Tuesday, February 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, February 16, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

As I said in a previous thread, for those who aren't Bible literate, read Genesis. A disproportionate number of J! clues rely on knowledge of that book.

We've had a similar "Do Not Go Gentle into that Good Night" fiasco a little over a year ago, but this instance may be worse, especially since all three players negged. (I kind of wish Ken had broken out the classic AT "no harm, no foul" but with maybe a little irony snuck in.) I thought Phil was going to pull it off when he got past "gentle" without saying "gently" instead. But then he went with "dark knight" instead of "good night", assuming that Dylan Thomas was a Batman fan. This derailed the next two attempts. Joe incorrected "gentle" to "gently", the most common mistake with that poem. (He also didn't phrase his response in the form of a question.) Then he went further incorrect with "the" rather than "that", but retained Phil's mistake of saying "dark" rather than "good". Pam retained Joe's mistake of "gently" and Phil's mistake of "dark" but correctly changed Joe's "the" back to Phil's "that". What a mess!

Two prior examples:

2020-01-08 DJ13 $1600 QUOTING POETS - TS with guesses of Do Not Go GENTLY into THE Good Night, Do Not Go GENTLY into THAT Good Night (one good correction out of two needed), and a clam.

2005-12-01 DJ1 $400 NAME THAT POEM (note the optimistic top row valuation back then) - Jenn took first crack with "Do Not Go Quiet into that Great Night" Vik made some incorrect corrections to get to "Do Not Go Quiet into the Gentle Night". The third contestant clammed.

There's also the game on June 5, 2013 with two clams and a guess of "The Charge of the Light Brigade". I guess that didn't provide enough correct words for the other two contestants to try fixing the problem.

Still, this is a title contestants SHOULD know. They've been put on notice. Get it right next time, someone! If you've got the guts for some gamesmanship, let the other two contestants get it wrong first. :lol:

DD2 was rough. Mrs P guessed "white bears" as Joe did. I guessed "polar bears" just for fun and happened to be right.

DD3 was better for Joe. Mrs P fell for the very tempting dulce de leche cake, which I'm pretty sure can't be ruled correct. I got tres leches, though I worried about that final s for some reason.

Speaking of cake, what was up with negging Epiphany for the King Cake associated celebration that culminates on Fat Tuesday? That was the correct response--more correct than Mardi Gras, which doesn't culminate on Fat Tuesday. It is Fat Tuesday. I can see a case for accepting Mardi Gras, grudgingly. Anyone care to make one for NOT accepting Epiphany? I really expected a reversal there.

For FJ I considered Taj Mahal and Ganges but hated both thoughts. Then I thought of Mount Everest and decided I hated it less. Wrote it down with zero confidence. It was either that or Mount Batten. :lol:

I like Phil but I'm not a fan of rewarding bad wagers, so I was kind of hoping for a different outcome. A miss would have needlessly cost him the game when a smarter wager would have had him still the victor. I think the only proper response on my part is to boycott the show until the first full week of April.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

LOL that Yukon and UConn both came up in the first round.

I actually recognized Joe's name when he was announced. I've read his work. But he just didn't have the trivia chops for Jeopardy.

Altogether I thought that was a difficult Double Jeopardy round.

Mardi Gras is not part of the Epiphany, which is a single day but is the end of the season after epiphany. Kind of like how half the year is the season after Pentecost.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Leander

Post by Leander »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 pm

Phil has a lookalike, and I can't place it. This is gonna bug me.
Try Jason Lee. “My Name Is Earl”
davey

Post by davey »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:47 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:30 pm Honestly, I thought the date alone -- the Taj Mahal is from the mid 1600's -- should be enough to exclude it.
To me, that's what made it plausible. I imagined a scenario where the Brits conquered that region, discovered the building, and tried to figure out what to name it. But then again, the Taj Mahal was my "only because I can't think of anything better" answer.
Wasn't the point of the clue that it was a Western name? Most likely British, since we know who ran India? That said, I couldn't think of anything but Taj Mahal either. I don't like that the correct response is not an Indian geographic feature... :evil:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

davey wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:58 pm
mas3cf wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:47 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:30 pm Honestly, I thought the date alone -- the Taj Mahal is from the mid 1600's -- should be enough to exclude it.
To me, that's what made it plausible. I imagined a scenario where the Brits conquered that region, discovered the building, and tried to figure out what to name it. But then again, the Taj Mahal was my "only because I can't think of anything better" answer.
Wasn't the point of the clue that it was a Western name? Most likely British, since we know who ran India? That said, I couldn't think of anything but Taj Mahal either. I don't like that the correct response is not an Indian geographic feature... :evil:
But that's just it.... "my name is too hard for the locals to say, so we'll just use the local name" is where I thought that was going. It all seemed to fit... until it didn't.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:11 pm

