Monday, February 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, February 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, February 15, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PLAYWRIGHTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This late writer has had 10 plays on Broadway, most of them set in Pittsburgh like "Jitney", which premiered in 2017

Lance St. Laurent: 10900-4100=6800
Karen Ellestad: 4800+3000=7800
Phil Hoffman: 7100+7095=14195 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
August Wilson (Lance – Who is Sondheim?)

Daily Doubles
Lance: 5600+2500
Phil: 6000-4500
Karen: 2800+800

Coryats
Lance: 9200
Karen: 6000
Phil: 11600

Combined: 26,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lance: 10500
Karen: 2400
Phil: 400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lance had 10500 after the J! round and 10900 for the FJ! round with no DDs in between. Pick a cliche in the area of "the wheels came off" as J! looked very easy in spots for Lance both Friday and today while it all came crashing down by the end.

Tennis knowledge was definitely lacking for the players today as no one was ready for ANYONE FOR TENNIS?

The FJ! clue had me lacking a proper A to B connection for playwright to city. That left me guessing. After ruling out Neil Simon I wrote Shepard to have something. While I'm not sure I've come across the play "Jitney", I know I saw these clues:
Spoiler

#8040, aired 2019-07-19 AFRICAN-AMERICAN AUTHORS $1600: His plays "The Piano Lesson" & "Joe Turner's Come and Gone" are both set in Pittsburgh
#7354, aired 2016-07-28 AFRICAN-AMERICAN LITERATURE $400: August Wilson chronicled the Black experience in his cycle of plays set in the Hill District of this Pennsylvania city
#5288, aired 2007-09-12 AMERICAN PLAYWRIGHTS $1000: Pittsburgh's African American Cultural Center was renamed for this "Piano Lesson" author who was born in Pittsburgh
#4565, aired 2004-06-11 AFRICAN-AMERICAN PLAYWRIGHTS $2000: This playwright of "Fences" & "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom" founded Pittsburgh's Black Horizon Theatre Company
#3739, aired 2000-11-30 HEY MR. WILSON! $1000: Many of his plays, including "Joe Turner's Come & Gone", are set in Pittsburgh, where he was born
For the most recent clue I knew the guy and did not bother to take in the other fact at the end that was important today. Back in the years I was studying to try to get on J! I would use clues I did not know and in addition to the correct responses I would also use things the clue's wording that would be helpful to know as well.

That kind of reverse mining habit has died off in the years after aught five.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $36,000 (43R, 3W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

IMHO, toughest game in a while. I can see why the combined Coryat was on the low side. Lots of neg landmines to step on. Broke my streak of 9 games in a row over $40k. Couldn't come up with a Bill Withers song on the DD. Didn't know that August Wilson was from Pittsburgh, therefore I had no chance on FJ.

Color me unsurprised that the contestants had trouble with the tennis category... sports are generally a weakness of J! contestants, and then when you start digging into the terminology of something that isn't one of the big four, you're going to get some blank stares.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Pittsburgh gave it to me.

Davis Cup was way overvalued in the bottom row.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The more I see of Ken, the more I want him to become the permanent host.

Can't say I've heard "dish" as a verb before. That was my only miss.

I stayed clam on "on the cob" because I made the usual "3 word/3 letter" mixup without realizing that "cob" still would have fit even if it were 3 letters.

Anyone for Tennis? was an instant 0/5 for me. Also 0/5 in "Au" Contraire and Place Like River Hill. I didn't get the theme of the latter category.

1821 for $800 was double negbait. I said New York, and was stunned when both it and Washington were wrong.

Mean Tweeters for $2000 was just begging for all the close-but-no-cigar responses. I was on the trail but couldn't quite get there myself.

Precalled "Lift Every Voice and Sing" in Alternate Anthems. I played it at both of my churches yesterday. I got all but the DD in that category.

I found "Au" Contraire incredibly difficult. Very rare for me to whiff a word category like that. I just don't think of ropes as "taut"; waffled on mauve/taupe (taupe is brown, you idiot); the mime/tiger theming in $1200 confused me; couldn't pull "gaunt"; and by that point, was too fed up to pull "daub".

No guess on FJ! He's apparently come up quite a lot but really, do you expect me to retain a plain-jane name like that?!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

How does "bang" mean "to defeat"?

