Monday, February 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, February 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by rockyboy34 »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 pm I guess Mike has a beef with our archivists, since he only counts 8244 episodes. I assume he subtracted Pat's episode....
I think he counted the times Alex himself was host (disregarding pilots).

Anyway, Mike’s monologue was exceptional. Great first show for him, too.
8/10 (B+)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

rockyboy34 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:31 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 pm I guess Mike has a beef with our archivists, since he only counts 8244 episodes. I assume he subtracted Pat's episode....

8/10 (B+)
The easiest way to get to 8244 is:

Today's ep. is 8341.

Take away 30 for Ken and that is 8311.
Take away 1 for Mike and that is 8310.

Take away 65 for the rerun episodes of Season 1 that were given new numbers and that is 8245. Notice that Season 2 begins with ep. 261 although S1 did not have 260 eps.

Take away 1 for Pat Sajak hosting 4/1/97 and that gets it to Mike's announced 8,244 for Alex.

The Battle of the Bay Area Brains does not count in the mix.
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:07 pm Anyone else reminded of "One Week" by Barenaked Ladies with the Burt Kaempfurt clue? :lol:
I was annoyed that they only played 3 seconds after Richards stopped speaking, I just recognized it when time was called...
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Count two in this household who are almost ready to skip these two weeks; Mike Richards grated on us annoyingly, despite the lovely Alex monologue.

I was not going to miss the Canadian river, since I cross over it twice each way on my journey to work in normal times.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

FWIW, unless they're actually grating it in front of you, that green blob at your local sushi place is colored horseradish, not wasabi.

If I had one criticism, Richards needs to dial back the salesman a few notches.

Too many Chicago based medical shows...I correctly ruled out ER and decided to try my luck with Hope.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Our broadcast started late, and cut away before the interviews for JRB's moment of silence. Re-joined with some tall guy betting 10,000 and never recovering. Too bad, it must have been a good slugfest up to that point.

I wasn't aware Taps had an origin story, but it was easy to guess and count it up on fingers and toes - good thing we have a lot of intermarrying around here :lol:. Now if we had to count on our teeth, well it better be in binary :).

I didn't have time to get a vibe for Mike. I'm glad someone here explained Ken's abrupt departure.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

39R. 3/4 on big clues. I guessed "lights out" for FJ. That might be considered correct if the judges are generous but I'll mark it as wrong.

I did poorly on "PAGING DR. TV!" I've even seen a few of the shows. If I had to guess how many doctor shows could be expected to show up on Jeopardy!, without trying to check, I would guess 40.

Interesting wager by the champion for FJ.

I get Mastodon and Mammoth mixed up so that clue made it easy for me. I got Brahms but only on the rebound.
econgator wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:50 pm I've read and played on audio cassette the wonderful Jane Yolen (Caldecott winner) book many times and even with the half the title provided in the clue I completely understand why the $800 clue in THROWING THE BOOK AT YOU went TS. I would have valued it at a higher amount.
Yeah, I thought that was way undervalued.

Instaget FJ.
I blanked on it but in hindsight if I see a clue in the second row asking for a bird and the clue mentions night and moon then I should just guess owl.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I made my note-counting job a little easier by noting to myself that "Taps" is all three-note phrases and counting the phrases instead.

That was the right category to go big on with the last DD. I wonder how much of the miss had to do with an adrenaline rush in response to making such a wager, and how much of it was just the difficulty of finding a weird, short word. I got shades of Warren Usui game 4/Jim Stalley game 1 there.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think Mike Richards did an admirable job for his first time up to bat. I still think he needs to be demonstrably better than Ken Jennings to get the permanent gig, and so far he was not.

For FJ I wrote down "Reveille" at first and then quickly crossed it out and put "Taps."
seaborgium wrote:That was the right category to go big on with the last DD
I think you could make an argument either way. On one hand you know the correct response is right there in the clue, on the other you've got to search through that clue under extreme pressure.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I spotted gnu right away in the clue. Then I watched as David died slowly.

I answered Taps right away and then counted the notes in my head to make sure.

