Friday, February 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, February 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

Johnblue wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:20 pm Good game by Sam. Easiest FJ of the week for me.
How about easiest of the season?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:19 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:48 pm If Ken never hosts again at least his last one was a good game. Through 30 games Ken demonstrated he was a more than capable host and I suspect it will become more apparent as the parade of other guest hosts have their time.
For a few seconds during his stint, I found myself thinking, "That looks as easy as when Alex was doing it. I'll bet lots of people could stand up there and do that!"

Then I thought about the kind of performance I would put on, and how long it would take me to get the hook for my stumbling and bumbling. And I realized that one of the things about the really good performers is how they make the hard stuff look so easy. Athletes, musicians, game show hosts too. And no, I couldn't. So all props to KJ, and all props to all who are considered good enough that they get his kind of audition.

Kind of like being on the show. Just getting there takes quite a bit, and very few are good at it.
If COVID showed us anything, it's that even terrible NFL quarterbacks are better at the position than some random guy.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:06 pm
How many people got Samuel Barber?
I must have confused the clue. For me Barber and Adagio for Strings is insta-Pavlovian, an all-time favorite. But my reading of the clue had it being paired somehow with a composer of madrigals, which seems like hundreds of years earlier. If anyone has the correct wording of the clue, I'd appreciate it.
Volante

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:28 pm
I must have confused the clue. For me Barber and Adagio for Strings is insta-Pavlovian, an all-time favorite. But my reading of the clue had it being paired somehow with a composer of madrigals, which seems like hundreds of years earlier. If anyone has the correct wording of the clue, I'd appreciate it.
The music at his funeral left out his sad "Adagio For Strings" but did use a madrigal by his life partner Gian Carlo Menotti
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Leander

Post by Leander »

Volante wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:35 pm
John Boy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:28 pm
The music at his funeral left out his sad "Adagio For Strings" but did use a madrigal by his life partner Gian Carlo Menotti
Menotti wrote “Amahl and the Night Visitors”, the first opera composed for TV.

I got this off the Adagio part of the clue. I had no idea Barber had any connection to Menotti.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:47 pm
heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:23 am There was a clue in the May 1, 2019 game that triggered a good bit of discussion re: Icelandic surnames. That is where I first learned of it.

viewtopic.php?p=307000#p307000 (and subequent posts, and into the TPH education thread)
Thank you for the citation. This is where I first heard of the -dottir / - son paradigm, but I didn't know it was universal in the country. I've mentioned before that there is a lot of my knowledge that I can specifically place when I learned it, going back to childhood, comic books, and apparently, recent J! episodes, although I can't always monetize it :(. I didn't connect the dots and was focused on Ken's pronunciation of -bur, it seemed to be a pseudo-Scottish brogue. I went with Ireland, and if I had been clever enough on stage, I would mangle the second letter and pretend I meant the correct answer. Of course, once I saw the response, I knew it was right.
Scots and Irish accents are quite different, despite the common--ish Gaelic language. There are male and female versions of some surnames, but prefixes rather suffixes and only where the prefix denotes son/daughter of (like the Icelandic son/dottir) or the descendant of.

Sean MacNeill / Siobhan Nic Neill

Liam O'Donnell / Nuala Ui Donald

Instaget on Iceland; I remember hearing the Icelandic woman PM's name during the ridiculous "can we buy Greenland" farce, and remembered also hearing about the -dur change.

Count me as another who is very sorry to see the end of Ken's hosting. Not entirely keen on the carousel to come, though I'm interested to see how Cooper and Gupta perform. But this household's vote is for Ken as permanent host.
silverpie
Contributor

Post by silverpie »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:05 pm The Icelandic ð is one of my favorite quirky characters - I know it's called "eth", but at some point I want to learn how to pronounce it in a real worð . I wonder if ðuolingo has Icelandic?
Ð/ð is like the “th” in “mother”. The other th sound, the one in “Thor”, ís Icelandic’s other unique letter, Þ/þ (thorn).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:59 pm There are male and female versions of some surnames, but prefixes rather suffixes and only where the prefix denotes son/daughter of (like the Icelandic son/dottir) or the descendant of.

Interesting! I certainly knew about the Mac/O' for the sons, but didn't realize there was one for daughters.
alamble

Post by alamble »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:02 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:36 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:30 pm Nothing about KJ's last show?
That surprised me a little. I figured we'd at least get a "That's all for me, you'll see Mike Richards on Monday."
This surprised me also. I even played all the way through the credits expecting a parting quip.
I wonder if Ken knew it was going to be his last show when it was taped? They may not have had the other guest hosts on board yet.
According to Lauren, it wasn't supposed to be Ken's last day. More than likely, Ken was supposed to have at least two more weeks left on his stint, and IIRC, COVID exposure caused the last-minute switch to Mike Richards hosting for the next taping block.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

alamble wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:34 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:02 pm
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:36 pm
DBear wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:30 pm Nothing about KJ's last show?
That surprised me a little. I figured we'd at least get a "That's all for me, you'll see Mike Richards on Monday."
This surprised me also. I even played all the way through the credits expecting a parting quip.
I wonder if Ken knew it was going to be his last show when it was taped? They may not have had the other guest hosts on board yet.
According to Lauren, it wasn't supposed to be Ken's last day. More than likely, Ken was supposed to have at least two more weeks left on his stint, and IIRC, COVID exposure caused the last-minute switch to Mike Richards hosting for the next taping block.
So far most the boardies seem to think Ken did a bang-up job, and has almost succeeded in a seamless transition. Thinking back to the first 3 days, the chatter was about his voice/timbre, and I thought his delivery and pacing was forced. I don't have an early episode and can't really do a fair test, but I wonder if he has changed, or we have? Either way, he can have the gig as far as I'm concerned, but I am still intrigued by the upside of having multiple temporary hosts.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:05 pm So far most the boardies seem to think Ken did a bang-up job, and has almost succeeded in a seamless transition. Thinking back to the first 3 days, the chatter was about his voice/timbre, and I thought his delivery and pacing was forced. I don't have an early episode and can't really do a fair test, but I wonder if he has changed, or we have? Either way, he can have the gig as far as I'm concerned, but I am still intrigued by the upside of having multiple temporary hosts.
I didn't have an issue with his voice, but his first game he did read pretty fast; he got that under control within the next two games though.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:06 pm How many people got Samuel Barber?
Me! Then again, I'm a music teacher. Then again, Adagio for Strings is one of the most famous classical pieces of the 20th century. Then again, I needed a second to shift my mind out of the Renaissance, and maybe the contestants had the same problem.
CailinGaoilge

Post by CailinGaoilge »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:59 pm
heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:23 am There was a clue in the May 1, 2019 game that triggered a good bit of discussion re: Icelandic surnames. That is where I first learned of it.

viewtopic.php?p=307000#p307000 (and subequent posts, and into the TPH education thread)
Thank you for the citation. This is where I first heard of the -dottir / - son paradigm, but I didn't know it was universal in the country. I've mentioned before that there is a lot of my knowledge that I can specifically place when I learned it, going back to childhood, comic books, and apparently, recent J! episodes, although I can't always monetize it :(. I didn't connect the dots and was focused on Ken's pronunciation of -bur, it seemed to be a pseudo-Scottish brogue. I went with Ireland, and if I had been clever enough on stage, I would mangle the second letter and pretend I meant the correct answer. Of course, once I saw the response, I knew it was right.
Scots and Irish accents are quite different, despite the common--ish Gaelic language. There are male and female versions of some surnames, but prefixes rather suffixes and only where the prefix denotes son/daughter of (like the Icelandic son/dottir) or the descendant of.

Liam O'Donnell / Nuala Ui Dhonall

Instaget on Iceland; I remember hearing the Icelandic woman PM's name during the ridiculous "can we buy Greenland" farce, and remembered also hearing about the -dur change.

Count me as another who is very sorry to see the end of Ken's hosting. Not entirely keen on the carousel to come, though I'm interested to see how Cooper and Gupta perform. But this household's vote is for Ken as permanent host.
ETA: autocorrect provided the incorrect spelling of the Irish and female version of O'Donnell.

ETA 2: I accidentally quoted rather than edited my earlier post and can't find a way to delete this one.
Last edited by CailinGaoilge on Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CailinGaoilge

Post by CailinGaoilge »

econgator wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:29 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:59 pm There are male and female versions of some surnames, but prefixes rather suffixes and only where the prefix denotes son/daughter of (like the Icelandic son/dottir) or the descendant of.

Interesting! I certainly knew about the Mac/O' for the sons, but didn't realize there was one for daughters.
In English language usage, women will just use O' and Mc/Mac, so it's not too well-known and I doubt we'd see it on J!. I also edited my post above because your quote alerted me to autocorrect wrongly "correcting" Dhonall, the Irish-language and genetive form of Donnell.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:21 pm
*raises hand*
Same. Adagio for Strings is a concert standard, and its use in the soundtrack to the movie Platoon seemed to have put in more in the public eye. We often have our TV tuned to Comcast/Xfinity music channels for background noise, and its in regular rotation. I also hear it in restaurants, sometimes stores, once or twice a year.

However, I did not know about his relationship to Menotti. Maybe we can look for a Jeopardy mashup of "Adagio and the Night Visitors" or something.
Last edited by AFRET CMS on Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

floridagator wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:34 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: it's common for Icelanders to check the database before getting into a serious relationship to ensure they aren't too closely related to the other person. :D
Insert ilhan Omar joke here
I realize you're only parroting a rumor--indeed not even doing so yourself but alluding to it to mask your scurrilousness--but that allegation remains unproven and you should quit spreading it.

No one else first learned about the -son/-dottir name endings in Iceland from reading the Hardy Boys?
In and out of the pool four times
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

reddpen wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:09 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: it's common for Icelanders to check the database before getting into a serious relationship to ensure they aren't too closely related to the other person. :D
I realize you're only parroting a rumor--indeed not even doing so yourself but alluding to it to mask your scurrilousness--but that allegation remains unproven and you should quit spreading it.

No one else first learned about the -son/-dottir name endings in Iceland from reading the Hardy Boys?
Arctic Patrol? At some point on Friday I did think about it, but then never followed through to round up the passage.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

When ilhan's father died last year, it became undeniable that he was the father of the man that ilhan had married in a sham. There is no longer any doubt that he is her half-brother.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/16/politics ... index.html
Last edited by floridagator on Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

A Wray wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:52 am
Me! Then again, I'm a music teacher. Then again, Adagio for Strings is one of the most famous classical pieces of the 20th century. Then again, I needed a second to shift my mind out of the Renaissance, and maybe the contestants had the same problem.
Damn, I missed that day of class. I'd heard of Adagio for Strings, but you could've given me all day & I wouldn't pull Samuel Barber. :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

floridagator wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:39 pm
When ilhan's father died last year, it became undeniable that he was the father of the man that ilhan had married in a sham. There is no longer any doubt that he is her half-brother.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/16/politics ... index.html
I didn’t see any mention of that in the article you linked.