Friday, February 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Friday, February 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:06 pm How many people got Samuel Barber?
*raises hand*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Sure, got Samuel Barber...if only it had been the FJ!
I was not in sync with the FJ writers much this week...I'm interested to know if posters were aware of the law change (the kind of thing that would be great slipped into the Current Events thread, even if it got lost among the tombstones.. :roll: ) Or was it just the obviousness??
I obtusely spent the :30 trying to work out the meaning of -bur, not considering until about :31 or :32 that there's really only one country known for gendered last names! (I admit I didn't know it was a law, always assumed it was strong custom...)... :oops:
I probably would have got the clue without the last 4 words!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

davey wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:04 am Sure, got Samuel Barber...if only it had been the FJ!
I was not in sync with the writers much this week...I'm interested to know if posters were aware of the law change (the kind of thing that would be great slipped into the Current Events thread, even if it got lost among the tombstones.. :roll: ) Or was it just the obviousness??
I obtusely spent the :30 trying to work out the meaning of -bur, not considering until about :31 or :32 that there's really only one country known for gendered last names! (I admit I didn't know it was a law, always assumed it was strong custom...)... :oops:
I was surprised that I wasn't specifically aware of that law change. It seems like kind of a big deal that would get written up in the papers, but maybe I just missed it that day. I also knew that Iceland was really hardcore in disallowing names that weren't on a specific list. But I also knew the more relevant son/dottir nomenclature, and I knew which Nordic country it belonged to with a fair bit of certainty - Finnish has lots of double vowels, Swedish names I always associate with -qvists at the end (thanks, NHL), and I have no idea how I'd identify a Norse or Danish name.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

talkingaway wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:13 am I was surprised that I wasn't specifically aware of that law change. It seems like kind of a big deal that would get written up in the papers, but maybe I just missed it that day. I also knew that Iceland was really hardcore in disallowing names that weren't on a specific list. But I also knew the more relevant son/dottir nomenclature, and I knew which Nordic country it belonged to with a fair bit of certainty
Iceland is a small country and the patronymic naming causes some problems in determining one's lineage, as you can imagine. Fortunately there's a genealogical database called Íslendingabók that's pretty comprehensive. According to Wikipedia:
As of February 2020, the database contains information on 904,000 individuals, an estimated half of the total population of Iceland since the settlement of the island in the 9th century. Coverage among Icelanders born in the 20th and 21st centuries is 100% and the database is estimated to contain 95% of individuals born since 1700.
Pretty impressive.

When my wife and I visited Iceland a few years ago we did a Reykjavik city tour and the guide told us it's common for Icelanders to check the database before getting into a serious relationship to ensure they aren't too closely related to the other person. :D
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
it's common for Icelanders to check the database before getting into a serious relationship to ensure they aren't too closely related to the other person. :D
Insert ilhan Omar joke here
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:23 am
talkingaway wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:13 am I was surprised that I wasn't specifically aware of that law change. It seems like kind of a big deal that would get written up in the papers, but maybe I just missed it that day. I also knew that Iceland was really hardcore in disallowing names that weren't on a specific list. But I also knew the more relevant son/dottir nomenclature, and I knew which Nordic country it belonged to with a fair bit of certainty
Iceland is a small country and the patronymic naming causes some problems in determining one's lineage, as you can imagine. Fortunately there's a genealogical database called Íslendingabók that's pretty comprehensive. According to Wikipedia:
As of February 2020, the database contains information on 904,000 individuals, an estimated half of the total population of Iceland since the settlement of the island in the 9th century. Coverage among Icelanders born in the 20th and 21st centuries is 100% and the database is estimated to contain 95% of individuals born since 1700.
Pretty impressive.
There's also an app for that!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/kissin ... -1.1390256
A new smartphone app is on hand to help Icelanders avoid accidental incest. The app lets users "bump" phones, and emits a warning alarm if they are closely related. "Bump the app before you bump in bed," says the catchy slogan.
Interestingly, I just tried finding an article about the genderless name law change and, though it might just be a Google-fu failure, only found cites out of Iceland itself, like https://www.icelandreview.com/news/icel ... -gendered/

But on top of that, the BBC did cover Iceland rejecting the name Lucifer (and later Lusifer) in Jan 2020, and did -not- mention the new surname option:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-f ... e-51263253
One unusual aspect is that Icelanders rarely have real surnames, but instead use the patronymic system, by which children take their father's or sometimes their mother's first name and add "son" or "dottir" (daughter).
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:34 am
This Is Kirk! wrote:
it's common for Icelanders to check the database before getting into a serious relationship to ensure they aren't too closely related to the other person. :D
Insert ilhan Omar joke here
Let's stick to facts and make it about FDR instead.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:36 am There's also an app for that!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/kissin ... -1.1390256
A new smartphone app is on hand to help Icelanders avoid accidental incest. The app lets users "bump" phones, and emits a warning alarm if they are closely related. "Bump the app before you bump in bed," says the catchy slogan.
Now that you mention it I'm pretty sure the tour guide mentioned using the app. Icelanders like to party, so I can imagine the app gets a fair amount of use.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:13 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:14 pm I went to Iceland immediately and then spent the next 30 seconds trying to talk myself into switching to Russia.
Exactly the opposite for me. I immediately thought of Russia and then realized this wouldn't exactly jibe with Putin's worldview. Iceland came pretty quickly after dismissing Russia.
I also started at Russia, but didn't make it quite all the way to Iceland and went with Norway. At least I had the right idea?
yclept

