Tuesday, January 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jev15 »

When they revealed Dusty's response to FJ, did anyone else breath a sigh of relief that he hadn't used a more specific word for a female dog?
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

jev15 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 pm When they revealed Dusty's response to FJ, did anyone else breath a sigh of relief that he hadn't used a more specific word for a female dog?
Assuming it's the word you mean, they've used it on the show before.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

nserven wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:44 pm
jev15 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 pm When they revealed Dusty's response to FJ, did anyone else breath a sigh of relief that he hadn't used a more specific word for a female dog?
Assuming it's the word you mean, they've used it on the show before.
I remember Alex using it in the non-female-dog sense during the interview segment on one of the notorious RCMH celeb eps in 2006.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

At first my mind was blank, then Laika appeared from the depths of my consciousness, and I didn't know if it was right. (At least I wrote it down!) But no reason to be proud, judging from the posts, it was easy...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:27 pm All done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6902

I had no choice but to accept a correction suggestion as I had a "(Alex:" instead of a "(Ken:" which I was bound to do sooner than later.
Maybe you can set an autocorrect that automatically changes Alex: to Ken:. Don't forget to include the colon or we'll end up with "Who is Kenander the Great?" being a correct response at some point.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Believe it or not...on Saturday, I watched a rerun of "Designing Women", in which Julia upset Charlene by referring to "the remains of a dog possibly orbiting Earth forever". Not knowing what she was referring to, I did a Google search and came across the sad story of Laika, who gave her life for the advancement of science. So, when that clue came up tonight in FJ, it was an Instaget for me. Had it not been for that episode of DW, I would not have known the name of the dog.

I had known that a space dog was sent into orbit associated with Sputnik but did not know the dog never returned to Earth alive until I read about it Saturday evening, and was hit by a tinge of sadness, with even a small part of me wishing I had not discovered that little nugget of knowledge.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

I honestly could get used to Ken’s hosting. He really brings a youthful and witty aspect to this show.

8/10 (B+)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:45 pm Ken's reading of the clues did not seem as fast today so I expect that he received pointers after yesterday's game. 61 clues again and today was a perfectly acceptable episode of how the show can continue for many years.
Yep, speed was dead on today, but it seemed the trigger guy was letting contestants get in before Ken stopped talking? Or was my mind playing tricks there?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

SBurrus wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:19 pm Believe it or not...on Saturday, I watched a rerun of "Designing Women", in which Julia upset Charlene by referring to "the remains of a dog possibly orbiting Earth forever". Not knowing what she was referring to, I did a Google search and came across the sad story of Laika, who gave her life for the advancement of science. So, when that clue came up tonight in FJ, it was an Instaget for me. Had it not been for that episode of DW, I would not have known the name of the dog.

I had known that a space dog was sent into orbit associated with Sputnik but did not know the dog never returned to Earth alive until I read about it Saturday evening, and was hit by a tinge of sadness, with even a small part of me wishing I had not discovered that little nugget of knowledge.
Now I'm sad twice - I couldn't pull the dog's name for FJ, and while I knew it was a homicide mission, I didn't think about it not being a return from orbit launch. The spacecraft orbited 162 days and whatever was left on re-entry seems to be in the Amazon. The dog likely died of overheating in just 6 hours of the mission, but the Russkies claimed she lasted 6 days and was euthanized before the oxygen ran out. Good thing we have the internet to get the facts correct now.

Congrats to the new champ, she picked off some real hard questions, and that 9K TDD was just balls.

Another good performance by KJ, but I thought his voice was already sounding tired. He seems to be mongering awful hard to get contestants to ask for a "True Daily Double", and makes sure to use the label. I think his in-game quips are very good, and so far none seem to be scripted. (By scripted, I mean anticipated based on the clues he has studied in advance or the intended interview.)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 pm Maybe you can set an autocorrect that automatically changes Alex: to Ken:. Don't forget to include the colon or we'll end up with "Who is Kenander the Great?" being a correct response at some point.
Ah, the Scunthorpe problem. Always bottomsuming that even the most innocent of words is somehow profane.
corpus_callosum
Contributor

Post by corpus_callosum »

I'm really enjoying having Ken Jennings as the host of Jeopardy. It's a natural fit, and I hope he decides to stay on full time once the show has gone through it's guest hosts. It was a tough FJ clue, but I somehow managed to remember the name Laika.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I figured Laika would be a much more well-known bit of trivia than apparently she is. And, yes, screw those pinko bastards for sending up a dog to die in space.

Of course the U.S. famously launched two chimps into space: Ham and Enos. Both returned to Earth safely.

Great game overall tonight. I think Tanay could have had a good run, but Lucy came to play!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:03 pm and while I knew it was a homicide mission,
Laika being a dog, it can't be a homicide.

Still, dick move.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:35 pm it seemed the trigger guy was letting contestants get in before Ken stopped talking? Or was my mind playing tricks there?
I caught this as well, brushed it off as maybe an editing thing. I noticed quite a few edits in today's show, something I don't normally pay attention to.

Precalled Soupy Sales in the ICP category to no avail.

FJ was a blind spot. A flashcard was made minutes after the show.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

My son made the precall for FJ: “Dad, what was the name of the first dog in space?” (Id been thinking of jumbo, Lassie, Rin Tin Tin and Balto. Fortunately, I’d watched Lasse Halstrom’s excellent “My Life as a Dog” so I had the answer at hand.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Laika. My precalls for the category for Keiko the orca and Koko the gorilla.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

As I watch Ken, I am aware of a long, long tendency of mine. If I have heard a recording of a piece of music by one artist/group, that becomes (in my mind) the way it's SUPPOSED to sound. if someone else records it later, it's just "wrong." My head tells me the new version is probably just fine, but whatever I'm used to hearing gets in the way of appreciating the new way.

Same with Ken. If I had never heard of Alex, I would probably think Ken's performance is just fine. Because it is, God bless him. It's just, you know, he will never be AT.

I hope to get over that stupid bias eventually, but for now it's still too sad.
I think that's simply human nature. We tend to fall in love with the first version of something, and any subsequent versions will fail in comparison more often than not.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

If I somehow do make it on the show after all of this, should I put "met Violent J at a furry con" on my card?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:27 pm All done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6902

I had no choice but to accept a correction suggestion as I had a "(Alex:" instead of a "(Ken:" which I was bound to do sooner than later.
Maybe you can set an autocorrect that automatically changes Alex: to Ken:. Don't forget to include the colon or we'll end up with "Who is Kenander the Great?" being a correct response at some point.
This reminds me of a pair of tweets I once saw from some random: she was writing a novel, and decided to change the main character's name from Ken to Keith; she did a "find and replace" without thinking it through, and found her work suddenly peppered with words like "brokeith," "wokeith," and "spokeith." In the second tweet, she said she forgot this Ken was sometimes called by his full name, so he became "Keithneth" in those instances.

edit: capitalized "tweets" once
Last edited by seaborgium on Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:23 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 pm

This reminds me of a pair of Tweets I once saw from some random: she was writing a novel, and decided to change the main character's name from Ken to Keith; she did a "find and replace" without thinking it through, and found her work suddenly peppered with words like "brokeith," "wokeith," and "spokeith." In the second tweet, she said she forgot this Ken was sometimes called by his full name, so he became "Keithneth" in those instances.
That woman sounds like a real Dwigt.