Wednesday, January 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 27, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:49 pm Even though the clue played rough on the show I'm still liking over 60% on the weekly poll.
If you say "wild west Montana" I'm going to pavlov "Custer's Last Stand". If you way "wild west South Dakota" I'm going to pavlov "Deadwood/Hickok/Dead Man's Hand". All the rest of the clue is worthless filler.
Exactly correct. Instaget for me. (Plus I knew the General wasn't "Custard.") :roll:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:16 pm

Major carnage for me on the GRAMM "E" category, considering pop music is usually a good topic for me. I got Eagles, and then just stood and stared - I knew Eilish, but couldn't get Ariana Grande out of my head. Rapper with "E"? Too distracted by Easy-E, but didn't buzz. I do -know- Eminem, but I don't think I could have gotten to him for just being a 6 time winner. I'd need something more concrete, like Stan or his former feud with Elton John.
Weird, normally I stink on pop music but I ran that category.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

econgator wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:30 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:35 pm Got Custer though, thanks to Montana. Absolutely should not have missed the Deadwood part of the clue.
I had a nice vacation planned out for last May -- obviously cancelled -- where I was going to start in Rapid City, SD, visit Deadwood and then a couple days later, drive across Montana to get to Yellowstone. On the way, I was planning on stopping at the Little Bighorn battle site. Needless to say, this one came pretty easily.
Looks like you'll be taking I-90 thru Wyoming. See if you can make a side trip by Devil's Tower while you're at it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I don't get how I knew all the state capitals by heart when I was 4, yet three decades later I ALWAYS manage to blank on them no matter how hard I study... I got only $200. Boston just doesn't "feel" like a capital to me.

I couldn't work backwards from Bill & Ted -> Bogus or misbehaving + nothing = naughty. Those were easy in hindsight, though.

"Stow a cargo" = stevedore wasn't happening, so add that to the "only Spanish words Hammer doesn't know" list (although in this case, I didn't know the English word either).

Far less forgivable was me failing to pull an "E" rapper in time.

What was the TOM on Presidents for $200?

0/5 in Occupations, Books by Presidents, and Corsican.

Strangely, Could You? was my only run.

No guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: SimCity
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

Dang! My precall was "aces and eights" so I got Hickock right away. But I do not associate Custer with buckskins at all. For some reason I was certain the second guy had to be some sort of outlaw, and couldn't come up with anything. At the very end I put down (Cole) Younger, just to have two names.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This FJ clue may trip lots of us up. My first picks were Buffalo Bill Cody and Wild Bill Hickok. Wild Bill killed a man in Springfield, MO, in maybe the first actual showdown in the street. I was sure of him, and realized Buffalo Bill was in the circus for a very long time. So I flipped to Daniel Boone/ Davy Crockett and ruled out Davy which left me with Boone and two states I didn't like at all. As a Llama question, I would have figured it out, in FJ! time, no.

Have we seen a zero bet from the leader in a non-lock game for a while? Brian is leading a charmed life.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Got both halves of FJ right. Sitting Bull did not come to mind, but Buffalo Bill was on my radar. Obviously the timelines didn't quite line up there.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:49 pm
Brian was less than stellar in BOOKS BY PRESIDENTS including losing it all on DD1. When the FJ! category was shown I thought to myself that perhaps Brian should wager nothing as I suspected history in the 1800s was lacking for him. If you don't know some basic stuff about presidents or Pavlovs such as Iowa then WILD WEST could be even more troublesome.
As for Brian's wrong half? Damn, dude, you're going to the TOC and have Crockett buying it in either MT or SD? If that is an Alex Jacob mind move you fooled me.
I'm sure you'll discuss this when Brian loses, but with these quotes in mind I'll go out on a limb and guess he will not end up in your ToC gold tier LOL. There are certainly moments where I think Brian is toying with us in terms of strategy, he's excellent with that aspect of the game no doubt... but the TSes do speak for themselves, as you alluded to.

In any event, congrats to him on the win streak, and I am looking forward to tomorrow's game. 100 quatloos on Jill because that's how it usually goes.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:25 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:30 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:35 pm Got Custer though, thanks to Montana. Absolutely should not have missed the Deadwood part of the clue.
I had a nice vacation planned out for last May -- obviously cancelled -- where I was going to start in Rapid City, SD, visit Deadwood and then a couple days later, drive across Montana to get to Yellowstone. On the way, I was planning on stopping at the Little Bighorn battle site. Needless to say, this one came pretty easily.
Looks like you'll be taking I-90 thru Wyoming. See if you can make a side trip by Devil's Tower while you're at it.
It was going to be a bit of a convoluted route. From Rapid City, I would, indeed, go to Devil's Tower, then to Little Big Rock, Pompey's Pillar, and then I would actually dive down into Wyoming and stop at Cody for the evening. The next morning, after seeing the museum in Cody, I'd go in the east entrance to Yellowstone and work my way up to Gardiner, where I was planning to stay.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:35 pm Request "Mixed up Buffalo Bill Cody and Wild Bill Hickock" on the weekly poll. (Shame on me.)
I named them both in my response. It's possible I mixed them up.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:32 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:49 pm Even though the clue played rough on the show I'm still liking over 60% on the weekly poll.
If you say "wild west Montana" I'm going to pavlov "Custer's Last Stand". If you way "wild west South Dakota" I'm going to pavlov "Deadwood/Hickok/Dead Man's Hand". All the rest of the clue is worthless filler.

