Monday, January 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Monday, January 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Another NHOI on the steakhouse here.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Slam dunk FJ for me, along with the contestants. I enjoyed Jennifer's savvy wagering over the past two games. Helen got away with a bad one. Congrats to Donesh on a game well played, although he also got away with a FJ wager.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 am Ken mispronounced Bemidji. The first syllable has a schwa. He pronounced it with an eh as in egg.
Wow, that seems like a pretty subtle pronunciation difference to pick up on.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

DBear wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:42 pm
I don't think Donesh should've been negged as the two different measurements implied uneven in the clue. :|
I was expecting a BMS instead of an outright neg; I've often heard TV gymnastics commentators refer to them as the "uneven parallel bars".
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:23 pm
DBear wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:42 pm
I don't think Donesh should've been negged as the two different measurements implied uneven in the clue. :|
I was expecting a BMS instead of an outright neg; I've often heard TV gymnastics commentators refer to them as the "uneven parallel bars".
The parallel bars are a distinct event of their own; you can't* BMS a wrong answer into a correct one, only a nebulous one.

(E.g.: "This country contains Belfast." "Ireland?" "Wrong." You can't BMS Ireland into Northern Ireland.)

*I'm sure there's been times this rule wasn't strictly adhered to, either intentionally or accidentally, but don't go on the show expecting to be the exception.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:01 pm The parallel bars are a distinct event of their own; you can't* BMS a wrong answer into a correct one, only a nebulous one.

(E.g.: "This country contains Belfast." "Ireland?" "Wrong." You can't BMS Ireland into Northern Ireland.)

*I'm sure there's been times this rule wasn't strictly adhered to, either intentionally or accidentally, but don't go on the show expecting to be the exception.
That's still IMO far more clear-cut than most BMSes, which just turn into a game of "guess the synonym" that none of the contestants ever seem to win.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Poll request: this Triple Stumper:
"G"-OGRAPHY $1600: K2 is also known as this, from the name of the mountain's original surveyor
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:12 pm Poll request: this Triple Stumper:
"G"-OGRAPHY $1600: K2 is also known as this, from the name of the mountain's original surveyor
I'm no geography buff, yet I knew that one. I was quite surprised that this one got past the contestants.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rackme32 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:45 pm
I'm no geography buff, yet I knew that one. I was quite surprised that this one got past the contestants.
That name hasn't been used much lately, like Ayers Rock or Mt McKinley. Pretty much you only see it as K2 these days.

In fact, I was going to add this unprompted but this makes a good segue: the first winter summit of K2 was completed only a few days ago by a 10 man Nepali team and none of the coverage referred to it as "Godwin Austen"

Only NatGeo even mentioned the name and not in context of the mountain but only as a glacier:
Despite the coronavirus pandemic this year, more than 60 people congregated at basecamp on Pakistan’s Godwin Austen Glacier, including a large commercial expedition with 22 paying clients 27 support Sherpa organized by Seven Summits Treks, a Nepali guide service.
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/adve ... hest-peak/
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I would have easily gotten it if it were the other way around, but I would have needed a minute or two to get it as asked.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Picked Off wrote: I enjoyed Jennifer's savvy wagering over the past two games. Helen got away with a bad one. Congrats to Donesh on a game well played, although he also got away with a FJ wager.
Maybe Donesh had a hunch that Jennifer would wager wisely. She actually could have bumped her wager by 1299, but it still wouldn't have been enough to catch him with his pants down.
I wonder if the upcoming contestants are allowed to view the tapings from the 'audience', as before covid.

Oh, and I think the John Wilkes Boothe DD should pole over 90%
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

I still can't decide if that wager is genius or not. Jennifer obviously has powerful incentives to bet small, given how close she is to Helen's doubled score and Donesh's current score isn't much higher. The problem is that Jennifer's incentivized wager is *too* small, since Donesh's bet is too big to save him on the double stumper if she's betting in the $1,601-$4,800 range that makes the most sense for her here.

If Donesh wants to be clever here, his wager needs to be WAY smaller. I guess that I've answered my own question here just by typing it out.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Newhausen wrote: The problem is that Jennifer's incentivized wager is *too* small, since Donesh's bet is too big to save him on the double stumper if she's betting in the $1,601-$4,800 range that makes the most sense for her here.

If Donesh wants to be clever here, his wager needs to be WAY smaller. I guess that I've answered my own question here just by typing it out.
Yeah, It's hard to say if Donesh knew what he was doing or not. Even if he was convinced Jennifer would not bet above $25,000 on a get, he still (knowingly?) left himself open to a tie-breaker with Helen betting zero. He should have at least trimmed a dollar or two off his bet. I just realized I may have answered my own question. :)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:58 am
floridagator wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 am Ken mispronounced Bemidji. The first syllable has a schwa. He pronounced it with an eh as in egg.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but we were used to Alex's very careful pronunciation for 36 and 1/2 years.
Alex wasn't exactly a paragon of pronunciation. The first thing to spring to mind is his turning Z's in non-Italian, non-German foreign names into "ts" sounds, as in Kazuo Ishiguro and The Brothers Karamazov—both Japanese and Russian have "ts" sounds that are transliterated as "ts," and "z" sounds that are transliterated as "z." Ken's pronunciation was incorrect, but let's not pretend Alex's was always unassailable. (I'd find a clue where Alex read Bemidji to make a comparison, but the last time it came up was in early 2017, before I started recording and saving nearly every episode.)
The one of Alex's that most annoyed me was how he'd say "Coeur d'Alene" all super-Frenchy like, when the locals just say cor'-duh-lane'.
In and out of the pool four times
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:57 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:45 pm
That name hasn't been used much lately, like Ayers Rock or Mt McKinley. Pretty much you only see it as K2 these days.
Yeah, I think the only reason I know it is from poring over old atlases and encyclopedias when I was a kid.
Agrajag
Contributor

Post by Agrajag »

$26,200 Coryat with 37 R / 2 W
Runs: Historical Markers, Space-Podge, Celebrity Names in Common
DD: :D :( (Assumed he was Blair in the most recent season) :D
LT: Ice Giant, (John Wilkes Booth), Revolutionary War
FJ: :mrgreen:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:58 am

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but we were used to Alex's very careful pronunciation for 36 and 1/2 years.
Alex wasn't exactly a paragon of pronunciation. The first thing to spring to mind is his turning Z's in non-Italian, non-German foreign names into "ts" sounds, as in Kazuo Ishiguro and The Brothers Karamazov—both Japanese and Russian have "ts" sounds that are transliterated as "ts," and "z" sounds that are transliterated as "z." Ken's pronunciation was incorrect, but let's not pretend Alex's was always unassailable. (I'd find a clue where Alex read Bemidji to make a comparison, but the last time it came up was in early 2017, before I started recording and saving nearly every episode.)
Yep, I'd say Alex wins this round of the Nugatory Picayune Nitpick Rodeo. Ironically it was the non-Canadian who inserted an eh into his pronunciation: