PRESIDENTIAL BIRTHPLACES 3/2/21 J! Round

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How did you do with PRESIDENTIAL BIRTHPLACES on 3/2/21?

Poll ended at Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:09 pm

Honolulu
99%
Hope
93%
Brookline
45%
Kinderhook
65%
Yorba Linda
87%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
31%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed them all.
No votes
I was 4/5 and the only one I did not get right was Brookline.
32%
I was 4/5 and the only one I did not get was one other than Brookline.
11%
I was 3/5.
17%
I was 2/5.
7%
I was 1/5.
1%
I have set foot in Honolulu.
25%
I have set foot in Hope.
3%
I have set foot in Brookline.
23%
I have set foot in Kinderhook.
3%
I have set foot in Yorba Linda.
15%
I guessed a wrong president for at least one of the birthplaces.
17%

Total votes: 71

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

PRESIDENTIAL BIRTHPLACES 3/2/21 J! Round

Post by MarkBarrett »

The side poll about BASEBALL NICKNAMES went over well enough with a fun feast of comments, so I'll try another one to see how the writers did valuing the clues.

PRESIDENTIAL BIRTHPLACES

$200: Honolulu
$400: Hope
$600 Brookline
$800: Kinderhook
$1000: Yorba Linda

Correct responses:
Spoiler
Barack Obama
Bill Clinton
John F. Kennedy
Martin Van Buren
Richard Nixon
The players were 4/5, only being stumped by the $600 clue. That was my result as well as I got to Massachusetts and then wasted too much time thinking about Adams & Bush x 2.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: PRESIDENTIAL BIRTHPLACES 3/2/21 J! Round

Post by Bamaman »

I only missed Brookline and I don’t think I even had a guess. Never been to any of the places.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Been to: Honolulu, Yorba Linda and for the latter, specifically to the Nixon Library (inc. birthplace).
I was apparently only a mile away from Brookline at the closest when I went to Boston; hadn't a clue it was even there.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Missed Brookline, but had to think real hard to pull Kinderhook. That particular piece of trivia had been shoved way to the back of my brain.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

When I was born my parents had their apartment in Brookline.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I'm surprised Brookline is polling so low thus far, but then again, I used to live in Boston so my perspective is probably a bit skewed on that one.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Missed Kinderhook, thought it was W.H.Harrison instead of Van Buren.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I almost got stumped on Brookline, but I could feel the phrase "Brookline, Massachusetts" in my mind, and once I considered Kennedy, it felt familiar to me as something I had read as his birthplace before. I got 'em all.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:26 pm I was apparently only a mile away from Brookline at the closest when I went to Boston; hadn't a clue it was even there.
My trip to Boston got me about 3 miles away (I did get to the JFK Presidential Library and Museum, though). Haven't been to any of the others.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Brookline was already J-Canon, with a half-dozen or so hits in the Archive as the President's birthplace. There was also one hit each for it as the birthplace of RFK and of Mike Dukakis.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Honolulu and Hope. I was a little too slow connecting the dots with Kinderhook; I'd have gotten there with a couple more seconds. No guesses on the others.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

There was sufficient press about the first guy's birthplace for me to get that one.
Should have gotten Hope. Knew that but couldn't pull it in time.
No clue at all on 3 and 4.
I live just a few miles from the last guy's library and birthplace. Any one who lived through his Presidency likely thinks this one is overvalued. Who can forget the Western White House?
--Peter
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I am genuinely shocked that people found Brookline that hard. I thought it was pretty well known. East Coast Bias I guess.

Ran the category without particular difficulty. I figured Kinderhook would be the hard one, shows what I know.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I have reverse East Coast bias - I live about 15-20 miles from Brookline and can't believe that so many of you have been there, much less know that it's in Massachusetts. Did you get forget to get off the T and go an extra stop?

But, that said, if you can get "Brookline is in Massachusetts", JFK isn't exactly a huge stretch. You've got a 1 in 4 shot, and you might guess that 2 were born in the same town (they were), and you might not even know the fourth unless you really thought it through for longer than a typical J! clue.

TBH, I'd have had a hard time doing that birthplace in reverse, from JFK to Brookline. Well, until now.

Then again, I was born in Wellesley, and when my parents moved to Cleveland (well, Shaker Heights) when I was 9, I said I was "from Boston" because I figured nobody knew Wellesley. I guess I didn't really take into account that the college in our town was one of the famed Seven Sisters, and would, in about 8 years, be known as the alma mater of a First Lady.

Yorba Linda was easy for me, although I escaped living during Nixon's era by about 4 years. I wouldn't have known whether Yorba Linda was his birth place or where he had his higher education or both, but I knew Yorba Linda meant Nixon. And, upon review, I also had associated Whittier with Nixon, which takes care of the confusion between birthplace and college.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Brookline is home to The Country Club, a very famous course where two shocking events happened in huge competitions in the 20th century. Any respectable golfer knows exactly where it is. From there it's an easy step to JFK if not already known. The only clue where one might have to connect two dots, but you just need to know where Brookline is. If not, stay clam.

The other four are Pavlov's from Presidential Trivia 101.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Wasn’t Dukakis also born in Brookline? I got all 5, easily. I’ve been to Honolulu and also Yoruba Linda, specifically for the President Nixon Museum. I bought the RMN Meets Elvis t-shirt. I had to go to El Lay at the beginning of the year & I wanted to go back there but it was closed due to CV.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:35 pm I live just a few miles from the last guy's library and birthplace. Any one who lived through his Presidency likely thinks this one is overvalued. Who can forget the Western White House?
Remembering the the Western White House might throw one off, or ar least slow one down. It was in San Clemente, not Yorba Linda. I have been to the birthplace and library. I also spent a Saturday afternoon recreating on the beach at a Coast Guard facility next to the WWH. This would have been late '70s or early '80s when the Nixons wete still there.
OCSam
billiej

Post by billiej »

Given a few extra seconds I could've had 5/5, but in my rush I mistook Brookline for Braintree. (Facepalm)
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

4/5 except Yorba Linda. Didn't even have a guess. Had no idea it was that well known.