Fourth Podium Poll for 1/21/2021

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these missed clues did you get?

SJ1 $1000 1-LETTER STOCK SYMBOLS: S: Formerly the symbol for Sears, later for this telecom company
73%
SJ12 $1000 SHAPELY SPEECH: Ranging from Myanmar to Laos to Thailand, Southeast Asia's major opium-producing region is called this (Brian: What is triangle?)(Ken: I need more.)(Brian: What is the Opium Triangle?)
37%
SJ15 $1000 A STREAM OF TV: The Apple TV+ show "Dickinson" stars this "True Grit" actress as the title poet
34%
SJ25 $400 A STREAM OF TV: Amazon Prime's "Tales from" here isn't set in Chicago but in an experimental physics lab in Ohio
5%
SJ26 $600 A STREAM OF TV: This 2020 Hulu film riffs on "Groundhog Day", with Andy Samberg & Cristin Milioti repeating the same day
19%
SJ30 $1000 BOOKS FOR YOUNG ADULTS: In this bestseller by Angie Thomas, 16-year-old Starr Carter sees her friend shot dead by a police officer
19%
DJ1 $2000 ALMOST RHYMES WITH PURPLE: Playtex was once a big name in this undergarment that has mostly given way to shapewear
68%
DJ2 $2000 5 MORE "C"s OF DIAMONDS: Giant gem seller De Beers has been called "the most successful" this modern commerce cooperative arrangement (Robert: What is conglomerate?)
34%
DJ8 $1600 CANADIAN PLACES: A city in New Jersey has the same name as this province, Canada's only officially bilingual one (Brian: What is Quebec?)(Stephanie: What is Montreal?)
41%
DJ10 $2000 HISTORIC COUPLES: The 1614 marriage of Pocahontas & John Rolfe assured peace for years between this colony & the Powhatan Indians (Robert: What is Roanoke?)(Stephanie: What is Virginia?)
59%
DJ18 $1200 5 MORE "C"s OF DIAMONDS: A diamond is this type of solid, usually with 8 faces
23%
DJ22 $2000 AMPHIBIANS: This type of toad introduced to control pests on sugar crops has gotten out of control in places like Australia
23%
DJ24 $800 HISTORIC COUPLES: They're the couple seen here, captured in separate portraits by Gilbert Stuart
40%
DJ25 $400 AMPHIBIANS: The axolotl is unusual in retaining features such as external gills from this young stage called a tadpole in other amphibians
29%
FJ BRITISH WRITERS: When Agatha Christie disappeared for 11 days in 1926, this British fellow writer tried to find her with the help of a spiritual medium
68%

Total votes: 73

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 1/21/2021

Post by opusthepenguin »

SCORES BEFORE & AFTER FJ

Brian Chang: 16300-0=16300 (miss)
Robert Ortega Jr.: 1800-223=1577 (miss)
Stephanie Thompson: 6000+3998=9998 (get)

CORRECT RESPONSES
JEOPARDY ROUND

1 $1000 1-LETTER STOCK SYMBOLS: Sprint
12 $1000 SHAPELY SPEECH: The Golden Triangle
15 $1000 A STREAM OF TV: Hailee Steinfeld
25 $400 A STREAM OF TV: The Loop
26 $600 A STREAM OF TV: Palm Springs
30 $1000 BOOKS FOR YOUNG ADULTS: The Hate U Give

DOUBLE JEOPARDY ROUND

1 $2000 ALMOST RHYMES WITH PURPLE: a girdle
2 $2000 5 MORE "C"s OF DIAMONDS: cartel
8 $1600 CANADIAN PLACES: New Brunswick
10 $2000 HISTORIC COUPLES: Jamestown
18 $1200 5 MORE "C"s OF DIAMONDS: a crystal
22 $2000 AMPHIBIANS: cane toad
24 $800 HISTORIC COUPLES: James & Dolley Madison
25 $400 AMPHIBIANS: the larval stage

FINAL JEOPARDY: BRITISH WRITERS

(Sir Arthur Conan) Doyle
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 1/21/2021

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Not the best game for me: only $4000 + FJ
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

6 for me + FJ!, but I bit my kneecaps off (Dan Campbell joke) with negs of Samsung, Quebec and polliwog. :oops:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

SJ: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :|
DJ: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :|
FJ: :mrgreen:

$13000 in lach trash which may be enough for a fourth podium win when coupled with my correct response in final. The problem is, Brian didn't bet anything. So he may have gotten FJ wrong for strategic reasons or simply because he didn't feel like working out the correct response.

I said Sprint for SJ1 but I'm not confident I'd have rung in. Take away that $1k and I've still got enough for a fourth podium win with an asterisk.

I would've responded Quebec on DJ8 but fourth podium rules dictate that Brian got there first. Once that was ruled out, the wheels started spinning and landed me in New Brunswick which I knew was a New Jersey town. I didn't need the contestant misses on Jamestown since that was my response out of the box.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :| :| :| :| :| :( :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

$5200 after the neg on Quebec assuming my math is right + FJ

Girdle, cartel and Palm Springs would have been DD gets, too

'girdle' didn't seem even remotely close enough to 'purple' in the first place so I figured I was missing something (danger of going bottom up there, Brian...)
Cartel I forgot the 'C' bit from the category so that's on me.
Overthought on 'Hulu', but read plenty of reviews describing Palm Springs as a worthy Groundhog Day interpretation
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I had $8,800 of gets and FJ, but unfortunately I had enough negs to put me back down around Robert's score.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

$14,000 + FJ.

