Thursday, January 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Re: Thursday, January 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by cinemaniax7 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:17 pm It's complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6916
Impressive. Most impressive.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:58 pm Hard to be a negbait for Washington when it isn’t his picture.

I guessed Lewis Carroll for FJ. Being dead I guess it wouldn’t have been him in 1926.
My understanding is that Lewis Carroll was one of the guys Conan Doyle consulted, so you were close. :D
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:57 pm To expect the participants of Jeopardy!, viewers and contestants alike, to be able to come up a majority of the correct responses to the A STREAM OF TV category is a joke. There were 5 clues today about programs on 4 separate streaming services. To imply that the Average Joe or Jane have the time or money to watch these services, compounded by all the other "Company X+" streaming ripoffs shows how out of touch the writers can be some times.
You don't have to actually watch things to know about them. The four series and one movie they mentioned have gotten a fair amount of mentions, both on online websites and in actual newspapers.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

As of this episode, my DirecTV DVR has replaced the Alex Trebek poster image with a generic "Jeopardy!" logo.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I want to see more of the ceramics engineer and the Ph.D. in chemistry discussing the structure of a diamond.

I went 2/4 on big clues. Blanked on Calgary for no reason and then guessed Hammett for Final Jeopardy. I've seen the FJ factoid before but I couldn't remember who it was, I went with the first detective author that came to mind and then couldn't think of anybody else. I was hoping to think of somebody more British.

The Wallis Simpson and Edward VIII clue showed up on the Crown. Would have known it anyway but it reaffirms my decision to watch the Crown. Still undecided about buying a violin.

Robert did really well in the first J round and then Stephanie had a good start to DJ and then Brian just took over. Robert was clearly trying to ring in but Brian got in first. Brian was holding his buzzer as recommended in Holznagel's book and Robert was not. We're going to see more and more champs holding the buzzer like that. It looks like it made a big difference in this game.

The clues about streaming TV are ok. I missed several of them but it provides variety and mixes in new pop culture with the traditional academic trivia.

I missed New Brunswick with Quebec. They got me.
Last edited by MattKnowles on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:14 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:34 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:31 pm ... except a cube ALWAYS has 8 faces so that seemed odd. But a diamond lattice is comprised of two interspersed cubic lattices.
Oh, goody - I got here first!! Don't you hate when you crap out with a double-eight :lol: Just kidding, but I think you mean 8 vertices. Easy mistake to make just typing out words. FWIW, I think you are correct in 4 dimensions so you must be hoarding a tesseract!

I do have an issue with the diamond = crystal clue, but need to do some digging. The finished gemstones certainly are single crystal bodies, but they are cut on cleavage planes and I doubt if many/any are as grown (naturally or otherwise) crystals. A fractured stone doesn't exactly meet my definition as a crystal which I think of as a mineral in it's natural habit. Again, I'm still pondering this so I hope I haven't made anyone dumber.
Ah yes, that's what I get for trying to play and post about J! after a long day of work.

That said, a diamond absolutely is a crystal. Its identity as a crystal is based on the molecular structure and not on how it was grown. This I'm sure of and I'll back it up with my Ph.D. in chemistry, although that might not be so convincing after my cube debacle. :lol:
It's not so much a chemistry/morphology issue as maybe a semantic one to me. Is a thin film a crystal? A manufactured jet engine turbine blade? A white sand beach? I somehow want to distinguish between a single-crystalline body, and a single crystal. And don't get me started on phase diagrams :roll: .
Coincidentally, I got a new I-phone 12 this weekend and spilled some salt at supper. Of course I took a picture, that's what we do 8-) . All the little transparent cubes are single crystal cubic NaCl, but I hesitate to call them Halite crystals. It's technically correct, for sure.
On the plus side, I learned/confirmed a tesseract has 8 (analogous) sides, which are each 4-cubes (whatever that is). And 32 vertices.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:57 pm This is me trying my best to keep myself from posting a long rant, but here I go:

To expect the participants of Jeopardy!, viewers and contestants alike, to be able to come up a majority of the correct responses to the A STREAM OF TV category is a joke. There were 5 clues today about programs on 4 separate streaming services. To imply that the Average Joe or Jane have the time or money to watch these services, compounded by all the other "Company X+" streaming ripoffs shows how out of touch the writers can be some times.

