The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by jeffwolfe »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:22 pm 2-LETTER LIT $400: The tomboy of Alcott's March sisters, she wants to be a writer

92%+ of J! contestants should be able to do Alcott = Louisa May Alcott

The percentage drops a few points to connect March sisters to Little Women

Recalling the names of the four sisters (someone may not even know how many there are) becomes a lower percentage again.

Doing it all in proper clue timing is a snap for up to 85% of contestants.

Hammer is going to be on the wrong side of such clues one way or another.

For all of the posts in the day's thread: Keep in mind the clue does not give the work. It probably would not have mattered, but it does not help someone fighting to get half the clues or a little more each night.
I got 159 hits on "Little Women" in the database. In scanning the clues, I'd say at least 90% were actually about the novel. And that doesn't include the clues, such as this one, that reference the novel without naming it. Yeah, Jeopardy! likes Alcott.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

All that crap about her being a tomboy who wanted to be a writer was just clutter. If the answer had been “The March sister in Alcott’s novel who fits the category” it isn’t any harder. It probably makes it easier because you don’t get distracted trying to remember who the tomboy writer was.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:45 pm Sul ponticello is an instruction to bow close to this part of the instrument
"pont" = "bridge" is a handy thing to know. Examples of famous bridges include the PONT-Neuf in Paris and the PONTE Vecchio in Florence. In fact, the word "pontiff" means "bridge maker" (builds bridges between humans and God).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mas3cf wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:54 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:45 pm Sul ponticello is an instruction to bow close to this part of the instrument
"pont" = "bridge" is a handy thing to know. Examples of famous bridges include the PONT-Neuf in Paris and the PONTE Vecchio in Florence. In fact, the word "pontiff" means "bridge maker" (builds bridges between humans and God).
"puente" = Spanish cognate
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:44 pm
blah blah blah "sounds like"
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:05 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:44 pm
blah blah blah "sounds like"
You know about how o becomes ue in Spanish words. port -> puerto, force -> fuerza, bon -> bueno, and even within Spanish in conjugations like poder -> puedo, contar -> cuento, recordar -> recuerdo
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:58 pmI couldn't tell you a single thing about Syria, and I don't see how ANYthing about Syria could ever be in the top box.
If you don't want to learn anything about the Syrian Civil War and, more notoriously, the wanton destruction of a number of World Heritage sites, fine. But that's your problem, not the writers'.

Alternatively, 2016 Presidential Election memes...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:33 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:58 pmI couldn't tell you a single thing about Syria, and I don't see how ANYthing about Syria could ever be in the top box.
If you don't want to learn anything about the Syrian Civil War and, more notoriously, the wanton destruction of a number of World Heritage sites, fine. But that's your problem, not the writers'.

Alternatively, 2016 Presidential Election memes...
THAT'S where I knew Aleppo from. I knew I'd heard "Aleppo, Syria" before, but couldn't quite place it.

And, for TPH, basically for me the clue was "Blah blah blah blah, what country is Aleppo in?". It references a recently written book that was reviewed in the NYT this past August. Granted, it's not on the best seller list, so the book itself isn't fair game, but if you skimmed the review to see what it's about, you'd get "Aleppo = Syria".

I'm certainly no history expert, particularly with respect to the Middle East and the Ottoman Empire, but the names of sultans Suleiman and Selim seem to have come up before. But that's not particularly relevant - the key is honing in on the very last word of the clue, which may be easier for a contestant to do when they look at the monitor.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What was the TOM on Presidents for $200?

The book was Christmas in Plains. Jimmy Carter is from Plains, Georgia.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:36 pm What was the TOM on Presidents for $200?

The book was Christmas in Plains. Jimmy Carter is from Plains, Georgia.
Because that's the only thing "plains" could possibly mean, right?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

When referring to presidents it is.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Except for all the presdients born in the Midwest, to whom the word "plains" could easily apply...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:41 pm When referring to presidents it is.
+1 If you see "Plains" it's Carter in a category about presidents.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:43 pm Except for all the presdients born in the Midwest, to whom the word "plains" could easily apply...
Ford and Hoover were in other clues. :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:43 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:41 pm When referring to presidents it is.
+1 If you see "Plains" it's Carter in a category about presidents.
Again, because that is literally the only thing "plains" could ever mean, ever? Plains, Georgia has a population of 776. It's in the middle of nowhere. I don't see how even "a former President was born here" makes it a $200 box.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Someone who was actually on the show didn’t know it so don’t feel too bad.
waterloo_guy
Valued Contributor

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS).

Post by waterloo_guy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:43 pm Except for all the presdients born in the Midwest, to whom the word "plains" could easily apply...
Well, in those cases, the title would likely be “Christmas on the Plains.”
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:25 pm Boston just doesn't "feel" like a capital to me.
Huh?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:21 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:25 pm Boston just doesn't "feel" like a capital to me.
Huh?
State capitals tend to not be in the most prominent city in the state.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:31 pm
mas3cf wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:21 pm
Huh?
State capitals tend to not be in the most prominent city in the state.
I bet Atlanta, Hartford, Providence, Charleston, Indianapolis, Little Rock, Denver, Salt Lake City, Phoenix, and Honolulu would have something to say about that.