OBIT: Brayden Smith

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Re: OBIT: Brayden Smith

Post by harrumph »

This is so sad. Condolences to his family.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Las Vegas station KLAS, which airs Jeopardy, says he died after complications from surgery.
https://www.8newsnow.com/news/local-new ... ies-at-24/
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I just saw this on a news website. Completely shocking and unexpected. Prayers and thoughts go out to his family. He was a great champion.
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

So sad about h I s death. We did not get to see his episodes, we were in the CBS blackout. I did watch one of his episodes on YouTube. Such a shame.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I am so sorry to hear this. May he RIP. And I am sending thoughts and prayers to his loved ones.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

The Jeopardy! home page still hasn't mentioned anything about Brayden's passing.
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:54 am The Jeopardy! home page still hasn't mentioned anything about Brayden's passing.
They have on their Instagram feed, though:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

"Billy Buzz Saw" is a good reason for more post-game chats to be released as it's fun to hear host/contestant exchanges after the contest, although I get only doing it for appropriate times like Bart's remarks and in honor of Brayden.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I don't have access to the Las Vegas newspaper online, but a couple of sites have reported that Brayden's family told a local paper that he passed away in the hospital after complications from surgery:

https://www.today.com/popculture/jeopar ... rt-t208981

I'm not surprised the show didn't address it on Friday - IIRC, even though he passed away on the 5th, the news broke fairly late in the afternoon EST on Friday - far too late to re-cut the episode, since the episodes probably have to be prepped in the morning for the affiliates that air J! first.

It's something the show should address before the ToC IMO, although it makes it harder given that Ken isn't in the studio. Sadly, I imagine Mike Richards would be the logical choice to have to do this again.

It's a tough line to have to talk - quiz shows are sort of the places we go to escape the world. Brayden was a pleasure to watch on J!, and I'll miss seeing him play in the ToC.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I don't recall Larry Martin's death being acknowledged on the show before the ToC, so I'm not sure we should expect the same for Brayden.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:17 pm I'm not surprised the show didn't address it on Friday - IIRC, even though he passed away on the 5th, the news broke fairly late in the afternoon EST on Friday - far too late to re-cut the episode, since the episodes probably have to be prepped in the morning for the affiliates that air J! first.
As far as I know, the completed episodes are actually made available at least two days in advance (this was definitely the case when they were fed via satellite on a regular schedule, but in these modern times, stations download files from a private server). Among other things, the stations have to get them programmed into their automation system so that the local commercials can be properly scheduled and run on time.

I do agree with seaborgium that they're not likely to address it on the air until the ToC.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

trainman wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:26 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:17 pm I'm not surprised the show didn't address it on Friday - IIRC, even though he passed away on the 5th, the news broke fairly late in the afternoon EST on Friday - far too late to re-cut the episode, since the episodes probably have to be prepped in the morning for the affiliates that air J! first.
As far as I know, the completed episodes are actually made available at least two days in advance (this was definitely the case when they were fed via satellite on a regular schedule, but in these modern times, stations download files from a private server). Among other things, the stations have to get them programmed into their automation system so that the local commercials can be properly scheduled and run on time.

I do agree with seaborgium that they're not likely to address it on the air until the ToC.
There used to be a guy who posted here (or maybe the old board) that worked at a TV station that carried Jeopardy. He was able to watch the episodes a few days in advance and would give us a heads up if something really crazy was going to happen. He never spoiled, just said “You don’t want to miss Thursday”.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

RIP Brayden.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:11 am Ugh. It gets worse.

Death of ‘Jeopardy!’ champion blamed on medical malpractice
When I first heard of the nature of his death, I wondered if a malpractice suit wouldn’t be the eventual end. Sad, to be sure.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not that his cause of death is anyone’s business besides his family’s, the cause being kept hush-hush did make me wonder but I wasn’t going to speculate in a public forum. I hope his parents can get answers as to what happened.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:13 pm Not that his cause of death is anyone’s business besides his family’s
Cause of death is public record in most states.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.