Calling these services "TV" is another diatribe in and of itself that I won't get into here, as it doesn't apply to today's game.

---

A biography I watched on Harry Houdini and his feud with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle made this FJ and instaget for me.
I went 3 for 5 in the category. I knew about the Space Force one but couldn't pull the title. That left Tales from the Loop as the only NHOI, even though I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I swear, "Sherlock Holmes" flitted through my brain, but I didn't get enough sleep last night and watched this too late tonight to concentrate enough, and I bombed out with nothing but my precall of Dickens, which I knew was wrong. I'd heard of the story of Agatha Christie missing for days, but probably couldn't give you the author from just the "she went missing" clue...it didn't stick.

Of all the weird things for me to precall, the Cuyahoga river catching on fire? I laughed when it popped up, and "guessed" the EPA correctly - I didn't know it, but it's easy to ferret out.

The Calgary/Edmonton rivalry was an instabuzz from hockey. They get to play more now that there's a Canadian division.
mas3cf wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:31 pm ... except a cube ALWAYS has 8 faces so that seemed odd. But a diamond lattice is comprised of two interspersed cubic lattices.
Oh, goody - I got here first!! Don't you hate when you crap out with a double-eight :lol: Just kidding, but I think you mean 8 vertices. Easy mistake to make just typing out words. FWIW, I think you are correct in 4 dimensions so you must be hoarding a tesseract!
Ooh, sorry. A tesseract has 24 faces. But it does have 8 "cells", which are basically like cubes. To get a tesseract, copy a cube and connect corresponding vertices. You get 6 faces from cube A, 6 faces from cube B, and 12 faces from connecting an edge from cube A to an edge from cube B. That's 6 + 6 + 12 = 24 faces. To find cells, you count all of cube A, all of cube B, and then you can get 6 more cells by connecting a face from cube A to a face of cube B. That's 1 + 1 + 6 = 8 cells/cubes.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 pm I dunked on Ken the other day for mispronouncing a rather minor clue, Bemidji. Today he made a serious mispronunciation of err. Alex would have never done that.

I have never heard a serious mispronunciation of err. I have heard many people say it as Ken did (in Popes 800 in case anyone's wondering....) Merriam-Webster, not alone, lists that pronunciation first.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

trainman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:47 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:57 pm To expect the participants of Jeopardy!, viewers and contestants alike, to be able to come up a majority of the correct responses to the A STREAM OF TV category is a joke. There were 5 clues today about programs on 4 separate streaming services. To imply that the Average Joe or Jane have the time or money to watch these services, compounded by all the other "Company X+" streaming ripoffs shows how out of touch the writers can be some times.
You don't have to actually watch things to know about them. The four series and one movie they mentioned have gotten a fair amount of mentions, both on online websites and in actual newspapers.
Watching J! can sometimes help as well:

#8177, aired 2020-03-10 POET-POURRI $200: Hailee Steinfeld plays this 19th century poet in an Apple TV+ series with lots of 21st century touches

4/5 for me today in only missing Loop as the Chicago hint as well as half the title was still not enough to help me.

I've seen about five minutes of the first ep. of The Handmaid's Tale, but J! clues, award shows, EW, TV Guide, etc. are enough to pick up little things like the "Of" names or the Carell series.

Yes, it can be very difficult to try to keep up with all of the streaming shows and movies, not to mention the services themselves. Of course, nobody can watch everything.

I'll side with trainman about different methods to pick up some of the information. Ignoring it all and taking the zero is another way to approach that type of material.

For BrigadierSolo13: One tip I'll add that I do is to at least a couple of times a month browse my viewing options. Go to whatever service(s) you have and look for things like top 10, fan favorites, top choices, etc. See what's currently hot and try to take in some titles/stars/descriptions.

