New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:33 am
econgator wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:19 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 am In addition to the end of Fred's interview, I'm having a hard time hearing what Alex says at the end of the show, right before "an exciting two weeks, with big, big bucks being won by our contestants."
Best I've got is "Boy, have we put in an exciting two weeks with ..."
I hear it more clearly now. It's "And boy, has this been an exciting two weeks, with..."
I'd say that telegraphs that this was the end of a Wednesday taping. (Or day 2 of whichever two-day cycle they might have been doing at the time.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:54 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:31 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:16 am Thanks for getting the game in and to complete it I filled in Alec's 2-day total of $34,898.
In his first game we see him exceed the cover wager with the max "keep third locked out" wager; did he do similarly in his second game? Just curious, since his total is pretty high (and the 98 ending could mean he successfully did a max lockout wager a second time).
9300+8999=18299

Margaret: 300-300=0
Mike: 11800-11300=500
Do you have FJ stats from his loss?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:48 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:54 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:31 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:16 am Thanks for getting the game in and to complete it I filled in Alec's 2-day total of $34,898.
In his first game we see him exceed the cover wager with the max "keep third locked out" wager; did he do similarly in his second game? Just curious, since his total is pretty high (and the 98 ending could mean he successfully did a max lockout wager a second time).
9300+8999=18299

Margaret: 300-300=0
Mike: 11800-11300=500
Do you have FJ stats from his loss?
I'm supposed to be archiving the 2/19/21 game and not playing memory lane. ;)

Alec: 5100+5098=10198
Bill: 7600+2601=10201
Dave: 2200-2200=0
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks. I’ll leave you to your real job and not disturb you further.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:27 pm I'd say that telegraphs that this was the end of a Wednesday taping. (Or day 2 of whichever two-day cycle they might have been doing at the time.)
Reasonable assumption
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:48 pm I added 12/13/84: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6816

Player pics of Ed Sample, Faryl Reingold, and Ric Moser:
Spoiler

Warning: If like me you try to check Google for a possible "Ed Sample" hit you may not get what you're looking for. I'm fairly confident I'm in the ballpark for his name and quite certain for Faryl Reingold.

When working on various tapes for the long credits brigade I was reminded by green box colors unusual on my shelves that I had some tapes I acquired many years ago through VHS for VHS game show trades. One tape had a bunch of S1 games.

All of the games were already in the archive except this one that had been sitting in my collection without my recalling it since probably before I started archiving games.

All of the clues are there except for one little problem as the recording went from the last clue of the first segment to the FJ! round before the J! round clue could fully zoom or play out. I know Ric got it correct based on scores after chat. I just can’t make out the wording.

Here it is if anyone has those kind of fictitious skills from TV/movies were a blurry license plate suddenly becomes crystal clear from 100 yards away off a street cam.

Yup, that was a typical S1 game.

At this point unless I discover other games in my collection or other episodes turn up through sharing routes with uploads, I do not have anymore games to archive.

Through PMs I have been given a couple of leads to some on the trading circuit that may or may not be active and who could have games missing from the archive. I will share good news when and if I can.
Good news: I was sent a perfect screenshot this afternoon of this clue — and was even told the order of the correct response.

This game is now complete in the Archive.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
booboo9921
Valued Contributor

Post by booboo9921 »

there IS 1 person on youtube who could be one heck of a help, the un is televisionarchives just send him an email and introduce yourself and he might be willing to upload 1 or 2 episodes, (he has at least 500 complete episodes.) p.s. it wouldn't be on youtube if he does upload any, I've already asked him to upload a couple to his archive.org website
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This previously incomplete game (Eric Berman game 4) is now complete:
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5348

I find it funny that Alex told Mary that she wasn't allowed to give part of the clue as her response in a category that required giving part of the clue as the response.

In his interview, champ Eric said he was a sports journalist for the Lansing, Illinois (south suburban Chicago) newspaper the Daily Calumet, which folded three months after Eric's 1987 airdates, ending a 106-year run.

Here's a contemporary L.A. Times article about the "Stonebusters" ad of one DJ! Round clue.

Between the end of the J! Round and the start of the DJ! Round, Eric's score went from $3,500 to $3,200 without explanation. I chose to "fix" that in the Archive by deducting credit for a $300 J! Round clue that Eric responded to correctly and was properly entitled to the money for.

There's a great photo of a vintage ad for the 2nd-place prize portable TV in this thread.

Eric Berman game 5 is also in:
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6952

Add this game to the list of those with the lowest single-day winnings.

The J! Round had a Kevin McCarthy clue from back when Kevin McCarthy was only the associate director of Jeopardy!--also the rare clue with a double bang.

Challenger Mike's interview featured Alex quizzing self-described trekkie Mike about why Star Trek was still popular. The Next Generation was still nearly three months away from premiering, in September 1987. I kind of get the sense that Mike started to discuss that there was going to be a new show the next fall, but that part of his interview was cut out, either for time, or because TPTB didn't want to plug another (potentially competing!) syndicated show. You can see one part of the interview where Alex's eyes glance surreptitiously toward offstage, as if looking for a "wrap-it-up" signal from one of the producers or a stage manager or who-have-you.

In Eric's interview he mentions that he will use his winnings to buy a VCR. I wonder if the Archive has said VCR to thank for the existence of these games. EDIT: Wonder no longer, because, Eric tells me, this is correct. His fourth and fifth games were pre-empted in his hometown by the Oliver North hearings, but he had moved between tape date and airdates, so while his parents missed out, he got the full set of recordings.

Sg alert, there's a Liederkranz clue for you, only the fifth in the Archive. From this article I learn that the same guy who invented Liederkranz also invented Velveeta(!) and that the Liederkranz cheese line was doomed by a nationwide recall of the cheese after a 1985 bacterial contamination, after which the cheese was never produced again. No one ever got sick, and it's not even clear that any contaminated product ever left the warehouse, but I guess the cheese was a poor enough seller that a little bit of bad press meant a death knell. Here's a contemporary news article.

Alex takes the unusual step of apologizing for a potentially offensive J! Round clue (POT LUCK $200) before the Double Jeopardy! Round starts.

Challenger David rambled on and on giving increasingly detailed correct information with his response to the first Daily Double of the DJ! Round, but none of it helped him, as he had failed to begin with "What is..."

I had never heard of Powel Crosley Jr. What a fascinating American entrepreneur. I wonder if in 80 years no one will remember Elon Musk or Mark Cuban or Jeff Bezos. (I also hadn't heard of Gene Barry, though of course I've seen his performance in George Pal's The War of the Worlds many times.)

The DJ! Round category DECEMBER 7th was not gotten around to, but it made its reappearance a few months later as a J! Round category in Roy Holliday game 2.

Eric wagered correctly, but that was a hard way to go out.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice work, thanks. It's great to see old games are still turning up through various avenues. There's hope for the missing tourney games, still.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:10 pm This previously incomplete game (Eric Berman game 4) is now complete:
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5348
I'm friends with daughters and grandchildren of someone named in a clue in this game. (One of the Lennon Sisters, to be precise. I'm also friends with three people who are nieces of all four of them.)
Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:10 pm Sg alert, there's a Liederkranz clue for you, only the fifth in the Archive. From this article I learn that the same guy who invented Liederkranz also invented Velveeta(!) and that the Liederkranz cheese line was doomed by a nationwide recall of the cheese after a 1985 bacterial contamination, after which the cheese was never produced again. No one ever got sick, and it's not even clear that any contaminated product ever left the warehouse, but I guess the cheese was a poor enough seller that a little bit of bad press meant a death knell. Here's a contemporary news article.
I mentioned the Velveeta fact in the comments when I posted my fourth game on Facebook on its anniversary last summer. Also, Liederkranz was revived not very long after my J! run; I can't say whether or not my FJ has anything to do with it. My friend's brother received some as a member of some sort of Cheese of the Month club, and my friend's boyfriend reported that it smelled awful, "like mildew and a" bodily malady I'll refrain from naming here. The brother and I talked about it some time later, and he said it was too processed to truly count as a cheese to him. He wasn't surprised to hear that Velveeta was produced by the same man.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The Liederkranz clue in this game was cute negbait that, perhaps like the cheese itself, tempted none of the players.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Congratulations to anyone getting those FJs right in 2021.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:09 pm Congratulations to anyone getting those FJs right in 2021.
The lottery one is gettable, or, at least, I got it, by naming the states with the three most populous urban areas.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:11 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:09 pm Congratulations to anyone getting those FJs right in 2021.
The lottery one is gettable, or, at least, I got it, by naming the states with the three most populous urban areas.
I was trying to remember which states were the first to start a lottery.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Eric Berman pointed me to this post by our late great friend Robert McIelwain in which the 3-day total for David Peterman (winning challenger in Eric Berman game 5 I just entered) is given as $7,300, which is asserted to have been the lowest 3-day total ever, both pre- and post-doubled dollar values.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:21 am Eric Berman pointed me to this post by our late great friend Robert McIelwain in which the 3-day total for David Peterman (winning challenger in Eric Berman game 5 I just entered) is given as $7,300, which is asserted to have been the lowest 3-day total ever, both pre- and post-doubled dollar values.
Specifically, the lowest 3-day total for a player who didn't win their fourth game; Sid Moore, Jr., for example (possibly the only example), won $5,199 in his first three games but won over $10,000 in his fourth.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Thanks Sg, I edited David's player page to specify, including your example.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

From 2014:
seaborgium wrote: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:20 pm I noticed Bruce Fauman #3 is archived now. Is the date a guess? Also, if Bob's last name isn't confirmed, may I suggest Boem or Boehm?
I think I've more or less confirmed that the rightmost player in Bruce Fauman game 3 is Bob Boehm, not Boed. Twitter user @BobbBoehm has "Former Jeopardy! Contestant" in his bio, plus I think his profile/cover picture is a facial match for the 1985 contestant. (The game is on archive.org if anyone else wishes to check for themselves.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:51 pm I think I've more or less confirmed that the rightmost player in Bruce Fauman game 3 is Bob Boehm, not Boed. Twitter user @BobbBoehm has "Former Jeopardy! Contestant" in his bio, plus I think his profile/cover picture is a facial match for the 1985 contestant. (The game is on archive.org if anyone else wishes to check for themselves.)
Thanks, I made the change in the Archive and atted Bob to confirm
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Glenn leaves off the "What is" here, right?