Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by twelvefootboy »

I had a nice start with 3 right including a total WAG of the Tran-Siberian Railway (ftr, I said Railroad and got credit).

The rowing clue bugged me because I couldn't think of a fad gym implement besides Nautilus, BowFlex, and Thighmaster from the era. Turns out to be something I've never heard of with Ergometer. This must come from the medical side, not the gym/fitness side.

I penciled in "Segway" for the Concorde clue, knowing I'd replace it if I could come up with something. I know they were supposed to take the world by storm and were somewhat of a bust. I also knew they were not of that era since GW Bush famously fell off of one (or something like that). Re-reading and seeing a major death event easily narrowed it down. I did get a chuckle imagining 100+ Segway death count as the Rise of the Machines happening in real life :).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

What the heck was that?!? 36% was the "easiest" question?!? Thorsten, what the heck?!?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Surprised Gif Jif played so low... (Also, per LL forum, gif counted)

I thought helium being first discovered off planet was more well known than that.

And I just got it after a half hour (without looking it up). Because Ben's Big.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Got five of the six yesterday (missed Ben). Lost to the only six-pack in the rundle, which is a bit frustrating.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I really thought more people would get Ben. That one was a real Thorsten special. Also helium because of the connection to Helios.

I got four right yesterday (missed Jif and Christmas) and my opponent got just one. Won 6(4)-1(1). Had the Holy Ghost instead of Christmas and Planter's instead of Jif (I knew Planter's famously killed off Mr. Peanut last year).
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I thought the league-wide get rates were a spreadsheet error or something. In my rundle, they looked a lot more realistic.

Does anybody else think the wording of the Muslim holiday question made it more difficult. If it had said 'As it relates to its central figure,' instead of the plural, I would've been much more likely to suss out the correct answer. ETA: instead, I ended up with 'apostles'.
Last edited by mahatma on Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

mahatma wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:46 pm I thought the league-wide get rates were a spreadsheet error or something. In my rundle, they looked a lot more realistic.

Does anybody else think the wording of the Muslim holiday question made it more difficult. If it had said 'As it relates to its central figure,' instead of the plural, I would've been much more likely to suss out the correct answer.
The pluralization led me to answer 'Holy Trinity'.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

totally thought those get rates were off too. I had a 9 (6) thanks to a lucky Christmas guess, but the others, except for Ben, were instant fill ins for me. Ben was a great question, took me a while to get there, but that's the kind of LL thing that makes me smile.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

alietr wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:20 pm
mahatma wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:46 pm I thought the league-wide get rates were a spreadsheet error or something. In my rundle, they looked a lot more realistic.

Does anybody else think the wording of the Muslim holiday question made it more difficult. If it had said 'As it relates to its central figure,' instead of the plural, I would've been much more likely to suss out the correct answer.
The pluralization led me to answer 'Holy Trinity'.
I did the same thing.

I only got 2 correct yesterday, but the set struck me as fair. I didn't get Big Ben, but I agree that it was a fantastic question. Like one LLama mention on the message board I nearly lucked into guessing Ben, because of Disraeli, but I was pretty sure that was his real name. I tried to remember the first name of the politician Downing, but couldn't remember and guessed Hugh. Turns out his first name was George, and I had the wrong century.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Maybe this will be the season I get promoted from a drundle to a crundle.

I was watching SNL on Monday and I paused it while I was filling out the learned league questions. I did not get the Olivia Rodrigo clue. So close.
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:57 pm I penciled in "Segway" for the Concorde clue, knowing I'd replace it if I could come up with something. I know they were supposed to take the world by storm and were somewhat of a bust. I also knew they were not of that era since GW Bush famously fell off of one (or something like that). Re-reading and seeing a major death event easily narrowed it down. I did get a chuckle imagining 100+ Segway death count as the Rise of the Machines happening in real life :).
Right, I thought of Segway then spent 30 seconds trying to remember the Great Segway Massacre of 2000. I figured if that was a real thing it would have burned into my memory and since I couldn't think of it then it wasn't a real thing. That reasoning did not work on the Banjo clue when I put down "Didgeridoo Drew" despite my confidence that I'm pretty sure I would remember a guy named Didgeridoo Drew.

Does anybody else think the wording of the Muslim holiday question made it more difficult. If it had said 'As it relates to its central figure,' instead of the plural, I would've been much more likely to suss out the correct answer. ETA: instead, I ended up with 'apostles'.
I figured it was a coin flip between Christmas and Good Friday. Picked the wrong one.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I'm a little relieved about Day 2 after reading these posts. The JBoardLite Rundle has 2 A Rundlers that got 9 right between them. The remaining 8 of us: 6 got exactly one right, only one got any points at all (2).

Helium was a freebie for me and Bamaman blocked it perfectly. I spoiled his lone get with a zero for Color of Money. All movie questions are hard for me, but I assumed it to be easier than it actually was (it's Tom Cruise, for Pete's sake) so I was accidentally and uncharacteristically good defense. ClassicRoadster will be glad to face the rest of us the next 7 games after leading off playing the two ringers :).

I would have liked to have a crack at the Ben question without the diversion of his last name of Hall. I said Tammany, since I don't know what Tammany Hall really is. My brother chose Arsenio Hall over Monty :lol:.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

My opponent must have flipped the point values for the top two... 0 for (...wait a minuite...new tab, navigate to LL, match game, copy...) MEZZOGIORNO and 1 for Lady Bird? (I mean, I'm always amused when I get points for a film question, but moreso when it comes under circumstances like this).

Probably got Browning from Day of Defeat; if not there, I have no idea...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was pretty confident the Italian region was Umbria even reasoning that umbrella must come from the same root. Of course "umbra" actually means shade, not sun, and Umbria is smack in the middle of Italy.

I got the other five and pulled out my third win.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:06 am I was pretty confident the Italian region was Umbria even reasoning that umbrella must come from the same root. Of course "umbra" actually means shade, not sun, and Umbria is smack in the middle of Italy.

I got the other five and pulled out my third win.
Because of the word sun, even though I was sure Tuscany was not in the south, it was all I could come up with... I Under the Tuscan Sun
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I knew precisely the region he was referring to, and confidently said Calabria (calor = heat). Oops. Technically correct, but not fitting the rest of the clue.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Woof wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:13 pm I knew precisely the region he was referring to, and confidently said Calabria (calor = heat). Oops. Technically correct, but not fitting the rest of the clue.
Same answer and same post facto reasoning, did not know the region though
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:06 pm I would have liked to have a crack at the Ben question without the diversion of his last name of Hall. I said Tammany, since I don't know what Tammany Hall really is. My brother chose Arsenio Hall over Monty :lol:.
Royal Albert was going to be my I-give-up response but the height finally clicked
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:06 pm ClassicRoadster will be glad to face the rest of us the next 7 games after leading off playing the two ringers :).
Well, you tied one of those 'ringers' on MD3, so what does that make you?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

My opponent and I zeroed each other on Tennessee. My correct answer was Lynchburg. Just curious about the ratio of TN compared to Lynchburg here?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:05 pm My opponent and I zeroed each other on Tennessee. My correct answer was Lynchburg. Just curious about the ratio of TN compared to Lynchburg here?
I put Tennessee, but without much confidence at all. I was pretty surprised to see 72% got that one right! It also had by far the lowest average defense, so most people must have been fairly confident.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:05 pm My opponent and I zeroed each other on Tennessee. My correct answer was Lynchburg. Just curious about the ratio of TN compared to Lynchburg here?
TN for me.