Speaking of cake, what was up with negging Epiphany for the King Cake associated celebration that culminates on Fat Tuesday? That was the correct response--more correct than Mardi Gras, which doesn't culminate on Fat Tuesday. It is Fat Tuesday. I can see a case for accepting Mardi Gras, grudgingly. Anyone care to make one for NOT accepting Epiphany? I really expected a reversal there.
I'm confused. Isn't Epiphany Jan. 6? And Carnival or Mardi Gras starts after it, ending on its namesake day?

I almost feel the "dark night" mistake as a Mandela Effect. I said it too and "good" didn't sound right...I would never make the "gently" mistake though...That's the most memorable thing in the poem!
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Alex Trebek was behind tonight's Alphabet Rockers & Rappers category

JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

Honestly, if you don’t know the specific name of a poem there’s no reason to buzz in. You’re not going to figure it out if you don’t know it.

I thought it was consistent but very strict to not take spark for sparks. but there are sports teams with singular names and those with plural names and them‘s the breaks.

I was very surprised that they accepted La Morte d’Arthur. Morte d’Arthur would have been fine but the 15th century work does not have a grammatically correct French name
Today it would be La Mort d’Arthur. But the work is LE Morte d’Arthur. Too much information and incorrect. I’m surprised they let it pass. It reminded me of when Jim Scott decades ago had to spell out the last name of Paul Klee and sadly said K-L-E - accent aigu-E. There was panache however it was also a lack of correct information. It’s a German name and there is no accent

So I thought they were going to ding the guy and they didn’t
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jpr281 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:26 pm Alex Trebek was behind tonight's Alphabet Rockers & Rappers category

C.C. DeVille of Poison was the J!6 and can't say I'm surprised that Alex did not have him on his paper.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:09 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:11 pm

I'm confused. Isn't Epiphany Jan. 6? And Carnival or Mardi Gras starts after it, ending on its namesake day?
Epiphany, like Christmas, Easter, and Pentecost, is both a day and a season in the Church calendar. Christmas has 12 days followed by Epiphany which continues until the end of Mardi Gras/Shrove Tuesday/etc. Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and continues until Holy Week at the end of which Eastertide begins and goes through Pentecost. Pentecost lasts for 70 zillion weeks until finally you hit the new Church year with Advent leading up to Christmas. For those of you not following the Church calendar, the time leading UP to Christmas Day is "christmastime". For us, that's Advent and "Christmas" doesn't start until Christmas Eve, which is technically the last day of Advent. I think.

Epiphany is properly the celebration of the baptism of Jesus. But the story of the three wise men (kings) became associated with it in the west and at some point we divided the events up into separate Sundays and it all gets confusing. But what's not confusing is that the "king cake" is named that after the three kings because it's being served to close out the season of Epiphany.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

36R. 4/4 on big clues. Guessed on polar bears. Immediately went for Everest but considered Godwin-Austen.

Congrats to Phil. Those daily doubles were found very early.

I was not fast enough on the 'differs by one letter' category.

I missed termites and said ants. This happened earlier. I should stop guessing ants for things that aren't ants.

No confidence from me on 'go gentle into that good night' or 'Le Morte d'Arthur'

How many people can recognize a haddock by sight? That seemed tough.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:58 pm No one knew the "Telephone Line" Jeff Lynne group? :( I was disappointed that Ken did not throw out an ad lib as he has done for other stumpers that home viewers would get.
It wasn't until after that I got the theme of the category. ELO would have been my DD guess, but music bottom row? Me = mollosc
talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 pm Is "malamute = transportation as a sled dog" a good Pavlov, or should I have gotten it from the picture? For some reason, I jumped in with St. Bernard, but now looking at the pictures, I see how dead wrong I was.
For me, it was the picture + "not husky" (cause I was thinking husky right until Ken said 'not husky', at which point I immediately switched to malamute)
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:11 pm.... But then he went with "dark knight" instead of "good night", assuming that Dylan Thomas was a Batman fan. This derailed the next two attempts. Joe incorrected "gentle" to "gently", the most common mistake with that poem. (He also didn't phrase his response in the form of a question.) Then he went further incorrect with "the" rather than "that", but retained Phil's mistake of saying "dark" rather than "good". Pam retained Joe's mistake of "gently" and Phil's mistake of "dark" but correctly changed Joe's "the" back to Phil's "that". What a mess!
And this is why you don't put your Christopher Nolan marathon on shuffle.
JyV92 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:32 pm I was very surprised that they accepted La Morte d’Arthur. Morte d’Arthur would have been fine but the 15th century work does not have a grammatically correct French name
Initial article doesn't matter if there's no other work with that title rule?
Last edited by Volante on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

JyV92 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:32 pm Honestly, if you don’t know the specific name of a poem there’s no reason to buzz in. You’re not going to figure it out if you don’t know it.

