FJs for the 1/11/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/11/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:51 pm

The name of this title song from a 1964 movie can be translated from Spanish as "Long Live The Meadows"
67%
When she first came to the world's attention in 1957, she was dubbed "Muttnik" by U.S. journalists
79%
The Oyapock River forms part of Brazil's 400-mile border with the territory of this European country
81%
This 1969 book was first printed in Japan because no U.S. company would then make a book with so many holes in the pages
62%
Of the last 12 sitting U.S. presidents, the only one Elizabeth never met; she had her youngest child 3 months into his presidency  
17%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
5%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
CHILDREN'S LITERATURE $400: The recipe for this title Judy Blume "Juice" includes grape juice, vinegar & mustard
8%
POSSESSIVE HISTORY $2000: This Roman emperor's 125-foot column, built after he conquered Dacia, stands in the forum that also bears his name
43%
Y IS THE ONLY VOWEL $2000: From Greek for "to carve", it's a picture or symbol that can represent a word in ancient writing systems
71%
For the Monday FJ! clue I had "Viva" or "Las Vegas" in my incorrect response though not both.
8%
For the Monday FJ! clue the Spanish for "Long Live" was more helpful to me than "The Meadows".
42%
For the Monday FJ! clue the Spanish "The Meadows" was more helpful to me than "Long Live"
17%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I was close but I could not quite correctly recall the dog's name.
14%
Suriname (or Dutch Guiana) was my incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
2%
Netherlands was my incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
5%
I have held a copy of Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar in my hands.
57%
JFK was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
45%
Truman was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
8%
Nixon was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
5%
Ford was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
5%
I have seen the episode of The Crown that features Queen Elizabeth II meeting John Kennedy.
20%
I watch Jeopardy! with the closed captioning on.
15%
I watch Jeopardy! with the closed captioning off.
86%

Total votes: 86

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 1/11/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

1/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1960s SONGS

1/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this title song from a 1964 movie can be translated from Spanish as "Long Live The Meadows"

1/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS ANIMALS

1/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When she first came to the world's attention in 1957, she was dubbed "Muttnik" by U.S. journalists

1/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD GEOGRAPHY

1/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Oyapock River forms part of Brazil's 400-mile border with the territory of this European country

1/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CHILDREN'S BOOKS

1/14 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1969 book was first printed in Japan because no U.S. company would then make a book with so many holes in the pages

1/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II

1/15 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the last 12 sitting U.S. presidents, the only one Elizabeth never met; she had her youngest child 3 months into his presidency

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
"Viva Las Vegas"
Laika
France
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Lyndon Johnson
The players were 8/15 (53.33%) with a 2-1-2-2-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have three correct by Lucy with the first one requested.

CHILDREN'S LITERATURE $400: The recipe for this title Judy Blume "Juice" includes grape juice, vinegar & mustard

POSSESSIVE HISTORY $2000: This Roman emperor's 125-foot column, built after he conquered Dacia, stands in the forum that also bears his name

Y IS THE ONLY VOWEL $2000: From Greek for "to carve", it's a picture or symbol that can represent a word in ancient writing systems

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Freckle
Trajan
glyph

MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 1/11/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Netherlands & JFK

The Meadows helped me the most for the Monday FJ! clue
No guess on the Blume juice
Have held and read the Eric Carle book
Only seen Season 1 Episode 1 of The Crown
Checked both CC on and CC off as it depends on what I’m doing and need.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:| :| :mrgreen:

Mon - (nada, couldn't even come up with nothing to write down)
Fri - Nixon

Never read nor held Caterpillar
Have seen all of The Crown

No [CC] for me on J!, tried it a couple times many many years ago, but it throws my timing off.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: JFK

Chuck Berry aside, I'm giving myself credit for writing "Leika." I got a little mixed up with the camera company.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

"The Russian space dog," I forget what I guessed Thursday

Viva clicked first, then I filled in the rest.
I don't know whether I've held The Very Hungry Caterpillar or not.
Have not seen any of The Queen.
No closed captions.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :( :(

I'm fluent in Spanish, so both "Long Live" and "The Meadows" were equally helpful.

Went Dutch on Wednesday, Pat the Bunny Thursday (even though I have read The Very Hungry Caterpillar), no guess Friday.

I watch everything with the CC on.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

I watched the JFK episode today...(Dexter is JFK!) Early on In it, Elizabeth is complaining to her mother about feeling "middle-aged." Oh, stop it! says Mum. You haven't even finished having children yet...True, replies Elizabeth. Not one of the most convincing exchanges of dialogue in the series, but it's as if Friday's FJ was written with it in mind...It sure would have helped me since I went with Eisenhower. (At least it's better than Truman - I think I overlooked "youngest," and didn't do the math either...)
I turn on the closed captioning to check myself from time to time. My impression is that the accuracy used to be better.
Last edited by davey on Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

I was close on both misses: JFK and "Pimple Juice." If the latter (maybe both!) had been a question on LearnedLeague, I think I would have worked it out.

I didn't necessarily think one part or the other of "long live the meadows" was more helpful, but I did remember that the latter portion was what Las Vegas's name meant before I recalled how to say "long live" in Spanish, so I checked the "the meadows" box.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

Viva was the key, then I remembered the Vegas = meadows
Got as far as a dog named L
No idea Thursday, have never opened the book.
Coin flip between JFK and LBJ. Have seen parts of The Crown, but not this episode.

Watch a lot of TV with the CC on, usually turn it off for J!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got Freckle Juice because my sister was a big Judy Blume fan. If you were in grade school in the '70s Judy Blume was pretty tough to avoid.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
Somehow I went through childhood without ever reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar, so that was a miss. Went with the herd on JFK.
:? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: NHOI for Freckle Juice.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

I checked "yes" for the holey book. However, I'm pretty sure I left off "very". I suspect I may be stretching things there. My wife used to be a pre-school teacher. She burned through more than one copy of the book. So it's a bit embarrassing to not be perfectly correct.

Neither long live, nor the meadow was helpful. Don't know enough Spanish. :oops:

Joined the contestant in only getting as far as that Soviet dog.

Been working on my South American geography. Took half the think music to get there, but I arrived in plenty of time. Also happy that I parsed the clue correctly. This is the kind of clue I am most likely to parse incorrectly and respond with the wrong kind of thing.

I've commented enough on the daily thread for the UK monarch. I'll not repeat things here.
--Peter
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

My post-Trebek era is off to a rotten start.

Translated "Viva" in my head, but came up with nothing after that. Wrote La Bamba as a last second effort.

Crossed out Netherlands and put U.K., forgetting that "British Guiana" is no longer a current country.

Jeopardy's Twitter account retweeted something from the Eric Carle Museum warning that they'd be related to a clue under "Children's Books." Forgot about it until FJ that day. Decided to mark it as a miss via spoiler. I think I remember reading that book when I was young, so I marked the appropriate box.

Went instantly to Ford on Friday, immediately thinking of the modern President who served the least amount of time. Did the mental math and figured QEII didn't have her last kid in her late 40s, but couldn't decide who to change it to and left Ford as my response.

Never seen The Crown, don't watch this show with CC.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JFK on Friday.

I own copies of The Very Hungry Caterpillar in English, French, and German.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

JFK on Friday... I was pretty confident, too...
Couldn't remember the name for Freckle Juice, NHO that emperor in a surprise for me, easy get on last one
The Very Hungry Caterpillar was the first book I remember reading.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:| :| :|

4/5 in the post-Trebek era.

"Viva" means "long live". I did take Spanish, but I don't think that's where I learned it. It's just a thing to know. I'm surprised how long it took me to complete the title of a song that begins with Viva. Maybe 5 seconds, but still. In retrospect it felt as though it should have been instantaneous. I just thought of two poll questions that it's too late to request. Who thought of Viva but couldn't complete the title for a get? Who thought of Viva Las Vegas but rejected it for something (or nothing) else?

Tuesday's correct response had my mind trying to come up with various puns. I was thinking along the lines of Walter Kerr's famous three-word review of the play I Am a Camera: Me no Leica. Only in my case, me Laika this clue.

Basic South American geography is pretty easy to learn and makes Wednesday's clue a cinch. Like others, I'm definitely mentioning Sporcle in my acceptance speech. But I'll also mention JBoard. It stuck with me when DadofTwins pointed out a problem with the FJ on March 13, 2014. There was some discussion on whether the FJ was "technically" or "flat out" incorrect. After considering the arguments, I went with "flat out" and the factoid that Brazil borders France has stuck with me ever since.

Name a kid lit book with holes in it. WECIB? I'm sure there are others, but not for J! purposes.

That leaves Friday where I started with Ford, was pretty sure I remembered seeing pictures of him with QE2, and switched to Carter. I don't have a good grip on the royal kiddies or their ages. It didn't occur to me to consider whether I remembered the birth of any English royal from that generation. Since I don't, that should've ruled out anyone after Nixon. And I was pretty sure I remembered pictures of good Queen Bess with Nixon, and also with JFK. That would have left LBJ as the odds-on favorite and Ike as a 12-to-1 longshot. So many boardies flipped a coin between LBJ and JFK. If only I'd been smart enough to narrow it down to those two, I wouldn't have needed a coin.

Have heard of the Blume title Freckle Juice, but wouldn't have come up with it even given FJ time. The three other hits in the archive all spot you the title and ask for the author. That direction, I can navigate. My brain coughed up Hadrian's Column. Not sure if I'd have rung in with that. Don't recall if I got glyph.

We leave CCs off but will go to them on replay if we need clarification or a second opinion.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

In hindsight... if you're saying "long live (something plural)" the correct conjugation is "Vivan ____". Reflecting on how I thought through it, it could very well have derailed my train of thought without me even realizing it.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:12 pm
Tuesday's correct response had my mind trying to come up with various puns. I was thinking along the lines of Walter Kerr's famous three-word review of the play I Am a Camera: Me no Leica. Only in my case, me Laika this clue.
:ugeek: ...Stories like this are fun, but they're so often not true. In fact the headline on Kerr's (standard-length) review in the NY Herald Tribune for Dec. 9, 1951 is
Van Druten's 'Camera' Snaps a Berlin Scene: Author's New Drama Is an Arresting One; Dazzling Performance by Julie Harris
He calls the title "laconic and colorless," but other than that there's barely a negative word in the review. It can be checked at the NY Public Library site, or probably any library that gives access to Proquest Historical Newspapers... :ugeek:
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

davey wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:30 pm I turn on the closed captioning to check myself from time to time. My impression is that the accuracy used to be better.
The closed captions on Jeopardy are truly amazing. It is clear they go to quite an effort to have them spot-on.

I watch everything with captions, and am very familiar with the good, the bad and the ugly. The Jeopardy captioner(s?) even make sure to show contestant mistakes. If the captions show a mistaken answer, it means they are going to catch it, sooner or later.

There was a mistake a few weeks back, just in the captions, that had no effect on the show itself. I remember thinking at the time how rare that was. And it was brought up in the conversation here atJBoard.

The number of captioning errors in the last year or so can be counted on a finger or two.