It's interesting how most contestants know the above information, but when faced with a clue with so many potential misdirects, they fail to properly process the important stuff. In a vacuum it should poll over 90%, but most people don't function in a vacuum.
It's always fun to get Golfsplained.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

DBear wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:41 pm I was sure Brian would lose today as I didn't think they would throw Zach against a superchampion :o
That was my thinking too. I think they should've waited one more day to see if anyone could beat Brian on Thursday. If not, they'd still be bringing Zach in against Brian at his tiredest. That seems fairer that what they did. I have conflicting views about tomorrow's game. I want Zach to win because I don't want him to suffer for the unfairness. But I want Sarah Jett Rayburn to go to the TOC and someone said elsewhere that if Zach wins, that won't happen. If I were a glass-half-full kinda guy, I'd say that means that I'll be happy with either outcome tomorrow.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:20 pm
DBear wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:41 pm I was sure Brian would lose today as I didn't think they would throw Zach against a superchampion :o
That was my thinking too. I think they should've waited one more day to see if anyone could beat Brian on Thursday. If not, they'd still be bringing Zach in against Brian at his tiredest. That seems fairer that what they did. I have conflicting views about tomorrow's game. I want Zach to win because I don't want him to suffer for the unfairness. But I want Sarah Jett Rayburn to go to the TOC and someone said elsewhere that if Zach wins, that won't happen. If I were a glass-half-full kinda guy, I'd say that means that I'll be happy with either outcome tomorrow.
That someone was me. Yes, Brian knocked out VVV, and Sarah is next. If Zach wins, she is out. I loved her, and that would take it down to three females. I really think they should have cut it off before now, maybe to coincide with Alex's last episode. VVV was on a LONG time ago and it took until now for her to get knocked out. That's kind of tragic.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

hansenkd wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:30 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:20 pm
That someone was me. Yes, Brian knocked out VVV, and Sarah is next. If Zach wins, she is out. I loved her, and that would take it down to three females. I really think they should have cut it off before now, maybe to coincide with Alex's last episode. VVV was on a LONG time ago and it took until now for her to get knocked out. That's kind of tragic.
Which one was VVV again? I like the idea of a TOC that cuts off with Alex's last game. Let Brian and potentially Zach wait for the next one.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

VVV=Veronica Vichit Vadakan

If you cut it off with Alex, you get all the 4 time winners in sans Zach. Brian is the first post-Alex qualifier. And VVV is the lowest 4-time champion (again, sans Zach). So no three-timers. That is where they should cut it off. They held Sam Kavanaugh, Ryan Bilger, and others over from the last one, so they could do the same with Brian and Zach. If anyone in Mike Richards's orbit is lurking, is there any way to get their attention on this?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got Custer, my dad got Hickok. He thought Custer was a ridiculous guess because of the buckskin hint, but long hair and a violent end in Montana couldn't have been anyone else in my mind. Unfortunately, buckskin and long hair made me assume the other guy had to be native.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Hickock with no problem. I could have gotten Custer from Montana but it mentioned long flowing hair and I never considered anybody in the military. Missed with Billy the Kid to have something, I tried to think of Buffalo Bill Cody.

35R. 2/4 on big clues. Went with Tiber instead of Arno. I've missed Krishna before. I'll get that one next time.

Here is a short clip that has Dave Chappelle for anybody that needs it:

I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:32 pm In a vacuum it should poll over 90%, but most people don't function in a vacuum.
And if they do, it's either with an EVA suit or not for long.
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:50 pm Here is a short clip that has Dave Chappelle for anybody that needs it:
Spoiler
Along with our next Secretary of State!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

hansenkd wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:41 pm VVV=Veronica Vichit Vadakan

If you cut it off with Alex, you get all the 4 time winners in sans Zach. Brian is the first post-Alex qualifier. And VVV is the lowest 4-time champion (again, sans Zach). So no three-timers. That is where they should cut it off. They held Sam Kavanaugh, Ryan Bilger, and others over from the last one, so they could do the same with Brian and Zach. If anyone in Mike Richards's orbit is lurking, is there any way to get their attention on this?
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to have Alex's last episode be the cutoff for the ToC. I don't know which bucket you put Zach into - I guess it depends on how many 4x you think should make it into the ToC. We've got 5 now. Adding Zach as a 5x winner would make it 4.

Then again, it would be weird to have Zach - if he wins, and continues another game or two - in the next tournament, and have Brian wait for the first *insert new host here*-era tourney.

Who's below VVV? Is it a 3x winner? If so, it's a GREAT place to draw a line - I've never liked using money as a tie-breaker, but if you have to have one, I guess it's what you have to use. A great contestant could dominate the board, but second-place can get a Daily Quadruple at the end of DJ!, get a near-tie situation, and FJ! is a tough 0/3 where both contestants lose money. On the other hand, a decent-but-not-great contestant might go up against some not-so-great opponents, manage to lead 8K to 1K, and risk a bunch on an easy FJ! to get a respectable score.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Apologies to Alex, but "Custard" made me laugh out loud. :lol:

Somehow I totally glossed over Custer. I just went with Cody and Hickok. Yeah, with more time there are plenty of reasons why Cody was clearly wrong, but it seemed reasonable when I thought of it.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I have no problem with Brian making a non-cover bet in this situation, but I see a complete absence of strategy in wagering zero, even if he knows he is weak in the category. IMO He had nothing to lose by wagering 600-999, and would vastly improve his winning chances over a cautious wager by Alex in doing so.

Ran Books By Presidents. Brian not knowing Garfield was assasinated in 1881, plus didn't buzz in on at least two of the other clues in that category, tells me he has a glass jaw.

I nailed Custer right away, then had to make an educated guess between Wild Bill and Buffalo Bill. I seem to always get those two confused, ala TPH.
I managed to pick the correct one for a get on a TS FJ.