Tuesday, January 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS ANIMALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When she first came to the world’s attention in 1957, she was dubbed "Muttnik" by U.S. journalists

Tanay Kothari: 16400-3599=12801
Dusty Smith: 6400-6398=2
Lucy Ricketts: 25200+7900=33100 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Laika (Tanay – Checkers) (Dusty – that Russian dog)

Daily Doubles
Tanay: 2000+2000
Lucy: 9000+9000
Lucy: 22000+2000

Coryats
Tanay: 15200
Dusty: 6400
Lucy: 17400

Combined: 39,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Tanay: 10000
Dusty: 1600
Lucy: 6600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken once again opened with some heartfelt words about Alex. If Ken is reading the remarks then well done by the writer. If Ken is doing it off the cuff then the show is in good hands during this transition time. I also noticed that Ken changed his shoes.

Lucy kept the heat on Tanay and by the end she completely burned him with +11000 on DDs plus the sole solve of the FJ! clue.

Ken's reading of the clues did not seem as fast today so I expect that he received pointers after yesterday's game. 61 clues again and today was a perfectly acceptable episode of how the show can continue for many years.

The FJ! category had me write three precalls with Rin Tin Tin, Jumbo and Checkers.

The FJ! clue had me done before Ken finished reading the clue as I've seen the movie My Life as a Dog.

Throw in all the J! clues from the past and this clue should easily be way above the 33% the contestants gave it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6902

I had no choice but to accept a correction suggestion as I had a "(Alex:" instead of a "(Ken:" which I was bound to do sooner than later.

Multiple laughs in the game for one that should not generate much criticism.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Spawn and DD#2.)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Crawl, Lon Chaney Sr., United Farm Workers, Nightingale, Barnstorming, Meter

Immediately noticed that all contestants have names that end with a Y. To bad Ken doesn't go by Kenny.
Douglas Squasoni
Leander

Post by Leander »

My FJ answer would be “that Russian dog whose name starts with L”. Couldn’t remember the rest of the name.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

It does look Like the Just Changed all the Intro Clips in General. will be interesting to see if they kept the Team Games one. also looks like "Thank you Alex" will be a Normal Occurrence.

Ken did Better Today but i cant shrug the Feeling of Hearing Someone Elses Voice Instead of Alex's

in FJ, I Realized at the Last second that they were talking about a Space animal and said "Its a dog" right as they revealed "Some Russian Dog". that got a Chuckle. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Had they said "and is also a Stop Motion Animation Company" and i would have gotten it! :lol:
Last edited by AntmanB on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $43,000 (47R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen: Instaget

3-letter words whooped my behind, only got the $200 clue. Matched Dusty negging with Jackie Kennedy on History $200.

Was expecting Tanay to go on a run. Congrats to Lucy for a game well played, including solid DD wagering.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Only two episodes in, and it feels like Ken is making more asides and inflections.

So is weird that I'm only now noticing that Ken is left-handed?

I've actually met Violent J of ICP... he and his daughter were both in fursuits at Midwest FurFest. And I didn't realize it until after the fact.

====

History for $200 felt like MASSIVE negbait for Jackie Kennedy. What was the TOM there? I figured Bay of Pigs = 60s = Jackie.

I was -1/5 in History as a result.

Lug for oaf was new to me.

Got only $600 and $1000 in Songs. NHO the $400 and $800 ones. Didn't get $200 because I've never matched that song to an artist.

Was also 0/5 in Science. Blurted out "Mammoth" at $800, causing me to clam on $400. No hope on the other three.

NHO "freckle juice". I thought that was way tougher than Curious George.

"That Russian dog" was almost my response too, but I managed to pull the right name in time.

Lach Trash: nightingale
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:36 pm NHO "freckle juice". I thought that was way tougher than Curious George.
Yeah. That one and Nate the Great were unfamiliar to me (although Nate was easy to come up with given it was rhyming).
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Ken clearly enjoyed the Seattle clue

OMAHA! OMAHA! OMAHA!

Coryat: $39,000

J: 23R7P. 5/5 on Free, Cities, and History. 2/5 on 3-Letter Words.

