New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:38 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am I added 4/5/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6749

Player pics of Ken Wells & Richard Shildt who played Bill Holzapfel:
Spoiler
The oops opening mentioned previously: https://youtu.be/4lLOGNOfUx8

There was a news break in about this event: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_ ... light_2311

Two clues were missed because of it. I gave Bill double correct responses and it seems to fit the scoreboard situations.

talkingaway: I would say Alex was curious where the "Pat Br" was going and while there decided to follow up on the Hoover. To me it was not fishing for specification one way or the other and just Hoover would have been accepted.
Bill had his recording of the game and shared the two missing clues as a correction suggestion. I've now cleaned up the game.
I humbly suggest that those clues probably didn't have periods at the end of them.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:26 am I added 4/5/91: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6749
Man, that BIBLICAL PHRASES category was a tough one. Even I missed one--the $400 clue. I just couldn't zero in on what they were looking for though the response was obvious enough when it came.. The Daniel reference didn't ring any bells and I wasted time trying to remember events from that book. In retrospect I realized the reference was just there to pin the response. And I only got the $500 on a guess. Good on the contestants for sweeping it. That column would be a disaster today.

Good thing they only asked for one of the presidents born in Vermont. I matched Ken's response and would not have known who to guess for the second.

This game went to Richard on a TS for making a good wager from second. It helps that the right wager in his case was also one that would shut out third if he got it right and would overtake a $0 wager by first.

Considered all three wrong contestant responses for FJ. Finally settled on Ken's. Total forehead slap on reveal. In the "I feel old" department (rapidly becoming the "I am old" department) the category FILMS OF THE '40s was for those contestants what a FILMS OF THE '70s category would be today.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remember this game, I didn’t get FJ then but I remember Alex naming the films. That last one on the list is no longer available.
kablamfan11
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by kablamfan11 »

I found the partial 9/10/87 episode on the Internet Archive:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

kablamfan11 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:42 pm I found the partial 9/10/87 episode on the Internet Archive:
Thanks, I'll get it in later, if no one else does. It would be funny if I botched an Alex comment and credited it to Ken instead.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:17 pm
kablamfan11 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:42 pm I found the partial 9/10/87 episode on the Internet Archive:
Thanks, I'll get it in later, if no one else does. It would be funny if I botched an Alex comment and credited it to Ken instead.
Don't forget to update the champ's 2-day winnings, since there was scoring inconsistency in her second game.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

January 4, 1994 Kurt Bray Game 2

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

kingskip wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:44 pm January 4, 1994 Kurt Bray Game 2

Thanks. I've downloaded it in case it disappears, but I make no claim on entering it, since I'd like to finish the games from India's tape first.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kurt Bray game seen and I have it copied as well. I'll get in the archive before Sunday.

Thanks for the post.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remember that Conway Twitty commercial. Just for fun I called the number to order the album and got a law firm that handles cases for people who got sick from taking Zantac.

I got FJ on a guess. Is there a reason I should know it other than
Spoiler
The kids had German names?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:45 pm I remember that Conway Twitty commercial. Just for fun I called the number to order the album and got a law firm that handles cases for people who got sick from taking Zantac.

Spoiler
That's one way to get it. My path was knowing who wrote the operas with two of the kids' names in the titles. I don't know or care about the origin of Eva.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:45 pm I remember that Conway Twitty commercial. Just for fun I called the number to order the album and got a law firm that handles cases for people who got sick from taking Zantac.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Wagner wrote operas called Tristan und Isolde and Siegfried. Big names in Germanic mythology. (Eva was the heroine of his Meistersinger, but that's probably not the way in for most.) So pretty much on a level with "English playwright who had a kid named Hamnet." Maybe easier.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Good to know my trigger finger is still not rusty and I can ring in first against a penguin. :)

Thanks for the Eva knowledge.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I just looked at that FJ! and simultaneously Norah O'Donnell on the CBS Evening News said that tonight we're remembering Siegfried of Siegfried & Roy.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:07 pm Good to know my trigger finger is still not rusty and I can ring in first against a penguin. :)

An opposable thumb works better than a flipper.

Thanks for the information. I guess I could have googled that but why not just be lazy and have others answer for me.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

Well, this video has got to be downloaded and reuploaded to Internet Archive immediately, I hope Erick Dye-Cain is the man to accomplish this.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added the first segment of 1987-09-10: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6905

If the rest ever turns up at least there is a head start to it. Nice to get a proper introduction for Brenda & Ted in the archive.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It is in the middle of a string of games missing intros. Maybe whoever posted the game has the others.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:07 pm Good to know my trigger finger is still not rusty and I can ring in first against a penguin. :)

Yep, it was looking up Eva that put me behind. Next time I'll post first, edit later. :D
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

Ivoryface86 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:56 pm

Well, this video has got to be downloaded and reuploaded to Internet Archive immediately, I hope Erick Dye-Cain is the man to accomplish this.
I downloaded the video. I'll get it up on the Internet Archive