Watch the Current Events threads on this board and sometimes something there will come up in a clue. It has not happened yet, but I guarantee you The Queen's Gambit & Bridgerton (by Julia Quinn) are coming.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:24 pm I dunked on Ken the other day for mispronouncing a rather minor clue, Bemidji. Today he made a serious mispronunciation of err. Alex would have never done that.
Can you tell me how these two pronunciations differ, or did you err?

edit: reuploaded because the first attempt wasn't behaving properly for me
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:56 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:57 pm This is me trying my best to keep myself from posting a long rant, but here I go:

To expect the participants of Jeopardy!, viewers and contestants alike, to be able to come up a majority of the correct responses to the A STREAM OF TV category is a joke. There were 5 clues today about programs on 4 separate streaming services. To imply that the Average Joe or Jane have the time or money to watch these services, compounded by all the other "Company X+" streaming ripoffs shows how out of touch the writers can be some times.

Calling these services "TV" is another diatribe in and of itself that I won't get into here, as it doesn't apply to today's game.

---

A biography I watched on Harry Houdini and his feud with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle made this FJ and instaget for me.
I went 3 for 5 in the category. I knew about the Space Force one but couldn't pull the title. That left Tales from the Loop as the only NHOI, even though I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber.
I got only the ones the contestants got, but a leaky memory is responsible. In addition to Space Force, I also watched Palm Springs and Tales From the Loop. I watched the first 2 because I read about them. (And I just read something about Andy Samberg that mentioned the movie, but it still didn't come... :roll:) I think TFtL was an algorithm recommendation, which I usually shun...It's deceptively dark and brooding scifi/fantasy - and not completely satisfying. Plus, not a memorable title! Definitely the most obscure in this category.
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:19 pm

Thanks, seaborgium! Evidence is a lovely thing...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:19 pm

The way Ken and Alex both pronounced it is also the first pronunciation given on Merriam-Webster's site:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/err

Not exactly sure why floridagator believes this is incorrect.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I do have an issue with the diamond = crystal clue, but need to do some digging. The finished gemstones certainly are single crystal bodies, but they are cut on cleavage planes and I doubt if many/any are as grown (naturally or otherwise) crystals. A fractured stone doesn't exactly meet my definition as a crystal which I think of as a mineral in it's natural habit. Again, I'm still pondering this so I hope I haven't made anyone dumber.
Actually, diamond is crystalline. It is hexoctahedral. Where you may be getting tripped up is that it rarely shows up as a single crystal the way that quartz does. The key to crystallinity is long-range order, which courtesy of the regularity of the diamond lattice it does (sorry for the verbose response — I just wrote a lecture on this topic last week). Most minerals are crystalline, BTW. The alternatives are being amorphous (i.e., a glass) or that most exotic of beasts a quasi-crystal.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

trainman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:52 pm As of this episode, my DirecTV DVR has replaced the Alex Trebek poster image with a generic "Jeopardy!" logo.

Same Here. i have U-Verse
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:39 am
trainman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:52 pm As of this episode, my DirecTV DVR has replaced the Alex Trebek poster image with a generic "Jeopardy!" logo.

Today I learned that not every board member reads every post of the Reretaken Down thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9&p=346504#p346504 :lol:
MSTieScott
Contributor

Post by MSTieScott »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:32 pm It was weird that Nichole introduced herself on the $800 clue and not the $400 clue that was picked later. As they were completely video, I wonder if they would put in the intro clue in whichever was picked first (I thought maybe they edited the intro in, but there was no cut at all).
I noticed that, too. My assumption is that the anchors recorded each clue both ways -- with the introduction and without -- for just such an eventuality. Whether the show had two videos per clue on hand ready to go or whether they just edited in the appropriate clues afterward, I don't know (although if I had to guess, I'd guess it was corrected in post-production).
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The interesting thing to me about the CLEVELAND category was that the anchors introduced themselves in the first clue they were called, even though they were called out of order. This suggests to me that the anchors either recorded two versions--one introducing themselves and one not--or the introduction got snipped in the editing from the later-called clues.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:57 am
AntmanB wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:39 am

Today I learned that not every board member reads every post of the Reretaken Down thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9&p=346504#p346504 :lol:
Are you kidding? There are several examples in recent hours of not everybody reading every post in the thread they're posting in!... :roll: :lol: