Tuesday, February 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS) by Archivists

Post by talkingaway »

For FJ!, I knew exactly what they were looking for, but blanked on the director of The Godfather. Frustrated, I put down Puzo, knowing full well he was the second author referenced in the clue. I could picture the cover of some version of The Godfather that had "Mario Puzo's" in front of it, and figured lamely that usually when a movie is called "X's Y", that X might have dome some directing. Of course, researching it a little, I found the Puzo graphic, but also found "Paramount Pictures presents" and a less clear image that looks like the correct response. I was a little lazy with precalls, and just went with Hitchcock and Welles as my go-to replies for "old movies", and Spielberg just to have a new movie option. If I'd gone a little further, I might have hit Coppola.

My precall of "Iowa" in "three syllables, four letters" helped me with "iota", as it was just an iota off, letter-wise. I was fixated enough on "Iowa" that I might have been confused if "Ohio" had been a response to a clue - "This state borders a Great Lake" would have had me clam and wonder what was going on.

"Dinosaur" for the T. Rex clue? I didn't see anything in that clue that said you had to be that specific. I mean, I guess "animal" could also be right, but is basically short circuiting the clue. Is Sue being a T. Rex that famous? I'd NHO her, but I knew museums are known for having incomplete dinosaurs. If they wanted to be nice, they could have put in something about small hands.

In "J! can't do science", the "work" clue STUNK to high heavens. Work is the product of force over a displacement...in a sense. Work is only equal to the change in KE if there are no fields, and a few other constraints.

Mike is doing a fine job as a last minute sub - I won't be throwing spitballs his way from the back of the class. He's a little bit more of a standard, generic host type...probably the closest we have in this day to the bevy of game show hosts that were around in the 70s and 80s. Now, many gmae show hosts are either comics or talk show hosts, or both. It's a laid back style, but it's fine by me. I'd take Ken over Mike as permanent host, but I could deal with either.

My one quibble is his "ammater" pronunciation of "amateur", but now that I think about it, it's sort of British, and I think he made a reference recently about having studied in England, no? It almost reminds me of how my dad pronounces "mature" - ma-TOUR.
alietr
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS) by Archivists

Post by alietr »

Movie and sequel had me thinking Godfather and Coppola, but writing partner made me sure it must be Mike Nichols instead. The only problem was that I couldn't pull Nichols' name, so I went with Coppola. Lucky me!
talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:58 pm "Dinosaur" for the T. Rex clue? I didn't see anything in that clue that said you had to be that specific. I mean, I guess "animal" could also be right, but is basically short circuiting the clue. Is Sue being a T. Rex that famous? I'd NHO her, but I knew museums are known for having incomplete dinosaurs. If they wanted to be nice, they could have put in something about small hands.
Yes, Sue is famously a T. Rex. But I would give you the points for just dinosaur.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:45 pm Sam found it and lost 2000 while a solve would have been enough to cinch the match.
(Only because the last two $2Ks went TS)
The Talking Mime wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:18 pm FJ was an instaget. "Oscars" + "sequel" pretty much leads to only The Godfather or Lord of the Rings, and I think Jackson's Oscars only came from the third entry.
Yep. He was only nominated for writing for the first one, and not even rated that for the second. Also, if you want to play inside baseball, there are three credited writers for the LotR movies.
alietr wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:53 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:58 pm "Dinosaur" for the T. Rex clue? I didn't see anything in that clue that said you had to be that specific. I mean, I guess "animal" could also be right, but is basically short circuiting the clue. Is Sue being a T. Rex that famous? I'd NHO her, but I knew museums are known for having incomplete dinosaurs. If they wanted to be nice, they could have put in something about small hands.
Yes, Sue is famously a T. Rex. But I would give you the points for just dinosaur.
I'm in the BMS crowd, though I'm finding it impossible to explain why in words...just a gut feeling
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This was our first full episode with Mike hosting after the preemption yesterday. He seems a little robotic, but is doing a nice job.

For FJ, add one more to the list that knew the movie but couldn't pull the FFC name. I read something about the diminishing returns of sequels a long time ago that mentioned that Godfather 2 was the only sequel ever that was was better than the original. (I assume still true).

The Physics category had some issues:
I agree that the "work" clue was a bit of a trainwreck as a physics clue: This common 4-letter word has a more specific meaning in physics: change in kinetic energy. You do work lots of ways, especially lifting things from the floor to the table and changing their potential energy.

The Physics DD pretty much required you to know the science I think.
Around 1800 William Herschel found that this type of radiation he called "radiant heat" is closely related to visible light.
People know about infrared in terms of greenhouse effect, and even radiant heaters, but nobody associates infrared with radiation. But they don't associate visible light with radiation either.

