Monday, January 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:32 pm

I thought Jennifer might get negged for "deltoids", but Ken never said specifically that the response had to start and end with "d".
If he had, I hope the clue wouldn't have called for a plural, as this one did.
I realize "jewelry" would have given it away, but "luxury" is vague, so my first thought was Bloomingdale's, which has appeared in a movie or 2. But I couldn't think of any famous ones, so I moved on and Tiffany's crept in. It wasn't until then that I realized the foods were breakfast items... :oops: Still, plenty of time....
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran D to D, and surprisingly, Celebrity Names in Common.

I knew Historical Markers was "the guy who killed Lincoln" but totally blanked on the name, costing me a third run.

Music Class for $1,600 was HUGE negbait for "bottom". My only miss. I didn't know cellos have bridges.

Strangely, "G"-ography was my only 0/5. Forgot the category at $400 and can't say I've heard of the Green Mountains (even though I know where Vermont's name comes from).

I didn't know QEI was that long ago. Could have taken 400 guesses and never gotten that. The cold buzzers on Revolutionary War, on the other hand, shocked even me.

Instaget FJ!, and I see at least three people have beaten me to the obvious Deep Blue Something reference.

Lach Trash: Revolutionary War
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:14 pm Music Class for $1,600 was HUGE negbait for "bottom". My only miss. I didn't know cellos have bridges.
The clue can't be negbait if it literally gives you the correct response within.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:32 pm
Anyone else find "Chernobyl" vastly overvalued in HISTOIRC TV? Ukraine + 1986 is an easy Pavlov for the explosion. I suppose you had to be sure that the city was the name of the mini-series, and it wasn't named "Chernobyl Disaster" or something like that. Maybe I'm biased because I watched the mini-series.
That's actually fairly common, as I can attest to as someone who knows diddly squat about TV, especially whatever trillions of series are coming out on Netflix these days. Quite often the $2000 clue in a TV category is something you can get from knowledge in another subject matter, which means it's the only one I can get. Why they put those in the bottom row is beyond me, but I'll take it!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:32 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:14 pm Music Class for $1,600 was HUGE negbait for "bottom". My only miss. I didn't know cellos have bridges.
The clue can't be negbait if it literally gives you the correct response within.
Sul ponticello is an instruction to bow close to this part of the instrument
I don't see bottom or bridge anywhere in that.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

AntmanB wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:57 pm so weird not seeing the usual logo in the closing credits.
CBS television distribution is now CBS Media Ventures, so that’s why the logo’s a bit different from now on.

Anyway, a very nice start to Week 2 of the post-Alex era.

8/10 (B+)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:45 pm
econgator wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:32 pm
Sul ponticello is an instruction to bow close to this part of the instrument
I don't see bottom or bridge anywhere in that.
I don't see "bottom" bait there, but I do see a root meaning "bridge" in there.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

3/4 on big clues. I'm going to go watch The Crown. It's very popular with the Jeopardy writers and they have good taste.

I did really well on almost everything except the music class category. I feel like I should put some time into studying that type of category but it also seems like something that should be learned organically rather than studied as trivia. It's not that straightforward to learn organically either. Maybe I should buy a violin.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a good movie. Audrey Hepburn is great in that film.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

If having movie buff Ken Jennings as host means we get one FJ a week that's tangentially related to the movies, I'm even more on board with naming him permanent host. Unlike last week's clue though, I got this one, and I got it instantly.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

rockyboy34 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:34 pm
AntmanB wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:57 pm so weird not seeing the usual logo in the closing credits.
CBS television distribution is now CBS Media Ventures, so that’s why the logo’s a bit different from now on.

Anyway, a very nice start to Week 2 of the post-Alex era.

8/10 (B+)
my bad, i meant more of the music but yeah, seeing CBS followed by Sony in teh credits is just odd.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I almost had an embarrassing miss on FJ by completely forgetting the category until about 20 seconds in. I was all set to write down Barneys just to have something.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I also thought "deltoids" was going to get reversed, but asking for the plural in the clue kind of asks for that, so fair play.

5/6 on $2000 clues, am I the only one who has never heard of Smith & Wollensky? Is that a steakhouse only in certain parts of the country?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed Run Roughshod and Wollensky.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Captain, Ice Giant, (John Wilkes Booth), Graham Greene, Revolutionary War, Godwin-Austen, Edith Wharton
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:25 am I also thought "deltoids" was going to get reversed, but asking for the plural in the clue kind of asks for that, so fair play.

5/6 on $2000 clues, am I the only one who has never heard of Smith & Wollensky? Is that a steakhouse only in certain parts of the country?
Wollensky rang no bell for me.

Locations: https://www.smithandwollensky.com/our-restaurants/

Previous archive hit:

#4399, aired 2003-10-23 WHAT DO YOU FEEL LIKE EATING? $400: Smith & Wesson sells guns; Smith & this sells steaks

Add in LSV missing it and there you go.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Ken mispronounced Bemidji. The first syllable has a schwa. He pronounced it with an eh as in egg.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but we were used to Alex's very careful pronunciation for 36 and 1/2 years.

Final Jeopardy was definitely wecib. So was the question about John Lithgow. What other British prime minister are they going to ask about someone playing? Harold Macmillan? No. Lloyd George? No.

I don't think Smith & Wollensky was even a fair question. This is a chain with half a dozen restaurants in rich people venues. Not the same as asking about Procter & Gamble.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:45 am
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:25 am I also thought "deltoids" was going to get reversed, but asking for the plural in the clue kind of asks for that, so fair play.

Wollensky rang no bell for me.

Locations: https://www.smithandwollensky.com/our-restaurants/

Previous archive hit:

#4399, aired 2003-10-23 WHAT DO YOU FEEL LIKE EATING? $400: Smith & Wesson sells guns; Smith & this sells steaks

Add in LSV missing it and there you go.
I literally said "Wess...Wollensky" when the clue popped up because "Smith and..." so strongly led me to "Wesson". Caught it in time to credit myself.

I think they overestimate how well-known the restaurant is - that's the only other archive hit for "Wollensky", and it was a TS too even at a $400 level.

There are only nine, and only seven in the US. One is a stone's throw from me, which is probably why I got it. Never tried it - seems a little overpriced to me, especially the sides. But I guess that's the price of going to a steak house.

Perhaps they put it in because the contestants were from the Los Angeles area, and hence kind of near Vegas? Still, a stretch, and makes me feel better about other clues that I get wrong.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 am Ken mispronounced Bemidji. The first syllable has a schwa. He pronounced it with an eh as in egg.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but we were used to Alex's very careful pronunciation for 36 and 1/2 years.
Alex wasn't exactly a paragon of pronunciation. The first thing to spring to mind is his turning Z's in non-Italian, non-German foreign names into "ts" sounds, as in Kazuo Ishiguro and The Brothers Karamazov—both Japanese and Russian have "ts" sounds that are transliterated as "ts," and "z" sounds that are transliterated as "z." Ken's pronunciation was incorrect, but let's not pretend Alex's was always unassailable. (I'd find a clue where Alex read Bemidji to make a comparison, but the last time it came up was in early 2017, before I started recording and saving nearly every episode.)
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 am

I don't think Smith & Wollensky was even a fair question. This is a chain with half a dozen restaurants in rich people venues. Not the same as asking about Procter & Gamble.
They let anybody walk down Third Avenue in NYC. I don't know if a movie has ever featured it, but I've passed it and noticed it many more times than I've noticed passing Tiffany's on Fifth. (I've never been inside either.) It's conspicuous.
The one I had never heard of in this game was "whammy bar."
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

AntmanB wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:57 pm
... Absolutely no clue on final. i havent watch very many recent movies. but of course it ended up being a 60s Movie. Everyone else got it, so i guess im stupid lol.
Rest easy, you're not alone. I was also thrown off by the mention of it opening in 2017, and figured it was some much more recent movie. And since I've never spent any time in NYC, I didn't know Tiffany was an actual store, luxury or otherwise.

I've never seen the movie, although I've at least heard of it... Which, for non-movie-guy me, should have been more than half the battle.

p.s. A good friend of mine, one who was actually a J! contestant, also missed FJ!, even though she loved the flick and has seen it four times.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

The Talking Mime wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:44 pm If having movie buff Ken Jennings as host means we get one FJ a week that's tangentially related to the movies, I'm even more on board with naming him permanent host. Unlike last week's clue though, I got this one, and I got it instantly.
I was on the Ken train and you just convinced me to jump off... :lol: