Thursday, January 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH WRITERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When Agatha Christie disappeared for 11 days in 1926, this British fellow writer tried to find her with the help of a spiritual medium

Brian Chang: 16300-0=16300 (3x = $50,502)
Robert Ortega Jr.: 1800-223=1577
Stephanie Thompson: 6000+3998=9998

Correct response:
Spoiler
Arthur Conan Dolyle (Brian – Shaw) (Robert – Orwell)

Daily Doubles
Brian: 1000+1000
Brian: 6800+3000
Brian: 11400+100

Coryats
Brian: 16000
Robert: 1800
Stephanie: 6000

Combined: 23,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brian: 2400
Robert: 5400
Stephanie: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice by Brian to mention the archive during chat time.

Brian was 3/3 on DDs, so as he should, he had a runaway. It seemed like the challengers could not quite handle Brian playing a fast & hopping game. It was almost like speed chess on that Netflix show and those keeping score at home will have to be on the ball to keep up to which clue is called.

Four clues left was not surprising due to all the TS clues and that news anchor category in the J! round.

The FJ! category had me try one precall with Dickens and one mental memo to myself not to forget who turned out to be the right guy. Over the years I've missed too many FJ! clues surrounding the author and today I was ready for a quick solve.

Stephanie did not have enough money to get the ultimate prize for a sole solve, but she did get 2nd place even though she risked falling to 2002 which Robert had a chance to surpass with his 1800.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6916

Not that I was close, but you can get a 4th podium win with just 5 of the 14 TS clues.

The CLEVELAND category only used 2 anchors for the five clues.

Chris got the mayor, NBA player and river on fire while Nichole got the institution & heart surgery. It must be a fun honor for the news people to get viewed beyond their local area.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $35,200 (41R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

LT $7600, a bit shy of 4th-podium victory

Yowzers, tough DJ round. Ended up empty-handed in "C"s of diamonds. Almost negged with "cubic" on the $1200 clue, except a cube ALWAYS has 8 faces so that seemed odd. But a diamond lattice is comprised of two interspersed cubic lattices. The TV category was particularly unfriendly too, I only got the $200 clue.

On Final, I was just about to write down Aleister Crowley, who seemed to check all the boxes: British, occult, right time frame. Then my instincts kicked in and I thought of Doyle. Can't tell you why, but I made the switch and it paid off.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

My Brother was Watching with me and got all the princess Clues. He was Pissed when they didn't get to the $400 Clue.

No idea on Final. i am like Really bad at Literature

Lach Trash - Palm Springs
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:10 pm ...

Lach Trash - Palm Springs
After I watched Palm Springs my next visit was to YouTube to hear the ending song again and check on reactions from others.

I added this comment: What a perfect song selection for that point of Hulu's "Palm Springs".

It is one of my proudest YT moments to have my remark at 246 thumbs up and none down. Yeah, I know, my perfect record may take a hit after this bragging post. ;)

For today's clue I needed a second to recall the title of the movie after half a year has gone by.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: 1-Letter Stocks, Popes, Cleveland,
note: there are two visual clues I could not play from the archive.
Daily Doubles: :D :D :( (lizard)
trash: Sprint, girdle, Jamestown, crystal, cane toad, larval,
FJ: WAG :mrgreen:

three TS in Streaming TV. Take the hint, writers! :x
New Brunswick? Seriously? :o
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:17 pm Chris got the mayor, NBA player and river on fire while Nichole got the institution & heart surgery. It must be a fun honor for the news people to get viewed beyond their local area.
It was weird that Nichole introduced herself on the $800 clue and not the $400 clue that was picked later. As they were completely video, I wonder if they would put in the intro clue in whichever was picked first (I thought maybe they edited the intro in, but there was no cut at all).
DBear wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:28 pm New Brunswick? Seriously? :o
Yeah, that one is tricky. Quebec's official language is French.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran 1-Letter Stock Symbols.

Didn't recognize anything in Stream of TV, however.

Kept having feedback loops in Canadian Cities:
1.) Kept looping back to Quebec even after the neg because of the strong French TOM.
2.) "Alberta city that isn't Edmonton" = couldn't budge from Edmonton in time.
3.) "Place on Vancouver Island that isn't called Vancouver" = couldn't unstick Vancouver in time.

NHO Coretta as wife of MLK Jr. to my knowledge.

Precalled axolotl in amphibians since they're one of my favorite animals. Still didn't get the clue since I didn't know the young were called larvae.

"Blah blah blah president painted by Gilbert Stuart" = Washington, right? WRONG. Massive massive massive negbait, and of course I bit on it.

No guess on FJ! Good to know that my chance at only my second ever 5/5 was spoiled today and not tomorrow.

Lach Trash: Sprint, girdle
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

DBear wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:28 pm New Brunswick? Seriously? :o
Poll request:
CANADIAN PLACES $1600: A city in New Jersey has the same name as this province, Canada's only officially bilingual one
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Hard to be a negbait for Washington when it isn’t his picture.

I guessed Lewis Carroll for FJ. Being dead I guess it wouldn’t have been him in 1926.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Quebec, New Jersey? C'mon man. Ok I had an advantage since I was born in NJ but it's not that obscure. Rutgers is in New Brunswick!

This was my best game ever by Coryat. I will take no credit because we got such questions as "here's a picture of LeBron James, one of the most famous people on the planet, who is this?"
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Quite the dominating performance from Brian down the stretch as he simply owned the game. From the point where Brian negged on New Brunswick (clue 8) to the end of the DJ round, he outscored his two opponents $13,500 to -$4400
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:58 pm
I guessed Lewis Carroll for FJ. Being dead I guess it wouldn’t have been him in 1926.
When a medium is involved, you never know.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I dunked on Ken the other day for mispronouncing a rather minor clue, Bemidji. Today he made a serious mispronunciation of err. Alex would have never done that.

The Daily Double about Alberta cities was poorly written. A fairly large number of Alberta cities were established on the Canadian Pacific Railway in the 1880s. The clue needed something to pin it to Calgary. Anyway, Calgary vs Edmonton is not worthy of a $2,000 clue, let alone a daily double.

I expected whoever rang in first on New Brunswick to neg with Quebec. Anyone who knows anything about Quebec's language Wars of the last 50 years knows it isn't bilingual.

I could have gotten those stock symbols just from the letter. What an embarrassing clue spotting a contestant F and mentioning it made the fiesta and the focus. Not to mention 20 other F cars. It might be worth mentioning that Z was formerly the ticker symbol of Woolworth, and then its successor Foot Locker.

It was unkind of Ken to say "Stephanie and Robert will both be joining us for final jeopardy."
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:31 pm ... except a cube ALWAYS has 8 faces so that seemed odd. But a diamond lattice is comprised of two interspersed cubic lattices.
Oh, goody - I got here first!! Don't you hate when you crap out with a double-eight :lol: Just kidding, but I think you mean 8 vertices. Easy mistake to make just typing out words. FWIW, I think you are correct in 4 dimensions so you must be hoarding a tesseract!

I do have an issue with the diamond = crystal clue, but need to do some digging. The finished gemstones certainly are single crystal bodies, but they are cut on cleavage planes and I doubt if many/any are as grown (naturally or otherwise) crystals. A fractured stone doesn't exactly meet my definition as a crystal which I think of as a mineral in it's natural habit. Again, I'm still pondering this so I hope I haven't made anyone dumber.

I thought Brian was in trouble halfway through DJ. He kept clam (eta, misremembered, according to this thread but it did start his charge) on the Brunswick province and that was the tipping point . Today with his zero wager would have been the time for H&R Block, or Tulsa, etc.. For some reason I knew that Doyle was into the occult.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

This is me trying my best to keep myself from posting a long rant, but here I go:

To expect the participants of Jeopardy!, viewers and contestants alike, to be able to come up a majority of the correct responses to the A STREAM OF TV category is a joke. There were 5 clues today about programs on 4 separate streaming services. To imply that the Average Joe or Jane have the time or money to watch these services, compounded by all the other "Company X+" streaming ripoffs shows how out of touch the writers can be some times.

Calling these services "TV" is another diatribe in and of itself that I won't get into here, as it doesn't apply to today's game.

---

A biography I watched on Harry Houdini and his feud with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle made this FJ and instaget for me.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:34 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:31 pm ... except a cube ALWAYS has 8 faces so that seemed odd. But a diamond lattice is comprised of two interspersed cubic lattices.
Oh, goody - I got here first!! Don't you hate when you crap out with a double-eight :lol: Just kidding, but I think you mean 8 vertices. Easy mistake to make just typing out words. FWIW, I think you are correct in 4 dimensions so you must be hoarding a tesseract!

I do have an issue with the diamond = crystal clue, but need to do some digging. The finished gemstones certainly are single crystal bodies, but they are cut on cleavage planes and I doubt if many/any are as grown (naturally or otherwise) crystals. A fractured stone doesn't exactly meet my definition as a crystal which I think of as a mineral in it's natural habit. Again, I'm still pondering this so I hope I haven't made anyone dumber.

I thought Brian was in trouble halfway through DJ. He kept clam on the Brunswick province and that was the tipping point. Today with his zero wager would have been the time for H&R Block, or Tulsa, etc.. For some reason I knew that Doyle was into the occult.
Ah yes, that's what I get for trying to play and post about J! after a long day of work.

That said, a diamond absolutely is a crystal. Its identity as a crystal is based on the molecular structure and not on how it was grown. This I'm sure of and I'll back it up with my Ph.D. in chemistry, although that might not be so convincing after my cube debacle. :lol: