Monday, March 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GEOGRAPHIC REGIONS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In "Histoire des Navigations aux Terres Australes" Charles de Brosses coined this term for the many islands of the region

Michael Colton: 17600-8399=9201
Jillian Zeidner: 4600-4595=5
Jon Spurney: 21400+15801=37201 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Polynesia (Michael – Oceania) (Jillian – Oceania)

Daily Doubles
Jillian: 1400-1400
Michael: 6200+3000
Jon: 16600+2400

Coryats
Michael: 15800
Jillian: 6000
Jon: 20200

Combined: 42,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Michael: 5400
Jillian: 2200
Jon: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice opening by Mike centering on Johnny Gilbert. Was Johnny really in the studio or it was fancy editing work from a previous glimpse of the announcer?

To anyone who did not get AUTHORS' ROAD TRIPS $400, try watching J!:

#8278, aired 2020-11-11 AUTHORS' HOMES $3,000 (Daily Double): In the 1870s she & her family lived in a little dugout house near Walnut Grove, Minnesota on the banks of Plum Creek
#8238, aired 2020-09-16 TV SHOWS BASED ON BOOKS BY WOMEN $600: In the 1970s & '80s Melissa Gilbert & Melissa Sue Anderson starred in "Little House on the Prairie", based on books by this author

To the contestants who did not get the John Young & Robert Crippen visual clue: Did you see what they were holding? Are video clues that tough in the studio? So strange.

It was going to be Jon's game since he knew and played DD3 along with sole-solving the FJ! clue. Jon even managed to pad the expected winning total by an extra two grand.

The FJ! category had me try some precalls of Outback, Siberia, Serengeti, Transvaal, & Pampas.

The FJ! clue had me guess the correct place quickly with no real confidence or fearful doubt. It just seemed right and I'm not good enough on such material to even think of Michael & Jillian's incorrect response. It looks like a clean hit on the box score even if it may have been more of a check swing bloop for me.

Michael leaves with 2+3+2 for position entering the FJ! round although his Coryat was improving each game. It could be that if he escapes this game then more wins might have followed.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6955

NATIONALITY RHYMES $400: Joy for those of Geneva

Any reason not to count my response of Swiss miss instead of the show's Swiss bliss?

Only five TS clues. Not bad at all.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Great Tribute to Johnny At the Beginning.

No Clue on Final.

Lach Trash - Space Shuttle
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Seeing the oldest player win gives me hope of fulfilling my dream. It was a good day to be old with a 1984 TV category and another clue about a classic show from the 1970s and the Space Shuttle. I did miss the top clue in TV when I couldn’t pull Johnson fast enough.

I joined the two non-winners with Oceania.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:45 pm To the contestants who did not get the John Young & Robert Crippen visual clue: Did you see what they were holding? Are video clues that tough in the studio? So strange.
Right? I was thinking, "They're literally holding a shuttle orbiter model."

Many = poly, done.
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:29 pm NATIONALITY RHYMES $400: Joy for those of Geneva

Any reason not to count my response of Swiss miss instead of the show's Swiss bliss?
I could justify allowing it.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $42,600
52 R/1 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: space shuttle, Syrian criterion

Today's episode feature a contestant who works in an industry unfettered by the constraints of reality, as well as two screenwriters.

The placement of "many" in the FJ! really seemed intentional, so Polynesia it is.

I matched Jillian on DD1 with FAA. I guess I should just know that Alan Dulles was Ike's CIA Director, but that was much more of a YEKIOYD than most DDs.
Sprinkles are for winners.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:16 pm
I matched Jillian on DD1 with FAA. I guess I should just know that Alan Dulles was Ike's CIA Director, but that was much more of a YEKIOYD than most DDs.
Agreed. I had heard what he was director of before, and I knew it wasn't the FAA (because that would be an easy connection to remember)... so guessed CIA because it was the only other "agency" that immediately sprung to mind.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: ___ & ___, American History, Game of Cards, Anthropology, 1984 TV
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
trash: Lo & Behold, Space Shuttle (shocked along with Mark), CIA DD, cargo,
FJ: Polynesia = many islands, instaget. :mrgreen:
Well played by Jon. Pulled Book of the Dead when I thought it would TS.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Loved the Johnny Gilbert tribute. I would hate to see him go almost as much as I hated to see Alex go, but I trust that any successor will be chosen with care in either case.

Also loved seeing a clue about Cards Against Humanity. I miss playing that at Midwest FurFest with my friends. And then they had to do a clue about Super Password, which I also used to play at said con with friends...

While I'm no longer keeping score, I did run the National Recording Registry category.

French + many islands = Polynesia, right?
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

I would probably be ruled incorrect for "French Polynesia". I think it would have been overly specific?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Charming wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:16 pm I would probably be ruled incorrect for "French Polynesia". I think it would have been overly specific?
I'm on the fence on this one. Leaning toward "I'd allow it" because the correct term is in your response, in (a subset of) the correct context. Then again, he did not coin the term "French Polynesia" as far as I can tell. Tough call. Would be interested to hear other thought.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:38 pm
While I'm no longer keeping score, I did run the National Recording Registry category.

French + many islands = Polynesia, right?
I ran this category also, and didn't even know the name of the category. I never expect to get music questions, so they just hit my exact random knowledge. I could see Camp Granada being a big stumper - it was probably the first novelty song I ever heard.

Book of the Dead was an epic get by John.

I thought of both Polynesia and Oceania, and since I only heard of Oceania a couple decades ago, I was pretty sure about Polynesia. Easy coin flip.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Funny, I said Charles in Charge for the Who's the Boss clue. Oddly, they both began in 1984.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 4/4 on big clues. Went through Micronesia, Indonesia, and Malaysia before I figured out Polynesia.

Biggest miscue was blanking on Abigail Adams and eventually coming up with Jane Addams.

I said Steve Wozniak instead of Steve Jobs. Wozniak seemed like somebody that would be more likely to promote piracy but it was a top row clue so I should have kept it simple.

Allen Dulles and John Foster Dulles are both important for Jeopardy!. Allen ran the CIA and John F. had the State Department. Dulles Airport is named for John Foster Dulles.
twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:07 pm I ran this category also, and didn't even know the name of the category. I never expect to get music questions, so they just hit my exact random knowledge. I could see Camp Granada being a big stumper - it was probably the first novelty song I ever heard.
People my age probably got it from The Simpsons. Clip below:
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:29 pm NATIONALITY RHYMES $400: Joy for those of Geneva

What's your justification, that "Joy" is a woman's name and hence a Joy can be a "miss"?
Charming wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:16 pm I would probably be ruled incorrect for "French Polynesia". I think it would have been overly specific?
Well, given Charles de Brosses didn't literally coin "Polynesia" but "Polynésie," a "benefit of the doubt" interpretation of your response could be that you meant "Polynesia, but in French"!
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:30 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:45 pm

I could justify allowing it.
I don't get it.
Yes, I admit it, I didn't look at what the space shuttlers were carrying. I was looking at them - they were looking right back! - and listening to the clue.... :oops:
If Alan Dulles had been head of the FAA, no one would remember him. He was longest-serving CIA director, btw. The airport was named after his brother.
mas3cf wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:40 pm
I'm on the fence on this one. Leaning toward "I'd allow it" because the correct term is in your response, in (a subset of) the correct context. Then again, he did not coin the term "French Polynesia" as far as I can tell. Tough call. Would be interested to hear other thought.
But then, he didn't quite coin the term Polynesia, either. He coined the term Polynésie...which is French Polynesia! I think I'm serious about that.
I liked this clue, a geography clue that didn't require visualizing a map except in the vaguest way...