Thursday, January 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:56 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:14 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:34 pm
mas3cf wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:31 pm ... except a cube ALWAYS has 8 faces so that seemed odd. But a diamond lattice is comprised of two interspersed cubic lattices.
Oh, goody - I got here first!! Don't you hate when you crap out with a double-eight :lol: Just kidding, but I think you mean 8 vertices. Easy mistake to make just typing out words. FWIW, I think you are correct in 4 dimensions so you must be hoarding a tesseract!

I do have an issue with the diamond = crystal clue, but need to do some digging. The finished gemstones certainly are single crystal bodies, but they are cut on cleavage planes and I doubt if many/any are as grown (naturally or otherwise) crystals. A fractured stone doesn't exactly meet my definition as a crystal which I think of as a mineral in it's natural habit. Again, I'm still pondering this so I hope I haven't made anyone dumber.
Ah yes, that's what I get for trying to play and post about J! after a long day of work.

That said, a diamond absolutely is a crystal. Its identity as a crystal is based on the molecular structure and not on how it was grown. This I'm sure of and I'll back it up with my Ph.D. in chemistry, although that might not be so convincing after my cube debacle. :lol:
It's not so much a chemistry/morphology issue as maybe a semantic one to me. Is a thin film a crystal? A manufactured jet engine turbine blade? A white sand beach? I somehow want to distinguish between a single-crystalline body, and a single crystal. And don't get me started on phase diagrams :roll: .
Coincidentally, I got a new I-phone 12 this weekend and spilled some salt at supper. Of course I took a picture, that's what we do 8-) . All the little transparent cubes are single crystal cubic NaCl, but I hesitate to call them Halite crystals. It's technically correct, for sure.
On the plus side, I learned/confirmed a tesseract has 8 (analogous) sides, which are each 4-cubes (whatever that is). And 32 vertices.
To me, the morphology is the only thing that matters: it's about how the atoms are arranged, and nothing more. As long as they are in a crystal lattice, you have a crystal. So those grains of salt are crystals. A thin film can be a crystal, as long as it's not amorphous.

To add to the confusion, I'll point out that "crystal" glassware is amorphous, and therefore not a crystal!
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

I live three miles from New Brunswick, NJ in East Brunswick, and I STILL missed this clue.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

This FJ was a slam dunk for me, which was a nice change of pace.

Brian has been good, but he has also been lucky. That's an important combination. Interested to see how long he can keep it up.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I would not want to go up against Brian in court.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:10 am I would not want to go up against Brian in court.
He said others at his firm are smarter.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:12 pm I've seen about five minutes of the first ep. of The Handmaid's Tale, but J! clues, award shows, EW, TV Guide, etc. are enough to pick up little things like the "Of" names ....
Even this very board!
https://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=295948#p295948
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:00 am
alietr wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:10 am I would not want to go up against Brian in court.
He said others at his firm are smarter.
That was referring to trivia; I meant like on a case.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:12 pm I've seen about five minutes of the first ep. of The Handmaid's Tale, but J! clues, award shows, EW, TV Guide, etc. are enough to pick up little things like the "Of" names
And that's straight from the book which is another way in. Not that I'm recommending the book. Man, I hated that book. But I've gotten a few clues right because of it, including some that were actually about the TV show. It's probably one of the top 10 "science fiction" (please... <sniff> ... it is LITeratoore) books to read for J! purposes. I mean, sure, read Brave New World, Nineteen Eighty-Four, and Fahrenheit 451 first. But definitely get to The Handmaid's Tale before, say, A Canticle for Leibowitz*. Unless you want an actually great novel. In which case, screw Jeopardy! Read Leibowitz.

---------------
* Two hits in the archive, Nan. Two. In 1999 they spotted the contestants Canticle and wanted Leibowitz. TS. In 2008 they spotted the contestants Leibowitz and successfully got Canticle back. For one of the greatest literary sf books and hands down the greatest post-nuclear holocaust book ever.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:07 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:12 pm I've seen about five minutes of the first ep. of The Handmaid's Tale, but J! clues, award shows, EW, TV Guide, etc. are enough to pick up little things like the "Of" names ....
Even this very board!
https://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=295948#p295948
I knew of the "Of" names, saving me from a bagel in the category.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

zakharov wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 pm Quebec, New Jersey? C'mon man. Ok I had an advantage since I was born in NJ but it's not that obscure. Rutgers is in New Brunswick!
OTOH: Quebec is NOT freaking officially bilingual??? Who knew?!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 pm For one of the greatest literary sf books and hands down the greatest post-nuclear holocaust book ever.
How do you feel about Alas, Babylon? I liked that one. I didn’t like The Road but I’m a big McCarthy fan. I don’t think I’ve heard of the one you recommended but I’m always looking for something new to read.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:01 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 pm For one of the greatest literary sf books and hands down the greatest post-nuclear holocaust book ever.
How do you feel about Alas, Babylon? I liked that one. I didn’t like The Road but I’m a big McCarthy fan. I don’t think I’ve heard of the one you recommended but I’m always looking for something new to read.
I didn't care for Alas, Babylon. It seemed kind of cartoonish and airport novel-y to me. I felt the characters were two-dimensional and Frank didn't convince me that he'd thought through the manner and degree to which life would change after a nuclear war. That was the impression I formed when I read it at 18 or 19 anyway. I tried re-reading it recently--within the last 4 years, I think. I didn't get very far.

I thought The Road was well done but probably not something I'll re-read. I do remember a hilarious post I read somewhere on the web 10 or more years ago that did up a portion of a Friends script in McCarthy's minimalist punctuation style. It made even the funny lines seem bleak and depressing and slightly unreal, as though you were overhearing them through fog. The poster was trying to make the point that McCarthy is a mediocre writer with a punctuation gimmick. I don't think he was successful. To me it just showed that McCarthy's punctuation was suited to the kinds of books he writes. It reinforced his themes. But, yeah, I wouldn't want to read a Dave Barry column formatted that way.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 pm In 1999 they spotted the contestants Canticle and wanted Leibowitz. TS. In 2008 they spotted the contestants Leibowitz and successfully got Canticle back. For one of the greatest literary sf books and hands down the greatest post-nuclear holocaust book ever.
I won't argue, Canticle is on my list of favorites. But I'd put it and On the Beach together in the top three in the post-WWIII genre.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:50 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:28 pm New Brunswick? Seriously? :o
Poll request:
CANADIAN PLACES $1600: A city in New Jersey has the same name as this province, Canada's only officially bilingual one
That one really threw me. I had always assumed the entire country was officially bilingual and I wouldn't have thought individual provinces or territories would deviate from that.
Agrajag
Contributor

Post by Agrajag »

$24,600 Coryat with 34 R / 4 W
Runs: None (probably would have run Almost Rhymes with Purple had they revealed the $400)
Bagels: None (though it was close only getting Jamestown in Historic Couples & South America in Amphibians!)
DD: :D :( (said Winnipeg) :( (couldn't pull salamander before Brian answered)
LT: Sprint, Palm Springs, The Hate U Give, girdle, Jamestown
FJ: :?: (guessed Tennyson who had been dead for a few decades...)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

AFRET CMS wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:29 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 pm In 1999 they spotted the contestants Canticle and wanted Leibowitz. TS. In 2008 they spotted the contestants Leibowitz and successfully got Canticle back. For one of the greatest literary sf books and hands down the greatest post-nuclear holocaust book ever.
I won't argue, Canticle is on my list of favorites. But I'd put it and On the Beach together in the top three in the post-WWIII genre.
On the Beach is on my list to read but I haven't gotten to it yet. It's possible that I'll be forced to revise my opinion.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Welp, Brian proved that he isn’t the brightest player around, but he still is going strong. I wouldn’t have came up w/ the answer either.

7/10 (B)

PS: ...so how was Sprint a TS? I have T-Mobile and even I knew that one.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:42 am The interesting thing to me about the CLEVELAND category was that the anchors introduced themselves in the first clue they were called, even though they were called out of order. This suggests to me that the anchors either recorded two versions--one introducing themselves and one not--or the introduction got snipped in the editing from the later-called clues.
That's the other possibility ... as was mentioned above. ;)
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:47 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:50 pm
DBear wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:28 pm New Brunswick? Seriously? :o
Poll request:
CANADIAN PLACES $1600: A city in New Jersey has the same name as this province, Canada's only officially bilingual one
That one really threw me. I had always assumed the entire country was officially bilingual and I wouldn't have thought individual provinces or territories would deviate from that.
This probably explains it best: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_ ... erritories

Canada as a whole has two official languages and all federal services and documents must be provided in both. Access to services in both official languages is not guaranteed everywhere - except New Brunswick. Just try to get services in English in Quebec!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

John Boy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:55 pm
zakharov wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:59 pm Quebec, New Jersey? C'mon man. Ok I had an advantage since I was born in NJ but it's not that obscure. Rutgers is in New Brunswick!
OTOH: Quebec is NOT freaking officially bilingual??? Who knew?!
Probably anyone who's ever been there. The road signs are in French only. They don't allow businesses to have apostrophe s in their name. At one time they were even applying this to McDonald's, but they relaxed that rule so that it only applies to local businesses. So you can't start a restaurant and call it Ferrucci's Pizza. It has to be Pizza Ferrucci.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.