Friday, March 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, March 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

I got FJ, but took long enough to come up with it to start panicking (which probably lengthened the process still further). I don't even remember how I got it to pop into my mind, but the means don't matter when you've got the end.
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

I don't know how the archivists would go about handling this (if at all) but Jeopardy posted a video on Twitter of the Ryan Gosling category including the unplayed final clue.

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

47R. 3/4 on big clues. I missed Journey. I thought of Queen, read it again and realized it had to be American, and then started cycling through bands that might have had a greatest hit albums on the chart for 600 weeks. Pink Floyd? No. Rolling Stones? No. The Clash? No. Would have written down Duran Duran.

I used to live somewhere where I had to regularly listen to a Journey cover band. I'm really not a fan.

Mike Richards did well. I liked his reaction to Laura's interview today.

Only got Jonathan Livingston Seagull on the rebound.

Missed Archaeopteryx, Light in August, and cortex. I'll read about those to get them next time.

Crazy, Stupid, Love is really funny but I avoided watching it for a while because I thought it would be sappy.

Was the path to Cerberus from mythical canine or is the Australian naval base a common thing to know? When it said canine and Australia I thought of Dingo which didn't make sense for that clue. Even if it does have a myth associated with it.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice to see the $2000 Gosling clue. Thanks MK GPF.

I wish J! would always do this as I would not mind learning something from the missing NAVY BASES clue either.

As for adding it to the archive? I can't just add it as a note under the $1600 without RKS giving approval. I can't recall other unplayed clues that turned up getting archived either.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjhunt
Valued Contributor

Post by mjhunt »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:45 pm Coryat: $41,400
49 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Miss Saigon (DD), Baltic Sea, Jonathan Livingston Seagull, Our Mutual Friend, Jesse James

Fun fact: "Don't Stop Believin'" is the best-selling digital single of the pre-digital era. It is far more popular today than it was upon release 40 years ago. Last week, it became the second pre-digital song--Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" was the first--to have been streamed one billion times on Spotify.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:50 pm The game leaves me with torn feelings. On one side I'm glad stumblebum Jim is gone as I've had enough of his incorrect responses such as the wrong name for the Seagull or not being in 2021 when naming cities (and wrong anyway). On the other hand I hate that Jim did not get a chance to play the $2000 clue in RYAN GOSLING MOVIE ROLES since it's possible he could have broken the lock.
This bugged me a lot. It has never appeared that J! has a set amount of time for each round, and it doesn't seem like it would be that hard to edit such that there's time for one more clue, particularly when it was the difference between a potentially competitive FJ! and one that was merely academic.

The curse of knowledge may have gotten drama teacher Ann on DD1, as she went with the relatively obscure Hot Mikado. Then again, she's also an English teacher and couldn't nail down Jonathan Livingston Seagull despite being spotted two-thirds of the title, so who knows.

The Shell/She'll thing was cute but severely undervalued at $400. Same with unicorn fish.
I agree with you about making room for the last clue, but it should also be noted that if he had called the $2,000 clue first and gotten it, he would have won regardless of editing. So, it seems Jim contributed to his own situation.
Last edited by mjhunt on Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:02 pm Nice to see the $2000 Gosling clue. Thanks MK.

I wish J! would always do this as I would not mind learning something from the missing NAVY BASES clue either.

As for adding it to the archive? I can't just add it as a note under the $1600 without RKS giving approval. I can't recall other unplayed clues that turned up getting archived either.
GettysburgPhillyFan posted the Gosling clue but I'll happily take credit for it.
Spoiler
I got The Nice Guys. Just recently watched Blade Runner 2049 so I was watching out for that one but it didn't come up.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:02 pm As for adding it to the archive? I can't just add it as a note under the $1600 without RKS giving approval. I can't recall other unplayed clues that turned up getting archived either.
Didn't the Pokémon category last year have an unplayed clue that got posted on YouTube?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Austin Powers wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:44 pm I knew this one.
Ha :)

I couldn't come up with it. I guessed Aerosmith just going on "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing" as the optimistic song despite knowing that particular song is not from the '80s.
MattKnowles wrote:I missed Journey. I thought of Queen, read it again and realized it had to be American, and then started cycling through bands that might have had a greatest hit albums on the chart for 600 weeks. Pink Floyd? No. Rolling Stones? No. The Clash? No. Would have written down Duran Duran.
I don't get it. Every other band you listed is also British.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:40 pm This one hinges on how many "optimistic 80s anthems" you can bring to mind in 30 seconds. I got there pretty quick, but under the lights it could be a-whole-nother story.

The other two albums are:
The Easier One
Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon
That is not a greatest hits album.

I got Journey right away and then toyed with Fleetwood Mac, whose song Don't Stop is not only optimistic but was the theme song at Bill Clinton's inauguration. But I knew that their greatest hits had not spent 600 weeks on the Billboard Chart.

Personally I've always preferred Olivia Newton-John's Don't Stop Believing with a g to the journey hit.

I was hoping the Frog Queen would win. I didn't like the champ with all of his missteps and Pregnant pauses. I don't like the new champ who makes every response sound like a wild guess.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Did anyone else get plankton because J! has mentioned before that the word "planet" is also from the Greek for "wandering"?

FJ was just too vague to me. I said the Beach Boys just to have something.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:29 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:40 pm This one hinges on how many "optimistic 80s anthems" you can bring to mind in 30 seconds. I got there pretty quick, but under the lights it could be a-whole-nother story.

The Easier One
Did he say it was? That portion of his remarks was in response to the FJ saying Journey's greatest hits album was only the third album to be on the Billboard 200 for 600 weeks. He was naming the first two. Read, comprehend, post.

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:39 am Did anyone else get plankton because J! has mentioned before that the word "planet" is also from the Greek for "wandering"?
It wasn't J!-influenced, but I definitely tried (unsuccessfully) to solve that clue by working my way from "planet."
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:57 am

The Easier One
Did he say it was? That portion of his remarks was in response to the FJ saying Journey's greatest hits album was only the third album to be on the Billboard 200 for 600 weeks. He was naming the first two. Read, comprehend, post.
So it is a random bit of trivia, which need not be considered en route to determining the answer to Final Jeopardy.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

Anybody else guess The Eagles? I couldn't think of an optimistic hit, but many weeks on the charts was reasonable.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

DanKirshner wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:28 am Anybody else guess The Eagles? I couldn't think of an optimistic hit, but many weeks on the charts was reasonable.
Yeah, I did. Never in a million years would have thought Journey sold that well.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

floridagator wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:32 am
seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:57 am

The Easier One
So it is a random bit of trivia, which need not be considered en route to determining the answer to Final Jeopardy.
Not random, but it is a bit of trivia, and it did not need to be considered for FJ.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:32 pm No, of course it was Journey...or as the kids today call it, "That song from 'Glee'".
And this definitely-not-a-kid calls it "that song from the last episode of The Sopranos".

I was all over the map on this one. Aerosmith, Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac. The problem I was bumping up against was due to incorrectly parsing the clue: I misunderstood that the Greatest Hits album was released in 2020, not that it was the 600th week of its stay on the chart, and most/all of these groups had their Greatest Hits released quite a while ago. (I know some bands have multiple greatest hits releases but they usually don't overlap in time). Went with Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, although I did not have any particular anthem in mind.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Definitely nottttttttttt a rock n roll fan here, but with the bit that said this greatest hits album had gotten on the charts for over ten years led me to think "Well, it has to be somebody I've heard of" and not give up.

No chance I was gonna remember what act might have performed an "optimistic anthem". Just name a longtime-famous band that's not too early for the 80's...

So, I thought of the Eagles (too early, maybe?), Queen (also too early, maybe?) , and then went with Journey. For a change, a guess that worked!

"That song from Glee!"??? Never watched the show, so I don't know any songs they've done. Never watched the Sopranos either, so that angle wouldn't have helped... Good thing I didn't have to know any of these angles.

At least I knew the song when the title was mentioned... It has been played countless times at sports events, particularly baseball.

Anyway, Michael Richards was solid in his guest run and he'd be fine to take the job on a permanent basis, but I prefer Ken thus far.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:29 am I got Journey right away and then toyed with Fleetwood Mac, whose song Don't Stop is not only optimistic but was the theme song at Bill Clinton's inauguration. But I knew that their greatest hits had not spent 600 weeks on the Billboard Chart.
Also that song is from "Rumours" which was released in 1977. Calling them an American band is also a stretch. Fleetwood Mac was my wife's guess, by the way.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:10 am
MattKnowles wrote:I missed Journey. I thought of Queen, read it again and realized it had to be American, and then started cycling through bands that might have had a greatest hit albums on the chart for 600 weeks. Pink Floyd? No. Rolling Stones? No. The Clash? No. Would have written down Duran Duran.
I don't get it. Every other band you listed is also British.
Nothing special about Duran Duran. It would have been a bad guess. I thought Duran Duran was American so even more of a bad guess than I thought.
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:39 am Did anyone else get plankton because J! has mentioned before that the word "planet" is also from the Greek for "wandering"?
That seems like a good way to get it. I knew that the red tides were caused by algae and that didn't help. I didn't realize that plankton and algae overlapped. Plankton is just a blanket term for any organism found in a liquid that can't propel itself. From Wikipedia: Marine plankton includes bacteria, archaea, algae, protozoa, and...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

GettysburgPhillyFan wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:54 pm I don't know how the archivists would go about handling this (if at all) but Jeopardy posted a video on Twitter of the Ryan Gosling category including the unplayed final clue.
My 0/4 becomes an 0/5.