If you know the Coulomb clue, you've either had some academic exposure, or you learned it as a basic SI unit. It is rarely used in real life. Capacitors store charge, but are measured in units of farads. Batteries are in amp-hours, etc.. I could be mistaken about the relative obscurity of the Coulomb, but it seems like inside baseball to me.

I like seeing Physics categories but I want them to be attainable instead of being the last clues chosen.

Nice intro by Mike. He can probably do that 8 more times, but it wouldn't be sustainable for a season.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:47 pmI read something about the diminishing returns of sequels a long time ago that mentioned that Godfather 2 was the only sequel ever that was was better than the original. (I assume still true).
Plenty of sequels equal or surpass the original (Empire Strikes Back, Dark Knight, Toy Story 2 & 3)

Now, -prequel-, that's still true. Even taking into account only half of Part 2 counts as such
The only other prequel that lives up to the original from what I've heard is Better Call Saul.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 2/4 on big clues. I said "thermal radiation" for DD3. That is technically correct as worded but it's not what they were going for. If they gave me a BMS I would get it after 5-10 seconds and it might be ruled wrong initially. I marked it wrong. Tough to figure out what they were going for there. For FJ I considered the Godfather but had no idea who would have won an Oscar for the screenplay so I went with Ethan Coen. He is a famous screen-writer and director with a partner but he has not made a sequel. A sequel to Barton Fink has been discussed.

Did very bad on GUITAR GODDESSES. Missed Joan Jett somehow. Got JUNO Awards. Missed Jupiter with Zeus. Oops. I got Gandalf with no hesitation. Ouch.

Didn't get the Bloomsbury Group and thought about the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. Didn't get Duncan Phyfe but I've heard of him before. Got stuck on parachute pants and thought of umbrella pants which didn't make sense.

I missed spinet and slide guitar and I'll try to get those next time. I'm pretty weak on clues about musical instruments and playing them.

I got September. Got Sue the T-Rex. I think I learned about Sue the T-Rex when I looked up another clue about the Field Museum and saw it was a famous centerpiece. I always scroll through the pictures when I come across a museum entry on Wikipedia. Big museums like the Field Museum or the British Museum have great pictures.

I think Mike Richards is doing well. I'll keep watching the show every day.
DBear wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:33 pm Michael Moorcock also wrote lyrics for rock bands such as Blue Oyster Cult & Hawkwind :ugeek:
That's interesting to know. I'm more familiar with him now because of Blue Oyster Cult. I swear I've heard of Stormbringer somewhere but I can't think of it. Probably the name of an item in a dozen games.
talkingaway wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:58 pm In "J! can't do science", the "work" clue STUNK to high heavens. Work is the product of force over a displacement...in a sense. Work is only equal to the change in KE if there are no fields, and a few other constraints.
That clue is fine. That's basically a statement of the work-energy theorem. They could have been more precise but they also need to get through all the other clues.
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:47 pm The Physics category had some issues:
I agree that the "work" clue was a bit of a trainwreck as a physics clue: This common 4-letter word has a more specific meaning in physics: change in kinetic energy. You do work lots of ways, especially lifting things from the floor to the table and changing their potential energy.

If you know the Coulomb clue, you've either had some academic exposure, or you learned it as a basic SI unit. It is rarely used in real life. Capacitors store charge, but are measured in units of farads. Batteries are in amp-hours, etc.. I could be mistaken about the relative obscurity of the Coulomb, but it seems like inside baseball to me.
Whatever work you do lifting your object from the floor is converted into Kinetic Energy at some point. You can solve some straightforward problem by being clever and not having to use Kinetic Energy but basing the definition of work on KE is fine.

Charles-Augustin de Coulomb may have been the first prominent scientist of the Americas. He was French but was sent to Martinique, in the Caribbean, where he was able to do groundbreaking work in the field of soil mechanics which is widely used in civil engineering and foundation design today.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:47 pm The Physics DD pretty much required you to know the science I think.
Around 1800 William Herschel found that this type of radiation he called "radiant heat" is closely related to visible light.
People know about infrared in terms of greenhouse effect, and even radiant heaters, but nobody associates infrared with radiation. But they don't associate visible light with radiation either.

If I'd been given a long time to think through the DD, I think I could have gotten there. As it was, I started with x-rays, but then read "closely related to visible light", and knew it had to be either UV or IR. I distinctly remember watching a 3-2-1 Contact show when I was little, and they had IR cameras that could detect body heat - and I've seen many variations of IR visualization through the years. If I'd thought of that, I would have gone with IR instead of my ultimate response of UV.

