestant interviews made sure I wasn't even thinking in the right direction. French sculptor = Rodin but I wouldn't have buzzed in. If it had been a DD, I'd have picked it up. On the Thornton Wilder play, all I knew was "our" and "town" aren't body parts, so I'd better clam.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :(
Mon and Thurs were easy. Lost on the rest.
But the extras were simple. Knew the LV is Louis Vuitton, though I've missed Vuitton-related clues in the past
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thursday is looking like my worst miss of the season so far. On the bright side, it highlights a gap I need to work on...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This one kept nagging me, and yep. Time for some self flagellation:
Volante wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:12 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:45 pm LVMH buy Tiffany: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/25/lvmh-co ... llion.html
LVMH: Moët Hennessy - Louis Vuitton (and LVMH's majority owner is Christian Dior SE, so that's pretty much every luxury brand ever that isn't a mode of transportation...)
Consarnit...I'll get you next time!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had Friday on Monday and 1917 (fearing it was more recent than 2017, but not having anything else) on Wednesday. I haven't seen Wonder Woman.
My dad and I talked through various state name origins on Tuesday during the commercial, and we covered the ones named after monarchs; I said, "North and South Carolina were named for King Charles. Dunno which one," and the clue ended up being instaget, though I recognized the potential for a misunderstanding that the clue wanted states derived from two different names.
I needed the astrological hint on Thursday, but I wished they hadn't made it quite that easy. I'm trying to find good wording for a clue involving the fact that Oliver made the top 10 with a song from Hair the same year Oliver! won Best Picture, without actually naming the performer or titles.
I had "isomer" on Friday for a good while, but I couldn't make -mer mean "place," and I couldn't make a pair of molecules with different structures and properties square with "different forms of one basic substance" and found my way to isotope in the last quarter of the music.

I racked my brain for what occupation could have "at least two collections" and only came up with poet. No clue on Thornton Wilder.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Goose egg all the way around.

I have not seen Wonder Woman.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :( :(

“I hate superhero movies, Jock! I hate ‘em!”
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:? :mrgreen: :| I found the daily double incomprehensible.
I have not seen Wonder Woman. I think the last movie I've seen was Battle of the Five Armies from The Hobbit.
4 Top 10 songs from a 1968 musical? Yeah, I'm getting this, the astrology clue was bonus.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
----:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ----

The 21st is a tough century for me. I try to keep up on Oscar winners, but as for tracking what films made how much money and when, my whirlwind, high-octane lifestyle doesn't really allow. I was happy to come up with 1917 as a guess.

1649=Charles=Carolina. I wasn't fazed by "father and son", as I didn't take it seriously. I remembered how the New York Yankees retired #8 in honor, ostensibly, of both Yogi Berra and Bill Dickey.

I thought of isotope at once, and once I remembered "Utopia" I felt certain. If the science was off, I didn't understand it well enough to be thrown.

I haven't seen Wonder Woman, nor Hair in any medium, but I did own the cast album. Whether I'd have got it without "astrological" will remain a mystery to the ages.
I'm smart and I want respect.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :(

Interesting question about taking "astrological" out of the FJ!. I said no. For some reason, I always place Hair at 1970. Looking at the 1969 Tonys, it's more gettable than I first thought - none of the other musicals nominated would make sense, with either "Promises Promises" or "1776" maybe being the best wrong answers, but still pretty bad.

Going back and forward a span of two years, the best options would be "Cabaret" and "Company". But, just to check my knowledge, "Hair" does seem to be generally thought of as the first rock musical, which would probably be the biggest hint.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm floored that Thursday is at 90%
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Mon: Category plus title character telling someone about a great adventure led to Sancho Panza, maybe 51% confidence.

Wed: Have seen WW, forgot the time period, never went there. Matched players with "1917".

Thur: Needed astrological reference, but would have gotten the musical without much more than that. Didn't need "4 songs", didn't need the year. Category plus "astrological song" was enough.

Extras: No clue about fashion designers. "The Skin of Our Teeth" should have been an instaget instead of the forehead slapper it turned out to be.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Wrote Don Quixote with maybe two seconds left, so I couldn't think of a secondary character. I can never remember Sancho Panza's name anyway, so it didn't really matter. Not into superhero movies, so I negged Wednesday with 1917.

I feel pretty confident I'd still get Thursday without "astrological." Without it, the clue would essentially be asking for a late '60s musical and Hair would be the first and probably only one I could think of.

Fashion designer was a WAG.

And the (interim) Jennings era begins...
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Seen Wonder Woman

Would've gotten Thursday's clue without "astrological"
I would prefer not to.