FJs for the 1/11/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 1/11/21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:51 pm

The name of this title song from a 1964 movie can be translated from Spanish as "Long Live The Meadows"
67%
When she first came to the world's attention in 1957, she was dubbed "Muttnik" by U.S. journalists
79%
The Oyapock River forms part of Brazil's 400-mile border with the territory of this European country
81%
This 1969 book was first printed in Japan because no U.S. company would then make a book with so many holes in the pages
62%
Of the last 12 sitting U.S. presidents, the only one Elizabeth never met; she had her youngest child 3 months into his presidency  
17%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
5%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
CHILDREN'S LITERATURE $400: The recipe for this title Judy Blume "Juice" includes grape juice, vinegar & mustard
8%
POSSESSIVE HISTORY $2000: This Roman emperor's 125-foot column, built after he conquered Dacia, stands in the forum that also bears his name
43%
Y IS THE ONLY VOWEL $2000: From Greek for "to carve", it's a picture or symbol that can represent a word in ancient writing systems
71%
For the Monday FJ! clue I had "Viva" or "Las Vegas" in my incorrect response though not both.
8%
For the Monday FJ! clue the Spanish for "Long Live" was more helpful to me than "The Meadows".
42%
For the Monday FJ! clue the Spanish "The Meadows" was more helpful to me than "Long Live"
17%
For the Tuesday FJ! clue I was close but I could not quite correctly recall the dog's name.
14%
Suriname (or Dutch Guiana) was my incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
2%
Netherlands was my incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
5%
I have held a copy of Eric Carle's The Very Hungry Caterpillar in my hands.
57%
JFK was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
45%
Truman was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
8%
Nixon was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
5%
Ford was my incorrect response for the Friday FJ! clue.
5%
I have seen the episode of The Crown that features Queen Elizabeth II meeting John Kennedy.
20%
I watch Jeopardy! with the closed captioning on.
15%
I watch Jeopardy! with the closed captioning off.
86%

Total votes: 86

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: FJs for the 1/11/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

astrohip wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:19 pm
davey wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:30 pm I turn on the closed captioning to check myself from time to time. My impression is that the accuracy used to be better.
The closed captions on Jeopardy are truly amazing. It is clear they go to quite an effort to have them spot-on.

I watch everything with captions, and am very familiar with the good, the bad and the ugly. The Jeopardy captioner(s?) even make sure to show contestant mistakes. If the captions show a mistaken answer, it means they are going to catch it, sooner or later.

There was a mistake a few weeks back, just in the captions, that had no effect on the show itself. I remember thinking at the time how rare that was. And it was brought up in the conversation here atJBoard.

The number of captioning errors in the last year or so can be counted on a finger or two.
As someone who deals with the CC to archive the games the count unfortunately is much higher for errors. Some of the errors are silly like the recent "alien" for "avian". Yes, the CC can be very good and always helpful while there are plenty of ticky tack things missed daily.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

astrohip wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:19 pm The number of captioning errors in the last year or so can be counted on a finger or two.
As someone who has done a lot of archiving both with and without captions, I can say that captioners manage to catch things I never could have deciphered no matter how many times I replayed, with and without headphones, so good job captioners. But to say their error rate is 0.0004% (figuring there are about 1800 captioned words per episode, not counting the clues which are not captioned) is off by well over an order of magnitude. It's much more like 1 or 2 percent.

Sometimes whole shows are recaptioned for no apparent reason. I remember some GSN reruns dropped the original captions and re-did them but much worse, frequently condensing/abridging things, leaving off words and whole sentences. Newer shows are captioned much more accurately than older shows. In the '80s they were pretty sloppy.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:( :D :D :( :shock:

Tough week of FJs for me. The Crown was of little help to me on Friday's clue. That's because although the first season was incredible, the second season was an utter slog and largely forgettable. I remembered the JFK/Jackie episode, but I couldn't recall if Anne and Charles were in that one. I guessed Truman in FJ, and figured if it wasn't him, it was likely Ike.

Rats.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:13 pm Sometimes whole shows are recaptioned for no apparent reason. I remember some GSN reruns dropped the original captions and re-did them but much worse, frequently condensing/abridging things, leaving off words and whole sentences. Newer shows are captioned much more accurately than older shows. In the '80s they were pretty sloppy.
Captioners in the '80s were usually trying to stick to a very low reading rate -- the premise being that a certain percentage of the deaf and hard of hearing weren't used to reading text while watching TV, or even reading text at all (if their primary language was ASL). They'd abridge, paraphrase, and rewrite text in the captions if necessary.

By the time I became a closed-captioner in 1997, we would still try to stick to a (fairly generous) reading rate, and were only allowed to make minor abridgments (leave out words if absolutely necessary). Reading rates finally went away circa 2001.

I occasionally closed-captioned J! in 1999 and 2000, but I'm not sure my experiences from a couple of decades ago would have any bearing on the current state of J! captioning.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

At this time, 19% for LBJ, 52% for JFK. I really don't know how the writers can rescue this clue without giving it away. Knowing the names of these inbred families is torture enough, asking the birth year is a bridge too far :lol:. It sounds like most the correct answers come via the movie/tv show reference of meeting JFK.

Thanks, Mark for the poll and the pithy poll discussions on the closed captioning from our erudite boardies. It is a much deeper subject than I realized. I just like the option of the second chance replay when I am inattentive, as well as comprehension of mumbo jumbo. Mine is on 24/7, even though it obstructs football scoreboards, etc..

If I'd have thought of the caterpillar book, I'd have missed it for the adverb, forgetting the "very". I've never seen the book, but it came up in a Llama clue recently I think.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

JFK on Friday.

Never use CC for Jeopardy!
I would prefer not to.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Not a good FJ week.

Latka for the dog and wound up feeling very silly. Though I guess we could make a case that Andy Kaufman has a space connection with Man on the Moon.

Aware that a book about a hungry caterpillar exists but that's it. Didn't know it was very hungry, probably thought it was hungry, hungry. But I think that's hippos, not caterpillars.

Missed "youngest" in the ER II clue. Charles is a couple of years older than I, so Truman was my first thought.

Like hungry caterpillars, aware that a book about freckle juice exists, but that's the extent of it.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.