DJ: 22R7P1W. 5/5 on Science and Women. 4/5 on Literature and Medals. 2/5 on Clown and Weather

FJ: Instaget

LT: crawl, United Farm Workers, barnstorming, meter
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:36 pm History for $200 felt like MASSIVE negbait for Jackie Kennedy. What was the TOM there? I figured Bay of Pigs = 60s = Jackie.
"This ex-First Lady"

And to answer your follow-up question, yes it could have been ANY ex-first lady at the time going all the way back to Martha Washington, but Mrs. Roosevelt did a lot of work in human rights and as a diplomat in the decades after she left the White House. That requires knowledge, you are correct. This show rewards knowledge.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Many congrats to Lucy on a dominating win, capped off by a splendid sole get FJ. I would not have been the least surprised to see Laika a TS, as the space dog just didn't have the same staying power as, say, Gagarin or Glenn or any number of contemporaries.

Once again it was great to be "of a certain age." I don't know how many viewers out there have read somewhere about Laika and managed to remember it from books etc. I remember the event first-hand.

LT: crawl (stroke), Lon Chaney (sp?), nightingale, meter (I was also on hand when the French did the measurements to establish the unit of length, so....)

As I watch Ken, I am aware of a long, long tendency of mine. If I have heard a recording of a piece of music by one artist/group, that becomes (in my mind) the way it's SUPPOSED to sound. if someone else records it later, it's just "wrong." My head tells me the new version is probably just fine, but whatever I'm used to hearing gets in the way of appreciating the new way.

Same with Ken. If I had never heard of Alex, I would probably think Ken's performance is just fine. Because it is, God bless him. It's just, you know, he will never be AT.

I hope to get over that stupid bias eventually, but for now it's still too sad.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I matched a contestant for FJ!...unfortunately, it was Dusty. Well, technically, we didn't match - I at least put down "Sasha". That was a weird FJ!...it almost feels like it was a DD that got promoted. There's no trick necessary, no careful reading of the clue, no WECIB...just "Who was the dog on Sputnik?" (Or, actually, Sputnik 2, which I just looked up.)

I played the precall game, but I soon realized I should have gone with REAL animals. I had Winnie the Pooh, Daniel Tiger, Lassie, Felix the Cat, and Simba.

Ken stopped at the standard 15 clues before the first break, rather than 16. Must have made a mental note to pause the show at its normal spot.

I espanol-ed the pronunciation of Amarillo, just like Ken did. And I also noticed he enjoyed the Seattle clue, his new (or possibly former?) hometown.

Overall, a good job on tonight's show. We now have a streak of 122 clues without a score correction and/or return invite in the Jennings era.
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

First time here in a few years, just saying I think Ken is killing it so far :)

Also surprised that the TDs are gone. Everyone just get sick of them?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I was curious whether Laika was actually a "Russian" dog, given that the Baikonur Cosmodrome is in Kazakhstan. According to Wikipedia, she was "a stray mongrel from the streets of Moscow".
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:21 pm ...

Ken stopped at the standard 15 clues before the first break, rather than 16. Must have made a mental note to pause the show at its normal spot.

I espanol-ed the pronunciation of Amarillo, just like Ken did. And I also noticed he enjoyed the Seattle clue, his new (or possibly former?) hometown.
Did Ken have the say-so about 16 clues in the first segment vs. today's 15 or that is the stage manager's call? After only learning recently about Alex having his finger on the time's up button I've begun to doubt anything I know about the show.

Your mention of Seattle reminded me that I had two Brady Bunch moments in the category. When Greg has a crush on his math teacher, Linda, Carol thinks the Linda might instead be Marcia's new friend, Linda. The friend Linda responds to a question about boyfriends with, "here or in Seattle". The actress says "Seattle" in a way that myself and many others have never heard previously.

If given the chance on J! I would have tried to copy the unusual pronunciation as a gift to any fans of the show.

The other moment does not need such an explanation as "Baton Rouge" is iconic and I always wish for a contestant to say it multiple times like Marcia did when watching Cindy on TV.
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

I've always felt for poor Laika. So I got FJ immediately. I once met a man with a dog named Laika. He told me he as lways felt sorry for her too.

I think Ken is doing quite well. Tough act tp follow.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs:. Cities, Killer Songs, Heavy Medals, Science Center :)
Daily Doubles: :D :( (confused w/Murkowski, said Alaska) :D
trash:. crawl, Long Cheney Sr., UFW, nightingale, barnstorm, meter (non-imperial units, people! :x )
FJ:. Instaget on poor Laika. :mrgreen:
Guessed Rosalyn Carter for the first lady :shock: