Monday, February 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SCIENCE WORDS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This word used to denote an irreversible dispersion of energy was coined in the 1860s to sound a bit like "energy"

Zach Newkirk: 9700-2301=7399
Allie Sibole: 3400+0=3400
Steve Crupi: 6000+4000=10000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
entropy (Zach – synergy)

Daily Doubles
Steve: 400+400
Zach: 8800-3500
Allie: 7600-5000

Coryats
Zach: 13200
Allie: 8400
Steve: 6200

Combined: 27,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Zach: 6400
Allie: 4800
Steve: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

That's a great way to end your run. Have Ken open up with remarks about your run spanning more time than his. Bye.

Steve was 2/2 on wagering clues. Allie was 1/2 in losing $5K on her miss and gaining $0 on her get. Zach was the worst at 0/2 and negating his buzzer advantage where he could have won on a FJ! clue that stumped the challengers.

Ken added some nice asides in the VIDEO GAMES category when the players were both right or stumped. Ken does it smoothly in not overshadowing the game, but being able to add a dash of host humor.

14 games to go. Has Ken had a "genre", yet? Or Dracula? Or Burns?

Young people. :roll: Allie had a softball teed up on DD3 for not only the famous Clavell work, but another one eliminated. Brian sent Zach copies of both the Wells and Ellison work with a card. Steve should send the Clavell book (and/or miniseries) to Allie.

Ken commented about more than one of the players reacting that they did not like the FJ! category. Me too.

To have something in the area of a sounding a bit like energy, my ears gave me, "inertia" and I probably would have still gone with that with multiple choice and the correct term in front of me.

What is a game's worth of experience worth? We'll find out with Steve back for another try and the possibility of improving on a 6200 Coryat with a superchamp sent off.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It's basically "match the definition to a common physics term" for Final. It's hard for me to say goodbye to Zach, but a lot less hard after a miss on what I consider an easy clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's in: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6927

Good luck with tomorrow's FJ! clue, Robert. For me it seems like each time I make your kind of post that I get taught a lesson the following day.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $36,200 (46R, 2W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen: My chemistry Ph.D. was a little overkill for that one
LT $6400 = eked out the 4th podium victory

Negs: meat for blood (although I'm not 100% sure that would be unacceptable) and Jack Paar for Johnny Carson.

I had my average well over 40k for a while and now I'm struggling to keep it from dropping into the 30s. Having a little trouble pinpointing where I'm slipping. If anything, I'm improving in my biggest weaknesses - TV and movies - so scratching my head a bit. This time, no one category pwned me, just a combination of brainfarts and holes in my knowledge at random places. Maybe I've hit my plateau...
Last edited by mas3cf on Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:19 pm It's in: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6927

Good luck with tomorrow's FJ! clue, Robert. For me it seems like each time I make your kind of post that I get taught a lesson the following day.
Well that would be par for the course for me. I can't remember the last week I didn't score 3/5 on the FJ! poll. At least I'm consistent.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I matched Zach in FJ. I guess after the Greek words category went so well they weren’t looking forward to another round of it.

I was alive for the 1971 Emmy Awards but am too young to have watched it. I still breezed through the category. Glad they throw us old farts a bone after all the categories about streaming shows.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

LOL at kens Preamble about Zach having the Longest Streak in months for a J champion ever and noting that includes himself. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Im kinda Shocked they didnt get Animal crossing. it was like all over the Internet at the start of the Pandemic. But this seemed to be a Tough game in General.

I dont know why i went with Synergy. The sounds like Energy threw me off i guess. I only know the term from of all things, My Little Pony. turns out it has nothing to do with Science.

Lach Trash - Russia, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, The Snow Queen
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: 2 Cities, 20th C, D_M, carpet,
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
trash: Russia, dinkum, Pokemon, John Nash DD, The Snow Queen, Shogun DD, metropolis, tibia, 9600 trash + FJ for the win again. ;)
FJ: I liked the category. entropy :mrgreen:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran A Category of 2 Cities, "D_M", America the Beautiful, and Carpet. Amazing 26/30 in J!, which I think is a personal best in regular play.

