Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:04 pm Whittaker is 69 years old. I certainly don’t see him as a serious candidate for permanent host.
Alex was 80...so is 11 years not enough?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Coming into this late:

I was very surprised to see Jeopardy choosing Aaron Rodgers to be a guest host. If they want to go the football route, this guy has much more game show hosting experience. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nf ... uxbndlbing
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:04 pm I agree with Robert they should be using their time trying out serious candidates and not an active NFL quarterback just for attention.
Has anybody called Brett Favre? He might be available.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:04 pm I agree with Robert they should be using their time trying out serious candidates and not an active NFL quarterback just for attention.
Has anybody called Brett Favre? He might be available.
What's Rolf Benirschke doing these days?
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:37 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:04 pm Whittaker is 69 years old. I certainly don’t see him as a serious candidate for permanent host.
Alex was 80 after he'd hosted for 37 years. I wish Whittaker good health & a long life, but he won't be hosting anywhere near that long. Given that the search is for a new permanent host, they're probably inclined to go with somebody who can plausibly end up hosting that long.
AntmanB
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by AntmanB »

they have to fill 6 months of shows. they havent filled half of that so there splenty of time for both fill ins and actual auditions. Probably Couric and Jennings are the only actual Auditions so far.

i Hope Holzhauer and Rutter get a week, Just For Fun.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

brucejoel199 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:03 pm
triviawayne wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:37 pm
Alex was 80 after he'd hosted for 37 years. I wish Whittaker good health & a long life, but he won't be hosting anywhere near that long. Given that the search is for a new permanent host, they're probably inclined to go with somebody who can plausibly end up hosting that long.
So you’re looking for

Total game show career losings = $171,522
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:49 pm Social media is totally fake, the pitchforks and the attaboys. I don't mean to say that the people posting criticism or praise aren't doing so sincerely. I mean that all the noise on Twitter and Reddit makes very close to zero difference to the only metric that counts, ratings.

Which is why I think it's folly for the show to treat the interim hosting as an extension of Celebrity Jeopardy! rather than as bona fide auditions. They could collect a lot of useful ratings data, trying out people who are actual candidates for the permanent hosting position.
Yeah I know. The only reason I follow J! on social media at all is they occasionally post pictures or video clips that I don't see elsewhere. The pitchforks are an amusing diversion, which is why I said it was completely anecdotal. I was just surprised at how quickly and how completely they about-faced.
--
Drowning in the pool
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

With all of this talk about Aaron Rodgers hosting J!, I haven't yet seen an initial airdate for College Bowl with Peyton Manning. Does anyone happen to know when it will start airing? You all seem to have sources about things that I can't seem to find on Google or DuckDuckGo.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

ParrotRob wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:28 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:49 pm Social media is totally fake, the pitchforks and the attaboys. I don't mean to say that the people posting criticism or praise aren't doing so sincerely. I mean that all the noise on Twitter and Reddit makes very close to zero difference to the only metric that counts, ratings.

Which is why I think it's folly for the show to treat the interim hosting as an extension of Celebrity Jeopardy! rather than as bona fide auditions. They could collect a lot of useful ratings data, trying out people who are actual candidates for the permanent hosting position.
Yeah I know. The only reason I follow J! on social media at all is they occasionally post pictures or video clips that I don't see elsewhere. The pitchforks are an amusing diversion, which is why I said it was completely anecdotal. I was just surprised at how quickly and how completely they about-faced.
People have short memories. A big deal is made about something for a couple days and they move on to the next crisis. I don’t do Twitter so I was unaware of everything he said until it got reported elsewhere. I am enjoying his run as guest host and would keep watching if he got the job.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I love Bill Whitaker as a guest host. I only watch 60 Minutes occasionally, but I always enjoy his reporting. He has a very steady and precise voice that lends itself well to reading 61 clues. As an added bonus, he has a very strong mustache and Jeopardy viewers love a host with a mustache :lol:

For those arguing about his age, LeVar Burton is 63 and the consensus seems to be that he would be an excellent choice. Whitaker is only 5.5 years older.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I'm liking the Mayim Bialik idea. Well-versed and funny. She has a doctorate!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

kerryoakie wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:34 am This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I love Bill Whitaker as a guest host.
I'd rather have Jodie Whittaker as interim guest host #5
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I'm not really a fan of stunt casting Jeopardy hosts. And I like Aaron Rodgers, I'm sure he'll do a good job, but that's what this feels like.

Making a big deal out of "see who's hosting next week!" goes against the ethos of making the contestants the star of the show.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

georgespelvin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:49 pm Coming into this late:

I was very surprised to see Jeopardy choosing Aaron Rodgers to be a guest host. If they want to go the football route, this guy has much more game show hosting experience. https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nf ... uxbndlbing

How about Randall Cunningham? He hosted a kids game show called Scramble in the mid-1990s.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I've been reminding myself regularly that no one can replace Alex and the show will be different. Not to overreact to their attempts to find a new host. Not to judge too quickly.

Unfortunately, I'm failing.

I don't imagine Aaron Rodgers is more than a temporary attempt to draw viewers and I don't know when he's scheduled to tape, but if there's one time of the year players and coaches are actually "on vacation" it's between the day their team is eliminated (Green Bay's still going) and the end of February. Basically, 11 months, 6 days a week for players (7 for coaches).

I will renew my begging for a new host who has no connection to or interest in politics. So that means Arthur Chu?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

yclept wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:29 pm So, 6 weeks of Ken. 2 weeks of Mike Richards. One week of Katie, Bill, Aaron, Mayim.

That is 12 weeks booked. Assuming those are consecutive weeks, the will need new hosts in early April. I wonder if any other former Jeopardy players will take a turn?
Where was it announced that the latter four are each only hosting one week of episodes? Obviouly that makes sense for Rodgers (and for Whitaker, who at 69 wouldn't be auditioning to be permanent host - and Couric at 64 may also be too old to be under consideration for the permanent gig).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

AntmanB wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:11 pm Probably Couric and Jennings are the only actual Auditions so far.
As mentioned in the video a little upthread, Bialik holds a Ph.d. in neuroscience, so I would say she checks the "gravitas" box. And having just turned 45 last month, she's the right age to have the potential for a decades-long run as permanent host.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

hbomb1947 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:40 pm
AntmanB wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:11 pm Probably Couric and Jennings are the only actual Auditions so far.
As mentioned in the video a little upthread, Bialik holds a Ph.d. in neuroscience, so I would say she checks the "gravitas" box. And having just turned 45 last month, she's the right age to have the potential for a decades-long run as permanent host.

she just started acting in a tv show on fox. i guess
she could do Both? Chris Harrison did do The Bachelor and Millionare at the same time.