Wednesday, March 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EUROPEAN LANDMARKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the principal architects working on it from the mid-1500s to the 1980s, like Pierre Lescot & Hector Lefuel, none were foreigners

Jon Spurney: 14200-14200=0
Melis Sahin-Collins: 2000-0=2000 (new champ)
Tim Everhart: 14200-14200=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
the Louvre (Jon – Notre Dame) (Melis – Arce de Triomphe) (Tim – sacre couer)

Daily Doubles
Tim: 600-1000
Tim: 10200+4000
Melis: 5600-4000

Coryats
Jon: 14200
Melis: 6000
Tim: 12400

Combined: 32,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jon: 3800
Melis: 4400
Tim: 2600
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

After DD2 Tim led 14200 to 3800 to 4400. Nice job by Jon to reach a tie for the lead going into the FJ! round without the help of DDs.

The FJ! category had me precall five things in Italy, one in Greece, one in Germany and when my next thought was the Little Mermaid statue I stopped playing.

The FJ! clue had me with no great inspiration for a guess and I wrote Jon's guess. Still thinking it had to be in France I had another idea and switched to the correct place. Before I could write the fourth letter I stopped and I peid the price when I thought that can't be right and went back to my first instinct. :evil:

Too many times it seems like something in the FJ! clue's wording is not hitting me right and I can't close the deal.

With the parade of guest hosts on tap I thought a good way to help viewers deal with it could be for the powers to release a Kraken. It would be a good time to chew up some games before the 2023 ToC fills up too early. Still waiting obviously.

Melis was in the perfect spot to prevail on a TS FJ! clue and I'll be listening for Johnny to chuckle on the winning total for tomorrow's introduction.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

A French landmark that's been around since the 1500s? Must be the Chunnel!

It might have helped if I had heard the clue out loud. I thought Hector might be a Brit.
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:46 pm Too many times it seems like something in the FJ! clue's wording is not hitting me right and I can't close the deal.
It's that Of at the beginning. I think it's grammatically correct, but it still parses weird.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ces't fini: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6958

Plenty of trash to spare to win from the 4th podium.

Melis added a "Hi" in her FJ! response. It kind of looks like Ayden though I'm not sure about the "e".

For her first name can someone give me a pronunciation guide to add to her page, please? I don't trust myself in guessing "MUH-lees".
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

I think both ends of the date range on the FJ! were helpful, if one keyed in on the correct country quickly and gave them some thought.
Leander

Post by Leander »

mahatma wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:31 pm I think both ends of the date range on the FJ! were helpful, if one keyed in on the correct country quickly and gave them some thought.
The tricky part is that the clue sort of implies that work on the building ended in the 1980’s with the last French architect, however most people know about the IM Pei pyramid addition and that he is not French and might be fuzzy on the timing.

Despite that, I couldn’t think of any other French building that fit the date range, and went with it with some misgivings.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

2nd Time in the Post Trebek era we have had a tie going into final.

I wrote Down leaning Tower of Pisa. for some reason it never clicked they were looking for something in France.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,400
43 R/2 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: esquire (DD), Mt. Rainier, Shannon Tweed, resilient, Pope Francis, hard-nosed

Sometimes you just gotta be in the right place at the right time. Props to Melis (which I'm pretty sure is meh-LEESE, Mark) for correctly standing pat in FJ! It's crazy to think that Jon's correct response on the Paddington Bear clue likely cost him thousands of dollars and at least one more turn at the champion's lectern.

I thought of all sorts of French landmarks, but the Louvre never came to mind. Had it done so, perhaps I would have recognized the clue's sly nod to I.M. Pei. I ended up matching the outgoing champ's response of Notre Dame.
Sprinkles are for winners.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

My money is on Notre Dame outpolling the correct response here...
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

Another Notre Dame here. I was unaware that the Louvre was that old. I'm 0/3 in FJs this week for the first time in a while.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

The Talking Mime wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:38 pm Another Notre Dame here. I was unaware that the Louvre was that old. I'm 0/3 in FJs this week for the first time in a while.
I also didn't think the Louvre was that old. For some reason Notre Dame completely slipped my mind, so I went with Versailles from my couch. When I saw Notre Dame, I thought for sure that was the right answer, then it wasn't.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:23 pm Ces't fini: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6958
C'est ( a contraction of ce est)...

Like others, I went with ND. Honestly, if you told me it was the Louvre, I still wouldn't have picked it, as I didn't think it was nearly that old.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I zeroed in on the Louvre instantly but then went astray on the no foreigners pin, thinking oh, they mean I. M. Pei so it’s *not the Louvre. Still, I assumed one of the players would figure it out
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:23 pm Ces't fini: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6958
C'est ( a contraction of ce est)...

Like others, I went with ND. Honestly, if you told me it was the Louvre, I still wouldn't have picked it, as I didn't think it was nearly that old.
There went my perfect record as I had it right the previous two times I did it. Thanks. I probably should avoid typing French as it was writing by hand way back in high school.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

FJ needed 'until' the 1980s to make sense. Terrible wording. Add another Notre Dame.

Congrats to Melis. I always am impressed by a non-native American winning. Plus a smart wager, not falling for the all-in.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:10 pm FJ needed 'until' the 1980s to make sense. Terrible wording.
This.

Jon and Tim need to be invited back.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:16 pm
alietr wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:10 pm FJ needed 'until' the 1980s to make sense. Terrible wording.
This.

I don't think the poor wording makes their responses any less incorrect. Pierre Lescot and Hector Lefuel still have nothing to do with Notre Dame or Sacre Couer.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:24 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:16 pm
This.

I don't think the poor wording makes their responses any less incorrect. Pierre Lescot and Hector Lefuel still have nothing to do with Notre Dame or Sacre Couer.
The problem isn't that the poor wording doesn't suddenly make Jon and Tim's responses correct.

The problem is that the poor wording means as worded, the clue technically lacks a correct response. That has been enough to invite contestants back in the past, and it should tonight as well.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan