Wednesday, January 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:47 pm And, folks, please, don't ever, ever, ever call it "beantown" unless you're being sarcastic. We hate that. Probably as much as people in Frisco or Chitown hate hearing those names.
Kansas City folk are fine with KC, so you don't have to worry about that. Often KCMO or KCK to clarify which side of State Line Road.

But as Michael Bluth is quick to say when his son refers to the OC, "Don't call it that."
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:02 pm
talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:47 pm And, folks, please, don't ever, ever, ever call it "beantown" unless you're being sarcastic. We hate that. Probably as much as people in Frisco or Chitown hate hearing those names.
Kansas City folk are fine with KC, so you don't have to worry about that. Often KCMO or KCK to clarify which side of State Line Road.

But as Michael Bluth is quick to say when his son refers to the OC, "Don't call it that."
You mean there's more than one Kansas City? You must be a rocket scientist...some very, very brilliant people probably don't know that. The most brilliant people you've ever seen. :D :D ;)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I gotta say, KJ is killing it. He's loose and he's having fun in a way that doesn't unduly impede the progress of the game.

FJ took a bit of thought but I got there. I started out in Denver but decided it was too far from any other capital. (I was wrong. It's a 100-mile drive to Cheyenne, so my sympathies to anyone who stood pat with that guess.) I then thought about Bismarck and Pierre, which I would've written down rather than leave the slate blank, but that's about it. Then I finally hit the right path with Nevada and fumbled around for a bit for the other city. I have only the haziest idea where Carson City is. But when I thought of Sacramento it seemed so obviously right that I went with those two without a worry.

It's a good thing for poor Hannah that Brian got it right.
davey

Post by davey »

I didn't think Reno was the capital of NV. Worse. I couldn't remember it at all. "Silver City" loomed and pushed out the right name... :oops:

Ken's best moment of his tenure, when Hannah got bogged down in espadrilles - Let's call the whole thing off! Casual but pointed.
I found the triple stumper on McMurphy almost as aging as the Good Times one...
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

My favorite part of the episode:

The rare triple pre-call for the POLY ESTHER category: The Biblical Esther was an easy enough prediction, but gave myself a pat on the back for calling Esther Rolle as Florida Evans and Esther Williams.

Also went 4/5 in ACTORS' FILMOGRAPHIES, which seems to have given some boarders trouble, only blanking on Idris Elba. Didn't need the rebound to know Tom Hardy was the star of Venom :D
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

The contestants didn't know Good Times? Damn, damn, damn!

Made it as far as Captain Marvel on the Brie Larson clue...brain not fast enough to make it all the way.

I'm counting FJ, despite the lightly spoiled nature...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

4/4 on big clues today. I started watching the Crown and there is an episode where the queen insists Buckingham Palace is the seat of the queen. Would have gotten that anyway but it reaffirms my decision to start watching the Crown for Jeopardy reasons just a couple days ago.

I should have gotten Randle McMurphy, pianoforte, Mordecai, and Croesus. I said fortepiano instead. Esther Williams, espadrilles, and memento mori are things I should look up.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm kind of glad Brian got his 7K back for his troll FJ answer on Tuesday.
Without the dates, it still comes down to California and Nevada for precious metals. The 1854 just ices it for Sacramento. But:
jpr281 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:50 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:48 pm I quickly wrote down Sacramento and Reno and put my pen down.
I had those 2 but quickly remembered that Carson City is the capital and changed it in time.
I followed Bamaman here, but not jpr281. Instead of vetting my answer, I was reminiscing about a Cali vacation and driving from Sacramento to Reno - it seemed longer than 100 miles but close enough. I forget all about Carson City unless it comes up as a numismatic situation. Sixth grade was a long time ago.

I'll miss Ken J when he is gone. I like how he backfills some answers with a little more content, but not condescendingly.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:40 pm The contestants didn't know Good Times? Damn, damn, damn!
You've inspired me to see how many copyright laws I can break:
Spoiler
Yeah, I know, Oliver Stone won't be hiring me as a film editor anytime soon.