So of course, my wheels completely come off in DJ! with 6R 5W: manuscript for autograph, turtle for tortoise, Lyft for Uber, brass for bronze, and femur for tibia. I can't even remember the last time I gained $0 in DJ!

Bunker = All in the Family is a match I know I've had to make many times before, but I just can't make it stick. I keep getting snagged on Archie Bunker's Place and can't untangle in time.

I couldn't process "irreversible dispersion of energy" and ended up with a blank screen. Not even going "science word that sounds like 'energy'" gave me anything. I've heard the word "entropy" but never in a context where I could discern what it meant.

Lach Trash: Russia, dinkum, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, homonym, Cyclops
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:29 pm
So of course, my wheels completely come off in DJ! with 6R 5W: manuscript for autograph, turtle for tortoise, Lyft for Uber, brass for bronze, and femur for tibia. I can't even remember the last time I gained $0 in DJ!

Lach Trash: Russia, dinkum, Pokémon, Animal Crossing, homonym, Cyclops
I'm counting turtle for tortoise. Lyft for Uber is a particularly bad 50/50
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

DBear wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:10 pm I'm counting turtle for tortoise.
Probably safe; I can't find any instances in the Archive of someone being negged on "turtle" when "tortoise" was expected. At most you'd get a BMS, I think.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

DBear wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:10 pm I'm counting turtle for tortoise. Lyft for Uber is a particularly bad 50/50
If there is a 50/50, then I have a 100% chance of getting it wrong.

Just like if I get more than 20 right in J!, I will get fewer than 10 right in DJ!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:46 pm
DBear wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:10 pm I'm counting turtle for tortoise. Lyft for Uber is a particularly bad 50/50
If there is a 50/50, then I have a 100% chance of getting it wrong.

Just like if I get more than 20 right in J!, I will get fewer than 10 right in DJ!
The second one is not a coincidence. J! uses a pretty consistent mix of topics... if one round is heavy in the ones you're strongest in, guess what'll be in the other round?
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

1986 Spring semester as a freshman undergrad for a Humanities class. I was forced to read this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy:_A_New_World_View

It was the single most boring book, I've ever read. Needless to say, FJ was a gimmie. The class wasn't worth it, I'd rather have not known the answer to FJ 35 years later.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Interesting round today with a very low combined Coryat. It didn’t seem like such a poorly-played game but maybe there were more TSs than I recall. Negged hard with synonym for homonym but otherwise these were good boards for me (my 16 yo son ran Video Games, sparing me the ignominy of going 0-for5). FJ was a slam dunk. Time’s arrow, y’all.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Was pulling hard for Allie since she's evidently a crosstown neighbor. She was chugging along pretty strongly until Clavell took the wind out of her sails. Perhaps we'll bump into each other in Old Town and have a chance to compare notes.

Looks like this game could be a candidate for a 4th podium poll. I don't keep detailed track as I watch, but my gut feel is that I -- and a lot of boardies -- might have been competitive for 1st place.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Sherm wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:24 pm 1986 Spring semester as a freshman undergrad for a Humanities class. I was forced to read this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropy:_A_New_World_View

It was the single most boring book, I've ever read. Needless to say, FJ was a gimmie. The class wasn't worth it, I'd rather have not known the answer to FJ 35 years later.
I had a parallel experience with my forced humanities class and my most hated tome was "The Stranger" by Camus.

I thought maybe I'd trade you wastes of time, but from the wiki description this seems a bit new-agey and not my idea of a good science read. For riveting story telling, Isaac Asimov's non-fiction science books are awesome. I still remember much of "The Noble Gases" from high school. I think they were written before he became well known for his Sci-Fi.

This FJ was true to the category, and a slam dunk for me. I thought entropy was more ubiquitous as a cultural meme /buzz word (like Schrödinger's cat, etc..) and would poll higher here and on the show. Eventually it will poll 100% because it always increases :roll: .

I was surprised to see Zack go out with a whimper and not a bang. I'm glad he got his TOC berth.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.