Monday, March 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:47 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:29 pm NATIONALITY RHYMES $400: Joy for those of Geneva

Any reason not to count my response of Swiss miss instead of the show's Swiss bliss?
What's your justification, that "Joy" is a woman's name and hence a Joy can be a "miss"?
I suppose the clue could be about folks who really love hot chocolate... ;)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:45 pm To the contestants who did not get the John Young & Robert Crippen visual clue: Did you see what they were holding? Are video clues that tough in the studio? So strange.
That one blew my mind. Someone should have gotten that one even without the photo.

FJ took me a good 25 seconds, but I got it. I was looking for something with a French etymology.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:59 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:29 pm NATIONALITY RHYMES $400: Joy for those of Geneva

Any reason not to count my response of Swiss miss instead of the show's Swiss bliss?
What's your justification, that "Joy" is a woman's name and hence a Joy can be a "miss"?
My thinking was miss in lower case and a female name while I think the brand Swiss Miss has to work as well. No one has convinced me my response was wrong yet so I'm still counting it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:05 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:45 pm To the contestants who did not get the John Young & Robert Crippen visual clue: Did you see what they were holding? Are video clues that tough in the studio? So strange.
That one blew my mind. Someone should have gotten that one even without the photo.

FJ took me a good 25 seconds, but I got it. I was looking for something with a French etymology.
After reading more comments around the web I'm seeing some justification about players perhaps being unsure about which Shuttle mission. Throw in nothing to read and perhaps it's enough to cause problems for some.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Pretty strong game for me today, but I have 1 question for the judges and one small miss when I analyzed it later:

Judges: I said King's Crossing instead of King's Cross. Thoughts?

The one I kicked myself over was saying "JUMPED over the lazy dog" instead of "jumps". Going over the phrase, I realized "jumps" is the only word with an S, so it has to be "jumps". I blame Bill Murray in Stripes for feeling overconfident on that one :lol:

I initially added "French" to my FJ response, but decided to leave the nationality for the DJ category :mrgreen:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:05 pm
davey wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:59 pm

My thinking was miss in lower case and a female name while I think the brand Swiss Miss has to work as well. No one has convinced me my response was wrong yet so I'm still counting it.
For those of Geneva, an unmarried woman named Joy would be a Fräulein or a mademoiselle or a signorina or whatever the Romansh word would be; now, an unmarried Genevan woman named Joy would be a Swiss miss, and "Joy in Geneva" would be ambiguous enough that you could get away with it, but I can't see how "Joy for those of Geneva" could work out as the same phrase.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:08 pm

After reading more comments around the web I'm seeing some justification about players perhaps being unsure about which Shuttle mission. Throw in nothing to read and perhaps it's enough to cause problems for some.
I'm a bit of a space nut, but Young and Crippen should be pavlovian for the first Shuttle mission, IMO.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

MarkBarrett wrote:Was Johnny really in the studio or it was fancy editing work from a previous glimpse of the announcer?
I am positive it was fancy editing work.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:11 pm Judges: I said King's Crossing instead of King's Cross. Thoughts?
No, definitely not -- that's the wrong word. (It would be like saying "Penn Stationary" or "Grandfather Central Terminal.")
davey

Post by davey »

trainman wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote:Was Johnny really in the studio or it was fancy editing work from a previous glimpse of the announcer?
I am positive it was fancy editing work.
Was it fancy? Looked pretty simple to me, and with no audience - right? - easy to justify.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:15 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:08 pm

I'm a bit of a space nut, but Young and Crippen should be pavlovian for the first Shuttle mission, IMO.
To me Crippen is pavlov for notorious London murderer...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:11 pm The one I kicked myself over was saying "JUMPED over the lazy dog" instead of "jumps". Going over the phrase, I realized "jumps" is the only word with an S, so it has to be "jumps". I blame Bill Murray in Stripes for feeling overconfident on that one :lol:
Why? They say "jumps" in that, too.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:30 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:11 pm The one I kicked myself over was saying "JUMPED over the lazy dog" instead of "jumps". Going over the phrase, I realized "jumps" is the only word with an S, so it has to be "jumps". I blame Bill Murray in Stripes for feeling overconfident on that one :lol:
Why? They say "jumps" in that, too.
I know, I was just shifting blame and claiming that I couldn't possibly be wrong :mrgreen:
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I was way too general in my response of FJ!, and went with "South Pacific". I didn't think of the logic there - the Pacific Ocean surely had been named long before, and there's no reason to coin adding the "South" to it. But I was blinded by the word "australes", which I knew meant "southern", as in the vague region around Australia. Rereading the clue would have helped me...I had the vague feeling it was one of those groups of islands that are named in contrast to each other, like leeward/windward islands, or Greater/Lesser Antilles, but I knew those were completely in the wrong region. Poly/mela/micro -nesia would have fit the bill perfectly, and "poly" was practically in the clue.

Nice tribute to Johnny Gilbert. For his sake, I hope and assume that was fancy editing.

I also had the quick brown fox jumpS instead of jumpED. A quick check on my keyboard showed I was wrong. Mavis Beacon never had me type that, IIRC.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was cheering for Jillian. She got severely outplayed.

I can't think of the name of a single head of the FAA.* I was thinking the clue was negbait for Allen's brother John Foster Dulles, Secretary of State in those same years. However, the clue specifically referred to this government agency. That should have steered someone away from a cabinet department.

I got Polynesia right away.

* looking at the list of FAA administrators after I wrote this, the only name I recognize is Alexander Butterfield, whose claim to fame is not heading the FAA but being the person who revealed the existence of a taping system in the Nixon Oval Office.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Since I spent my career at the FAA I knew quite a few administrators. The most infamous one had his brief tenure ended because he drove the wrong direction on a highway after a night of heavy drinking.

I feel like we’ve seen Polynesia before on Jeopardy. Of maybe it was Survivor. Jon played an excellent game.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:40 pm I did miss the top clue in TV when I couldn’t pull Johnson fast enough.
I can't be the only one snickering like Beavis and Butt-head.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Oceania here too. And I've been to Polynesia. :x
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:37 pm
I also had the quick brown fox jumpS instead of jumpED. A quick check on my keyboard showed I was wrong. Mavis Beacon never had me type that, IIRC.
Not sure if you typed wrong or remembered wrong but jumps is correct. You need the S while the word dog takes care of the D.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:15 pm
Not sure if you typed wrong or remembered wrong but jumps is correct. You need the S while the word dog takes care of the D.
I've long thought that pangram should be replaced by the more elegant "Jackdaws love my big sphinx of quartz".
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:15 pm
Oops - I got it backwards and then got it backwards again. ED = bad, S = good.