Friday, January 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Friday, January 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:13 pm I kind of hate this final.
+1

Yes, watching The Crown would help with this one, but being given only an obtuse fact about QE2's youngest child, this FJ is a pure guess for most people at best. I also just chose the President with the shortest time in office in the last 70 years.
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

I had two routes to FJ: The Crown with its very memorable scenes of the Kennedys' visit, and knowing I share a birth year with Edward.

Have enjoyed KJ's hosting a lot more than I expected and would be happy if he ended up as permanent host.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lstone19 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:21 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:50 pm I saw the movie The Queen and the that was not going to help. I have only seen the first episode of The Crown. Would having watched more of that series given me some memorable scene to tilt my scale the other way?
Thanks to watching The Crown, JFK was one I could immediately eliminate.
Yep. Also, Margaret was the one who went to the US to see LBJ, so there's your answer.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I thought FJ! was yet another hit this week for Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire", but it wasn't. And I've skipped The Crown so far, so that didn't help me at all. It was the obvious answer, because he was the shortest term in her reign (a record that will be reset in 5 days and then hopefully revert back), but also the wrong one. The Ireland trip would make sense. Of course, chronology would help too, and the royal family is one of my gaps because I'm just not that interested....J! awards a wide range of interests, and this wasn't my topic. If I'd known that Edward existed, and that he was born in 1964, it would have obviously been an slam dunk.

Precalling can be dangerous - for LONG STORY, I precalled "War and Peace", so when I saw a Russian author, I fell into the trap.

I had no idea Warhol did "Liz". Despite her first name literally being right up there in quotation marks so I could see it emphasized, I went with Norma Jean. Goodbye, $200.

I wonder if they'd accept CCCP for USSR - I guess technically it's pronounced "see see see pee" in the original Russian. But if I were to see the LNH advertized in Quebec, I'd still say "ell en haych", and not however the letters are said in French.

A good week for Ken overall. I like his style - good interviews. And with only 4 clues dropped, getting a perfecto during a game with a sponsored nighttime photography category, and avoiding any missed rulings (although he was slow to rule one response incorrect), I'd say his technical work is pretty good, too.

Did anyone else notice the callback to Alex's first week of interviews? The "energy demonstrator" brought on a balloon as a prop to demonstrate nuclear fission. We had a prop for horse flu.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

mas3cf wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:59 pm Poll request on JFK as incorrect response for FJ. I'm going to go out on a limb and predict it gets more hits than the correct response (unless some key path to the correct solution emerges that I'm not seeing)
You are probably right, and that is the reason I hate-hate-hate this kind of clue. I know anything (at least hypothetically) is fair game to be clue material, but....

"When was QEII's youngest child born?" Who was POTUS then? Really????? All one can do is take an educated guess, which is not the way I like to see FJs go. Boo, hiss to the writers!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:41 pm
I wonder if they'd accept CCCP for USSR - I guess technically it's pronounced "see see see pee" in the original Russian. But if I were to see the LNH advertized in Quebec, I'd still say "ell en haych", and not however the letters are said in French.
Negative. Those are Cyrillic characters; the Latin equivalent is SSSR.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am in a couple American history groups on Facebook so I have seen this mentioned there. But I agree it isn’t a great FJ.

A little digging told me she has never met Biden. She also did not accompany her parents when they visited FDR.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:13 pm I kind of hate this final. The birth year of Prince Edward just seems like a completely useless hint. The birth years of her 4 children are 1948, 1950, 1960, 1964. Despite the two posters above bizarrely claiming they just know Edward was born in 1964, that is not any kind of clue to the vast majority of the population. Prince Edward has never at any time of his life been a well-known public figure to Americans so knowing whether he happened to be born in 1961 or 1964 is entirely arbitrary. Who cares if some third tier royla is 56 or 59? If anything, someone is more likely to know how old Prince Charles is, and that actually hurts you here as unless you know there is a 10 year gap in Liz's offspring it is probably more reasonable to place Edward in 1961 rather than 1964.
The birth year hint kept me from guessing Ford, who otherwise seems like the most logical guess.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:58 pm I am in a couple American history groups on Facebook so I have seen this mentioned there. But I agree it isn’t a great FJ.

A little digging told me she has never met Biden. She also did not accompany her parents when they visited FDR.
I was wondering why the clue specified “sitting” President. Was this to rule Biden out as a response?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:17 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:58 pm I am in a couple American history groups on Facebook so I have seen this mentioned there. But I agree it isn’t a great FJ.