Terrible clue: it goes from Duluth to Ontario to Sault Sainte Marie. Duluth and Soo are cities; Ontario is a province, and it contains most of the perimeter of the Great Lakes. At least he pronounced it correctly and didn't say salt stee Marie.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:35 pm Terrible clue: it goes from Duluth to Ontario to Sault Sainte Marie. Duluth and Soo are cities; Ontario is a province, and it contains most of the perimeter of the Great Lakes. At least he pronounced it correctly and didn't say salt stee Marie.
That was kinda lame. Would have been better to just leave out Ontario or maybe replace it with Thunder Bay.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:53 pm

Too many Chicago based medical shows...I correctly ruled out ER and decided to try my luck with Hope.
The clues in that category that were present tense are still on the air, ones that aren't were past tense. The Chicago clue was present tense, so as far as I know there was only one choice. Or at least one obvious one.
Last edited by davey on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

SBurrus wrote: You could just see David deflate after the DD miss. How heartbreaking that had to be. I felt sorry for him...but that was a HUGE wager in a category that wasn't just knowledge-based.
I wonder if he was partly inspired to go big based on how easy DD2 was, that Sam benefitted from.
"Who was assasinated in 1881?" was criminally overvalued. Had no business being bottom row in the J round, let alone DJ.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Mike did very well. I won’t criticize the “enthusiasm” because it wasn’t forced. He was likely just being who he is.

As EP, I tend to doubt he is auditioning or even wants the hosting job. He made it clear from the opening that he was there because Ken needed to leave and the parade of celebrities weren’t yet ready to tape.

Tough $10,000 DD miss. At times like those, maybe you are better off trying to answer the clue rather than search for the animal within a word. You might get to the right answer more quickly (or look like a fool if you guess an animal that isn’t hidden within the clue)....
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:39 pm
rockyboy34 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:31 pm

8/10 (B+)
The easiest way to get to 8244 is:

Today's ep. is 8341.

Take away 30 for Ken and that is 8311.
Take away 1 for Mike and that is 8310.

Take away 65 for the rerun episodes of Season 1 that were given new numbers and that is 8245. Notice that Season 2 begins with ep. 261 although S1 did not have 260 eps.

Take away 1 for Pat Sajak hosting 4/1/97 and that gets it to Mike's announced 8,244 for Alex.

The Battle of the Bay Area Brains does not count in the mix.
Also doesn’t count Super Jeopardy or the GOAT matches.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Obviously one show isn't a large enough sample, but ... IMHO, Mike doesn't seem to have the proper level of gravitas for the role. It was a bit too much Price is Right-y for me.

Sam had a post where he said the taping had a lot more stops and starts than usual. So apparently the editing made it seem a lot smoother than it was. And while Ken was buttoned-up, Mike was "we're-all-in-this-together" given the circumstances of the late change in plans.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 pm
Apparently I can't count to 8 fast enough for crossword clues - I thought "trinket" was 8. I don't know why I thought a talisman could also be used for evil or bad luck (ie the monkey paw from the Brady Bunch), but I guess it's for good luck, mainly.
Monkey paw? Do you mean the Tiki idol?
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Woppy T wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:01 am
talkingaway wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 pm
Apparently I can't count to 8 fast enough for crossword clues - I thought "trinket" was 8. I don't know why I thought a talisman could also be used for evil or bad luck (ie the monkey paw from the Brady Bunch), but I guess it's for good luck, mainly.
Monkey paw? Do you mean the Tiki idol?
Yes, the monkey paw was the Simpsons.
I'm smart and I want respect.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

SBurrus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:14 pm You could just see David deflate after the DD miss. How heartbreaking that had to be. I felt sorry for him...but that was a HUGE wager in a category that wasn't just knowledge-based.
it should be an easy grab as it was picking out an animal in the text. 10k too much. 5k was a reasonable one, IMO

Mike RIchards was strong as a host.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:56 am
SBurrus wrote: You could just see David deflate after the DD miss. How heartbreaking that had to be. I felt sorry for him...but that was a HUGE wager in a category that wasn't just knowledge-based.
I wonder if he was partly inspired to go big based on how easy DD2 was, that Sam benefitted from.
"Who was assasinated in 1881?" was criminally overvalued. Had no business being bottom row in the J round, let alone DJ.
Yep, basically a gimme in Presidents.