Coulomb was easy enough - second semester physics should contain some E&M, and Coulomb's Law is basically Newton's law of gravitation, but with electric charge instead of mass, and the ability to both attract and repel. Couple that with a little bit of circuitry work, where an electric current measures the rate of the flow of charge, and you get your Coulomb unit. I wouldn't know if you can buy anything with Coulombs in Radio Shack, but it was definitely a unit that was tested extensively on the AP test.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:37 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:45 pm Sam found it and lost 2000 while a solve would have been enough to cinch the match.
(Only because the last two $2Ks went TS)
The Talking Mime wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:18 pm FJ was an instaget. "Oscars" + "sequel" pretty much leads to only The Godfather or Lord of the Rings, and I think Jackson's Oscars only came from the third entry.
Yep. He was only nominated for writing for the first one, and not even rated that for the second. Also, if you want to play inside baseball, there are three credited writers for the LotR movies.
alietr wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:53 pm
I'm in the BMS crowd, though I'm finding it impossible to explain why in words...just a gut feeling
I'm in the BMS crowd, too. The clue did specify that Sue is/was 40 feet long.
OCSam
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:31 pm I instantly knew it had to be the director of The Godfather and The Godfather Part II. But then inexplicably I put down Scorsese.
Yeah, welcome to the club...
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

I thought that was the easiest possible movie director clue but apparently I was wrong.

I once knew a Sam Stapleton, a late grandfather of a good friend of mine, and, beyond him being a wise and kind man, I always thought his name sounded cool. Glad this Sam Stapleton represented his name well and took home $50k.
davey

Post by davey »

It's worth noting that Mike Nichols never won a writing Oscar. In fact he doesn't have a writing credit on any of his movies...
There was a time when Francis Coppola was considered the greatest director working. In 1974 he released 2 great movies, The Godfather, Part Two and The Conversation. Now people are reporting they couldn't remember his name...
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I remember seeing a Wheel of Fortune episode almost 20 years ago where the answer to the puzzle was "Francis Ford and Sofia Coppola". The contestant had the whole puzzle filled in, but was ruled wrong because she said it "cuh-POH-la". Even at the time, I knew who both of the people in the puzzle were, and how to pronounce their names correctly.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Fact I learned from Ken's Brainiac: Francis Ford Coppola's first Oscar was for the Patton screenplay. But all I really needed for this FJ was the knowledge that The Godfather Part II's Oscar success is close to unique among sequels.
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:30 am I remember seeing a Wheel of Fortune episode almost 20 years ago where the answer to the puzzle was "Francis Ford and Sofia Coppola". The contestant had the whole puzzle filled in, but was ruled wrong because she said it "cuh-POH-la". Even at the time, I knew who both of the people in the puzzle were, and how to pronounce their names correctly.
That's harsh. I didn't know Wheel was stricter about such things than J!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

John Boy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:20 pm Ditto. I never heard of this guy, literally (OK, sue me, I don't read the credits). When found out what his day job is I sort of expected a stereotypical nerdy behind-the-scenes guy. But he has been a most pleasant surprise. And I don't mind this level of energy/enthusiasm, as long as it doesn't mutate into Let's-Make-a-Deal levels.
In addition to his behind-the-scenes work, Richards is an experienced game/reality show host. Among other things, he was the host of GSN's Divided and their 2012 version of The Pyramid.
Sprinkles are for winners.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Did anyone else think the TV category was a bit of a killer for the Jeopardy round?

It required knowing a lot of character names instead of actors. I only got the Breaking Bad clue. Silicon Valley came to mind but I wasn't nearly confident enough to have rung in.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:48 am Did anyone else think the TV category was a bit of a killer for the Jeopardy round?

It required knowing a lot of character names instead of actors. I only got the Breaking Bad clue. Silicon Valley came to mind but I wasn't nearly confident enough to have rung in.
I only knew the top box in that category.
davey

Post by davey »

"Red Reddington" has appeared 6 times before on J! I might not have got it otherwise. "Sue Sylvester" has come up 5 times. Even "Pied Piper = Silicon Valley" has come up before but that's the only one I thought was really tough, delving into show content. though "naming a tech co." is a good hint and Silicon Valley was a great show, so,,,
Last edited by davey on Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

TV clues have gotten unfair because the TV landscape has become so segmented. There are too many outlets and too many series to keep track of them.

In the old days, there were only three networks, and there would only ever be trivia questions about the biggest hits and longest-running series.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

floridagator wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:00 am TV clues have gotten unfair because the TV landscape has become so segmented. There are too many outlets and too many series to keep track of them.

In the old days, there were only three networks, and there would only ever be trivia questions about the biggest hits and longest-running series.
Harder, maybe. "Unfair" has nothing to do with it. One of these clues is on a J! obsession, and requires only recognizing a major character name. 3 of them were on those same old networks of yore...(Yes, I'm including Fox, it's been broadcasting to everybody's TV for 34 years...)
Most players are very comfortable with TV categories, witness how often they're the first categories they go for.