I was wondering why the clue specified “sitting” President. Was this to rule Biden out as a response?
The fact that he's not yet the President rules him out.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

econgator wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:19 pm

I know. So why did the clue specify “sitting” presidents?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:40 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:19 pm

I know. So why did the clue specify “sitting” presidents?
Maybe QE2 met LBJ at some point when he wasn't president?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:49 pm

You are probably right, and that is the reason I hate-hate-hate this kind of clue. I know anything (at least hypothetically) is fair game to be clue material, but....

"When was QEII's youngest child born?" Who was POTUS then? Really????? All one can do is take an educated guess, which is not the way I like to see FJs go. Boo, hiss to the writers!
People hate this kind of final because they're typical Jeopardy fans/contestants who aren't capable of anything beyond basic recall, the lowest level on Bloom's taxonomy. They want to be asked something simple that they think no one else knows, like what's the capital of American Samoa. Today's FJ clue requires synthesizing two pieces of knowledge. It can be done by someone who is capable of applying knowledge and not merely being stone silent because they weren't asked a simple recall question. This is also typical of college quiz bowl players.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It was probably more to rule out non-sitting presidents still alive.
davey

Post by davey »

I've been watching The Crown lately...I almost went on to the next episode this week but watched something else (inferior) instead...Checking the program guide, the JFK meeting is in my next episode... :roll: She did have a baby in the last episode I watched, but it wasn't clear which child it was. The episode is about Princess Margaret's marriage, which (I didn't know while watching) was in 1960, so the baby was Andrew...
Last edited by davey on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

alamble wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:12 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:48 pm Has anyone even heard of Ted Lasso? (besides Vixey) :?
I've seen the first season twice, and cannot recommend it highly enough.
Some of you have way too much time on your hands. I don't even watch network TV, & the writers expect us to know every random streamed show? Seriously?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:03 pm

People hate this kind of final because they're typical Jeopardy fans/contestants who aren't capable of anything beyond basic recall, the lowest level on Bloom's taxonomy. They want to be asked something simple that they think no one else knows, like what's the capital of American Samoa.

Today's FJ clue requires synthesizing two pieces of knowledge.

It can be done by someone who is capable of applying knowledge and not merely being stone silent because they weren't asked a simple recall question. This is also typical of college quiz bowl players.
You would probably be right IF the first required piece of knowledge weren't so damned obtuse.
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:23 pm
alamble wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:12 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 3:48 pm Has anyone even heard of Ted Lasso? (besides Vixey) :?
I've seen the first season twice, and cannot recommend it highly enough.
Some of you have way too much time on your hands. I don't even watch network TV, & the writers expect us to know every random streamed show? Seriously?
I didn't remember the name, but I have seen ads for it...on network TV. And I believe have read praise for it in newspapers.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

A Salon article name dropped last month: https://www.salon.com/2020/12/08/ted-la ... e-tv-plus/
econgator wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:40 pm
lstone19 wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:21 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:50 pm I saw the movie The Queen and the that was not going to help. I have only seen the first episode of The Crown. Would having watched more of that series given me some memorable scene to tilt my scale the other way?
Thanks to watching The Crown, JFK was one I could immediately eliminate.
Yep. Also, Margaret was the one who went to the US to see LBJ, so there's your answer.
Drat, forgot about that (though it doesn't technically rule out LBJ). I ended up going with Nixon (it essentially being a coin flip between the two...the 60s all sorta blur together for me...) Was easily able to rule out JFK tho.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

floridagator wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:03 pm

People hate this kind of final because they're typical Jeopardy fans/contestants who aren't capable of anything beyond basic recall, the lowest level on Bloom's taxonomy. They want to be asked something simple that they think no one else knows, like what's the capital of American Samoa. Today's FJ clue requires synthesizing two pieces of knowledge. It can be done by someone who is capable of applying knowledge and not merely being stone silent because they weren't asked a simple recall question. This is also typical of college quiz bowl players.
I think you're missing why people are cranky about this clue. If the correct answer were JFK, it would have been an excellent clue. Figure out someone who was president later in QE2's childbearing years, and why would they not have met... well, maybe if he suffered an untimely death!

As it is, there was JFK as, in the words of TPH, *MASSIVE* negbait, and the only way to rule it out is to know more obscure things about QE2, or apparently, to watch The Crown.