Tuesday, January 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Tuesday, January 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

The US had a space monkey named Miss Baker that survived the flight. However, her post-space life wasn’t very pleasant as she spent it in a small glass box on display at the space museum in Huntsville, Alabama.

Instaget FJ for me.

If Mark noticed Ken’s shoes then Andy was lucky Mark wasn’t a guard at Shawshank.

Would Alex have been hip enough to get the reference to ICP? I am married to a coulrophobe so she would not have liked that category.

I thought he was talking faster today. He does need to slow it down a tad. We did get a time warning but we had several misses and TS.

Today we had our first Ken era funny FJ response, the first LTAMTG warning, and a player saying “That’s right, Ken”. Ken also gave a nod to Alex by praising teachers.

I also said Jackie but that was on me for not parsing the clue properly.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:23 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:27 pm All done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6902

I had no choice but to accept a correction suggestion as I had a "(Alex:" instead of a "(Ken:" which I was bound to do sooner than later.
Maybe you can set an autocorrect that automatically changes Alex: to Ken:. Don't forget to include the colon or we'll end up with "Who is Kenander the Great?" being a correct response at some point.
This reminds me of a pair of tweets I once saw from some random: she was writing a novel, and decided to change the main character's name from Ken to Keith; she did a "find and replace" without thinking it through, and found her work suddenly peppered with words like "brokeith," "wokeith," and "spokeith." In the second tweet, she said she forgot this Ken was sometimes called by his full name, so he became "Keithneth" in those instances.

edit: capitalized "tweets" once
There is some Christian website that automatically changes the word gay to homosexual. This became a problem when they posted a story about the Olympics and readers learned about a sprinter named Tyson Homosexual.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:09 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:21 pm ...

Ken stopped at the standard 15 clues before the first break, rather than 16. Must have made a mental note to pause the show at its normal spot.

I espanol-ed the pronunciation of Amarillo, just like Ken did. And I also noticed he enjoyed the Seattle clue, his new (or possibly former?) hometown.
Did Ken have the say-so about 16 clues in the first segment vs. today's 15 or that is the stage manager's call? After only learning recently about Alex having his finger on the time's up button I've begun to doubt anything I know about the show.

Your mention of Seattle reminded me that I had two Brady Bunch moments in the category. When Greg has a crush on his math teacher, Linda, Carol thinks the Linda might instead be Marcia's new friend, Linda. The friend Linda responds to a question about boyfriends with, "here or in Seattle". The actress says "Seattle" in a way that myself and many others have never heard previously.

If given the chance on J! I would have tried to copy the unusual pronunciation as a gift to any fans of the show.

The other moment does not need such an explanation as "Baton Rouge" is iconic and I always wish for a contestant to say it multiple times like Marcia did when watching Cindy on TV.
I never thought the teacher was good looking enough to distract me so much I couldn’t concentrate on my class work. But I probably wouldn’t have freaked out over meeting Wes Parker. (Is that the best the producers could do?). At least the teacher didn’t hook up with Steve Garvey.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Huge win for Lucy, who played big when she had to and nailed the final. (A bad case of moon madness in 2019 helped lock this one in for me before Ken was done reading.) I was so heartened to see an informed wager by Tanay from second after wanting to call the betting police every night for a while there.

I appreciate the job Ken is doing. He's good.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Is it just me, or were a lot of bottom row clues on these boards incredibly easy?
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:19 am Is it just me, or were a lot of bottom row clues on these boards incredibly easy?
I was 5/6 on the $1000 row and 6/6 on the $2000 row, so my vote is "not just you."
Agrajag
Contributor

Post by Agrajag »

I was playing along at home last night and had a question about a situation that's come up a few times...

It was concerning DJ!'s Notable Women for $1200
She had taken a major role in the family business even before her brother Gianni's tragic death in 1997
Tanay rang in and answered "Versace" (same thing I said on my couch) and Ken prompted for more specifics.

Do the producers give guidance before taping about which types of answers may require more than the standard last name only? I assume it has something to do with Gianni [Versace] being referenced in the category specifically about Notable Women, so proof the player knows the woman's name is required. But it's weird when 9 times out of 10, last names only are accepted, but every once in a while you'll need to provide more but you may not know until after you ring in...

Does anyone know if this has ever happened during FJ!?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:20 am If I somehow do make it on the show after all of this, should I put "met Violent J at a furry con" on my card?

You’ve actually taken and passed the online test?
talkingaway

Re: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

Agrajag wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 am I was playing along at home last night and had a question about a situation that's come up a few times...

She had taken a major role in the family business even before her brother Gianni's tragic death in 1997
Tanay rang in and answered "Versace" (same thing I said on my couch) and Ken prompted for more specifics.

Do the producers give guidance before taping about which types of answers may require more than the standard last name only? I assume it has something to do with Gianni [Versace] being referenced in the category specifically about Notable Women, so proof the player knows the woman's name is required. But it's weird when 9 times out of 10, last names only are accepted, but every once in a while you'll need to provide more but you may not know until after you ring in...

That one is so easy to anticipate that they almost have to have written it down for Ken (or discussed it "at the table" when they go through the clues). It's a little bit of a trap to go "Versace", and then have to give the first name, but sometimes there's no good solution. Giving the last name and asking for the first can make some clues trivial (and not in the good way). Sometimes even just saying "give the first name" can do the same - if the topic is US Presidents and you get that warning, the field is narrowed from 44 possible correct responses to 10.

I'm 90% sure there's a famous case of "Ooh, sorry, last name not enough" on FJ!, but it's eluding me now. Curie? I think the writers are smart enough to avoid this kind of mix-up, but you never know.

Speaking of names and presidents, is there precedent for where the line is drawn? I know I've heard "Roosevelt? Which one?" before, which strikes me as a bit weird, as I think of them as being pretty disjoint and tough to confuse - I'd probably say "FDR" for Franklin, and just "Roosevelt" for Teddy, which would trigger the BMS.

On the other hand, Bush and Adams seem obvious to me to say correctly from the start - I wonder if "Bush 41" (not his name) or "Bush, senior" (I don't think it's really been used) are acceptable. Has anyone ever been asked to BMS Johnson?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:13 am That one is so easy to anticipate that they almost have to have written it down for Ken (or discussed it "at the table" when they go through the clues). It's a little bit of a trap to go "Versace", and then have to give the first name, but sometimes there's no good solution. Giving the last name and asking for the first can make some clues trivial (and not in the good way). Sometimes even just saying "give the first name" can do the same - if the topic is US Presidents and you get that warning, the field is narrowed from 44 possible correct responses to 10.
Considering some of the things that they don't bother BMSing, asking for one here was baffling. He only has one sister.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Johnblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:20 am If I somehow do make it on the show after all of this, should I put "met Violent J at a furry con" on my card?

Yeah, not even I know how I did it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Johnblue wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:08 am

Have you actually ever interacted with humans before? This would teach you what an incredibly rude thing this is to ask in that way.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:13 am
Agrajag wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:31 am I was playing along at home last night and had a question about a situation that's come up a few times...

That one is so easy to anticipate that they almost have to have written it down for Ken (or discussed it "at the table" when they go through the clues). It's a little bit of a trap to go "Versace", and then have to give the first name, but sometimes there's no good solution. Giving the last name and asking for the first can make some clues trivial (and not in the good way). Sometimes even just saying "give the first name" can do the same - if the topic is US Presidents and you get that warning, the field is narrowed from 44 possible correct responses to 10.

I'm 90% sure there's a famous case of "Ooh, sorry, last name not enough" on FJ!, but it's eluding me now. Curie? I think the writers are smart enough to avoid this kind of mix-up, but you never know.

Speaking of names and presidents, is there precedent for where the line is drawn? I know I've heard "Roosevelt? Which one?" before, which strikes me as a bit weird, as I think of them as being pretty disjoint and tough to confuse - I'd probably say "FDR" for Franklin, and just "Roosevelt" for Teddy, which would trigger the BMS.

On the other hand, Bush and Adams seem obvious to me to say correctly from the start - I wonder if "Bush 41" (not his name) or "Bush, senior" (I don't think it's really been used) are acceptable. Has anyone ever been asked to BMS Johnson?
If “Jones” has been deemed insufficient one upon a time, Ken would never have been put in a position to ask anyone to BMS.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My recollection from the pre-game briefing is that they are very specific in telling you that last names alone are usually sufficient, and you will be prompted during normal game play if the first name is needed (such as in this case). However, since you can't be prompted in Final Jeopardy, you've got to use your judgment on whether a first name will be needed to pin your response adequately. Although I believe people have noted here that sometimes the contestants will be explicitly instructed that a first name will be required (off camera, of course).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Poll request for freckle juice.
Agrajag
Contributor

Post by Agrajag »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:32 pm

My recollection from the pre-game briefing is that they are very specific in telling you that last names alone are usually sufficient, and you will be prompted during normal game play if the first name is needed (such as in this case). However, since you can't be prompted in Final Jeopardy, you've got to use your judgment on whether a first name will be needed to pin your response adequately. Although I believe people have noted here that sometimes the contestants will be explicitly instructed that a first name will be required (off camera, of course).
I figured there may be an off-camera prodding when FJ! responses may require both names.

However, I also remember the {Marion] Jones FJ! episode Woppy T eluded to above... Maybe that instance prompted producers to start sharing "We're going to need you to be specific in this FJ!" prompts off-camera?

I only ask because I answered "Versace" but didn't have time to even try to THINK of "Donatella" before Tanay answered the BMS prompt...
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I came here looking for just one boardie-llama announcing they got Laika from morbeedo's One Day Special, Doomed Voyages

:shock:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:54 pm I came here looking for just one boardie-llama announcing they got Laika from morbeedo's One Day Special, Doomed Voyages

:shock:
Sorry, but it didn’t hurt that I played it.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Leander wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:05 pm My FJ answer would be “that Russian dog whose name starts with L”. Couldn’t remember the rest of the name.
I started down the right path with "L", but wound up at the wrong destination with "Latka." Maybe someday we'll use satellites as taxis, but not today.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had to watch this game later, but my dad said that as it aired, the closest he got was "balalaika." He knew it was wrong, but he didn't realize just how close he was.