FJ was not a bit of knowledge I've retained. I WAGged Albee.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

econgator wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:33 pm How does "bang" mean "to defeat"?
I don’t get that either. Can anyone use it in a sentence?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:44 pm
If you use it to mean "defeat", esepcially in the context of two athletes, it's going to get seriously misconstrued.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

2/3 on DD's, I have no idea on New York counties and Jamaica Queens was on my mind from Karen's story, so I went with that.

Saw "Pittsburgh" and was done before the music started.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Also, did anyone else say Hanover for the $2000 clue in 1821? George IV was the 4th British king in the house of Hanover, so I see no reason why it shouldn't be acceptable...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:44 pm
It's as if the judges allowed a technicality of "bang" fitting the "or" part about the drum while ignoring the first part about "to defeat". We know the expectation is the verb like "beat" that fits both parts while leniency seems to have been granted for Lance to get the nod for finding a word that fits the second part only.

I see no way that "bang-bang" in baseball comes into play and it better not have anything to do with gang stuff.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,400
43 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: rally, Maria Sharapova, Davis Cup, Washington Nationals, George (IV), "Lean On Me" (DD), Phoenix

Pittsburgh + playwright = August Wilson is one of those Pavlovs I've picked up in the past year or two, and it paid off today.

It was sooooo painful to watch Karen wave the white flag with her DD3 wager. That timidity potentially cost her the game, as, ceterus paribus, she would have gone into FJ! in second place rather than third.

OTOH, at least our chaplain contestant got the Noah's Ark clue.

Crichton was a pretty easy pre-call for the Michael Wrote DD.

"What kind of candy is Twizzlers?" is not a bottom-row clue.

It feels strange referring to Maria Sharapova as a Russian given that she has lived in the U.S. since age 7.

Credited myself for aubergine rather than mauve for the shade of purple derived from the French. Judges?
Sprinkles are for winners.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:29 pm The more I see of Ken, the more I want him to become the permanent host.

Can't say I've heard "dish" as a verb before. That was my only miss.
Ditto on Ken. I'm worried about the long period of stunt hosts that starts in three weeks. I fear it will lose viewers over the long haul while masking that loss by picking up temporary new viewers who then disappear. That could leave Ken to take the blame for declining ratings if and when they bring him back. I worry that they're treating Jeopardy! like a party favor that can be handed out to a stable of Sony notables to boost their visibility. Jeopardy! is a national treasure and should be curated by someone who views it as such.

As to "dish" meaning "gossip", that seems like the sort of slang that would pop up in a Country song or two. Not my specialty, so I can't offer an example. Outside Country, I know it shows up in "The Lady Is a Tramp" in the line "won't dish the dirt with the rest of the girls".
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:29 pm Mean Tweeters for $2000 was just begging for all the close-but-no-cigar responses. I was on the trail but couldn't quite get there myself.
To be fair, as you note, they did value the clue at $2000, but I agree it was tough to watch two contestants take a bite and miss. That's only fun when they're making silly mistakes rather than understandable ones. Mrs P says she owned the record as a child but still couldn't quite pull the exact 6 words. The clue seems tailor-made to make you buzz in and then say, oh crap.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I didn't know the connection - saw the Denzel version of Fences, but failed to notice it's in Pittsburgh. I'd recognize the name August Wilson, but I'll have to cement it in my head a little bit more. In the irony department: August IS the correct response this time, Augie August! I had absoutely nothing, so I put down Simon, knowing full well he's New York. I mean, his play is literally "Lost in Yonkers", so...

Frustrating board for me, too. Writers are getting crafty, and good for them.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:19 pm Credited myself for aubergine rather than mauve for the shade of purple derived from the French. Judges?
Definitely! Full credit. It's a shade of purple and it entered English from the French. I mean, you can trace it back to before French through Arabic back to Sanskrit. But French was the most recent previous stop so "derived from the French" seems accurate.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

FJ was not a bit of knowledge I've retained. I WAGged Albee.
My sentiments exactly. No way bang should've been accepted. :x
And who the hell is August Wilson? :? Also guessed Albee.
Daily Doubles: y, n (Thank You for Being a Friend), y,
trash: Sharapova, Davis Cup, George, Phoenix
FJ: :(
Last edited by DBear on Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.