Tuesday, January 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by brick »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:45 pm
Last time Caligula/Nero come up as a response I missed it and decided to figure it out or use a mnemonic. So that worked..
So? Did you figure something out? Do you have a mnemonic you’d like to share?
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

rockyboy34 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:24 am
rockyboy34 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:31 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:15 pm Like Bamaman, for FJ, had to guess between Motel 6 and Super 8. Guessed correctly, but my logic was merely "which one have I heard mentioned on Jeopardy! more often?" Turns out the 8 was from $8.88, so the rate wasn't actually in the name. Good to know.
I combined the names from both companies and said Motel 6. 🥴

Nice try, Brian, but H&R Block won't work everytime. 😂

7/10 (B)
Whoops! I meant Motel 8.
I started with Dollar Rent-A-Car and then settled on Motel 8.

Yes, 8.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:05 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:17 pm FJ was a welcome WAG as my thought process was: "They're clearly looking for a motel/hotel chain with an amount in the name. Motel 6? Were rooms really that cheap back then? I got nothing better so let's try it..."

To echo Mark's point, you gotta know your 7 Wonders guys. I knew he was doomed when he bet only 10k. Thats an all-or-nothing situation there, going half-way does nothing to improve your odds, as evidence by Brian still having the lock.
Halfway might have left him a shot, unfortunately he went 2/3rds which doomed him.
Did KJ praise the wager later in the show? I thought I heard this but forgot to replay it.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

brick wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:41 am
Last time Caligula/Nero come up as a response I missed it and decided to figure it out or use a mnemonic. So that worked..
I used the mnemonic “All Tigers Can Claw Now” to remember the order of Augustus/Tiberius/Caligula/Claudius/Nero. I make no claim that it doesn’t sound stupid. I know Caligula and Nero weren’t next to each other, else Rome would have fallen sooner, so the Cs don’t confuse me. I’m not sure why I came up with that sentence, maybe a clue mentioned a bad emperor letting tigers attack people or I saw a commercial for Frosted Flakes. No idea if that will work for anybody else. The clue mentioned the 3rd emperor so I got it from the mnemonic immediately.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
brick

Post by brick »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:43 pm
I used the mnemonic “All Tigers Can Claw Now” to remember the order of Augustus/Tiberius/Caligula/Claudius/Nero. I make no claim that it doesn’t sound stupid. I know Caligula and Nero weren’t next to each other, else Rome would have fallen sooner, so the Cs don’t confuse me. I’m not sure why I came up with that sentence, maybe a clue mentioned a bad emperor letting tigers attack people or I saw a commercial for Frosted Flakes. No idea if that will work for anybody else. The clue mentioned the 3rd emperor so I got it from the mnemonic immediately.
Very cool. Thank you.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:29 am Here's one for you...celestial. 3 syllables or 4? (I know, nobody says celestual... :roll: )
I'd say it with four, but this one I can either way. Same with verbiage being two or three syllables.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Woppy T wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:38 am
jeff6286 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:05 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:17 pm FJ was a welcome WAG as my thought process was: "They're clearly looking for a motel/hotel chain with an amount in the name. Motel 6? Were rooms really that cheap back then? I got nothing better so let's try it..."

To echo Mark's point, you gotta know your 7 Wonders guys. I knew he was doomed when he bet only 10k. Thats an all-or-nothing situation there, going half-way does nothing to improve your odds, as evidence by Brian still having the lock.
Halfway might have left him a shot, unfortunately he went 2/3rds which doomed him.
Did KJ praise the wager later in the show? I thought I heard this but forgot to replay it.
I think he said he liked the big wager but that was about it.

Yes, the 7 wonders should definitely be on your short list study guide.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:43 pm
Very nice. No problem with the C's; "Claw" obviously is Claudius and "CA" matches CAligula. Many putative mnemonics don't address the issue of multiple words starting with the same letter.

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:53 pm
I think there's more leeway on foreign words and phrases that would be reasonably difficult for a native English speaker to say.
Goethe on foreign pronunciations. I think that's a good rule.
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Did anyone know "June gloom"? That seemed like a very California-centric clue.

Ran 3 Letter Responses.

"Up in the air" was my only miss in Synonym. NHO the movie.

Blanking on "silla" cost me the run in Libros en Español.

0/5 in Song References. Those were some really deep cuts. Any reason I should know $400 was John Mayer and not any other John?

Instaget FJ! I think it would have been funny:L if they'd played the "we'll leave the light on for you" fiddle music in place of the FJ! music.

Lach Trash: Light in August
Agrajag
Contributor

Post by Agrajag »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:41 pm Finally done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6913

Ugh! More than a dozen media clues and some of them double images.

It shows that the boards can be cleared as the game also featured a lot of category jumping.
Are the media clues on j-archive supposed to link to pictures/video?

I've always gotten the following error when clicking on any of the links, and I always assumed they were broken for everyone...
Not Found

The requested URL was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Is it just me?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:36 pm Did anyone know "June gloom"? That seemed like a very California-centric clue.
I did but I'm from there. You may be right that it's not known elsewhere. I'm curious if it's even known in Northern California or more than 100 miles from the coast.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:57 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:36 pm Did anyone know "June gloom"? That seemed like a very California-centric clue.
I did but I'm from there. You may be right that it's not known elsewhere. I'm curious if it's even known in Northern California or more than 100 miles from the coast.
These are the same writers that think everyone has heard of Smith & Wollensky. :|
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:14 pm These are the same writers that think everyone has heard of Smith & Wollensky. :|
Or Del Taco.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Oops. I'm going to post what I had here in the appropriate game thread. :oops:
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agrajag
Contributor

Post by Agrajag »

$27,400 Coryat with 39 R / 7 W
Runs: Sounds Like the Movie Sequel, Testing Testing
DD: :D :D :D
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Sleeves), (Mausoleum)
Agrajag
Contributor

Post by Agrajag »

Pennsylvania native here (although I did live in southern CA for ~9 months in 2009) and I got it
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

(Comment no longer needed)
Last edited by Volante on Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Agrajag wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:34 pm
Pennsylvania native here (although I did live in southern CA for ~9 months in 2009) and I got it
Did those 9 months include June and were they as a teen or adult?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Agrajag wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:55 pm Are the media clues on j-archive supposed to link to pictures/video?
Eventually they will. It's a matter of going through the feed and pulling out each individual clue to get the capture. It's not a quick process.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:50 pm
Agrajag wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:55 pm Are the media clues on j-archive supposed to link to pictures/video?
Eventually they will. It's a matter of going through the feed and pulling out each individual clue to get the capture. It's not a quick process.
None of the links have worked for something like the last 6 years. I'm not sure that eventual is ever going to come to pass.