If anyone lifts it for their YT channel remind me in a week to see how many views it got. And you don't know me. You just found it somewhere on the Internet.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:10 pm I should have gotten Randle McMurphy, pianoforte, Mordecai, and Croesus. I said fortepiano instead.
You can give yourself credit for that. In the 18th century the instrument could be called either "pianoforte" or "fortepiano," and the latter word is now used to refer specifically to early pianos.
I grew up in the Boston area and lived there for 28 years, and this is the first I've ever heard anyone object to that nickname. I'll grant you it's not the preferred nickname for locals -- that would be "the Hub."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:46 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:41 pm ...

FJ: WECIB?
Bamaman above had Reno.
A person on Reddit had Denver & Cheyenne.

There are ways to go wrong with it.
My wife had Sac and Boise (thinking of Idaho being the Gem State).
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:54 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:29 pm ...
The Wall was released in 1979. :geek:
That's nice. When did the song "Another Brick In The Wall" hit No. 1? That's what matters as far as the clue goes for qualifying for '80s HITS.
And--as long as we're being pedantic here--the actual song is "Another Brick in the Wall, Part 2"
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Beantown is a wicked good nickname.

Good Times? When is the last time that was seen in syndication? Even the show it spun off from, Maude, is largely forgotten.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:50 am Beantown is a wicked good nickname.

Good Times? When is the last time that was seen in syndication? Even the show it spun off from, Maude, is largely forgotten.
No argument from me about Maude while I would think Good Times has always been around somewhere.The most recent place I've come across the show is TV One on Saturdays although I don't see it currently on the schedule. Google says Starz has it and I'm sure at least one of the popular streamers must have it.

The show was quite good when John Amos was around.

For the video mashup I posted above I did not have to look online for the clip as I instead went to my DVD set of the series. When I saw episodes during the show's original run I was of the age to just be amused by J.J., or by James getting mad. It was not until syndicated viewing that I grew to appreciate the issues and how they were handled as well as how terrific Esther Rolle was in playing Florida.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:48 pm I gotta say, KJ is killing it. He's loose and he's having fun in a way that doesn't unduly impede the progress of the game.
Agreed. Watching the episodes he's hosting, it feels like I'm watching Jeopardy!... and not the Ken Jennings Show or some other quiz show. He's exceeding my expectations for sure. And I like how his pace is a tick faster than Alex.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

For FJ, I immediately locked in on Carson City but didn't think that Sacremento was within 100 miles...and so I entered orbit around another planet and came up with two answers that were not correct. Enough said about that.

The contestant interviews were the best in a while. Sarah's story was really cool!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

My favorite part of driving from Reno to Sacramento was going by the Donner Pass (technically the pass itself is just off of I-80). Built up an appetite.
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:19 am
floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:50 am Beantown is a wicked good nickname.

No argument from me about Maude while I would think Good Times has always been around somewhere.The most recent place I've come across the show is TV One on Saturdays although I don't see it currently on the schedule. Google says Starz has it and I'm sure at least one of the popular streamers must have it.

The show was quite good when John Amos was around.

For the video mashup I posted above I did not have to look online for the clip as I instead went to my DVD set of the series. When I saw episodes during the show's original run I was of the age to just be amused by J.J., or by James getting mad. It was not until syndicated viewing that I grew to appreciate the issues and how they were handled as well as how terrific Esther Rolle was in playing Florida.
A little over a year ago, ABC did a live re-enactment (for lack of a better term) of a Good Times episode with Viola Davis and Andre Braugher as Florida and James, and SNL alum Jay Pharoah as JJ. John Amos also appeared in the episode as a local politician running for re-election.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:18 am My favorite part of driving from Reno to Sacramento was going by the Donner Pass (technically the pass itself is just off of I-80). Built up an appetite.
My pre-call last night was actually the Donner Party [and if that's their idea of a party...]

Also this is a real thing :o
https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/regio ... ndex.shtml
Agrajag
Contributor

Post by Agrajag »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:20 pm The FJ! category had me all over the place with the brainstorm game:
Four Corners
2 & 3-letter capital cities
Caps not ending in a vowel west of the MS
simple being able to recall all the states quickly in the west
and the always - Don't forget about HI & AK
You meant 2- & 3-word capital cities, right?

Or is there some trivia re: Postal Abbreviations & Capital Cities I don't know about?