Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Fun with ABC's "The Chase" [Spoilers]

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:25 pm
jeffwolfe wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:01 pm ...
The fact that Ferguson is British is coincidental. He was likeable in his late night show and he was likeable (award-winning, even) in his previous game show.
That should be ABC's new show. Have people come up to Ferguson and tell him to his face, "You're British."

Whichever contestant remains on their feet gets money.
And woe to the poor contestant who slips up and calls him -English-
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

The fact that Ferguson is British is coincidental. He was likeable in his late night show and he was likeable (award-winning, even) in his previous game show.
That should be ABC's new show. Have people come up to Ferguson and tell him to his face, "You're British."

British = English + Scottish + Welsh. Ferguson has no problem with British. I've heard him call himself British. English is another matter. On his talk show, he would quickly and firmly correct anyone who tried to call him English. Of dating English girls when he lived in London, he has said, "I liked doing to them what their ancestors did to my country."
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeffwolfe wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:50 pm

British = English + Scottish + Welsh. Ferguson has no problem with British. I've heard him call himself British. English is another matter. On his talk show, he would quickly and firmly correct anyone who tried to call him English. Of dating English girls when he lived in London, he has said, "I liked doing to them what their ancestors did to my country."
Got it, thanks.
mrfusion
Contributor

Post by mrfusion »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:33 am Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Hey! People shout as Ken missed the BTS question. :P

I wonder if Bruce Lin was watching this? Oprah's car Pontiac G6 comes back to haunt.
This led me to wonder how deeply shows dig into their contestants' quiz histories to avoid repeats. Is it worth weeding out anything too obviously similar to a notable past question, for the sake of avoiding the perception of helping or hindering the player? Or would Standards and Practices insist on a random pool of questions, assigned randomly, and let the chips fall where they may?
It turns out that, in any case, the H-bomb was also developed under Truman
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

alietr wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:29 am I'm glad Kristin got a good haul, but I really didn't like this version. I didn't like the host at all, the kibbitzing from backstage was ridiculous, Ken (God bless 'em) just ain't The Beast for trash talk (The Professor? Say huh?!? And if that's his nickname, I can only imagine what they can come up with for James), and the questions leaned toward too much pop trash. Other than the bigger money, I thought it was inferior to the GSN version in every respect. Unless it's someone I know on there, I can't see putting myself through watching it again, especially not for a full hour.
I'm going to watch no matter what, just because this is my favorite non-J! game show. That being said, I certainly agree that it doesn't measure up to the GSN version.

The biggest disappointment is the glacial tempo of Sara Haines. The best drama on the show is when the Chaser is catching up to the team in the Final Chase. Rapid fire questions amp up that tension. I once saw the Beast answer five questions in about thirteen seconds to catch a team at the very end. In this version, a five-question lead will be pretty much safe once the clock hits 0:30. I know she's not Brooke, but...c'mon. Read a little faster!

Ken is never going to be a villain. That's fine; he and Brad and James are there for star power and to give the audience a familiar face to root for or against. In that respect they all fit the bill just fine. I'm sure James will be able to pull off the mustache-twirling heel character a lot better than the other two.

The backstage commentary is awkward. MST3K worked because there was a script and they could get those snarky lines perfectly timed. Expecting these guys to consistently come up with zingers in the moment is a bit beyond their pay grade.

Lastly, I loved and miss the "edgy" multiple choice questions in the GSN version. There's no chance of that on ABC prime time.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

James certainly takes well to the role of antagonist.
jjwaymee wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:24 pm Lastly, I loved and miss the "edgy" multiple choice questions in the GSN version. There's no chance of that on ABC prime time.
I've come to talk to you about an arsole.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex should have told Sean Connery that on SNL.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

So if the Chaser catches them, do they go home with any money?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AntmanB wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:56 am So if the Chaser catches them, do they go home with any money?
It's all or nothing on The Chase. (Beth posted on Twitter that she had her travel paid for and got $60 per day, and that was all she got out of it.)

Beth said that when the game was over, Sara Haines told them, "You were beaten by the best," and she responded, "Second best," but that got edited out.
mrfusion
Contributor

Post by mrfusion »

I'm just back to register my annoyance with how "gong xi fa cai" was pronounced by Sara Haines in Ep.2

If you spent the effort to learn "x" is the "shhhh" sound, then you can learn that in pinyin "c" represents the "ts" sound
It turns out that, in any case, the H-bomb was also developed under Truman
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Sara Haines's pronunciation of Anosmia was just awful. :?
Douglas Squasoni
davey

Post by davey »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:11 am Sara Haines's pronunciation of Anosmia was just awful. :?
I thought it was kind of pretty. Wrong, not helpful, but it sounded nice...And it didn't seem to faze the player. (For those who didn't watch, pronounced as if it were Italian or Spanish, with accent on the penultimate syllable.)
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

davey wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:12 am
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:11 am Sara Haines's pronunciation of Anosmia was just awful. :?
I thought it was kind of pretty. Wrong, not helpful, but it sounded nice...And it didn't seem to faze the player. (For those who didn't watch, pronounced as if it were Italian or Spanish, with accent on the penultimate syllable.)
As a person with the condition (always had it, not a COVID thing), I definitely noticed this. Though I confess that, when I first encountered the word years ago, I thought it was ah-NOSE-mee-ah rather than an-OZ-mee-ah.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Do we know what Season of Jeopardy Michael was on?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

AntmanB wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:22 am Do we know what Season of Jeopardy Michael was on?
Yes
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:03 am
AntmanB wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:22 am Do we know what Season of Jeopardy Michael was on?
Yes
I would hope so. Here's a clue: He's SwanShadow here.

It's hard to believe I've been watching Michael show trivia chops for 32 years plus.

James could not wait to upstage Michael's J! wins total with his own 36 (32+QF+SF+F+GOAT). James is perfectly placed as a chaser while Ken is a little out of place. Reversing the roles, Ken is doing very well hosting J! while I do not need to see James do it to know it would not work as well.

I have not done any research yet. Has Daniel been on J!? If not, I hope it's not because he did not get the call. He needs a shot at the big leagues.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It was two seconds on Google to find him. Daniel was on J!: http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=8389

Daniel's transcript on Millionaire: https://www.wwtbambored.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54516
yclept

Post by yclept »

Daniel and Michael were both strong players...but Daniel took over during the Chase round. Perhaps it was his youth allowing him to get to the buzzer quicker.

Sara is good but needs to speed it up. I have wondered if ABC wants her to slow it down since so much cash is available to be potentially won in the first round. Of course, would I consider her to be slow if I didn’t have Brooke to compare her to?

James was made for this show. Ken can be sarcastic but it is just hard for him to come off as a true villain. Brad is somewhere in between.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Well, Michael's first question in the Cash Builder was Deja Vu.
Douglas Squasoni
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:22 am Well, Michael's first question in the Cash Builder was Deja Vu.

was it the Motel 6 one? i laughed because we just saw that a a FJ last week.