Monday, February 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, February 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:00 pm We can tell you're not a drinking man, TPH, and that's enviable, but it means you're really out of your element on this topic.
I drink; I just don't drink and drive. Why does 80 not seem absolutely astronomical to you?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:01 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:00 pm We can tell you're not a drinking man, TPH, and that's enviable, but it means you're really out of your element on this topic.
I drink; I just don't drink and drive. Why does 80 not seem absolutely astronomical to you?
For the same reasons others have said. I know lots of people drink and drive. With most places considering a .08 BAC impaired that means a couple drinks can potentially put you over the limit and I think a lot of people still consider that "fine to drive." I think the number of drivers on the road who are completely blotto is reasonably low, but I think there are a lot more in that .08-.10 range and most of them don't get pulled over.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Because if it was as uncommon as you're imagining, there wouldn't be multiple major non-profits and state governments working to stop it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

I actually thought texting while driving at first for that clue, but put down my imaginary buzzer when I thought of drunk driving.

Glad I wasn't the only one drawn to Yggdrasil when spotted the letter Y for a sacred tree. Now *that* was some good old fashioned negbait.

I was thinking that hitting the DD on the last clue of the J! round with a nice stack of cash is a good place to be, but then I remembered how little I trust my knowledge of literature, so I would have bet like $600 and felt real silly when it was about one of the two authors I wrote papers about in AP English.

The other book I wrote 8+ pages on? Crime and Punishment.

...I said Moscow anyway.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Newhausen wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:14 pm The other book I wrote 8+ pages on? Crime and Punishment.

...I said Moscow anyway.
:lol: Ouch.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Speeding was my first guess, but when I compare how many times I've seen dangerous driving to how many times I've seen someone pulled over by law enforcement, I don't find the concept so far-fetched. (And then compare the number of traffic stops to the number that result in an arrest...) Plus I'm sure there are plenty of instances where drunk driving doesn't actually look like dangerous driving.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

How many people are arrested--arrested--for speeding in the U.S.? (I mean, solely for speeding, not because they were stopped for speeding but then it turned out they had a warrant, or were toting contraband, etc.) I'd bet it's not triple digits annually. Even in states where speeding is an arrestable offense on the first offense, police generally don't arrest for speeding. The average person probably speeds half a million times before they are arrested for speeding.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Unless you were driving at a really insane rate of speed I can’t imagine a person getting arrested solely for speeding.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

And let's be honest here: most people speed every single time they drive a car, so even if you sort of glossed over the "arrested" part and read it as "pulled over" it couldn't be accurate.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

The other thing to consider with the drunk driving clue is the definition of "drunk". I've heard the phrase "buzzed driving is drunk driving", and according to Dr. Wikipedia, the euphoria buzz can come at a BAC of 0.03%. Of course, it varies based on your tolerance - there exist BAC levels that would kill someone who doesn't drink often, while a chronic alcoholic could be conscious at that same level.

It doesn't seem crazy that MADD gets a figure of 80 times before first arrest. You have to be caught. By the time you get so bad at controlling your drinking and driving that you get caught, you've probably managed to do have quite a few times when you've driven buzzed.

That number would make NO sense for speeding. I can't imagine a cop stopping someone for speeding <5 mph over the limit if all other laws are being obeyed. That's still speeding, and I'm sure people do that all the time - if not daily, then at least weekly. Have you been in a parking lot that's 5 mph, and gone 8 mph?

And getting arrested for speeding? That takes a little more work - if it's just speeding, it's usually a ticket unless you're REALLY getting reckless.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mahatma wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:34 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:57 am A person can be legally drunk and not necessarily act like Otis Campbell.
A person can be perfectly sober and act just like Otis Campbell as well.

I don't find the number surprising at all. The threshold for legal intoxication is pretty low, and many people (especially regular drinkers) would be surprised to find that they can be legally drunk even though they feel fine. Before ridesharing became commonplace, the best solution was to find a friend who didn't mind being the only sober person in a room full of drunk people. I can tell you that's not usually much fun.
I’m just glad TPH didn’t say he had never heard of Otis Campbell.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The woman who read the tech Clues category had a pronounced lisp.
Last edited by floridagator on Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:32 pm The woman who will read the tech Clues category had a pronounced lisp.
What other kind of lisp is there?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:39 pm What other kind of lisp is there?
Google Books Ngram Viewer
"subtle lisp"
error: No valid ngrams to plot!
error: Ngrams not found: "subtle lisp"

But see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_(pro ... _language)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

alan tiger wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:49 am the finale of camille saint-saens's "the carnival of the animals" was used as chapter 5 (flamingos playing with yo-yos) in the re-make "fantasia 2000."
Thanks for posting this.

I remember another thread when people discussed Alan Lin getting Debussy's Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun and your comment about Camille Saint-Saens's The Carnival of the Animals has helped me organize those pieces of trivia. I had them mixed up earlier.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:39 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:32 pm The woman who will read the tech Clues category had a pronounced lisp.
What other kind of lisp is there?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lisp_(pro ... _language)

[And--gee floridagator--thanks for pointing this out :roll: ]
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Knew the novel, didn't know the city, but got to a lucky solve thinking Moscow would be too obvious to be right.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

The sad thing (for me) about this FJ! is that if I had thought of the right novel, I would have gotten the right city :oops:
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

I seem to be the only one whose 50/50/90 led to London based on Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Mental coin toss, but I didn't remember the second murder in C&P, and knew Mr. Hyde attacked at least two people. Turned out Stevenson was 20 years too late, and Hyde's only killing was of a man. Gotta get some more reliable mental coins.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.