Tuesday, February 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, February 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

Myrlin didn't just have her initials on her sweater, she had her whole first name.

I'd feel worse for Henry on DD3 if he'd actually guessed an island. Still, that was a rough one. I didn't think of Curaçao and went with Cayman for lack of anything better.

Henry went on to make a terrific guess for FJ. W. E. B. Du Bois did rhyme his name with either voice or toys. The internet is failing to settle the question of which for me. If I'd thought of him, I might have stayed there and not remembered the category. Or I might have worried that there was no way Du Bois was a Darmouth grad and why else was the clue mentioning that connection? Turns out Dartmouth graduated its first black student in 1828 so that part wasn't implausible. Anyway, I knew this factoid about Ted Geisel and came up with the correct response fairly quickly.

Steve made the right bet in my opinion. So I'm forgiving him for
minor plot point from early in yesterday's game
his use of the term "true daily double" when he only had $400 and was declining to bet the maximum amount. He did call it "technically a true daily double" but still. A) Don't use the term at all in that situation, and B) Bet the maximum, ya wimp! 8-)
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

It's unfortunate that a Jeopardy clue used a word that's widely seen these days as a slur.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

zakharov wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:06 pm It's unfortunate that a Jeopardy clue used a word that's widely seen these days as a slur.
It's easy to spot the word when looking for it while someone else could make jokes about it being "father", "male", "he", "him" or "men" the way some church hymns or scripture readings are being adapted.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I knew the pronunciation of Theodore Geisel's name, but it just didn't come to me. The category made me think, "A-ha! It's not necessarily a children's author, but someone who happened to write something for children." Nope, I played myself. I came up with nothing, and thought DuBois was a reasonable response because of the weird category name.

I precalled "me" and "we" in the ends-with-E category, and specifically made a note to myself to carefully read the clue for both number and person when responding, and not to dive in head first with any old pronoun. So, the precall game helped me even when the precalls were wrong, because I remembered to look at the third person when the first clue popped up.

I also thought that requiring two responses for a top row astronomy clue was a little...tough. I could only come up with Armstrong in time. I thought the next clue - "Fill in the blank: A_____ galaxy" - was much easier.

Any 90s folks out there who watched TV back when we had to endure commercials will get the pan flute question right if they remembered the endless barrage of Zamfir: Master of the Pan Flute commercials back then. Or is that just me?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:
AntmanB wrote: i dont understand wagering 0 in Final, But it Worked for Steve.
He could only bet $1,799 and avoid being passed from behind. The leader was very likely to bet big given her narrow lead. Even more certain with her being an author. He couldn’t protect against her zero bet without risking second place. He looks like he probably doesn’t have young children currently so he probably isn’t aware of what children’s books are popular right now. So I don’t see anything wrong with a zero bet given his position.
It still would have been funny if Myrlin wagered $2000.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

38R. 3/4 on big clues. I said Sacco and Vanzetti instead of Leopold & Loeb. Oops. I've seen Compulsion but I haven't seen Rope. Sacco and Vanzetti didn't sound right but I got stuck. Their first names were Nicola and Bartolomeo instead of Nathan and Richard. With Rope and Lifeboat both being clues maybe I should go watch some Hitchcock.

I did poorly on the Rhyme Time category. I forgot the category in "A" IS FOR ASTRONOMICAL more than once. Ouch. Did they used to have that category on the left?

Missed Nicaragua with Panama. Missed Hartford Courant with Hartford Current-Times. Learned how to spell Courant. I learned that I've been using the British pronunciation of "re" my whole life. I don't know if I should switch my pronunciation or just fake a British accent and pretend it was intentional for the rest of my life.

The de clue came up 5 clues after the Simone de Beauvoir clue. After the first commercial break though.

Thanks for archiving these so fast every day. It's great to go review them right after the show airs.

I missed the clue about Sam Rockwell but I'll recommend Moon to anybody that hasn't seen it. It's a really interesting movie.

Nice win by Steve. It was a close game.
Robert K S wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:34 pm I legit liked Myrlin's custom monogrammed top. More of us should wear our initials. It used to be a thing, especially for men on their shirt pockets (although usually understated). You don't see it too much anymore.
When I see people wearing Michael Kors I like to forget that it's a designer and think that they're doing it in honor of me.
mas3cf wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:40 pm I did give myself credit for "boxing ring" instead of "fight site" because I felt it fit the clue and category.
Is this forum going to do the rhyme thing again? Maybe we've learned. Maybe we've all grown a little.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:16 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:40 pm I did give myself credit for "boxing ring" instead of "fight site" because I felt it fit the clue and category.
I would not accept that, as the would-be rhyming syllables are stressed differently.
J! once used "marmot" as a correct response in the category RHYME-BOT (as in, all correct responses will rhyme with "bot") in the 2011 ToC, so all bets are off.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Dartmouth Alumni Magazine gave "rejoice" as a rhyme for the correct pronunciation of his name

What's the problem with the DAM? Why didn't they just give "choice" as a rhyme? Or "dinosaur voice diesel" ?

I went with DuBois, but didn't think it would be the W.E.B. guy.

I knew crosscut would be a TS and that Alex would have been let down. NHO a pull cut and I'm pretty handy with the trade skills. There are pull saws for making razor thin kerfs, but they aren't cross-grain by default. It's a generous ruling, which is OK with me.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Anyone else here have Forged in Fire to thank for knowing Damascus?

I wonder if simply saying "King Harold" would have been fine or needed a BMS. I feel like Alex would have said "Which one?", today I'm not sure.

I really like learning interesting facts that aren't necessarily common trivia knowledge, and this game had 2 for me: FJ and the fact that the Normans brought surnames to England.

FJ to me felt like it was a slam dunk if you played pre-call game, and possibly difficult if you went into the clue on the fly. Reading Dartmouth made me immediately jump to Robert Frost, but remembering the category, my pre-call list, and reading the rest of the clue made it pretty straightforward.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That FJ was unfair because rejoice isn't the best exemplar for a rhyme of the true pronunciation of Seuss. Joyce and choice are more comparable and known.

I was so happy to see Harry smashed like a bug. All I could think about was, "this guy doesn't know yellow journalism and thinks Costa Rica is an island, but he's ready with Bayeux Tapestry."
zakharov wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:06 pm It's unfortunate that a Jeopardy clue used a word that's widely seen these days as a slur.
And think about all the people who were microaggressed by the clue "that male"!
Last edited by floridagator on Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:10 am Anyone else here have Forged in Fire to thank for knowing Damascus?
Metallurgy class here.
OCSam
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Yeah, those Steve episodes haven’t been that impressive thanks to some easy misses.

5/10 (C)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:23 pm
He could only bet $1,799 and avoid being passed from behind. The leader was very likely to bet big given her narrow lead. Even more certain with her being an author. He couldn’t protect against her zero bet without risking second place. He looks like he probably doesn’t have young children currently so he probably isn’t aware of what children’s books are popular right now. So I don’t see anything wrong with a zero bet given his position.
Ken gave them a big hint before the commercial break when he told them it was an author that they would have been familiar with growing up. That should not be allowed. I had heard before that the common pronunciation is not the correct one, also something in the back of my mind said he was affiliated with Dartmouth, so I went with Seuss, but I wasn't sure...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What clue was this?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:41 am
What clue was this?
The one about flamenco.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

The “rhyme” given was part of a poem, written by one of Geisel’s college friends; that’s why it specified ‘rejoice.’
The “Dr. Seuss” alias evolved from a pseudonym that Geisel came up with at Dartmouth College, his undergraduate alma mater. Not coincidentally, Seuss was also the maiden name of Geisel's mother, Henrietta. In its traditional pronunciation, Seuss rhymes with voice. But as the author’s fame grew, people started mispronouncing it.

Geisel’s friend, Alexander Liang, responded by writing a poem: “You’re wrong as the deuce / And you shouldn’t rejoice / If you’re calling him Seuss / He pronounces it Soice.”
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/575 ... euss-facts

I thought "Writers for Children" was an odd name for a category, rather than simply "Children's Book Authors" or "Children's Authors."

Got Leopold & Loeb by eliminating Sacco & Vanzetti, who I knew had Italian names. (Not to mention a Joan Baez tribute: "Here's to you, Nicola and Bart / Rest forever here in our hearts")
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:10 am Anyone else here have Forged in Fire to thank for knowing Damascus?
Not sure where I learned Damascus steel, but I got it on the picture alone before Ken even started talking.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Volante wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:11 am
Not sure where I learned Damascus steel, but I got it on the picture alone before Ken even started talking.
I had never heard of that, so to me the question sounded like "how about you randomly guess a Mideast capital" and I wasn't gonna play that.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

zakharov wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:02 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:41 am
What clue was this?
The one about flamenco.
Another FJ! callback: did anybody watch the episode of Derry Girls where they go to the Take That concert in Belfast?