Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by ParrotRob »

reddpen wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:47 pm Anyone else think that--assuming as executive producer he has significant say in who the next host will be--Mike Richards might pull a Dick Cheney and choose Mike Richards?

As for Ms. Couric's remarks (which I have only seen referenced in the usual alarmist conservative news headlines), some enormous percentage of the GOP still believes that Tr*** won the 2020 election. That at least calls for some education, if not reeducation.
Care to cite your source that an "enormous percentage" of the GOP believe that nonsense? I think it's equally likely that an enormous percentage of the other party believe whatever nonsensical "facts" they are told to believe, such as "an enormous percentage of the GOP think that Trump won the election".
--
Drowning in the pool
CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

ParrotRob wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:27 pm
reddpen wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:47 pm Anyone else think that--assuming as executive producer he has significant say in who the next host will be--Mike Richards might pull a Dick Cheney and choose Mike Richards?

As for Ms. Couric's remarks (which I have only seen referenced in the usual alarmist conservative news headlines), some enormous percentage of the GOP still believes that Tr*** won the 2020 election. That at least calls for some education, if not reeducation.
Care to cite your source that an "enormous percentage" of the GOP believe that nonsense? I think it's equally likely that an enormous percentage of the other party believe whatever nonsensical "facts" they are told to believe, such as "an enormous percentage of the GOP think that Trump won the election".
I'm not reddpen but two minutes on Google:

Newsweek two days ago: https://www.newsweek.com/republicans-jo ... ll-1562343

Vox 9 days ago: https://www.vox.com/2021/1/11/22225531/ ... auguration

Gallup in December: https://www.businessinsider.com/majorit ... ll-2020-12

Northeastern.edu in December: https://news.northeastern.edu/2020/12/1 ... m-you-ask/

There have been several other similar surveys, but those should be enough to support the point.

Edited to replace a link that didn't copy first time.
Last edited by CailinGaoilge on Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

It's worth pointing out that Katie Couric on Bill Maher referred to "the cult of Trump," so I think she was referring to the percentage who do believe "that nonsense."
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

This is exactly the kind of bickering that highlights why the next J! host should be apolitical. Santa Vaca...
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:15 pm I'm not reddpen but two minutes on Google:

Northeastern.edu in December: https://www.businessinsider.com/majorit ... ll-2020-12

There have been several other similar surveys, but those should be enough to support the point.
There's also the fact that a majority of Republicans in the House voted not to count the electoral votes of Arizona and Pennsylvania, based on nothing more than conspiracy theories that have been laughed out of court.
cthulhu wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:45 pm This is exactly the kind of bickering that highlights why the next J! host should be apolitical. Santa Vaca...
This is exactly the kind of both-sides-ism that got us where we are now. I don't want Jeopardy! to be neutral on whether Biden legitimately won the election, or there was massive voter fraud. I don't want Jeopardy! to be neutral on whether climate change is real or a hoax. I don't want Jeopardy! to be neutral on whether Covid case statistics are real, or are being exaggerated by doctors to make money. When belief in facts becomes political, to be "apolitical" is to endorse lying.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

A Wray wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:58 pm When belief in facts becomes political, to be "apolitical" is to endorse lying.
Yes. Inasmuch as Jeopardy! has an obligation to be factual, Jeopardy! will necessarily be a "political" show as long as it is a "political" decision to accept or deny reality.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:15 pm
ParrotRob wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:27 pm

I'm not reddpen but two minutes on Google:

Northeastern.edu in December: https://www.businessinsider.com/majorit ... ll-2020-12

These "polls" are complete bullshit. I work in an entire damn building full of Republicans and the only people who seriously believe that are the extremists on the fringe. But like I said, publish it in the media and everyone else will accept it as "fact". Sort of like the "coordinated attack on all 50 state capitols" that happened yesterday :roll: .

The sooner people stop believing the bullshit in the media, the sooner we'll all realize that the divide is not as big as they want you to think it is. Sensationalism sells papers. Or today, garners likes and shares.

"85% of people don't believe what the media tells them"
"How do you know?"
"I read it in the media"
--
Drowning in the pool
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Moving the goal posts. “Do you have a source for that?” - “We can’t trust the sources”. Why ask for a source and then say the media can’t be trusted?

I think if people are willing to be white nationalists that want to overthrow the government I feel like they’re willing to lie about being white nationalists who want to overthrow the government. Obviously the Republican Party is not entirely made up of white nationalists but how can an outside observer tell the difference if they all parrot the same misinformation and follow the same agenda? I’ve tried to be open minded and talk to people who don’t share my views but there has been no way to have any productive conversation for several years. Hopefully we can start talking to each other again soon.

Sorry for the political post.

I’m looking forward to Mayim Bialik’s episodes. I think she’ll do well. I also really like Ken’s work so far.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:36 am Moving the goal posts. “Do you have a source for that?” - “We can’t trust the sources”. Why ask for a source and then say the media can’t be trusted?
Offering a negative evaluation of a cited source does not on its own constitute moving the goal posts. The goal posts were never on the "As long as you cite a source, I'll believe it, whatever it is" yardline. (The alternative is to admit that you're moving the goalposts whenever you scoff at a Hannity or Limbaugh citation.) It might be easier to have the productive conversation you're aiming at if you act as though your interlocutor is behaving in good faith. This isn't a comment on the merits of either political position. I don't intend to enter that discussion. If there is a place for such discussion on JBoard--and mostly I don't think there is--it isn't in this thread. Please take it to Reretaken Down or, preferably, PM or email or the boxing ring.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:36 am Moving the goal posts. “Do you have a source for that?” - “We can’t trust the sources”. Why ask for a source and then say the media can’t be trusted?

I think if people are willing to be white nationalists that want to overthrow the government I feel like they’re willing to lie about being white nationalists who want to overthrow the government. Obviously the Republican Party is not entirely made up of white nationalists but how can an outside observer tell the difference if they all parrot the same misinformation and follow the same agenda? I’ve tried to be open minded and talk to people who don’t share my views but there has been no way to have any productive conversation for several years. Hopefully we can start talking to each other again soon.

Sorry for the political post.

I’m looking forward to Mayim Bialik’s episodes. I think she’ll do well. I also really like Ken’s work so far.
It goes both ways, you know. Saying that people don't believe the media and then citing polls in the media as your argument isn't moving the goalposts. If I asked you whether you thought doctors were generally trustworthy and you said "absolutely, my doctor told me so", that's not very credible.

Look, clearly there are a subset of republicans that are white nationalists. There is also a subset of democrats that are as well. Clearly there is a subset of republicans that want to "overthrow the government". Based on their reaction over the last four years, there is clearly a subset of democrats who believe likewise. The fools are those that believe that only the "other side" has extremists and only the "other side" is dangerous because they don't share your views. Oh yeah, and those that actually believe 87% of the "other side" ARE extremists. That's beyond stupid, that's ridiculous.

I, too, try to be openminded. But even you just said "when they ALL parrot the same misinformation and follow the same agenda..."... that's patently false and you should recognize a hasty generalization as well as anyone else. The problem with democrats is they're all entitled communist hippies. See what I did there? Let's just all back off the generalizations and stick to attacking the real problems. Democrats aren't all entitled hippies, and republicans aren't all white nationalist liars. Of all places, these boards should have a community intelligent enough to realize that.

Back on topic, I hope Mayim Bialik's gameshow hosting talent is better than her new Kat show. My wife has watched it twice now and I can't stand it. It might just be the constant breaking of the fourth wall, but I think there's more to it than that.
--
Drowning in the pool
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

As Opus said, off-topic political posts belong in Reretaken Down. Any further posts here will be moved there or removed.
pamelajaye
Contributor

Post by pamelajaye »

I wonder if you would perhaps pardon someone who hasn't been here in years and didn't read all nine pages of this thread, to ask a question that may have been asked before?

I saw on page one of this thread that Ken did x number of weeks and then they mentioned Mike Richards.

I just realized this is a stupid question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

THE QUESTION IS DOWN HERE

Are they going to run all of Ken's and then follow them with Mike's or are they going to switch back and forth?

To make this question slightly less stupid, has anyone heard whether the winner from last spring will be back, and if so when? I don't even remember where he was from. Hopefully he is still living and breathing and just locked down somewhere.
THIS IS THE END OF THE QUESTION
(I know I'm long-winded)

I've always been very fond of Ken. I'm enjoying his episodes. But I might also like to record a little bit of Mike and I'm using a DVD recorder (which requires a little bit of pre-prep unlike a DVR. I would record *all* of Ken but we get Jeopardy at 7:30 and I'm recording things at 8:00). My listings don't mention who is hosting, and my main source of news has been Facebook because I have way too many hobbies.

Pam from Boston
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

pamelajaye wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:05 pm I wonder if you would perhaps pardon someone who hasn't been here in years and didn't read all nine pages of this thread, to ask a question that may have been asked before?

I saw on page one of this thread that Ken did x number of weeks and then they mentioned Mike Richards.

Are they going to run all of Ken's and then follow them with Mike's or are they going to switch back and forth?

To make this question slightly less stupid, has anyone heard whether the winner from last spring will be back, and if so when? I don't even remember where he was from. Hopefully he is still living and breathing and just locked down somewhere.
(I know I'm long-winded)

I've always been very fond of Ken. I'm enjoying his episodes. But I might also like to record a little bit of Mike and I'm using a DVD recorder (which requires a little bit of pre-prep unlike a DVR. I would record *all* of Ken but we get Jeopardy at 7:30 and I'm recording things at 8:00). My listings don't mention who is hosting, and my main source of news has been Facebook because I have way too many hobbies.

Pam from Boston
Ken for six weeks straight with the 1/22 game completing his second week.

Word on the street is Katie Couric, Mayim Bialik, Aaron Rodgers and Bill Whitaker will each do five games and their charities will get a matching amount for the total won by the contestants that week. Mike Richards will do two weeks. I do not know if the order is set or confirmed yet.

Zach Newkirk is rumored to have returned to play with an unannounced airdate.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Aaron Rodgers is now free to start taping his guest episodes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:57 pm Aaron Rodgers is now free to start taping his guest episodes.
Damn straight!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

AntmanB wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:46 pm Just throwing it out there.... What About Tom Bergeron?

Actually he’s 65, scratch that.
What's with all the age discrimination in this thread? The civil rights laws protect people between 40 and 70 against age discrimination.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:37 pm
pamelajaye wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:05 pm I wonder if you would perhaps pardon someone who hasn't been here in years and didn't read all nine pages of this thread, to ask a question that may have been asked before?

(I know I'm long-winded)

Pam from Boston
Ken for six weeks straight with the 1/22 game completing his second week.

Word on the street is Katie Couric, Mayim Bialik, Aaron Rodgers and Bill Whitaker will each do five games and their charities will get a matching amount for the total won by the contestants that week. Mike Richards will do two weeks. I do not know if the order is set or confirmed yet.

Zach Newkirk is rumored to have returned to play with an unannounced airdate.
I don't know how accurate the archive is in terms of distinguishing between "from" and "originally from" - or how accurate the show is in disclosing such information. I do see that they took contestants "from" Minneapolis, NYC, and Chicago in the post-Trebek era. But in the same breath, there's still "originally from" Atlanta. The last show's archival info has two non-CA contestants as "from" and not "originally from".

OTOH, Zach tomorrow? Rude! Imagine battling your way to become a 4x champ, almost making the ToC, and they plop another 4x champ next to you - which applies to both Zach and Brian. And the player at the third lectern? Yikes!

But they do have to bring back Zach eventually. What if Brian's a superchamp in the making? Put him in now, or he'll have to go up against a 57-day champion. I mean, I suppose the fairest thing to do (while still being practical) would be have Zach come on a Tuesday when Wednesday's last champ was dethroned. (I assume they still tape Tues/Weds). A harder FJ! clue on Friday (with the same wagers) would have given them a great opportunity to sneak Zach in there in the nicest way possible, but I don't think Zach wants to wait for the next triple zero game.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

floridagator wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:36 pm
AntmanB wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:46 pm Just throwing it out there.... What About Tom Bergeron?

Actually he’s 65, scratch that.
What's with all the age discrimination in this thread? The civil rights laws protect people between 40 and 70 against age discrimination.
The issue is a 65 year old isn’t likely to be willing to commit to hosting the show as long as Alex did. Now, the PTB may not want another 37 season run but age is a factor in a job of this magnitude as they don’t want to have to go through this again in 5-10 years.
Lore
Valued Contributor

Post by Lore »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:03 am OTOH, Zach tomorrow? Rude! Imagine battling your way to become a 4x champ, almost making the ToC, and they plop another 4x champ next to you - which applies to both Zach and Brian. And the player at the third lectern? Yikes!
According to the This Week On Jeopardy page, Zach will be back on Thursday, Jan 28.