Thursday, January 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, January 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, January 28, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1959 article he wrote, "People began to call themselves beatniks, beats…bugniks &…I was called the ‘avatar’ of all this"

Brian Chang: 12600+11001=23601
Zach Newkirk: 23600+1601=25201 (5X = $110,870)
Jill Tucker: 10600+10500=21100

Correct response:
Spoiler
Jack Kerouac

Daily Doubles
Jill: 2000+2000
Zach: 5800+4000
Zach: 15000+5000

Coryats
Brian: 12600
Zach: 17400
Jill: 9400

Combined: 39,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Brian: 7400
Zach: 5000
Jill: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Johnny did announce returning co-champions.

The gentlemen got double busted on the Wells title with the wrong work followed by an incomplete title. That's the kind of things that needs to be cleaned up before the ToC.

Zach... was... in... no... hurry to complete the DJ! round with calling some $400 clues with higher ones remaining. It did not matter as the board was completed and Brian was able to prevent the lock.

The FJ! clue had me write the wrong guy and after that I had a second thought. Looking at both names I went the right way on a Dawson Crossin' and I would have howled if I had 50/50/90ed myself since it went 100% on the show. [Whew!]

Ken said the cutoff for this season's Tournament of Champions had already passed and that Brian would be back for next season's. With Zach returning tomorrow that puts him in the not 2021 ToC as well to already lock in two spots for that one.

Unless other factors come into play the 2021 ToC will be:
Spoiler
JZ
3 8xers
College & Teacher
alternate last time Ryan Bilger
Sam, Paul, Kevin, Brayden
4xers - Ryan Hemmel (104,526), Andy (91,999), Sarah (89,300), Veronica (89,001)

The powers can have a woman in each QF game and Jason would likely play Sarah or Veronica. Brayden won the most of the 5xers so he could be separated from the 8x winners + Jason as well.

It seems like a clean cut with 3xers not making it while 4x and above get it unlike last time with some 4xers outside the cut line.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $47,600 (52R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

NHO distaff, couldn't think of the right Shakespeare quote. Negged with Fergie for Kate Middleton because my brain apparently went back to the 80s for a moment.

Honestly didn't know what to expect in the Zach vs. Brian showdown. Feel bad for the tough draw Jill got. It looks like she held her own.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

TBH I was a little worried about Zach coming back and getting steamrolled by Brian. I should not have been!

I wonder what the game looks like if Brian had uncovered the DJ! Daily Doubles (or if Zach had missed them both).
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

As Expected, a very good Game. Not a Lot of misses. Keeping those DDs away from Brian was Really Big.

"we ve already passed the cutoff for THIS Seasons Tournament of Champions" are we getting the TOC in May? that would be Interesting. also i guess that means Veronica is In. Gonna be an Interesting Tourney whenever it happens.

Im guessing the Cutoff was Trebeks Last show so Lucy Ricketts(3x) is eligible for "Next Seasons Tournament" as well. for now. This also takes away the possible advantage of someone hearing a voice other than alex reading the clues, everyone in the upcoming TOC will only have heard Alex's voice prior to that. (Expect for TOC Holdover Ryan, but his season was like eons ago at this point)

I had no Guess for Final, like i said, i suck at Literature. Ive Heard of Jack Kerouac at Least.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

AntmanB wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:03 pm As Expected, a very good Game. Not a Lot of misses. Keeping those DDs away from Brian was Really Big.

"we ve already passed the cutoff for THIS Seasons Tournament of Champions" are we getting the TOC in May? that would be Interesting. also i guess that means Veronica is In. Gonna be an Interesting Tourney whenever it happens.

Im guessing the Cutoff was Trebeks Last show so Lucy Ricketts(3x) is eligible for "Next Seasons Tournament" as well. for now. This also takes away the possible advantage of someone hearing a voice other than alex reading the clues, everyone in the upcoming TOC will only have heard Alex's voice prior to that.

I had no Guess for Final, like i said, i suck at Literature. Ive Heard of Jack Kerouac at Least.
According to The Jeopardy! Fan, the cutoff was Alex's last show.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:29 pm
According to The Jeopardy! Fan, the cutoff was Alex's last show.
That's what i Figured.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: 5 W's, "Cab", Words & Phrases, The Comics,
Daily Doubles: :D :( (went for a writer) :D
trash: The Invisible Man (ouch for Zach), distaff, Katzenjammer Kids, Copper Canyon
FJ: Got Kerouac. :mrgreen:
Well played, few trash opportunities. Jill definitely held her own. :)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Got all but the last Song Title, and all but "cabana" (I've never seen one of those on a beach), but I didn't get anything else right in J! at all.

Did much better in DJ! by running The Comics, though I was 0/5 in Biographies.

I recognized "beat" right away, but as usual drew a complete blank on the name. I swear Kerouac's name falls out of my head literally every time he's a correct response.

Lach Trash: Where's Waldo?, Katzenjammer Kids, copper
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:46 pm The FJ! clue had me write the wrong guy and after that I had a second thought. Looking at both names I went the right way on a Dawson Crossin' and I would have howled if I had 50/50/90ed myself since it went 100% on the show. [Whew!]
I had Kerouac from the beginning, but I did consider Ginsberg.

Had Jill won the game, would that have been the first time ever that everyone on the stage was a J! Champion?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:46 pm The FJ! clue had me write the wrong guy and after that I had a second thought. Looking at both names I went the right way on a Dawson Crossin' and I would have howled if I had 50/50/90ed myself since it went 100% on the show. [Whew!]

Had Jill won the game, would that have been the first time ever that everyone on the stage was a J! Champion?
I'll take the easy one with the 3-way tie game. If you are including the host then where does the stage manager position himself during games? I was there and have no idea where he lurked during game play.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:37 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:30 pm

I'll take the easy one with the 3-way tie game. If you are including the host then where does the stage manager position himself during games? I was there and have no idea where he lurked during game play.
OK. I'll limit it to "in the camera shot".
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Brian was good and I enjoyed him, but I am a Zach fan.

I have been in the White House pool, though it had long since ceased being used as a pool. It now has a bunch of communications equipment for the press room. And a lot of signatures of former staffers on the tiles.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Kerouac is one of those people the answer writers seem to love so this was an instaget for me.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Last Night at the Viper Room, the biography mentioned in the River Phoenix clue, was written by Season 16 contestant Gavin Edwards.

Also, the persnicketiness behind the Invisible Man/The Invisible Man ruling is completely unnecessary and frankly off-putting. "Wells" was given in the clue, so why would they assume that Zach was referring to a book by a different author?
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

A most satisfying outcome!

These players didn’t get the point of RESPONSES IN THE FORM OF QUESTIONS. Perhaps the guest host could have explained the peculiarity of that category at the start of the round
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

AntmanB wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:03 pm As Expected, a very good Game. Not a Lot of misses. Keeping those DDs away from Brian was Really Big.
And yet Zach kept going back to BIOGRAPHIES after the first DD was revealed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Frida and Trotsky? Who knew! I had no idea so I said Kandinsky