Tuesday, February 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHIC NAMESAKES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1857 the former Surveyor-General of India objected to giving his name to this landmark as "the natives could not pronounce" it

Phil Hoffman: 11600+11595=23195 (2x = $37,390)
Joe Satran: 3600-2801=799
Pam Sung: 14200-10000=4200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mount Everest (Joe – What is Bombay?) (Pam – What is Taj Mahal?)

Daily Doubles
Phil: 0+1000
Joe: 5400-5400
Joe: 0+2000

Coryats
Phil: 11000
Joe: 9000
Pam: 14200

Combined: 34,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Phil: 5600
Joe: 5000
Pam: 5400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

No one knew the "Telephone Line" Jeff Lynne group? :( I was disappointed that Ken did not throw out an ad lib as he has done for other stumpers that home viewers would get.

The FJ! category had me try two precalls with Monrovia & Adelaide.

The FJ! clue had me stumped other than I knew not to write Taj Mahal. Only to avoid a blank page I wrote Black Hole of Calcutta.

The correct response was not on my radar and nice that Phil got the best reward possible for his sole solve.

The Jeopardy Fan had Phil winning today at a 26.221% chance based on yesterday's game. It's up to 27.761% for tomorrow. The challengers may be licking their chops?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Wrote Taj Mahal for FJ, knowing full well that would be too easy. Not a fan of that clue - the way it's written, it gets you searching your knowledge base of Indian landmarks and the whole time it's a red herring. Would have preferred if it at least said "South Asian landmark" or something to hint that it wasn't necessarily India. Kudos to Phil for getting it.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:06 pm Wrote Taj Mahal for FJ, knowing full well that would be too easy. Not a fan of that clue - the way it's written, it gets you searching your knowledge base of Indian landmarks and the whole time it's a red herring. Would have preferred if it at least said "South Asian landmark" or something to hint that it wasn't necessarily India. Kudos to Phil for getting it.
I had the opposite reaction. "What's the name of the thing that's named after Everest?"

Edited to add: and it's us who can't pronounce it. Long E at the beginning. EE-vah-rest, not EH-vah-rest.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf

Post by Golf »

Having read multiple books about Everest and the 1996 disaster, this was a layup. Other names associated with the mountain that are trivial fair game include Chomolungma, Sagarmatha, and Peak XV. The latter it’s given western name prior to Everest.

Trying to look at this clue objectively, taking the terms surveyor and landmark indicate a natural formation. A surveyor wouldn’t be interested in the Taj Mahal for example. Even so, you still have to work your way out of present Indian geography.

I think it’s a fair clue, but perhaps more a ToC type FJ.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Archive playthrough:

Coryat $42,800 (50R, 0W)
DD 2/3
FJ :(

NHO tres leches cake. Maybe could have guessed it if I thought about it more. At least going into the clue, I thought to myself "food and drink, $2000 row, bet small." As I mentioned above, got stuck in India on FJ. Three FJ misses in a row, and two in a row with a DD miss, this is getting a bit frustrating!

Comment on Yukon $200: iron is not an ore, it's a metal. The Crest Deposit is primarily hematite and jasper.
Last edited by mas3cf on Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ACW

Post by ACW »

FJ should've been "THIS former Surveyor-General of India objected to giving his name", because otherwise it seems like the former general and the name could be 2 different people.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I didn’t fully think it through and put Taj Mahal. As soon as I wrote it down I knew it was wrong.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I WAGged Everest with near-zero confidence, but I'll take it.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

i hate it when they find the DD on the very first clue, but i also find it funny. The DDs in DJ back to back is a lot more acceptable (See-Roger Craig)

I wrote Down Taj Mahal for final. India threw me i guess.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:29 pm I WAGged Everest with near-zero confidence
Ditto, then, when Ken said the name "would be difficult to write or speak in local languages such as Hindi", I resigned myself to being wrong, thinking, "the people who live around Everest aren't really Hindi speakers, are they?" I don't know whether they are or not, but I thought probably not.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:00 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:29 pm I WAGged Everest with near-zero confidence
Ditto, then, when Ken said the name "would be difficult to write or speak in local languages such as Hindi", I resigned myself to being wrong, thinking, "the people who live around Everest aren't really Hindi speakers, are they?" I don't know whether they are or not, but I thought probably not.
Sharpa and Nepali are the two major languages in that region.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I didn't fall for Taj Mahal - the Hindi name Raj lead me away from it. Also, Mahal is close enough to "Mahatma", giving the "t" sound to complete "Taj" and just leaving an "l", which probably wouldn't too hard for a Hindi speaker to pronounce if they have a mango lassi. I know some of those words might be Punjab, but I did rule out the Taj Mahal.

Unfortunately, after all that, I had nothing, and like a few here, I was stuck in India. The only other major landmark I could come up with in India was the Ganges, and had no idea that it's apparently named after a god, so...oh well.

Is "malamute = transportation as a sled dog" a good Pavlov, or should I have gotten it from the picture? For some reason, I jumped in with St. Bernard, but now looking at the pictures, I see how dead wrong I was.

Apparently, J! is allowing 69 to appear in clues, but not in wagers...nice job, Mike!

J! historians - over both rounds, only 2 clues were played before hitting all the DDs. Has a "perfect game" ever been played where all 3 DDs were revealed first? Or with just one non-DD clue? If we assume total random placement other than no two DDs in the same column (and players hunt in DJ!), a perfect game should happen once every 22,500 shows. If we assume no DDs in the top row and that players hunt, a perfect game should happen once every 11,520 shows. Of course, the time-honored "top-down" tradition would make a perfect game very rare unless you get contestants who buck the tradition.

Phil has a lookalike, and I can't place it. This is gonna bug me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Honestly, I thought the date alone -- the Taj Mahal is from the mid 1600's -- should be enough to exclude it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:49 pm
NHO tres leches cake.
Come to Denver.

runs: Genesis, Lit, Natural Construction, Rockers & Rappers
Daily Doubles: :D :? :D
trash: LA Sparx (rebound), Do not go gentle into that good night, Compromise of 1850, ELO,
FJ: matched Pam with Taj Mahal. :(
got Yukon except the top clue. :x
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:30 pm Honestly, I thought the date alone -- the Taj Mahal is from the mid 1600's -- should be enough to exclude it.
To me, that's what made it plausible. I imagined a scenario where the Brits conquered that region, discovered the building, and tried to figure out what to name it. But then again, the Taj Mahal was my "only because I can't think of anything better" answer.