Friday, February 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, February 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, February 26, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EARLY U.S. HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Elbridge Gerry, Charles Pinckney & John Marshall were the diplomats in this 1797 incident that led to a quasi-war with France

Michael Colton: 13800-5398=8402 (2x = $17,603)
Syed Ayamed: 14200-13500=700
Ollie Savage: 18400-10001=8399

Correct response:
Spoiler
the XYZ Affair (Michael – the ??) (Syed – the Affair) (Ollie – the Rum Barrel Fiasco)

Daily Doubles
Michael: 6000+2000
Ollie: 7400+5000
Syed: 11200+3000

Coryats
Michael: 12800
Syed: 13200
Ollie: 14600

Combined: 40,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Michael: 9000
Syed: 3200
Ollie: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yes! TOYS & GAMES did have a clue about the current events toy.

Another clue slightly cringey for being a little too familiar was the TKR one. When coupling that with the Maine & Georgia city in ROAD TRIP TO THE SAME-NAMED PLACE it was hard not to think of Tiger.

BASEBALL NICKNAMES was played last and Syed had $200 when it began. A category run later and he was up to $3200 to end the round.

On DD3 Syed's bet got him up to second place in between 13400 & 15600. A bigger bet and he could have led, but it very likely would have been a loss anyway.

The FJ! is easy when you know it. 1797 incident? Done.

For those in the NHOI camp good luck counting the guys in the clue and trying to create a "3"-something.

If Ollie bets to cover (like he did) then he's left with 8399 which happened. Michael played for that with a couple of extra bucks in case Syed did the same and it worked out for an unusual title defense from third place.

J! round leads are not worth much lately as on Wednesday Aaron led 9800 to 4800 to 2300 and trailed for the FJ! round. Today Michael's 9000 to 3200 to 2600 was gone by the FJ! round.

This week had two all male games and it may have surprised those who look at ahead at the week's lineup of contestants on Monday as it could have been possible to expect a woman winner to have appeared on Wed. or Fri. when seeing two dudes and the blank space for the returning champ.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mike Richards week one is done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6953

Hope Ken watches the game and gets the quorum number this time after not Master Minding it on Monday.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Question: "Affair" isn't specific enough; would just "XYZ" work? What about XYZ issue or XYZ scandal?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:50 pm The FJ! is easy when you know it. 1797 incident? Done.

For those in the NHOI camp good luck counting the guys in the clue and trying to create a "3"-something.
I couldn't tell you the year of the XYZ Affair, but the naming of three individuals did seem to hint at a 3-something, which, in combination with the mention of France, was enough to lead me to XYZ. The named Americans, however, were not the X, Y, and Z. Those were the French bribe-seekers Jean-Conrad Hottinguer (X), Pierre Bellamy (Y), and Lucien Hauteval (Z).
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Another Timely Clue There with Mr Potato Head.

And another Great Match to end the Week.

No Clue on Final. Knew after the wrong answer of the affair was revealed.

Lach Trash - 51,Oxford
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just the category I want when I am trying to salvage a winning FJ week. I wasn’t disappointed when I had it done just as the music started.

I was worried the baseball category would go the way of the infamous football category but I joined Syed in knocking it out of the park.

The (Mr.) Potato Head clue gave me a chuckle as I am sure it did everyone else.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ACW wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:47 pm Question: "Affair" isn't specific enough; would just "XYZ" work? What about XYZ issue or XYZ scandal?
Personally, I would neg all of those. It's only ever been known as "affair".
Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:35 pm I was worried the baseball category would go the way of the infamous football category but I joined Syed in knocking it out of the park.
Little embarrassed to say I forgot who Mr. November was.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Asian History, Toys & Games, Opera, Large & In Charge
Daily Doubles: :D :D :(
trash: Afghanistan, slave, nuclear
FJ: Blanked. Had Shay's Rebellion just to have something. :oops:

How timely for Mr. Potato Head. :lol:
Precalled factorial :geek:
Impressed by Syed running Baseball. 8-) I clammed the last clue.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

It was cool to see the question about Equatorial Guinea 🇬🇶 today. It doesn’t look like any part of it is actually on the Equator. XYZ came to me after I discarded ABC. Good game overall!
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:30 pm
ACW wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:47 pm Question: "Affair" isn't specific enough; would just "XYZ" work? What about XYZ issue or XYZ scandal?
Personally, I would neg all of those. It's only ever been known as "affair"..
Issue is vague but "scandal" is close to a synonym to "affair" in this context.
This is pretty convincing-
https://allthingsliberty.com/tag/xyz-scandal/
It wold be hard to neg "XYZ." It's the important part...
I may have last come upon this fact in a high school pop quiz. At least, I felt it emerging tonight from those murky depths of (my) history. I guess I got it right then too... :geek:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Toys & Games and "Orial", but 0/5 in Numbers and Baseball Nicknames.

NHO either of the Oxfords named in that clue for my only miss in that Road Trip category.

Surprised myself by getting 3/5 in Opera. Said Aida for Carmen at $400, no clue on the DD.

Also 0/5 in 17th Century Literature and got only $1,600 in Around the World.

No guess on FJ! I've heard of the XYZ Affair but couldn't tell you what it was.

Lach Trash: blackball
Danmel
Valued Contributor

Post by Danmel »

It has been more than 40 years, but the XYZ Affair featured prominently on my AP history exam and I will never forget it.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 4/4 on big clues. Really good DJ round for me.

Mandatory reference to anthropomorphic tuber toy.

Missed Charles Perrault and Ernie Banks. I didn't know Derek Jeter was Mr. November or what an advertorial was. I'll try to get those next time.

I ran across a clue in the archive recently where I mixed up Summertime in Porgy & Bess with Old Man River in Show Boat. Got it right this time. That clue was asking for Kern and I said Gershwin.

The Med. Abbrev. category had several clues about things that frequently appear in commercials on Jeopardy!
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $40,600
52 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Oxford, Slave, nuclear power, blackball

Another very good FJ! wager from the champ.

OTOH, I hated Syed's wager on DD3. $3000 did little to improve his standing in the match. Given that it was a themed category, I think it was the right spot to go TDD.

I got a chuckle out the fact that after Syed answered Salem prematurely on the Portland clue, I answered Springfield prematurely on the Salem clue.

I also had a painful miss on 17th Century Lit $2000, mixing up the names of Charles Perrault and French composer Charles Gounod.

NHO "advertorial," though it makes sense.
davey wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:00 pm
I may have last come upon this fact in a high school pop quiz. At least, I felt it emerging tonight from those murky depths of (my) history. I guess I got it right then too... :geek:
I agree with davey. Any reasonable response including XYZ should be fine.
Sprinkles are for winners.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Are you kidding me, fate, with that FJ!? Visiting my father this week, he had John Adams, the HBO miniseries from 10 or 15 years ago, playing in the background. I wasn't really paying much attention to it, but I -DID- note dialogue about US diplomats being bribed by the French. I mean, the miniseries is 501 minutes long, and it happens to be in the exact right spot? Unfortunately, the dialogue didn't contain XYZ, or I was distracted. I'd watched the miniseries when it first came out, and I just have this "thing" about watching shows twice - there's too much that I want to watch once to bother going back and rewatching stuff I've already seen. As it was, I got stumped too.

I, too, chuckled at the other coincidences: quorum in the Senate being on Master Minds (seriously, do the writers moonlight?), and Mr. Potato Head's appearance in toys. I actually didn't need to piece together the potato clue - I knew that it had originally just been a sack of plastic body part replicas, and you supplied your own potato. Wouldn't the potatoes smell and grow nasty stuff after awhile? It does seem like a terrible waste of food to me.

Good wager by the champ. He predicted the most likely outcome that would give him a path to victory, and bet accordingly.
Last edited by talkingaway on Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I have quickly gotten used to Mike Richards, and he has nailed it for three days (OK, one afternoon in real time). He backfilled just enough to make sure everybody got the point of the clue or the subtext if needed.

On FJ, uh-oh - it's that damn thing the writers like with the J'accuse meme. But wasn't that a lot later? What's it called - the XYZ Affair? Oh no - Oh hell yes. Two wrongs do make a right! France got me to J'accuse got me to "blank" affair. I'm just glad I didn't have to pull Dreyfuss.

I was pulling for Ollie as the better player once he hit his stride and his savoir faire. Plus his suit was killer, and would he bring my bags up to my room :lol:.

I'll cycle back to Mark's baseball thread. They were all Boomer friendly except the Jeter one. I could have known it if I wanted to but Yankee related information is rejected at the second filter after the Kardashian firewall.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:51 pm
davey wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:00 pm
I agree with davey. Any reasonable response including XYZ should be fine.
*now intends to use XYZ Kerfuffle in the future*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)