Post by yclept »

I think Mike Richards will do a solid job, given he has game show experience. I have no idea what to expect beyond that, but some hosts will obviously outshine others.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:06 pm How many people got Samuel Barber?
I have an R.E.M. concert CD in which Michael Stipe waggishly introduces "Stand" (one of their more, er, polarizing songs) as ranking "alongside Samuel Barber's 'Adagio' and the theme song from 'Chariots of Fire'." That's the only way I knew it.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:00 pm I still don't get how this FJ! was even remotely gettable.
I am actually with you on this one...well, kind of. It isn't surprising anymore when something I don't know plays easy, but I honestly had no idea on this FJ clue and don't have even the faintest recollection of having heard this fact before.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

There was a clue in the May 1, 2019 game that triggered a good bit of discussion re: Icelandic surnames. That is where I first learned of it.

viewtopic.php?p=307000#p307000 (and subequent posts, and into the TPH education thread)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:23 am There was a clue in the May 1, 2019 game that triggered a good bit of discussion re: Icelandic surnames. That is where I first learned of it.

viewtopic.php?p=307000#p307000 (and subequent posts, and into the TPH education thread)
Thank you for the citation. This is where I first heard of the -dottir / - son paradigm, but I didn't know it was universal in the country. I've mentioned before that there is a lot of my knowledge that I can specifically place when I learned it, going back to childhood, comic books, and apparently, recent J! episodes, although I can't always monetize it :(. I didn't connect the dots and was focused on Ken's pronunciation of -bur, it seemed to be a pseudo-Scottish brogue. I went with Ireland, and if I had been clever enough on stage, I would mangle the second letter and pretend I meant the correct answer. Of course, once I saw the response, I knew it was right.
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:36 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:30 pm Nothing about KJ's last show?
That surprised me a little. I figured we'd at least get a "That's all for me, you'll see Mike Richards on Monday."
This surprised me also. I even played all the way through the credits expecting a parting quip.
I could agree with Ken taking over the show (not likely), but am curious about how a revolving host is going to go. It might draw viewers who are more interested in the host than the brain candy. If they get enough B-list celebrities, maybe I'll do better in pop culture (not likely).

I am O-fer in FJ in Ken's last two weeks, so maybe it's his fault :). Doesn't bode well for my LL88 season starting Monday :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
RoJo
Contributor

Post by RoJo »

In the Piedmont rundle of Learned League, in the MichaelD branch, there are 8 Reykjavikians. My attention was drawn to this by those names with the -dottir suffix.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:47 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:36 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:30 pm Nothing about KJ's last show?
That surprised me a little. I figured we'd at least get a "That's all for me, you'll see Mike Richards on Monday."
This surprised me also. I even played all the way through the credits expecting a parting quip.
I wonder if Ken knew it was going to be his last show when it was taped? They may not have had the other guest hosts on board yet.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another one here surprised Ken didn’t mention he was passing the torch. Not everyone follows social media and has been keeping up with the announcements of the hosts.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:48 pm Wonder how well Constellation did... I got it, but that's because I was on it 3.5 years ago. Not surprised at all it was a TS.
I knew it was another Con..., but forgot what the rest of it was.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:23 am There was a clue in the May 1, 2019 game that triggered a good bit of discussion re: Icelandic surnames. That is where I first learned of it.

I honestly had no idea about Icelandic naming customs until this spirited discussion a few months ago. So thank you, JBoard, for the assist on this one.

Ken impressed me over the past few weeks. I'd love to have him as permanent host, but I'll still be watching these next few weeks with an open mind and a lot of intrigue.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:48 pm If Ken never hosts again at least his last one was a good game. Through 30 games Ken demonstrated he was a more than capable host and I suspect it will become more apparent as the parade of other guest hosts have their time.
For a few seconds during his stint, I found myself thinking, "That looks as easy as when Alex was doing it. I'll bet lots of people could stand up there and do that!"

Then I thought about the kind of performance I would put on, and how long it would take me to get the hook for my stumbling and bumbling. And I realized that one of the things about the really good performers is how they make the hard stuff look so easy. Athletes, musicians, game show hosts too. And no, I couldn't. So all props to KJ, and all props to all who are considered good enough that they get his kind of audition.

Kind of like being on the show. Just getting there takes quite a bit, and very few are good at it.