Think I might have squeaked one out.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Sprint and girdle for me.

Kept having feedback loops on the Canadian clues.

I probably could have gotten The Hate U Give with a little more time. Oddly I found out about that one in a review of Handbook for Mortals, aka "that book that the NYT pulled off the best-seller list because of sales fraud".

Somehow in my research of axolotls when designing one for my furry universe, I never came across the word "larva".
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :| :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

$10,400
FJ: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Woof on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MDaunt wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:06 am Think I might have squeaked one out.
Blame the dog and hope everyone pretends to buy it.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

$7600 + correct FJ = a possible second-place finish. Not enough to prevent Brain's lock.

Anyone else find "Golden Crescent" to be possible negbait in Shapely Speech $2000? I had to think for a second to sort out which was SW Asia and which was SE.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

7000 as I bit on the Quebec negbait. + FJ
:) :| :| :| :| :|
:) :| :x :) :) :) :| :)
:mrgreen:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:04 pm 7000 as I bit on the Quebec negbait. + FJ
Doesn't matter since Brian eliminated Quebec before you were allowed to ring in. Fourth podium rules stipulate that you lose every buzzer race and only successfully ring in when no one else is trying to. That puts your score up to 8600 or 10200 depending on whether you would have gotten New Brunswick once Quebec was ruled out. Either way, it's enough for a fourth podium win with an asterisk. (The asterisk is there because Brian might have gotten FJ right had he needed to do so. But with a runaway and a $0 wager, he might have just blown it off and started mentally preparing for the next game. He might even have missed it deliberately to deceive future opponents. It's hard to tell what's going on behind that wildly handsome face.)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

12K + FJ.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Saving TPH the typing -- Yes, the "Tales From" question was way, way undervalued at $400. It's polling 6%. I don't know what they were thinking on that one.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

alietr wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:21 am Saving TPH the typing -- Yes, the "Tales From" question was way, way undervalued at $400. It's polling 6%. I don't know what they were thinking on that one.
Sometimes it seems current TV is treated like it was 30 years ago, when there were only a handful of networks and a limited amount of content, so most people were familiar with most shows. That is no longer the case.
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:21 am Saving TPH the typing -- Yes, the "Tales From" question was way, way undervalued at $400. It's polling 6%. I don't know what they were thinking on that one.
Maybe just someone's enthusiasm for the show? (I didn't love it, but I could see a cultlike affinity for it. And there are one or two elements of the storytelling that are haunting.) Curiosity if it would go, especially adding the mnemonic of a Chicago neighborhood? (I think that actually confused me, since this "Loop" is not related and the show does not have an urban sensibility.) And if you value an iffy clue low then not so much money goes to waste if it stumps...
Leander

Post by Leander »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:27 am
Sometimes it seems current TV is treated like it was 30 years ago, when there were only a handful of networks and a limited amount of content, so most people were familiar with most shows. That is no longer the case.
30 years ago, the basic cable landscape was pretty much the way it is today. The difference is the proliferation of streaming platforms in the last couple of years. The problems with asking questions about streaming shows I think are two fold (at least):

How many premium streaming channels are people expected to buy to stay familiar with the range of programming?

More insidious in a way, the algorithms streaming platforms use can bury content from subscribers if it isn’t consistent with shows they normally watch. I have Amazon Prime, but have never heard of Tales From The Loop. I know subscribers to Prime and Netflix who never see the shows I watch, and vice versa. There are really only a handful of shows (mostly on Netflix I think) that have gotten enough media buzz for people to recognize.
davey

Post by davey »

Leander wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:35 am
mas3cf wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:27 am
30 years ago, the basic cable landscape was pretty much the way it is today. The difference is the proliferation of streaming platforms in the last couple of years. The problems with asking questions about streaming shows I think are two fold (at least):

How many premium streaming channels are people expected to buy to stay familiar with the range of programming?

More insidious in a way, the algorithms streaming platforms use can bury content from subscribers if it isn’t consistent with shows they normally watch. I have Amazon Prime, but have never heard of Tales From The Loop. I know subscribers to Prime and Netflix who never see the shows I watch, and vice versa. There are really only a handful of shows (mostly on Netflix I think) that have gotten enough media buzz for people to recognize.
You have to read the arts and entertainment sections of good news sources. I sense that a lot of people aren't interested in doing that and it might not have helped with Tales From the Loop, but it's really the key, not (necessarily) subscribing.
Handmaid's Tale has had buzz for years. I watched Palm Springs and Space Force only because I read about them. Remembering the Coen Bros True Grit well enough would have worked for the $1000 clue.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

davey wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:50 pm
You have to read the arts and entertainment sections of good news sources.
This is a fact. I started a policy of making flashcards whenever I see something on GMA or the Today Show (or whatever) about a new movie, TV show, or song. Sure enough, I'm starting to make progress in those categories where previously I didn't even know where to begin.