Monday, January 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:10 am
jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:01 am
floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:56 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:10 pmThis is the domain of TPH
I've spent four years trying NOT to listen to Trump's voice...
Maybe he will spend a couple of weeks as a guest host at Jeopardy. He's got the time, and he has game show experience from over a decade of hosting The Apprentice. I wonder if his habit of repeating adjectives would be too annoying for Jeopardy. "Covid is a terrible, terrible thing." "No that's very, very wrong. The correct answer is feldspar."
I like hosts who didn't get impeached.
... shortly to add 'twice'.
I tried SO hard to be apolitical in discussing speech :roll:
Of the three POTI (my new invention for plural form of POTUS :;), I'm sure BHO is the only one I'd want to hear sing. But he's more Smokey Robinson than Lou Rawls. BHO would be a great J! host, but we would only get a 35 clue day :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Sure, Ken was reading faster but the recent reruns reminded me that Alex also used to read a lot faster. More jarring to me was Ken's pitch - his voice is considerably higher than Alex's.

Solid first effort, but I'll need to hear him say "genre" before a final judgement. :lol:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:50 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:56 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:10 pmThis is the domain of TPH
I've spent four years trying NOT to listen to Trump's voice...
Maybe he will spend a couple of weeks as a guest host at Jeopardy. He's got the time, and he has game show experience from over a decade of hosting The Apprentice. I wonder if his habit of repeating adjectives would be too annoying for Jeopardy. "Covid is a terrible, terrible thing." "No that's very, very wrong. The correct answer is feldspar."
They gave Trump a shot, but they had to keep explaining to him that he wasn't allowed to "fire" the contestants.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:34 pm In this game, I was reminded of a game earlier this season in which Marni Nixon was mentioned for the first time ever. It was a pleasant surprise to see a clue about Keith Haring, one of my favorite artists, who had been mentioned only twice before in Jeopardy history. As a young lad, I remember getting a kick out of pictures of his cartoon stick figures that a coworker of my mother had in her office.
Also noteworthy, this is the first clue featuring Lee Krasner since 2017. There are just 6 Archive hits for her, an artist in her own right, and this is the first time they've asked the players to come up with her name. All other clues were asking for Pollock when spotted Krasner.

+1 for the writers

+1 for Tanay, who seemed very pleased to get this one :)
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Post by Don't Think Twice »

I think the sped-up reading was probably done in post-episode editing. I wonder if the new policy is to get all 60 clues done. Maybe Alex had resisted speeding up his reading or didn't want it to be sped up during the editing phase.

I'm a bit puzzled about folks being distracted by KJ's "higher pitch" voice. What are they going to say when a woman is an interim host?

I thought Ken did just fine, better than I expected.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm I think the sped-up reading was probably done in post-episode editing.
That seems unlikely to me, but it would be interesting to get a definitive answer on this.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs:. Homophones (the categories just didn't flow for some reason)
Daily Doubles: :( :( :D
trash:. tenderloin, choir/quire
FJ:. Got Viva right away, took about 10 seconds to pull Las Vegas. :mrgreen:
Isn't this the third show in a row that had a category on 60s songs? :?
Ken's reading speed is what I would expect from a Quiz Bowl host.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

billiej wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:44 am
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:21 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:24 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:27 pm Also, repel and rappel are homophones? Ok.
Yes, at least according to Oxford.

re·pel
/rəˈpel/

rap·pel
/rəˈpel/
Yeah, I guess it's just in the way I say it. Repel is close to ruh-pel, whereas rappel is more like rah-pel.

Not just you. I do the same.

I enjoyed Ken's hosting much more than I thought I would. I was afraid his voice would be distracting, but I was quickly able to put it in the background and concentrate on the clues. And I think his opening won over a lot of people.

I went about FJ backwards. I immediately had Las Vegas, knowing it meant "the meadows". Then I tried to think of a song with Vegas... came upon the right response, and only then did i think oh yeah, duh, "viva" is "long live". :lol:
It's all in the accent. To my deep-southern wife, "line", "lion" and "lying" are all homophonic.
--
Drowning in the pool
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

Ken's voice is terrible. Way too high. I am surprised that they didn't work with him to bring it down.

He did speed through the questions which I liked.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

PeteMoss wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:16 pm Ken's voice is terrible. Way too high. I am surprised that they didn't work with him to bring it down.

He did speed through the questions which I liked.
A decent voice coach could almost certainly help him with that. One side benefit of being the son of an (amateur) opera singer: I have no problem projecting my voice, even in a large lecture theater :mrgreen:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

After hearing Alex’s voice for so long anyone’s is going to be off putting. I had never put any thought into Ken’s voice before last night. It is higher pitched than Alex’s but it didn’t bother me. He doesn’t have a traditional game show host voice and I don’t know if that can be changed much at this point in his life.

We also don’t know if he even wants the job. He may be doing this for now because it was convenient for the show. He already worked there and was very familiar with the game and how it works and how it is played. Plus he is a name a casual fan will know. Jimmy would have been fine but his name isn’t going to draw attention like Ken does.
irene
Valued Contributor

Post by irene »

My thoughts on Ken as host:

Ken does not have a voice for radio. I always thought Ken's voice too "thin and high" to be a permanent host.
Also, not only did Alex's voice have a deeper resonance than Ken's, Alex was (is) more handsome than Ken.
Admittedly, while being attractive is an added bonus for TV, it is not a deal breaker.

All that being said, I thought Ken did a super job!
His reading speed didn't seem too quick, just a tad faster than Alex, and it didn't bother my husband or me.
Ken was thoughtful and seemed interested in the contestants' interviews.
And even with the voice-issues, I don't think I will mind Ken as host, at all... 👍
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm I think the sped-up reading was probably done in post-episode editing. I wonder if the new policy is to get all 60 clues done. Maybe Alex had resisted speeding up his reading or didn't want it to be sped up during the editing phase.

I'm a bit puzzled about folks being distracted by KJ's "higher pitch" voice. What are they going to say when a woman is an interim host?
I believe the software that does that does not change the speaker's pitch, if that's what people think is causing it.

Plenty of women have good voices. It's not solely a matter of pitch. But if the woman is Sara Haines, I'll run from the room screaming.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

So when are Gilbert Gottfreid and Fran Drescher hosting? :lol:
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm I'm a bit puzzled about folks being distracted by KJ's "higher pitch" voice. What are they going to say when a woman is an interim host?
What is bothering people about Ken's voice isn't the pitch, it's the timbre. It's thin and reedy. If, say, Anne Murray were hosting, no one would complain that her voice was too high.

But I thought he did great for a first episode.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:35 pm
Don't Think Twice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm I think the sped-up reading was probably done in post-episode editing. I wonder if the new policy is to get all 60 clues done. Maybe Alex had resisted speeding up his reading or didn't want it to be sped up during the editing phase.

I believe the software that does that does not change the speaker's pitch, if that's what people think is causing it.

Plenty of women have good voices. It's not solely a matter of pitch. But if the woman is Sara Haines, I'll run from the room screaming.
Now I want a week of Kristen Schaal hosting. Thanks.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:03 am They gave Trump a shot, but they had to keep explaining to him that he wasn't allowed to "fire" the contestants.
Thanks for inspiring my future submission to MAD, "Reasons Trump Would Make a Terrible Jeopardy! Host."

I don't care that MAD isn't publishing new content anymore. Or that I suck at drawing caricatures. I'm doing it anyway.
alietr wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:35 pm I believe the software that does that does not change the speaker's pitch, if that's what people think is causing it.
It is possible to tweak the speed without tweaking the pitch or vice-versa. I can do it on my laptop in Audacity. I know it was possible to change pitch without changing tempo even in the 60s, because that effect is used on "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!"

I don't think Ken was time-compressed. I can usually spot that kind of thing. GSN used to be really bad about it about 15 years ago -- they would time-compress shows to fit in more commercials, and sometimes the time-compression would screw up and everyone would start sounding like the Micro Machines man on crack.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:59 pm Now I want a week of Kristen Schaal hosting. Thanks.
I did not know the levels of evil to which you were capable of stooping.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:59 pm
alietr wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:35 pm Plenty of women have good voices. It's not solely a matter of pitch. But if the woman is Sara Haines, I'll run from the room screaming.
Now I want a week of Kristen Schaal hosting. Thanks.
I want a whole Bob's Burgers week!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:12 pm It is possible to tweak the speed without tweaking the pitch or vice-versa. I can do it on my laptop in Audacity. I know it was possible to change pitch without changing tempo even in the 60s, because that effect is used on "They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa!"
And Alvin & The Chipmunks, which was the brainchild of Ross Bagdasarian (performing as David Seville) who also recorded the song "Witch Doctor" (Oo-ee, oo-ah-ah, ting-tang, walla-walla, bing-bang). Although I think what was done in that case was intentionally sing at a very slow cadence and then adjust the tape speed, thus making the tempo sound normal, but making the pitch higher.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.