I thought it was consistent but very strict to not take spark for sparks. but there are sports teams with singular names and those with plural names and them‘s the breaks.

I was very surprised that they accepted La Morte d’Arthur. Morte d’Arthur would have been fine but the 15th century work does not have a grammatically correct French name
Today it would be La Mort d’Arthur. But the work is LE Morte d’Arthur. Too much information and incorrect. I’m surprised they let it pass. It reminded me of when Jim Scott decades ago had to spell out the last name of Paul Klee and sadly said K-L-E - accent aigu-E. There was panache however it was also a lack of correct information. It’s a German name and there is no accent

But we know that initial articles don't count on J! Even if they did, they're not going to "ding" somebody for narrowly mispronouncing a foreign word.
Last edited by davey on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:56 pm

How many people can recognize a haddock by sight? That seemed tough.
I just went for the first fish I thought of with a double consonant. I figured it wasn't a herring, but otherwise, the picture didn't do much.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Leander wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:53 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 pm Phil has a lookalike, and I can't place it. This is gonna bug me.
I was thinking Thomas Lennon. Didn't think of Jason Lee, but now I can't unsee it.

Another Taj Mahal. Was thinking of manmade landmarks instead of natural ones.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

JyV92 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:32 pm I was very surprised that they accepted La Morte d’Arthur. Morte d’Arthur would have been fine but the 15th century work does not have a grammatically correct French name

Now I'm picturing a late medieval John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson discussing what they call a Mort d'Arthur in England. I knew something seemed off about the response but I didn't take the time to chase it down. Thanks.

I remember Jim Scott getting dinged for added information on Klee. It was the right call but tough to watch. That's one of the earliest moments that formed my resolve not to do any hot dogging on the show.

A later such moment was when a contestant decided to show off by giving the full title to Dr. Strangelove with "or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About the Bomb". (It's "and Love", not "About".) If he'd stopped at Strangelove, he'd have been ruled correct, as he learned from the contestant who picked up the rebound and from Alex who then rubbed it in. This may have been the most embarrassing moment in that contestant's life up to that date. :roll: But at least he went on to win the game.

Then there's the contestant who responded in his best Connery accent, "Who is Bond? James Bond"... and that wasn't the correct response. No extra points lost in that case; but if it had been me, I'd have lost a lot of concentration wondering how red my face was.

From the couch I think of all kinds of funny and show-offy ways to respond. I always remind myself, "Don't try this not at home."
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

The Talking Mime wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:27 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 pm Phil has a lookalike, and I can't place it. This is gonna bug me.
I was thinking Thomas Lennon. Didn't think of Jason Lee, but now I can't unsee it.
My first thought when I saw him was Uncle Max from Calvin and Hobbes.

twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Add another casualty of the Taj Mahal. TIL that I can't name a SINGLE geographic feature of India. Black Hole of Calcutta - nope. Taj Mahal - nope. Ganges, maybe, but not the right response for this clue. As already suggested, the India connection was not useful. At least they didn't name it Mt. McKinley and the namesake has actually seen the feature.
I don't think this will get under the literature clue last week at 19%, but may get under the combined 40% for the two cities of the same country.
Good save by Phil, I wonder what the longest (consecutive) streak for wins from second/third is? I'd think 3 games might be the record.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

One of my favorite games so far this season for one reason: a basketball category! My wife can tell you that I always complain that there's way more clues about football, baseball, and hockey than of my two favorite sports: basketball and soccer.

But wait, there's more! Not only was there a category about one of my favorite sports, but as undoubtedly the biggest Miami Heat fan on these boards(please don't ask me about this season :oops: :oops: :oops:), I was given the gift of a clue about our star player. Hand to heart, there would have been no way I could resist ringing in with "Who is Jimmy Buckets?"

On to FJ, add me to the baffled list. Knew Taj Mahal was way wrong, and was able to escape India's borders, but went with Ayers Rock...
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:21 pm

Phil has a lookalike, and I can't place it. This is gonna bug me.
Bingo - that's it. Thanks, I can sleep now.